Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2012, 14:57   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants.

You are quite right Mandar. I fail to understand why the drivers of such buses (ST, citybus like PMPML) etc don't take the ownership of the vehicle they drive (which is their livelihood). If it is your own vehicle would you ever leave it in the parking bay with the keys on it, never. You would be scared to do so for the simple fear of it being stolen. Since the drivers of these buses don't care a damn about their buses, they are least bothered if the key is left in the bus itself. Most of the times they don't even shut the engine. Such buses then become mobile killing machines in the hands of unscrupulous elements
Old 25th January 2012, 15:07   #17
Senior - BHPian

All of our bus stands, local or ST, are like sitting ducks. Anyone can walk in, do anything, and walk out as if strolling in a park. Z E R O security, total chaos, buses are parked anywhere, anyhow. Half buses idling and happily wasting a lot of diesel. These idling buses without drivers are the main cause of these terrifying incidences. When you ask the staff members regarding shutting down the engine, their typical answer is "Sir, ek bar bus band kiya to fir chalu nahi hota..."

Man, this reminds me of the amazingly managed Boston bus stand. I was waiting at that bus stand for about 45 minutes before my bus came and I felt it like a dream bus stand for any Indian. Anyways,...dreams are dreams.
Old 25th January 2012, 15:10   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
If it is your own vehicle would you ever leave it in the parking bay with the keys on it, never. You would be scared to do so for the simple fear of it being stolen.
I read on one of the news sites that the person had the master key for the vehicles.

I was surprised to read that there is one master key which allows anyone to drive off with any bus.
Old 25th January 2012, 15:12   #19
Senior - BHPian

Mind boggling statistics Mandar. They are so lax about bus security, because frankly, who would want to steal a bus ? Its not easy to dispose of in exhange for money and there is precious little you can pilfer from it which hasnt been already pilfered by insiders.
Does anyone know of the exact chronology of events? The entire carnage is very tragic. Heard from someone that it was a student who stopped him in the end.
Old 25th January 2012, 15:16   #20
Senior - BHPian

My God. Such shocking incidence :( At around afternoon today there was an accident near lane 7 Koregaon Park. I passed that area about 2, and traffic controllers were controlling the traffic, pretty unusual for 2PM. Today is an accident day :(
Old 25th January 2012, 15:29   #21
BHPian

What a horrible incident . Anything can happen on the Indian roads.
People lost their lives for absolutely no fault of theirs. Really sad.
Old 25th January 2012, 15:57   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
Does anyone know of the exact chronology of events? The entire carnage is very tragic. Heard from someone that it was a student who stopped him in the end.
Ojas, I think there was also an incident last year when some school kids drove off with a PMT bus from Kothrud depot and rammed it somewhere near Durga cafe sometime in the am. There are so many buses parked overnight near all these depots in the open

Chronology of events
Pune rampage: How it unfolded - India - DNA

List of lives he directly impacted
Pune rampage: List of the deceased - India - DNA
Old 25th January 2012, 16:34   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
.... These idling buses without drivers are the main cause of these terrifying incidences. When you ask the staff members regarding shutting down the engine, their typical answer is "Sir, ek bar bus band kiya to fir chalu nahi hota..."
My bike's service center is on Market Yard road and after giving the bike for servicing under warranty, I had a chance to "sit" in one of the city buses from City Pride to Aundh. That was the first and last time for me.
The damn bus was so noisy; the gear lever won't move with one hand, so the driver had to use both hands (without any exaggeration) in busy Swargate / Tilak Road areas. There was a whole panel missing from the floor and I could see entire gear box and transmission channel and road beneath it. So large it was that two adults can go in - and it was right at the passage way to the front door.

This is the condition of the buses, and as Ajay has said, I saw there was no key to the bus. He used two wires below steering wheel when he started the bus from PMC.
Old 25th January 2012, 17:12   #24
Senior - BHPian

May the deceased's souls rest in peace. It is very tragic and all due to a senseless maniac.

Apparently he started the bus with the help of a common key as per DNA!

Last edited by _raVan_ : 25th January 2012 at 17:24.
Old 25th January 2012, 17:20   #25
J.Ravi

OMG. Ten people were killed and 27 injured by an insane driver. Nobody is safe on the road.

Old 25th January 2012, 17:23   #26
BHPian

Re: PUNE bus Hijack

Very saddenning indeed.
Is the development in India taking its toll.
We had seen / heard of such incidents in west.
First time to be heard in our country.
Old 25th January 2012, 17:24   #27
BHPian

Re: PUNE bus Hijack

Quote:
Originally Posted by BheemBoy View Post
Nine dead and more than 30 injured in the bus hijack attempt in Pune.

Link:Nine killed as mentally ill man hijacks Pune bus - 1 - *

Very shocking and difficult to digest.
RIP for accident victims.

Mods: Searched and couldn't find any thread / post about this incident. Please delete if it's in wrong section or already discussed.
This is already being discussed in the Accidents in India thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...-pics-687.html

And here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post2657893

EDIT: Just saw others have also provided the info.

Cheers!
Irish

Last edited by Irish : 25th January 2012 at 17:26.
Old 25th January 2012, 17:28   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post

Apparently he started the bus with the help of a common key as per DNA!
I would not go blindly with DNA's version of events because they have this habit of contradicting themselves: for example the driver Mane's age varies from 30 to 41 on various reports on their website.

They have a puff piece on some "braveheart" who tried to stop the rampage when it was just starting. They have 4 names in there- not sure which of them is the aforementioned braveheart.

The only piece that actually touched my heart was a personalised account of those who were killed in this meaningless tragedy. Despite the bad grammar it makes for poignant reading. The link is: Pune rampage: List of the deceased - India - DNA
Old 25th January 2012, 17:31   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
The only piece that actually touched my heart was a personalised account of those who were killed in this meaningless tragedy. Despite the bad grammar it makes for poignant reading. The link is: Pune rampage: List of the deceased - India - DNA
I had already gone through that link. Its really heart wrenching. May God give courage and support to those who lost their dear ones.
Old 25th January 2012, 19:33   #30
dot
Senior - BHPian

Just went through that link. It was really terrible. All those people were going about their daily duties...how do you justify this, what do you tell their near and dear ones. And, it could have happened to any one of us.

This is same as terror deaths.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks