Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2013, 15:04   #226
Senior - BHPian

Re: Review of the Yashwantrao Chavan Expressway (Mumbai-Pune)

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Hazards should be used only for two purposes - one when you make an emergency stop and park at the shoulder of a road and the second is for suddenly forceful braking because of some road hazard. Other than that they should not be touched.

Actually it is not. The post directly above yours by reignofchaos (see above) clearly states exactly when these lights are to be used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
I used the hazard lights in dense fog, when visibility was down to a few metres. Hope it's ok?

Last edited by khoj : 28th August 2013 at 15:06.
Old 2nd October 2013, 08:17   #227
BHPian

Can anyone who has travelled recently between Pune and Mumbai advise the latest position of the road work being carried out between the end of the Expressway at Panvel and the Turbhe flyover. Also, between the end of the Vashi creek bridge and the ongoing flyover work at Mankhurd Junction. Thanks in advance.
Old 5th October 2013, 20:10   #228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suniladhiya View Post
Can anyone who has travelled recently between Pune and Mumbai advise the latest position of the road work being carried out between the end of the Expressway at Panvel and the Turbhe flyover. Also, between the end of the Vashi creek bridge and the ongoing flyover work at Mankhurd Junction. Thanks in advance.

Hey guys, awaiting your guidance on my above query

Thanks in advance
Old 5th October 2013, 20:16   #229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey guys, awaiting your guidance on my above query

Thanks in advance
If there's no news, you can safely assume it's still on. Most likely the points of blockage will have shifted up or down, but you would still expect jams en route.
Old 7th October 2013, 06:53   #230
BHPian

Quote:
It's still the same. Haphazard lane blocking and incomplete constructions. There are still heavy traffic jams from end of expressway till Kharghar. Again after Uran fata, Nerul Juinagar stretch is nightmare.

Best would be to take Kalamboli-JNPT-Palm Beach-Vashi route!
Old 7th October 2013, 10:50   #231
BHPian

Mods: Sorry for Off topic. But an important suggestion for all.

I saw the accident yesterday on the Yashwantrao Chavan Expressway (Mumbai-Pune).

Link :- http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/23620038.cms

Please change your lane to left once you saw the toll booth sign board and reduced your speed to 40 - 50 KMPH.

I know the left lane is for heavy vehicle but after the consecutive accident on the same spot. I think this is the safe one.

IRB company should install bigger rumbler at least 500 - 700 meters before the toll booth.
KALINGA is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2013, 13:05   #232
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KALINGA View Post
Mods: Sorry for Off topic. But an important suggestion for all.

I saw the accident yesterday on the Yashwantrao Chavan Expressway (Mumbai-Pune).

IRB company should install bigger rumbler at least 500 - 700 meters before the toll booth.
But why are the accidents happening on the toll booth? I mean, we can clearly see the lights of the toll booth from quite a distance.

Is it because drivers are mis-judging their speed and are not able to brake in time?
raj_5004 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2013, 13:09   #233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
But why are the accidents happening on the toll booth? I mean, we can clearly see the lights of the toll booth from quite a distance.

Is it because drivers are mis-judging their speed and are not able to brake in time?
Over confidence that the car may stop at that speed. I would term such drivers as maniacs. The toll is visible from 1 kms away, Straight road with so many signs that there is a toll booth ahead and still people dont want to release the foot off the accelerator.

The other day i was speaking to the IRB official. He told me that alto suddenly changed lane to grab the free post and truck driver suddenly got surprised and couldnt control the vehicle and rammed it.
amit_mechengg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2013, 13:09   #234
BHPian

Quote:

Is it because drivers are misjudging their speed and are not able to brake in time?
The one and only reason come to my mind is " drivers are misjudging their speed and are not able to brake in time".

Also some time driver dozed off at the time of driving.
KALINGA is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2013, 15:21   #235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
trying to get ahead of the smart (or who thinks he is smart) by changing lanes at the last moment. Or someone trying to jump a long queue and others not giving him way.
We have no shortage of people who think they are very smart to pull off such stunts. While everyone else just wonders where this moron came from!

Last edited by selfdrive : 7th October 2013 at 15:23.
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2013, 12:56   #236
BHPian

There is a news today that RFID based toll collection will start on the eway soon:

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/23997269.cms

The article says, such scheme was present in 2007 though drew poor response. Anyone recollects such scheme and any idea why the response was poor?

There is only 1 lane going to be reserved for e-collection. I think, depending on the response they might have to increase those. Not sure what led to said poor response in 2007, the idea sounds pretty good.

Of course, it would be even better if such scheme extends all over the country, at least all highways where a single card would work.
mayuresh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2013, 11:21   #237
BHPian

Mumbai-Pune expressway to get green fence - http://www.dnaindia.com/mumbai/19032...or-green-fence
Old 6th December 2013, 09:53   #238
BHPian

Tanmay Pendse, brother of late Akshay Pendse, a young Marathi actor who lost his life along with veterna actor Anand Abhyankar last year in an e-way accident, due to a vehicle from opposite lane coming and hitting their car, has taken this initiative.

The system will detect lane cutting with use of high resolution cameras, capture the vehicle registration number and report it to the next toll booth, along with the location details of the lane cutting incidence. At the toll booth the driver could then be fined.

Did not find English version of it, though the news text is pretty much the above:
http://maharashtratimes.indiatimes.c.../26923166.cms?
mayuresh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2013, 15:08   #239
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayuresh View Post
Tanmay Pendse, brother of late Akshay Pendse, a young Marathi actor who lost his life along with veterna actor Anand Abhyankar last year in an e-way accident, due to a vehicle from opposite lane coming and hitting their car, has taken this initiative.

The system will detect lane cutting with use of high resolution cameras, capture the vehicle registration number and report it to the next toll booth, along with the location details of the lane cutting incidence. At the toll booth the driver could then be fined.

Did not find English version of it, though the news text is pretty much the above:
http://maharashtratimes.indiatimes.c.../26923166.cms?
This is a fantastic initiative if implemented properly.

In fact i logged in today just to report this. I travel frequently on this e-way and of late have observed all SUV's ( No offence meant) read Ecosport/Innovas/Dusters and particularly Fortuners crossing from 1st lane to 3rd and back to 1st at speeds in excess of 120. I find this ridiculous and extremely dangerous for themselves and other cars nearby.

On top of it, these guys give lane change indicators almost once they have completed the turn for formality sake.

Secondly, lot of MSRTC buses ( Semi luxury and normal ) buses love to occupy the 1st lane and drive at speeds which are less than 60 Km/hr.
Old 25th December 2013, 19:16   #240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayuresh View Post
This is a very sincere initiative and it will only improve over time. So I do not mean to take anything away from them, but this is to just clarify regarding the "detection of lane cutting".

This was demonstrated by Tanmay Pendse on IBN Lokmat today and I don't think the lane cutting is detected automatically. What they have provided is an ability to watch the camera through a mobile app in near real time. If you detect lane cutting you can just click on the screen and it will send the snapshot to the toll booth. Essentially people will have to play the watchdog. This can have several practicability constraints.

It can make a good academic project to try and detect the lane cutting automatically. It could also be that such systems are implemented elsewhere in the world.

Besides monitoring, they have recorded voices of some leading Marathi actors who will be appealing to commuters at the toll booths regarding safety checks and precautions. This is currently in Marathi and will be extended to other languages also.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks