Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2012, 17:10   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Review of the Yashwantrao Chavan Expressway (Mumbai-Pune)

There are rumours and plans afoot for building malls and entertainment places along the expressway. We have already seen deaths due to the stadium being built ...now this ?

I seriously think that the people in power have their brains in their backsides !

The problems are many and multiplying.

1) Road surface
2) Emergency services
3) Emergency telephones (I do not know whether they work)
4) Patrolling cops who only extort money at the Lonavala exit.
5) The design of the road.
6) 2 wheelers allowed for a small stretch of road
7) INSANE and UNCOUTH and IDIOT drivers
Old 31st January 2012, 17:26   #17
BHPian

Upto 5 years ago driving on YCEW was dream experience and I felt safe driving on the expressway. The regular users never drove faster than 100~110 kmph and always in the middle lane. We could easily spot the newbies who were first time users of expressway and drove like mad (and also met with accidents). Today the expressway resembles american stadium races where everyone is trying to outdo the others in terms of speed and haphazard lane-cutting to go ahead. The worst are the private volvo buses. Its scary experience and I feel relieved once I leave the highway.

I second @hvkumar sir's observations - One large Ambulance bus used to be parked at both Toll plazas and it was always with doctor on the board. In fact, in 2004 I was travelling in someones Sumo to catch a train at Panvel in the month of August. Road surface was slippery and our driver lost control on a easy turn while descending the last slope of the Ghat, only to bang on the rear guard bar (!) of a truck travelling in the left lane. Sumo was reduced to heap but as we were travelling at less than 50 kmph everyone survived with minor scratches here and there. That time within 5-7 minutes as we got out of the battered vehicle the Ambulance bus was next to us along with Police and we were immediately looked after and given first aid and pain killer injections. The bus was large enough to carry 5-6 people on stretchers. Since the toll contract was given to IRB that ambulances have vanished.

The practice of providing additional lanes in the steep sections for heavy vehicles is seen even in Karnataka. Once you cross Maharashtra border, till you reach Belgaum you come across at least three locations where the highway widens to three lanes in the Ghat section. By those norms entire Borghat should be at least 4 and preferably 5 lanes each way.

Now I have heard that government plans to add another lane to the entire expressway. They should consider adding additional one lane in the ghat section. and while making bridges they should keep margin to add another lane in future. Current bridges are restricted to three lanes each way. How they are going to add one more lane remains to be seen.

There is another proposal to build tunnels from Sinhgad institute to Khopoli. That is surely good idea but they should make each tunnel at least 6 lanes and third four tunnel as relief lane.
CANPUSH is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st January 2012, 18:50   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANPUSH View Post
Yesterday, I saw a group with their luggauge, after Khopoli exit waiving to vehicles asking for lift.
Blatant disregard to the safety of the passengers and violation of rules. The buses typically drop these passengers at the first Lonavala exit (from Mumbai to Pune), or else these people get up here from the town to hitch a ride towards Pune.

Quote:
We are also seeing two wheelers on expressway these days and these people are not from the patrolling group. Many a times they are traveling in wrong direction creating further hazard to the traffic.
These are mostly mechanics IMO and going by the number of vehicles broken down they are doing good business. I have yet to find a two wheeler rider creating a traffic hazard, but yes, he is a threat, no matter whether a mechanic or not.
Also on a brief section where the old and the new highways merge, two wheelers ARE allowed onto this section.

Quote:
New fashion is to use hazard lights in the tunnels. Hazard lights are not meant for such situations.
Totally stupid. I was returning from Pune this last Sunday and there was a traffic jam just outside the Lonavla tunnel, a result of four vehicles involved in an accident. With everyone using the blinkers inside the tunnel, it would be impossible to let the following drivers know there was some real danger ahead. There was every chance we could have had a huge pileup inside the tunnel.

Quote:
I am also shocked to see people stopping the vehicles on the sides and enjoying their food seating on the road or side barriers.
They shouldn't have been issued driving licenses. Is there a way we can photograph these people and then have the police prosecute them? Or rather take the police to court for not prosecuting them?

Quote:
Wet surface caution boards are still not covered.
Good thing is they will be there when monsoons come.

Quote:
The expressway is designed for 120 kmph between Kiwale - Lonawala and Khopoli - Panvel section.
Actually, it is easy to install cameras on all the over bridges and monitor speed of vehicles. These vehicles can then be stopped at the toll plaza and penalised.
The expressway is designed for a max speed of 80kmph, period. The idea of setting up cameras on the overbridges is really good.

Quote:
I think it is necessary to warn the drivers through boards here or create a food plaza in this section and people will stop there for food and cool their tyres.
There are enough boards warning the drivers of the hazards of overspeeding, including tyre bursts. There are boards asking drivers to ensure seat belts are fastened. There are boards advising drivers to follow lane discipline.

Quote:
Also badly designed and located 'U' turns are coming up at places.
I don't understand why there should be any U turns at all. For the emergency vehicles, there could easily be two sets of vehicles deployed on either side. Or else have the U turn located in just one or two specific areas and heavily publicize it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxpaul View Post
But most countries have a very comprehensive set of rules of driving, with written classes, parallel parking training etc so unless the Indian RTOs introduce these here, we will always have unruly driving on our roads. We should not blame the average cab driver or bus driver, 'they simply do not know ' !!!
If you go through the Motor Vehicles Act, you will be surprised to see the level of detail covered in the Act. What we lack is the implementation.
Ignorance is no excuse. If you got your driving license, you are expected to know the rules. It's the pathetic policing we have which is the real culprit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Most of the E-way hardly there are any safety signs seen but huge billboards of real estate projects. No ambulances available in case of any accidents, I feel there is also a need for a hospital somewhere immedaitely afterv the Khalapur toll.
There are enough boards advising safety to the drivers, read my comment above. And they have been there for many years. Also I hear there's a proposal to set up emergency trauma centres every 25kms or so along the e-way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
The section where there is a diversion for the light and heavy vehicle is the most dangerous spot as most of the times the heavy vehicles enter the lane meant for the light vehicles. The naming is altogether wrong ...
I have been driving on the old highway and now the expressway, and till date I have not been able to make out which lane is really meant for the small vehicles. I take whichever is easily accessible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
So much for the reckless driving of the cars that nowadays I see them overtaking from the shoulder on the ghat sections. They end up creating 4 or even 5 lanes in that stretch zipping in and out.
Sometimes with all the lanes covered by heavy/light vehicles moving at a snail's pace, you cannot help but use the shoulder. Slower vehicles should be banned from the rightmost lane to prevent such incidents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IQBAL VEERJI View Post
I avoid stopping on the way to pune and back.
I do the same, but to save time. Stopping for a bite means losing half an hour at least. And a half hour on the expressway translates into 40kms. Better to stop on the other roads where average speeds are much lesser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeKay View Post
The Most shocking thing I discovered was that Bikers are travelling illegally on the Expressway!!
Read above: They are most likely mechanics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
I was coming back from Pune & guess what... I was stuck in a traffic jam inside the tunnel! The cars came to a standstill for a good 20 minutes (luckily).
Was it this Sunday, 29th Jan? I was there too! Apparently a Honda city was rammed from behind by a Jeep/MUV, followed by another Jeep/MUV, followed by a Tempo Traveller followed by a truck/tanker. Nothing major, but the vehicles must have got a good amount of damage. That's what held up the traffic. Fortunately I was stuck for about five minutes.
Old 31st January 2012, 19:50   #19
BHPian

Co-incidentally I opened Time of India today just after reading this thread.
Top half of page 5 in Pune edition is dedicated to this topic.

Plan for medical units on e-way after every 25 km - The Times of India

Warning boards to be put up at 19 spots - The Times of India

There are other items for which I did not get a web version that talk about
closing gaps in median and putting barriers on median.
Old 31st January 2012, 21:11   #20
BHPian

@honeybee - Nope. Not mechanics. Which Mechanic owns a CBR250 or a Karizma? I probably should have mentioned this earlier.
Old 31st January 2012, 23:19   #21
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Sometimes with all the lanes covered by heavy/light vehicles moving at a snail's pace, you cannot help but use the shoulder. Slower vehicles should be banned from the rightmost lane to prevent such incidents.
two wrongs don't make one right. Driving on the shoulder should be avoided. Many a times I've been scared by miscreants overtaking a slow moving truck that is on the left most lane, by using the shoulder and then cutting across from the shoulder on to the middle lane right in front of me all of a sudden. I don't get to see those morons as a line of trucks is on the left lane and am happily driving in the middle lane. And normally one doesn't anticipate someone to drive on shoulder and come in all of a sudden through a gap created between two trucks from the shoulder across to the middle lane.

And yes, the right most lane is only for passing. It would be good if slow moving vehicles are altogether banned from the right most lane and other vehicles use it only for passing (overtaking).
MX6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2012, 10:37   #22
BHPian

'If you go through the Motor Vehicles Act, you will be surprised to see the level of detail covered in the Act. What we lack is the implementation.
Ignorance is no excuse. If you got your driving license, you are expected to know the rules. It's the pathetic policing we have which is the real culprit.'

Honey bee,
Sorry, but the MVA does not mention about :

1. Using rear view mirror to change lanes.
2. Using rear view mirror while braking.
3. Right of way rules at junctions without signals.
4. Using mirrors to parallel park.
5. Rules to enter a main road from a side road.
6. Rules of overtaking on expressways for LV.
7.Rules of overtaking for HCV

Our MVA is 233 pgs but has got NOTHING about the above.

Pl. see a thread by Bhpian CNU and also my attachment. And if you find something about all this in any of our Indian MV rules pl. let us know, it will be a way to DRIVE SAFE.
In most other countries eg UAE you have a booklet with pictures in colour showing all this, especially the Right of way rules.

Can Bhpians working and driving in foreign countries comment !
Attached Files
File Type: pdf mvact1988.pdf (999.7 KB, 428 views)

Last edited by rxpaul : 1st February 2012 at 10:39.
rxpaul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2012, 11:11   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Was it this Sunday, 29th Jan? I was there too! Apparently a Honda city was rammed from behind by a Jeep/MUV, followed by another Jeep/MUV, followed by a Tempo Traveller followed by a truck/tanker. Nothing major, but the vehicles must have got a good amount of damage. That's what held up the traffic. Fortunately I was stuck for about five minutes.
LOLZ... yes, it was Sunday, 29th of Jan.

I was stuck inside the tunnel & for some reason, they switched off the lights inside the tunnel!
Old 1st February 2012, 16:56   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxpaul View Post
Honey bee,
Sorry, but the MVA does not mention about :

1. Using rear view mirror to change lanes.
2. Using rear view mirror while braking.
3. Right of way rules at junctions without signals.
4. Using mirrors to parallel park.
5. Rules to enter a main road from a side road.
6. Rules of overtaking on expressways for LV.
7.Rules of overtaking for HCV

Our MVA is 233 pgs but has got NOTHING about the above.
I forgot the Motor Vehicles Act is more of a framework and not the actual implementation. I found the PDF version of the Motor Vehicle Rules through this link:
http://www.tn.gov.in/sta/cmvr1989.pdf

I won't claim that I have found answers to all your questions above, as honestly I haven't gone through the entire PDF yet. However, on page 12 of the PDF, there's an interesting discussion on the use of rear view mirrors. Though it pertains to how the driving test should be conducted, I believe it does derive from some or the other provisions within the whole law. I am sorry I cannot find the exact answers you are seeking, but as an example: if you browse through the Central Motor Vehicles Act, you will find the principle of "Right is right", i.e. yield to the traffic (coming) from your right, at intersections which are not regulated.

I don't claim to be an expert on Motor Vehicles act, nor am I one. So please pardon me if I cannot produce specific texts to your satisfaction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
LOLZ... yes, it was Sunday, 29th of Jan.

I was stuck inside the tunnel & for some reason, they switched off the lights inside the tunnel!
Dang! And we missed each other. Though it would have been hard to spot me, unless you remember the battered old red Ikon
Old 1st February 2012, 17:23   #25
BHPian

Re: Yashwantrao Chavan Expressway - Review needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
No Ambulances

When the expressway was started, there used to be an ambulance each parked at both the toll gates, they passed into history several years ago.
I remember having read very recently that they are planning to have an ambulance every 25km. God might konw when it will happen, but even he may not know how long it will last!

Quote:
We are also seeing two wheelers on expressway these days and these people are not from the patrolling group.
Look how this moron became a pain. Was continuously hogging the right lane at 70-80kmh. Many drivers were caught unaware.

EDIT: This was on the section where two-wheelers are not allowed.
Attached Thumbnails
Review of the Yashwantrao Chavan Expressway (Mumbai-Pune)-15052011.jpg  

Review of the Yashwantrao Chavan Expressway (Mumbai-Pune)-15052011001.jpg  

Last edited by benzinblut : 1st February 2012 at 17:40.
benzinblut is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2012, 18:24   #26
BHPian

If the land surrounding the eway gets developed as planned, then its game over for the road. The relative isolation is what is keeping the balance. Else, we would have people jumping across the road to go to malls, hospitals, restaurants etc. The sinhagad institute area around evenings is a nice place for students to sit and talk and I have had an emergency braking incident around that area as few kids ran across the road from the median. If I remember right, the road curves right there coming from the pune side.
megazoid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2012, 17:41   #27
BHPian

Quote:
The expressway is designed for a max speed of 80kmph, period.
@ Honeybee, Expressway, except for Ghat section, is actually designed for 120 kmph. The lane widths, Horizontal and Vertical Curves, banking on curves, all are designed for 120 kmph and they confirm to specifications for 120 kmph. Being from infrastructure related sector, we had 2-3 times visited the site during construction period and had interacted with the engineers who designed this expressway. In the Ghat section it is different story as the alignment that was proposed by MSRDC was not passed by the Ministry of Environment and forest and hence they had to upgrade the existing ghat section to expressway and that's why even two wheelers are allowed in that section. During the time when old NH4 was not toll road this section had free entry and exits.
The original idea was to restrict speed to 80 kmph for first year for people to get used to the concept of expressway and then change the speed limits for left lane to 100 kmph and middle and right lane to 120 kmph. However, after seeing the amount of accidents happening particularly due to tyre bursting the authorities gave up the idea of increasing the speed limits.

If you try driving continuously at 120 kmph in these sections (If traffic allows you to do so and you are ready to break rules), you will realise that no additional skills are required to drive at that speed. On other highways which are designed for 80 kmph you need skill and experience to drive at 120 kmph as the lanes are narrower and curves are sharper.
CANPUSH is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2012, 23:08   #28
Senior - BHPian

The main rootcause for this is lack of enforcement.

Speed limits should be something like

leftmost lane - upto 60 kmph
Middle lane - 60-80kmph
Rightmost lane - 80-120 kmph.

Because of an undertyred hatchback driver crashing his car, the Audi owner must not be slowed down to 80kmph. If you have good rubber, drive at 120 kmph. It is upto people to understand thier cars and safe speeds that thier rubber can do. If people are ignorant let them learn it the hard way.
Old 9th February 2012, 23:27   #29
Senior - BHPian

Enforcement surely is the root cause

No cops with speedguns anymore

Expressway is very very scary to drive at night
Dacoities are common during night time

Some one studied amrutanjan bridge and conclusion was the area near that brigde has some spots which induce stress in drivers ( not sure what to call it on medical terms ).

Overloaded trucks struggle to climb and Cars, SUV's play cat & mouse

Accidents are increasing , but do we have a Body like NTSB ( USA )which will study those accidents and come out with suggetions to avoid them?

I do not know if everyone will agree, but majority of accidents i have seen
are of private vehicles.

Toll is another topic altoghether, spending 190rs on Toll from Pune to Dadar, i find taking the bus a better option anytime.
Old 10th February 2012, 11:00   #30
BHPian

In certain places there are no proper indication whether the road leads to Express highway or not. Especially in the ghat section (sorry, I do not remember the names, if there are any).

This happened 4 weeks back. I was ridding back (on RE 500) from Udaipur to Bangalore. Since we (another RE rider) knew that 2 wheelers are not allowed in Express highway, we took the old M-P highway. Due to traffic and speed, we both got lost and they went far ahead of me.

Later when I reached the ghat section (the road goes round-n-round, sorry if I am not using any right words), I happened to enter Express Highway. Then there was no turning back (could not find U-turn). Just took the 3rd lane and headed towards Pune. Luckily no one caught me. Called up my friends just before hitting last Toll booth, they asked to take any immediate exit to avoid fines.

Since my friends who were ahead of me, they also happened to take Express highway. To their unfortunate, a cop caught them and they paid Rs. 200 fine.

They really need to work on installing sign boards.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks