Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2015, 11:55   #331
Senior - BHPian

Re: Review of the Yashwantrao Chavan Expressway (Mumbai-Pune)

I drive atleast 2 to 3 times in a month to Lonavala through the Mumbai-Pune expressway. To be honest, some sections have become downright pathetic, specially the one's where in small bridges come, the elevation before and after the bridges causes a huge thud in the car, someone excessively correcting the steering at these times can kill themselves.

I usually stick the throttle at 100 kmph and drive in the center lane while moving to the right only to overtake. 100 kmph also because I want to save all the fuel I can till the Ghat section comes where in I will spend it on high revving turning thrills rather than spending it on top speed ones which is downright dangerous

Driving on the center lane gives me the assurance of having the space to move either to the right or left in case of a tyre burst, and center lane also because if I see someone from the opposite side losing control and barreling down towards me, I have room to change directions, either brake or go to the left.
humyum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2015, 14:59   #332
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
The Amrutanjan bridge spot before the bridge and after the bridge right before the tunnel is becoming a perennial jam spot.

The worst part is that immediately after the bridge when drivers get the cars out of the jam, they unnecessarily speed inside the tunnel with the blinkers on making it difficult for the rest of the vehicles to maintain lane discipline.
Yes - you are right. Is it because of lack of foresight when building the e-way? After all, the stretch where the old highway and e-way converge is bound to have higher volume of traffic than at other places, and definitely needs widening. I read somewhere that they are planning to convert e-way to a eight lane - the way things are, they can as well build one more on top of the existing stretches which are frequently jammed with crawling trucks / trailers....

The blinkers remind me of a famous saying in MAD - outward sign of inward retardation!
vrprabhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2015, 13:29   #333
BHPian

Quote:
A landslip near the Khandala tunnel on Mumbai-Pune Expressway has impacted the vehicular traffic on the freeway on Monday morning.

Officials said loose mud and rocks slid down the hills at Khandala, a popular hill station around 47 km from Pune and blocked the Expressway at around 10 am leading to a massive jam. No casualties were reported.
Review of the Yashwantrao Chavan Expressway (Mumbai-Pune)-img20150622wa000_2447522f.jpg

News & Image Source http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/...cle7341854.ece
driving_smartly is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2015, 15:09   #334
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driving_smartly View Post
This happens here every year. They were supposed to put up nets over this place. I have seen them too a little ahead on the same stretch. Lucky no one came under this.
Old 22nd June 2015, 17:42   #335
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhoi30 View Post
They were supposed to put up nets over this place. I have seen them too a little ahead on the same stretch.
I noticed nets around this area on Friday. I think this area was cordoned off as well.

Boulders look too large to be stopped by nets (almost size of small hatchback).
NetfreakBombay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2015, 18:06   #336
Senior - BHPian

Last month, I did Pune - Mumbai - Pune twice. Both the times, while returning in the night, I was surprised to see some rash biker on the expressway!

I was driving at 90-100 kmph and they overtook me fast. They were unnecessarily driving in a zigzag pattern and while doing this, they were leaning too much towards the ground. It was pretty dangerous for them and for others on the road too.

It was night time, the bikers disappeared rapidly before I could look for their bike numbers.

Fellow BHPians:
  1. Have you noticed such things?
  2. What ideas do you you propose to catch such riders and to prevent these things from happening again?
Old 22nd June 2015, 18:21   #337
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
Last month, I did Pune - Mumbai - Pune twice. Both the times, while returning in the night, I was surprised to see some rash biker on the expressway!

I was driving at 90-100 kmph and they overtook me fast. They were unnecessarily driving in a zigzag pattern and while doing this, they were leaning too much towards the ground. It was pretty dangerous for them and for others on the road too.

It was night time, the bikers disappeared rapidly before I could look for their bike numbers.

Fellow BHPians:
  1. Have you noticed such things?
  2. What ideas do you you propose to catch such riders and to prevent these things from happening again?
@Rahul,

Your query reminds me of the scene from the jungle book, where the three vultures keep asking each other What do we do???

No offence meant here, but the point is that driving discipline is sorely lacking in India, and in no way can be thrust upon these drivers (After all, most of them sport stickers that say Born to be Wild, Live Free etc).

Unless the individuals decide to tone down and be more responsible, we all will be subject to such antics.

So the only answer i have now is Que Sera Sera...

Cheers
Old 22nd June 2015, 20:10   #338
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutoos View Post
@Rahul,

No offence meant here, but the point is that driving discipline is sorely lacking in India, and in no way can be thrust upon these drivers (After all, most of them sport stickers that say Born to be Wild, Live Free etc).

Unless the individuals decide to tone down and be more responsible, we all will be subject to such antics.
This is not only about the driving discipline; two wheelers are banned on this highway! One gets a huge surprise when a two wheeler flashes past you on EXPRESS-WAY. This diverts & disturbs the attention of car drivers. And on the top of it, they are doing the acrobatics. This subjects everyone in the vicinity to a risk of life.

Secondly, I am not asking the questions in the spirit of those three vultures in the jungle book. I am curious to know if anyone else witnessed this and I am expecting value added inputs / ideas from fellow BHPians on catching thse rogues. They are driving so fast that its very difficult / impossible for a decent car driver to chase them.
Old 22nd June 2015, 23:37   #339
BHPian

Quote:
This is not only about the driving discipline; two wheelers are banned on this highway! One gets a huge surprise when a two wheeler flashes past you on EXPRESS-WAY. This diverts & disturbs the attention of car drivers. And on the top of it, they are doing the acrobatics. This subjects everyone in the vicinity to a risk of life.

Secondly, I am not asking the questions in the spirit of those three vultures in the jungle book. I am curious to know if anyone else witnessed this and I am expecting value added inputs / ideas from fellow BHPians on catching thse rogues. They are driving so fast that its very difficult / impossible for a decent car driver to chase them.
@Rahul Bhalgat,
Yes, indiscipline on the roads will give surprises to the others, and that is what i had commented earlier. Common courtesy and responsibility is lacking on the roads and no amount of policing or fine will eradicate this menace.

Secondly, the following has already been tried on the eway till date
1. Speed guns. Fining motorist who exceed 100 kmph. Typically this is done for some days more so, in the aftermath of some serious eway mishap. After the accidents last week, the cops are on it now to monitor speeds

2. Fine motorist who cover the distance from Kalapur to Talegaon (toll-toll) within 30 minutes. Not sure if this is in vogue now.

What needs to be done
There is an adage "If you can beat them, join them", in the same vein, open the eway with a dedicated track for the two wheelers, so that you are aware of their presence and they throw no surprises. Similar to cycle tracks in the US

Till such time, we will be asking each other what do we do a la jungle book shtyle !!

PS:
2 wheelers used to be a regular feature near lonavla/khandala exit and the khopoli exits in 2011-2012, when i was more active on the express way

Last edited by kutoos : 22nd June 2015 at 23:38.
Old 23rd June 2015, 08:20   #340
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Boulders look too large to be stopped by nets (almost size of small hatchback).
The nets were almost corroded completely and could not have stopped the boulders in any case. the firm which maintains the Pune Eway i.e IRB should be stopped from taking any further toll unless they ensure that the roads are completely safe from these landslides. Every year the news is the same for 3 months and rest 9 months IRB goes about making hefty money through toll.

This time fortunately there were no casualties or vehicle damages.
Old 13th July 2015, 22:39   #341
BHPian

Quote:

I guess 2-wheelers are allowed on a limited 5-8 kms of patch both ways on the Expressway. The old highway merges with Expressway for most of the ghat section.
That is typically the patch where trucks are their slowest, cars are struggling to find way and a few powerful 2-wheelers get to show their acrobatic skills to the world. I did experience multiple 2-wheelers on the common patch once but most of them were well-behaved, rather afraid of cars hitting them.

Next time if you witness these acrobatics, try throwing a few coins appreciating their nautanki performance!

Other than the common patch, it is only the police 2-wheelers that can be found and I have seen a couple of bikes held by cops for entering the Eway and negotiations were on (probably).
Old 17th July 2015, 00:25   #342
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameyawaghmare View Post
I guess 2-wheelers are allowed on a limited 5-8 kms of patch both ways on the Expressway. The old highway merges with Expressway for most of the ghat section.
I have witnessed 2-wheeler acrobats between Panvel and Khalapur. And that took me by surprise.

In ghat section, I am aware that there might be some 2 wheelers of policemen or the men working on highway.
Old 17th July 2015, 01:01   #343
BHPian

Quote:
In ghat section, I am aware that there might be some 2 wheelers of policemen or the men working on highway.
That stretch is common for the NH4 and the Expressway, so bikes are legally allowed in this stretch.
Old 19th July 2015, 15:26   #344
Distinguished - BHPian

There has been some major landslide on Mumbai-Pune expressway with death of 3 people and damages to a few vehicles. I have no details about it but have seen snaps on twitter feed. Traffic has been suspended on it.
Old 19th July 2015, 15:56   #345
BHPian

Just received the images on mobile of the same.
Horrifying.
Attached Thumbnails
Review of the Yashwantrao Chavan Expressway (Mumbai-Pune)-img20150719wa0017.jpg  

Review of the Yashwantrao Chavan Expressway (Mumbai-Pune)-img20150719wa0016.jpg  

Review of the Yashwantrao Chavan Expressway (Mumbai-Pune)-img20150719wa0015.jpg  

Review of the Yashwantrao Chavan Expressway (Mumbai-Pune)-img20150719wa0018_blured.jpg  

Last edited by iamahunter : 19th July 2015 at 16:03. Reason: Taking off one image.
iamahunter is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks