Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2017, 19:26   #451
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvDriving View Post
Is it like this every night or was it a one off thing I dont know but it took 4 hours to reach Pune including a 15 min halt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
The scene is the same every night.
On inclines, we have overloaded and under-powered trucks racing against each other at measly speeds of 20-40 kmph fanned across all the lanes.
I have travelled a few times from Panel side at 3 am and it was the same experience. Trucks have the highway to themselves and occupy all 3 lanes.

The worst slowdown is near amrutanjan bridge.
The scary part is trucks without tail lights and reflectors. Plus they don't expect any cars at those odd hours. You have to honk and flash to get noticed.

Last edited by freedom : 17th January 2017 at 19:32.
freedom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2017, 19:35   #452
Senior - BHPian

Re: Review of the Yashwantrao Chavan Expressway (Mumbai-Pune)

My wife and I call the heavy vehicles trying to overtake each other at low speeds the tortoise and snail race. Its a very common sight all along the expressway and is extremely stress inducing when its happening on the inclines
Mortis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2017, 00:47   #453
Senior - BHPian

So it seems there is a check on the speed of vehicles and rash driving a lot on expressway these days, Travelled 3 times in 5 days and spotted Police with camera standing in the middle of the road (Hiding in the grass) recording and taking note of the car numbers rash driving or over speeding in a normal dress, They then pass over the vehicle details to the cops waiting at the pune toll, I saw many cars being stopped, If you zoom in and see on the left, Several car's were stop, There are also hoarding's everywhere regarding to follow traffic rules and specially speed limit.

Review of the Yashwantrao Chavan Expressway (Mumbai-Pune)-img_5507.jpg

Also while taking the toll on pune spotted some cartoon characters handing out written note to the drivers saying " Don't drink and drive", ¥our family is waiting for you" ETC, I mean thats the maximum even the police can do to make sure people follow traffic rules, What i could see is most of the tourist vehicles were in really bad shape and offcourse being overloaded with people, And the same truckers and Volvo buses being driven rashly in the first lane.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th March 2017, 12:16   #454
BHPian

Travelled from Mumbai to Pune today morning. there are cops every 15 odd kms noting down vehicle numbers passing by. DOnt know what they are doing !

Also saw 20 odd cops at the talegaon toll plaza with paper and pen.

Does any one know what are they trying to do ?
Old 18th March 2017, 00:32   #455
BHPian

So what is the speed limit? Are they catching even those who go up to 90 - 100 kmph.? or it should always be 80 kmph. When they catch you do they show the proof that you were over speeding or they simply tell you and you got to pay?
Old 24th March 2017, 01:23   #456
BHPian

Steep hike in toll rates of Mumbai--Pune Expressway, to be effective from April 1st, 2017.
Attached Thumbnails
Review of the Yashwantrao Chavan Expressway (Mumbai-Pune)-img_20170324_011607.jpg  

vivek95 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th April 2017, 21:57   #457
BHPian

There is a growing number of vehicles(cars) driving in the overtaking lane ( Right most lane). They drive at 60 to 80 KmpH and wont move whatever you do following them. Lights/ honking nothing helps. At the end of it you have to overtake from left. .

I am getting frustrated about this and actually went in front of two vehicles today and slowed down till they had to change gears and then they moved to left. but i saw in the rear mirror they again coming back on the fast lane to drive slow. .

Dont understand the logic they have. Maybe its easy to drive rather effortless. You keep driving at 80 and dont have to change lanes or brake or change gears at all ! the left most lane is the best lane to overtake on the mumbai pune expressway now a days. am i the only one observing this ?
Old 24th April 2017, 22:41   #458
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaileshHinge View Post
There is a growing number of vehicles(cars) driving in the overtaking lane ( Right most lane). They drive at 60 to 80 KmpH and wont move whatever you do following them. Lights/ honking nothing helps. At the end of it you have to overtake from left.
I have noticed this too, Unfortunately this might be happening due to the number of police present these days to catch vehicles crossing the speed limits, What people don't understand is how to use the overtaking lane!

Quote:
I am getting frustrated about this and actually went in front of two vehicles today and slowed down till they had to change gears and then they moved to left. but i saw in the rear mirror they again coming back on the fast lane to drive slow.
Honestly don't even try! No one would care, Just overtake them and move on, I remember having a really close call with a zen doing 20-30kph in the second lane & he started coming into the overtaking lane slowly where i was doing 80-90 kph! I had to brake & honk really hard & he still did not budge, ABS + ESP helped me change lanes & keep the car under control, After all this, The driver gave me a look like,"What happened? Why are you looking at me?"

Quote:
Dont understand the logic they have. Maybe its easy to drive rather effortless. You keep driving at 80 and dont have to change lanes or brake or change gears at all ! the left most lane is the best lane to overtake on the mumbai pune expressway now a days. am i the only one observing this ?
You will see many car's overtaking from the left, Did you even observe how the commercial Volvo's hog the overtaking lane? They do the same! Honk, Flash they don't care.
Old 25th April 2017, 00:38   #459
BHPian

This is the case not only on the EW but all over the country even in small inner city roads/streets. Logic being since we are a left hand drive environment, there are umpteen silly drivers always slowing down, daydreaming (at least it seems so) at the wheel, with no courtesy for other drivers, etc. Basically road HOGGER'S who don't realize that they are road HOGGER'S.

Basically our brethren are not very keen on inculcating the simple habit of GIVING WAY. Just move and be aside letting who wants to go faster with more important jobs than you man! Why is is so hard? Maybe it's simple ego or then people are always going to act idiotic unless someone raps them with strong measures to stay in line. This happens in all walks of life in India.

So the basic way to deal with it is just step aside and go on with your life. That's right lane driving for you. Have you ever come across someone paying a fine for keeping to the right but not taking the next right? I have not. I happen to have been fined for not taking a left and going straight while I was left most on the Western Express Highway in Bandra once. My bad.

This I deduct from day to day life. Others may have another logic.
pixantz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2017, 07:35   #460
BHPian

Height barriers to be installed on right most lane of Mumbai--Pune Expressway in ghat section to prevent heavy vehicles from using the said lane.

Read more here - http://m.timesofindia.com/city/pune/...w/58583999.cms

Can anyone please explain to me with the help of an image what exactly is being planned here ??
Old 9th May 2017, 08:22   #461
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
Can anyone please explain to me with the help of an image what exactly is being planned here ??
Something like this:
Review of the Yashwantrao Chavan Expressway (Mumbai-Pune)-heightbarshb1.jpg

Image courtesy : Link

And with such a set-up, an advanced indication/warning is imminent to road users else these barriers can become the reason for accidents if they get spotted in the last minute. They can as well cause traffic pile-ups too as heavy vehicles decide to brake right there and then change the lane.

Last edited by paragsachania : 9th May 2017 at 08:24.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th May 2017, 13:40   #462
BHPian

Quote:
Height barriers to be installed on right most lane of Mumbai--Pune Expressway in ghat section to prevent heavy vehicles from using the said lane.
I wonder if it is a good way to prevent heavy vehicles from using the lanes. The barriers should have proper lights and reflectors else the heavy vehicles tend to crash into them. Even with such precautions I have seen vehicles crashing into them. An example is the one setup at Thane-Belapur road to divert heavy vehicles into the North MIDC road.

Another point is that right most lane is used for over taking. How will smaller vehicles use it for over taking?
At Amrutanjan Bridge, the light vehicles have to move to left most lane as the right lane is used by larger and longer vehicles. What will happen at this section?
sukhoi30 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2017, 12:07   #463
Senior - BHPian

On my last visit to Mumbai, had a chance to visit the new Woodstock mall right after the Talegaon toll plaza on Pune Mumbai lane. So far I have always crossed Lonavla and stopped at the food mall near Khalapur, but this time was an exception.

The mall is still under construction, but there are two large sections already open and serving customers. Great food at great prices (120 bucks for a veg thali), clean toilets and sufficient water.

It is a much better place than the crowded mall near Khalapur. Definitely on the map for any subsequent Pune Mumbai drives.
honeybee is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th July 2017, 16:54   #464
BHPian

I drove via YC expressway this past weekend from Mumbai till Khalapur. Wanted to go towards Imagica.
On the way I was surprised to notice many potholes on several sections of this stretch. These are noticeable before and after the shedung exit as also a few kilometers before the Khalapur toll.

Those driving on the expressway should be extra careful this season. Keep your speed within limits to avoid losing control when driving over potholes.

I never noticed potholes on the expressway for many years in the past. This is the first time I see them and it makes me wonder why we are paying such a high toll for this expressway.
sukhoi30 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th July 2017, 19:19   #465
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
And with such a set-up, an advanced indication/warning is imminent to road users else these barriers can become the reason for accidents if they get spotted in the last minute. They can as well cause traffic pile-ups too as heavy vehicles decide to brake right there and then change the lane.
From what I could discern, the "barriers" may be L shaped flexible poles that will deter the taller vehicles.

There are already some poles I saw in the incline section but without the overhang.
alpha1 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks