Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2018, 10:19   #496
Senior - BHPian

Re: Review of the Yashwantrao Chavan Expressway (Mumbai-Pune)

If the toll booths are removed, what control will remain for errant vehicles such as two wheelers or wrong siders?

We dont seem to have too many controls as of date; there are quite a few two wheelers on the so called eway on the Pune side.
Old 26th June 2018, 10:56   #497
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
As per the activists who have filed a case against the government and the contractor, the firm IRB has already recovered the amount due to them.

I guess this is true, I vaguely remember seeing financial details on digital displays at toll-booths and 2018/19 as the breakeven period. However, even if tolls are not collected at current rates, there will be reduced rate collected by either IRB or NHAI or MSRDC for carrying out routine maintenance and upkeep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
Moreover there are plans for a tunnel to be built to by pass the treacherous Lonavala- Khandala stretch. The toll is here to stay for sure and infact that too for another 20+ years.

This project is to ensure steadily rising toll. Passing through the ghat section, I wonder how and where will this tunnel be built. Will definitely be a boon if at all it materializes.
Old 12th September 2018, 16:39   #498
Distinguished - BHPian

Till 2030 it is when you may have to wait before you stop paying toll on the Expressway.

Quote:
MUMBAI: The state government has told Bombay high court that MSRDC will continue to collect toll on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway till April 2030. It has decided not to stop toll collection or exempt light weight vehicles on the Expressway till the approved tenure of contractor Mhaiskar Infrastructure ends on August 10, 2019.

The state replied to the court’s query on a PIL by four activists to revoke the contractor’s right to collect toll till August 2019 saying its target collection had been met. Toll collection commenced in August 2004.
Source
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2018, 14:26   #499
Senior - BHPian

I went for a short drive yesterday from Pune to Lonavala via the so called expressway.

Immediately after the Talegaon toll, we spotted multiple bikers heading in the same direction. After a few kms, there is a break in the wide median from where a Santro was trying to take a u turn. He was heading towards Pune but taking a u turn to return towards Lonavla. To make things worse, a km further ahead we spotted a biker coming up the shoulder on the wrong side.

Since when have bikes been allowed on the so called expressway? Or have local people broken the central barriers in some places to cross over?

Do we pay 100s in toll for such idiotic behaviour? I do not want to have some moron's death on my conscience. Can the authorities not ensure this through strict policing and stiff fines?

What next; cattle meandering across?
selfdrive is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th December 2018, 10:09   #500
Senior - BHPian

Speeding behind 40% fatal mishaps on E-way (Mumbai-Pune).

Quote:
Speeding was a contributory factor in nearly 40% fatal accidents on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway this year. And yet, the 95km corridor neither has CCTV coverage, nor a formal speed limit notification in place. Eighty-two people died in 294 crashes on the arterial road from January to October this year, said an NGO working with the government to reduce casualties. The numbers are roughly the same for the same period last year, indicating that the government will find it challenging to achieve its aim of making the corridor a zero-fatality stretch by 2021.
News Source.
SJM1214 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2018, 10:21   #501
BHPian

Wonder why they say that the speed limit notification isn't in place. Unless it is something else from what I understand, there are plenty of boards all through stating that the speed limit is 80 kmph. In fact, there are many anecdotes as well about restricting speed and keeping it under 80. What else is this so called NGO expecting? A briefing at the toll nakas asking to keep at or below 80?

They should focus on educating people than always blame the government. At the end of the day you can take the horse to the water but cannot drink for it. Sensitize people about the speed limits and the need to follow them first.
centaur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2018, 17:58   #502
BHPian

Came across this news:

MSRDC plans survey to revise Eway speed limit

https://punemirror.indiatimes.com/pu...w/67050773.cms

Pilot to be run on 500 vehicles to assess whether it is safe to increase it to 100 kmph.

I think that's a good move. Of course the other factors like lane discipline should be enforced better before rasing the limit.
mayuresh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2018, 18:44   #503
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayuresh View Post
Of course the other factors like lane discipline should be enforced better before rasing the limit.
Drove Pune to Mumbai airport a few months back.
Got pulled over by the cops
I was told the left most lane is now totally dedicated for trucks (they have truck markers in that lane. On the road. Didn't see any boards)

So basically
Left most lane = trucks
Middle lane = LMV
Extreme right = overtaking

This was news to me. Instead of bickering about trucks in the LMV lane, I sensibly (in my opinion) thanked the cop and paid up the 200/- fine.

At least some level of monitoring and enforcement is going on (or at least was going on back then)

Last edited by RedTerrano : 12th December 2018 at 18:45. Reason: typo
RedTerrano is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2018, 20:49   #504
Senior - BHPian

That is bull shit.

I regularly find trucks in all the lanes, bikers riding on the shoulder and also on the wrong side, pedestrians crossing the expressway, passengers waiting to board a bus by the side of the road.

Are private car owners a soft target for the cops?
honeybee is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th December 2018, 22:19   #505
BHPian

Nonsense. Am on the expressway 3-4 times a week. It's dangerous! State run buses hog the right lane. Trucks in the middle. And selfie taking morons in the left lane. There are bikers in the pullover lane regularly. It's time to crack down, or wait for disasters.
avdhesh15 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th March 2019, 08:54   #506
BHPian

Of late, I have been seeing these newly placed "Restriction ends" sign boards on Mumbai--Pune Expressway on certain straight stretches. Can anyone please tell me what does that actually indicate ?
Old 13th March 2019, 14:51   #507
Senior - BHPian

Mumbai-Pune Expressway radar nabs 200 speedsters in 5 days.

Quote:
The state highway traffic patrol has installed a radar fitted with a camera facing the Pune-bound carriageway near Kon village on Mumbai-Pune Expressway to check for overspeeding and to penalize offenders. After its installation five days ago, around 200 overspeeding vehicles have been caught and drivers penalized. The process of cancellation of their licences has been initiated.
TOI News.
SJM1214 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th March 2019, 19:39   #508
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJM1214 View Post
Mumbai-Pune Expressway radar nabs 200 speedsters in 5 days.

TOI News.
The cost of a single radar-based speed gun is Rs 20 lakhs? Is that a typo error? Thats too high!
Old 13th March 2019, 20:08   #509
Senior - BHPian

Just 200 people in 5 days? Is that 40 people in entire day crossing speed limit of 80kph? Highly unlikely or the speed guns are working intermittently.

I believe more than 80% of LMV traffic is consistently above 80kph on Eway.
While I don't advise overspeeding, On personal note you can fall asleep on Eway if you drive @80kph especially when its empty during weekdays.

You can also get distracted at such speeds since driving would feel very easy as compared to 100kph.
IMO 80kph should be set as a minimum and 120kph as Max in all sections except for Ghats.

There is so much that can be done for eway, but not enough has been done as far as improvements are concerned.
Brufen ropes were supposed to be fixed on entire length , but that does not seem to be the case till now.
What happened to those drones which were tested some time ago?

Why are there so many policemen congregating after toll nakas, but very few in between them?

Last edited by silverado : 13th March 2019 at 20:14.
silverado is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2019, 18:43   #510
BHPian

Gadkari okays panel recommendations, MSRDC set to change speed limits from existing 80 kmph

https://punemirror.indiatimes.com/pu...w/70219352.cms

Quote:
“We have received an intimation from the central authorities about revising the speed limit and are positive about the same. We will however make an official announcement next week about increasing the speed limit from 80 kmph to 120 kmph and will make infrastructural changes at the earliest.”

Most Viewed