Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2013, 12:52   #181
Senior - BHPian

Re: Review of the Yashwantrao Chavan Expressway (Mumbai-Pune)

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post
Accident near amrutanjan bridge on mumbai pune section. Traffic backed up for 3-4 kms. Traffic At standstill on khalapur toll as well.
Too late.

My sister got stuck in the jam and now managed to take a U-turn and heading back to Mumbai. She was stuck for about an hour or so at the same place.
Old 3rd May 2013, 13:29   #182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Too late.

My sister got stuck in the jam and now managed to take a U-turn and heading back to Mumbai. She was stuck for about an hour or so at the same place.
+1 to that. Even my office colleague who was on his way to Mahabaleshwar was stuck in the traffic. He was supposed to check in the hotel at 2 pm but still hasnt yet reached even Pune, he just got out the traffic jam and passed Lonavala as I am writing. There was no chance of him reversing back also due to the traffic pile up.
Old 3rd May 2013, 14:24   #183
Senior - BHPian

Something on the news channels indicates that 2 lanes are now open and traffic is now allowed to go through the site where the tanker was down.
Old 19th May 2013, 09:47   #184
BHPian

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/20129092.cms

The article says, Pune district collectorate will impose a rule that heavy vehicles will have to take the left most lane only on the e-way.

Remains to be seen how well the rule can actually be imposed.

The article also says, right most lane is only for overtaking. But I think that has been the rule all the while anyway. Not sure about the heavy vehicles rule, whether it was in place before.

Last edited by mayuresh : 19th May 2013 at 09:48.
Old 20th May 2013, 09:31   #185
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayuresh View Post
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/20129092.cms

The article says, Pune district collectorate will impose a rule that heavy vehicles will have to take the left most lane only on the e-way.
Returned from a quick trip to Bombay yesterday. Along the 96 kms of expressway route, they have painted "Overtaking lane" at one place on the right most lane somewhere near Lonavala. Perhaps that is their way to implement it.

Meanwhile in other news, I saw an accident between an 800 and what looked like a Xylo outside Kamshet tunnel. The Xylo flew past me some 20-25 minutes before I reached the accident spot. I read in the paper today that two guys in the MUV lost their lives.

Sticking to 80-90 kmph in the middle lane for the last four journeys I made between Bombay and Pune has made me realize that you don't gain any time by speeding. The average speed remains more or less the same. You might save 10-15 minutes at best. The expressway surface is not well suited for speeding.
moralfibre is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2013, 10:40   #186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Meanwhile in other news, I saw an accident between an 800 and what looked like a Xylo outside Kamshet tunnel. The Xylo flew past me some 20-25 minutes before I reached the accident spot. I read in the paper today that two guys in the MUV lost their lives.
You were very lucky that the Xylo did not brush your vehicle. Seeing the pictures of the damage caused to the Maruti 800, by the rear ending Xylo, I can only imagine what crazy speeds the maniac driver of the Xylo would be doing. A minor correction, it were the 2 unfortunate souls in the M-800 (& not the MUV) who lost their lives & the occupants of the Xylo (which was carrying paint) sitting on the side of the road, with the faces painted white (pictures, courtesy Pune-Mirror). Wish it would have been a black paint so that their faces would have been aptly blackened.

Review of the Yashwantrao Chavan Expressway (Mumbai-Pune)-crushed-maruti800.jpg

Review of the Yashwantrao Chavan Expressway (Mumbai-Pune)-turtle-turned-xylo.jpg

Link to the full story ---->http://epaper.timesofindia.com/Defau...&ViewMode=HTML

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Sticking to 80-90 kmph in the middle lane for the last four journeys I made between Bombay and Pune has made me realize that you don't gain any time by speeding. The average speed remains more or less the same. You might save 10-15 minutes at best. The expressway surface is not well suited for speeding.
Absolutely
AutoIndian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th May 2013, 16:34   #187
Senior - BHPian

What a tragedy!
Why don't we have highway patrol WITH speed guns on the expressway?
Old 20th May 2013, 16:56   #188
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
What a tragedy!
Why don't we have highway patrol WITH speed guns on the expressway?
There is highway patrol always on the expressway. I see them very often at regular places. Sometimes they use the speed gun, other times they use their right hand to stop slow and over loaded trucks.
Old 20th May 2013, 18:01   #189
BHPian

From the location of the accident, I could not help but remember the same spot when I had gone to Pune from Mumbai about 15 days back. They have put rumbler strips on the road just when we come out of the tunnel towards Pune side. And you tend to loose traction on the strips. I had one frantic moment when I was about to loose control on these strips. It was like my car was flying off the road. I was not overspeeding. I must be at 80 Kmph. Even an Alto which was moving in front of me seemed to go wayward on the strips. Luckily I managed to control the car just in time. The rumbler strips are not visible earlier and suddenly appear just as you come out of the tunnel. I think this is more of a hazard than speed control. Fellow BHPians travelling to Pune from Mumbai side, please take care on this patch. Please communicate to others too.
Old 20th May 2013, 18:45   #190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SachinVD View Post
They have put rumbler strips on the road just when we come out of the tunnel towards Pune side. And you tend to loose traction on the strips.
What is the purpose of the rumbler strips after tunnel? Normally these type of things are required when one is approaching an intersection or a speed breaker.
Old 20th May 2013, 18:51   #191
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SachinVD View Post
From the location of the accident, I could not help but remember the same spot when I had gone to Pune from Mumbai about 15 days back. They have put rumbler strips on the road just when we come out of the tunnel towards Pune side. And you tend to loose traction on the strips. I had one frantic moment when I was about to loose control on these strips. It was like my car was flying off the road. I was not overspeeding. I must be at 80 Kmph. Even an Alto which was moving in front of me seemed to go wayward on the strips. Luckily I managed to control the car just in time. The rumbler strips are not visible earlier and suddenly appear just as you come out of the tunnel. I think this is more of a hazard than speed control. Fellow BHPians travelling to Pune from Mumbai side, please take care on this patch. Please communicate to others too.
Yes, I very much agree with this. Yesterday only I came from there and found these rumbler strips after the tunnel. These strips are slippery even on dry days like nowadays. God knows what will happen during rains. I was also driving at 80 kmph and found it difficult to control the vehicle over these rumblers. Everyone, please take care at this stretch.
Old 20th May 2013, 19:54   #192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhoi30 View Post
Yes, I very much agree with this. Yesterday only I came from there and found these rumbler strips after the tunnel. These strips are slippery even on dry days like nowadays. God knows what will happen during rains.
What is the Speed Limit on this section of ExpressWay?
Old 22nd May 2013, 00:57   #193
Senior - BHPian

I believe it is 80 kmph

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
What is the Speed Limit on this section of ExpressWay?
Old 3rd June 2013, 11:58   #194

Driving back to Mumbai after 4 pm on Sunday evening is the worst period to be on the MPEW. It is the law of the jungle. To say people drive like maniacs would be an understatement. Even The Fast and the Furious movie franchise cannot conjure up some of the hair-raising stunts that are pulled off on the EW on a Sunday evening.

Here are some of the most common.

1. Barging into lanes. Put on the indicator and you are good to go. So what if there are cars coming from behind at a fair clip. Just jut in or you will have to wait till eternity to make an overtaking manoeuvre.

2. You are in a hot set of Teutonic wheels blazing the turf at 160+. Unfortunately, the two right lanes are blocked by plebeian riffraff in their oriental tiffin boxes going at a measly 110 clicks. The left most lane is occupied by trucks that are so slow, they seem to be going backwards. Kein problem ! The "authorities" in their infinite wisdom have smoothened an additional lane which is called as a shoulder in backward countries. We call it a high-priority overtaking lane. Use it and you shall be catching up with the speed of light. Hey, who are these idiots who have stopped on this lane for their stupid tyre blowouts?

3. Lane changing inside tunnels. Flash your high beams when overtaking so that the retinae of all those morons in front of you get roasted and they suffer from momentary blindness. Their problem, not mine. Oh, and please switch on the "tunnel cum monsoon indicators" for the entire length.

4. Swerve suddenly to the right to avoid the pandus, who need to meet their "Other Income" targets for the month and may be prowling at some random spots. Indicators ? Sorry, no time for those, mate. This is applicable if you are driving those MPVs stuffed like clown cars.

5. Stop in the middle of nowhere on the high-priority overtaking lane to take in the scenery and to enhance it by ahem .. watering the plants.

6. In some sections, the high-priority overtaking lane does not exist and you may be facing the same scenario as point 2. In this case, go to the left most lane and flash your lights. I repeat, flash your lights in the leftmost lane even though the vehicle in front has no possibility of going any further left. There is some theory that frequent application of high intensity light can cause the offending vehicle in front to disappear in thin air. This phenomenon has not yet been observed by anyone, so do not give up an opportunity of being the first.
green_wheel is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2013, 13:45   #195
BHPian

Friends,

I would like to caution those travelling to Mumbai via the Mumbai-Pune expressway on the really bad traffic situation on the Dehu-Katraj Bypass road.
On the stretch alongside the Sameer Lawns and Sentosa resorts, there is a bridge construction going on. There is diversion which is just one lane wide and hence causes a severe bottleneck during peak hours. This is exasperated when there is a marriage ceremony going on in one of the lawns over there. Then the marriage party guests also tend to park alongside the road, causing further congestion. I was stuck at this spot for around 1.5 hours yesterday. See this report ... http://dnasyndication.com/dna/City-P...-hr/DNPUN59750

Alternate route ...

Take the old Mumbai-Pune road (You can join this road by taking a right from under the Wakad Bridge and keep going straight until you reach the Chinchwad station. I normally join this by taking right before the Sancheti Hospital Bridge) and go all the way to the first toll naka. This is located at Somthane Phata in Talegoan area. Pay the minimum toll which I believe is Rs. 26/- and preserve the toll ticket.
After the toll, around 500 mtrs ahead take the left turn which leads all the way upto the Mumabi-Pune Expressway. At the first toll of expressway, you can pay the rest of the amount to your destination. For e.g. for Mumbai it will be 165 - 26 = Rs. 139/- Remember to give the toll officer the receipt from the old mumbai-pune toll booth.
sukhoi30 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks