Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2015, 11:03   #301
Team-BHP Support

Re: Review of the Yashwantrao Chavan Expressway (Mumbai-Pune)

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpeesh View Post
I've started taking Palm Beach Road, going to Uran and then onto the old road as the lines at the toll booth at kharghar are insane. I don't get the point of reducing the travel time by 20 minutes by making the road signal free and then spending 40 minutes waiting to pay toll.

Last weekend, the traffic was backed up all the way beyond the Taloja flyover. I went through Taloja and it was so much faster.
How is the road from Uran? I tried it once a long time ago and it was really quite bad.
Old 4th February 2015, 18:00   #302
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
How is the road from Uran? I tried it once a long time ago and it was really quite bad.
I did take take that route multiple times and found it a really good alternative. In my earlier post, I have talked of bypassing Panvel completely by getting on the expressway as normal and taking the first exit. But, with the toll and long queues coming up at Kharghar, Uran route would make for a better choice.

Take Palm Beach, no matter where you are coming from, this road always saves time despite the signals and ensures a smooth drive. Just before CBD Belapur, take the right towards CIDCO guest house or where you will see most truckers going. The road goes straight for ~5 kms which is in not such a bad condition. But, there are 3 very large speed breakers that are marked with proper signage but you need to be a little careful. On meeting a T-junction, take left and you have a really bad road for a km or so. After a km or so, you will find the NH4A/B/C or whatever it is called on your right and you would feel you are on service lane. Get on the major highway. In the last 3 years, getting from this 'service road' on the major highway has been a dust road with no tarmac and a slight incline. That's the only hurdle.
There onwards the road is extremely smooth and traffic free and chaos free and what not all the way till the NH4/NH17 junction. Once you are on NH4 (old highway), hardly a km or 2 of 2-laning in the Panvel town and you will meet the expressway.

I have done this but I advise not to do this with family in the after dark hours. No security risk as such but there are very few dhabas or decent hotels in that desolate patch.

If Kharghar toll queues become a routine, I am comfortable opting this route for saving toll and time and money and fatigue.
ameyawaghmare is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th February 2015, 14:31   #303
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameyawaghmare View Post
On the return from Mumbai towards Pune, I find going via the old highway is a better alternative than taking the expressway at all. For one, the road is really good now. Take the regular expressway entry from Panvel, and take the exit for Shedung. You join the old highway at a point where you have bypassed Panvel town traffic conveniently. Fantastic road with 3 speed breakers till Khopoli that are well marked with signages. Enjoy the drive up the Khopoli/Khandala ghat that is empty most times. This way, you can avoid some on the expressway traffic in the ghat section but on the return leg, the Amrutanjan bridge choke-up is unavoidable.
True the old highway is good but be careful when driving through here at night time. There are animals, people crossing the highway at various points. Also, the highway has lots of sharp turns and curves where one need to be very careful. Going with family or ladies could be an issue as roadside dhabas/restaurants are not clean (especially restrooms) and decent.

But, yes, it is a scenic drive especially in the monsoons. You will enjoy if you like to drive at a leisurely speed.
Old 6th February 2015, 15:16   #304
BHPian

http://www.business-standard.com/art...0501781_1.html

""Now, we plan to expand the expressway to eight-lanes by adding one lane on each side to make the traffic faster, smoother and safer, besides cutting travel time by around 30-45 minutes," said Shinde.

The proposal to expand the expressway - officially named Y. B. Chavan Expressway - took roots under the previous Congress-NCP regime in 2013 and now the new government has decided to go ahead with the plan.

The expansion would include a new 12-km-long Lonavala bypass with an eight-km-long tunnel and two cable-stayed bridges at various strategic points on the existing expressway.

Besides this, the old Mumbai-Pune Highway No. 4 would also be expanded from existing four-lane to six lanes, the minister added.

To increase safety on the route, air ambulances will be deployed and trauma care centres set up to render timely assistance to accident victims."

Honestly, I have to see those "air ambulances". But, question is why can't they have that now instead of being proposed along with the expansion.
Old 11th February 2015, 13:40   #305
BHPian

Me and my wife have a flight from Delhi to mumbai that will land at midnight, I am planning to hire a taxi to move to Pune. Is Taxi a safe option or should I prefer a Shivneri or Neeta to travel through the expressway?
Ajitsingh208 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2015, 14:13   #306
BHPian

Ajit,

I am not sure of the availability/safety of Shivneri or Neeta at midnight.
What I do, is take KK travels. They charge ~ 900 per seat and you get a drop till your home.

This saves me the time and effort to go to the nearest boarding point for these buses too.
sandip is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2015, 15:04   #307
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajitsingh208 View Post
Me and my wife have a flight from Delhi to mumbai that will land at midnight, I am planning to hire a taxi to move to Pune. Is Taxi a safe option or should I prefer a Shivneri or Neeta to travel through the expressway?
Taxi is relatively safe option if you do the following :
1. Hire from a authorized recognized vendor.
2. Make sure to ask driver whether he has slept adequately during the day
3. Make sure driver gets atleast 2 breaks during the travel for tea
Old 11th February 2015, 15:19   #308
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandip View Post
Ajit,

I am not sure of the availability/safety of Shivneri or Neeta at midnight.
What I do, is take KK travels. They charge ~ 900 per seat and you get a drop till your home.

This saves me the time and effort to go to the nearest boarding point for these buses too.
Thanks Sandip, This sounds good, so do i find a kiosk for KK Travels at the airport or do i Book before hand, and what has your experience been, since its a shared cab. How long does one have to wait for others?

Quote:
Originally Posted by athanedar View Post
Taxi is relatively safe option if you do the following :
1. Hire from a authorized recognized vendor.
2. Make sure to ask driver whether he has slept adequately during the day
3. Make sure driver gets atleast 2 breaks during the travel for tea
Thanks, Yes I am planning to look for one at the airport itself. I don't even mind driving myself if the cab driver is sleepy. Have done that plenty of times with my office cab drivers.
Its the breaks I am not sure about, stopping at the food joints after mid night is when all robberies took place so I am looking to make a non stop run. Its just 150kms after all.
Old 11th February 2015, 15:23   #309
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Shivneri would be the safest bet.
http://www.msrtc.gov.in/msrtc_live/shivneri.html

Check out the timings (Dadar to Pune).

You will land at Mumbai airport and you will have different options:
1. Cool cab taxi (blue and white colored). There is a counter near the exit. DO NOT get lured by touts for non cool cab taxi no matter what appealing rates they throw. Usually there are constables around ASK THEM.
Cool cab charges a certain fare about 2000-2500 (with tolls included in the fare). They will charge extra 200-500 if you wish to be dropped at someplace other than Pune station.

Do remember that taxi drivers do get sleepy at night sometimes, and you will have to keep an eye out ...

2. Non cool cab taxi. I would NOT recommend this unless you are frequent traveler (Mum-Pun-Mum). Usually the rates are lower than cool cab ones. Usually they also trick you by not telling that tolls would be payed by you. Most of these blokes are Pune taxi drivers who have dropped someone in Mumbai. And they have usually charged full return. And they wish to earn quick buck by taking a passenger back to Pune. Anyway the driver gets a small cut, the tout who gets the passenger earns cool bucks.
Since these vehicles are Mumbai (usually airport) drop, you may encounter Mercedes, Octavia, or other expensive cars too at almost the same rate as Indica!

3. Travel to Dadar (east) - via local train, or taxi. At late night Taxi will take >30 minutes, Train will take <30 minutes. (Mumbai folks can quip in with accurate times)
a) Take Volvo from Dadar flyover.
b) Take cool cab from Dadar flyover (does not make sense since you had this option available at the airport itself)
c) Take taxi (again no sense)

Do not worry about robberies. You will travel on Expressway. There are two big stops (one near the Mumbais side toll and another near the Pune side toll). Halt at these places only. You cannot miss these by any chance.

Last edited by alpha1 : 11th February 2015 at 15:25.
alpha1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2015, 15:32   #310
BHPian

Ajit,

You can book online and call them (Always better to have human intervention here). They will text you the details around an hour before the journey time (you would be in flight).
They wait for you with a placard at the exit and will guide you to the waiting point.

You do have to wait for other passengers - it has never been more than half an hour for me (may be, I was lucky).
sandip is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2015, 16:18   #311
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Make your life easier, pre book a cab from someplace like this
http://www.coolcabservices.in/rates.html

Just keep an eye on the cab driver and you are good. The roads are pretty safe, even the large food courts should be fine if places are open there. If places are shut I wouldn't suggest stopping.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2015, 23:34   #312
BHPian

Quote:
At midnight, getting a convenient Shivneri or Neeta would be difficult from the NH8 point near airport. All that you could get would be buses going towards Bangalore, Goa, Kolhapur, Hyderabad, Aurangabad, etc. that would be packed.

I would suggest paying a little high and take a recognized taxi from something like TaxiForSure or Ola. I guess there rates are not that high as compared to what local taxi services would offer and definitely far lower than what you would find at kiosks at the airport. Police verified drivers and insurance, licence copy may be verified by these operators before hand.

Do not worry about robberies, etc. Simply do not stop anywhere other than the designated 2 food-malls and you would be safe.

Please be doubly sure on driver's sleep and as you have experience driving your office cabbies, I believe even that is not an issue for you. Google Maps or Windows Phone Maps would navigate you easily till the your end-point without any major deviations, can't say the same in case of Apple's maps.

Cheers.
ameyawaghmare is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2015, 23:38   #313
BHPian

We have multiple threads on the Mumbai - Pune Expressway but lack any common official thread for the same. For eg., the way we have Delhi - Mumbai or Mumbai - Bangalore threads on route conditions, eateries, stops, etc.

I guess this one can be treated that way?

I would be traveling from Pune to Mumbai International Airport tomorrow and back on the same day. I am not sure how long are the queues at Kharghar toll and what route would help save time in the evening hours of Mumbai (7 pm to 9 pm) while towards airport? What are your suggestions, Mankhurd - Ghatkopar - Sakinaka or Nerul - Airoli bridge - Vikhroli - Sakinaka?
Old 12th February 2015, 10:17   #314
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameyawaghmare View Post
We have multiple threads on the Mumbai - Pune Expressway but lack any common official thread for the same. For eg., the way we have Delhi - Mumbai or Mumbai - Bangalore threads on route conditions, eateries, stops, etc.

I guess this one can be treated that way?

I would be traveling from Pune to Mumbai International Airport tomorrow and back on the same day. I am not sure how long are the queues at Kharghar toll and what route would help save time in the evening hours of Mumbai (7 pm to 9 pm) while towards airport? What are your suggestions, Mankhurd - Ghatkopar - Sakinaka or Nerul - Airoli bridge - Vikhroli - Sakinaka?
I would suggest Nerul-Airoli- Powai-Sakinaka .You might face some traffic in Vikhroli. One more route would be instead of sakinaka, via seepz-Marol or- seepz-Andheri Kurla road(there's a one way that joins Seepz road and Andheri Kurla road near the MIDC police station) but that again is a gamble as you are travelling during peak hours.

Last edited by rakesh_r : 12th February 2015 at 10:21.
rakesh_r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2015, 10:23   #315
BHPian

There's a new Toll Wow, so I will have to factor that as well in my travel plans,
My Onward flight is at 10 PM from Mumbai on Saturday hence I need to reach by 9 PM,so I was planning to leave at 4:30 PM from Wakad and take the Shivneri.
Will this leave me some buffer given what I have read on waiting times at this new Toll. What's the average journey time like nowdays from Wakad to Vashi?
I am guessing it will take an hour from Vashi to the Airport.

Last edited by Ajitsingh208 : 12th February 2015 at 10:26.

Most Viewed