Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2015, 15:32   #391
BHPian

Re: Review of the Yashwantrao Chavan Expressway (Mumbai-Pune)

Took the expressway on Friday to go to Mumbai. Cops were redirecting traffic towards Lonavala city. Found the city was packed, primarily due to moron drivers. 4 lanes packed with cars going towards Mumbai, leaving just 1 lane towards Pune. I don't understand how such people exist. I am sure everyone on this part of the country knows about the problem on the highway. Yet, they will drive and cause issues to other drivers by ignoring basic driving etiquette. Why do they think that every road they drive on belongs to them and everyone else should adjust? Anyway, we were stuck there for ~1 hour, post which the drive is a breeze.
On our return on Sunday afternoon, the Mumbai Pune stretch was traffic free. No halting at all in the ghat section. I found the cops were now allowing vehicles on the Mumbai route. The Pune-Mumbai route had a 15 min odd waiting time, which i found was adequate. Maybe the rerouting onto the expressway was being carried out since the city was already congested with moronic drivers
Old 4th November 2015, 17:38   #392
BHPian

Saw quite a few cars piled up on Mumbai pune expressway before the toll naka ( pune to Mumbai side). Not sure what happened.

My guess is that an accident happened yesterday on the same spot and just now saw few cars piled up at the very same place. The traffic from pune to Mumbai ( near khalapur toll Naka) is blocked.

Be safe.
Old 16th November 2015, 10:11   #393
BHPian

Did 2 Pune-Mumbai trips in Diwali week.

Long queues at toll nakas, yet it was not blocked, traffic was moving and just took 5-10 mins extra. I have never seen the express way so busy.

As usual there were lots of idiots doing high speed driving (100+ and reckless lane changes) from all and sundry right from Omni, Nano etc. to Audis/Mercs and Porches. Road safety.. what is that !! I saw some people were even overtaking at 80+ using the buffer shoulder space.

I think speed limit should be raised to 100 on flat sections and anyone who goes over 105 should be just made to wait for 4 hours in the hot sun. Fines will help but wasting time will be better.

I was driving my Polo GT and just set CC at 85-90 and stuck to middle lane. Moved to fast lane for overtaking. It was "relaxing". Except for the ghat section its best to just cruise at a constant speed.

Last edited by freedom : 16th November 2015 at 10:15.
freedom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2016, 16:13   #394
BHPian

If you are not aware already ...

The expressway will be "partially" shut down from 22nd Feb till Mar 11 for urgent maintenance work. Please check the traffic situation before embarking on a journey through the expressway.

http://zeenews.india.com/news/mahara...1_1858016.html
sukhoi30 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2016, 10:44   #395
BHPian

Traveled this weekend on expressway. On Friday 11th, while going to pune saw that repairs near Khandala tunnel are almost complete and leftmost lane was open to vehicles.

Came back today morning from pune to Airoli mindspace. Almost every car did overtake me because I was driving at steady 80-85 kmph.

One incident I want to share is that, in fast lane one semi-luxury MSRTC non AC bus was driving and behind that one Toyota Innova who was also driving at 80-85 kmph speeds. I was in middle lane and waited for that Innova to come to middle lane and overtake ST bus so that both of us can go ahead.

Suddenly one white colour Mercedes comes from behind, starts flashing lights and wants to go ahead. The leftmost lane was free and I was observing Innova to get to middle lane so that I can follow him, overtake the ST bus in fast lane and continue driving. It is very painful when you are in middle lane and some vehicle in fast lane is driving slower than 80 kmph. The cars cut across very fast from top to middle lane and its a good recipe for disaster.

So finally that white Mercedes decided to overtake me by leftmost lane. By that time Innova had overtaken the ST bus and I also moved ahead. The Mercedes belonged to some hotel because the number plate was yellow on black. It denotes private taxi of a hotel.

To my surprise the Mercedes slowed down in left lane and including driver who was wearing white uniform started laughing at me and instructing me to wake up and wash my face etc etc.

I am sure that such embarrassment is faced not only by me for driving at sedate speeds of 80 kmph but most of the bhpians would have also faced.
I didn't react like a monkey because I am a human and asked what is the problem. Those idiots went away after doing some monkey like stunts.

We are taught in school that every other indian is our brother. When I see people driving at dangerous speeds, lane cutting and mocking slow vehicles it feels very bad.
turbodude is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2016, 12:46   #396
BHPian

Just came back from a 2 day trip to Pune, some observations from last nights drive on the expressway. I was in a company cab and not driving

1. Bikers - how the hell do they get on to the expressway and that too riding triple seats

2. While coming from Pune we have an exit for Panvel just before the railway overbridge, People have started using this 'exit' to 'enter' the expressway

3. truckers driving their huge bulks on the wrong side

What has happened to policing on the expressway ?

Regards
Dieseltuned
Old 22nd March 2016, 12:30   #397
BHPian

Speed checks are being carried out today. This is done on the route towards Pune. when you start from Mumbai, cops are standing about 2-3 kms after the first tunnnel. You will see the sign board stating 31 kms for Lonavala.

The speed gun and gang of cops is seen just after that in the shade of the rocks. i was on about 100 and saw a lot of commotion ahead so slowed down and thus didnt get into the trap.

But saw about 15 cars pulled over. especially BMWs, Audi's etc.

I actually saw the cops at the same spot last week too but i didnt find to post it here. seems like they are frequenting the spot now.
ShaileshHinge is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th April 2016, 12:51   #398
BHPian

Yesterday (25th April) I came from Pune to Mahape as usual. Saw big hoardings hanged saying SPECIAL DRIVE - HEAVY VEHICLES KEEP LEFT. The message was written in Marathi and English.

Was surprised to see one announcement while entering mall just before Khalapur toll plaza. It urged commuters to take a pic of heavy vehicles driving in middle and fast lane and send to them (sorry I missed out on the contact details).

Looks like some VIP got caught in ghat sections between trucks . So prompt actions followed.
Old 29th April 2016, 12:44   #399
Senior - BHPian

What's the latest toll on the Mumbai-Pune expressway ? I was deducted 117/- twice at 2 toll gates from my FASTag account . Is 234/- the right amount ?

Saw 195/- mentioned on the boards at the toll gates - probably they have not been updated ?
Old 29th April 2016, 13:47   #400
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
What's the latest toll on the Mumbai-Pune expressway ? I was deducted 117/- twice at 2 toll gates from my FASTag account . Is 234/- the right amount ?

Saw 195/- mentioned on the boards at the toll gates - probably they have not been updated ?
Basis our trip last weekend:

It is 117 if you do Mum-Lon, or Lon-Pune.
It is 195 if you do Mum-Pune.

In your case, the FASTag must've calculated 117 (to Lonavala) and another 117 (to Pune/Mumbai).
This is more likely an issue with the FASTag when there are different fares for different destinations.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2016, 14:23   #401
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
In your case, the FASTag must've calculated 117 (to Lonavala) and another 117 (to Pune/Mumbai).
This is more likely an issue with the FASTag when there are different fares for different destinations.
Correct. But it's a bug in the system. Charging 117/- first time is fine. The second time, the system should intelligently sense that this is a continued trip and deduct only (195-117=) Rs 78/-
Classic case of using technology without realizing its potential!
noopster is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th April 2016, 07:52   #402
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post

So what does one do now. Is there a way of claiming refunds in the FastTag system?
Alternative option is to not take the FastTag lane.

Last edited by @Chaand : 30th April 2016 at 07:53. Reason: Typo
Old 26th May 2016, 08:14   #403
BHPian

Noted businessman and builder D S Kulkarni met with an accident near Khandala on eway. His driver was dead on the spot. The accident happened due to a container crossing over the divider and hitting their car.

DSK got serious injuries but is reportedly out of danger.

(Could not find the news in English dailies as yet)
http://www.loksatta.com/pune-news/ds...ssway-1242856/

What bothers is, there are many accidents, which are mostly avoidable by following traffic rules and observing some speed and overtaking restraint on highways. Unfortunately people who suffer, get injured or lose their lives have no fault of theirs in many cases.
Old 26th May 2016, 10:53   #404
BHPian

I think I passed this accident last night on my way to Lonavala. It was just before the Lonavala / Khandala Exit, that sharp turn. Since it was pouring down, guess the truck driver must have misjudged the turn, as I saw a lot of vehicles which had skidded off the road.

I think it was a black Land Cruiser, very badly smashed. However there were multiple cars which were damaged; another Indigo, Innova, a bus and two trucks.
Old 26th May 2016, 15:47   #405
BHPian

Quote:
Some lanes of the Pune-Mumbai Expressway are likely to be closed for two months during the monsoon as the Maharashtra State Road Development Corporation (MSRDC) will be completing fresh rock bolting work and installing steel ropes near Adoshi tunnel in the Bor Ghat section to prevent landslides.

One or two lanes of the three-lane Mumbai-bound corridor will be closed depending on the scale of work.
Source

That's gonna add to the chaos this monsoon.

Why don't they ban trucks and heavy vehicles from the expressway? Instead they can use the old Pune-Mumbai highway. I think that will be best way to solve this accident and breakdown issue once and for all.

Last edited by noopster : 26th May 2016 at 16:32. Reason: Added an abstract

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks