Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2006, 16:56   #1
BHPian

2 fatal superbike crashes - Mumbai

These happened a month apart and have been posted by me earlier at another forum.
So some of u, who r members there also, may already be aware of it.
For the others, here are the details.

Sunday the 19th of February
One of the occasional members of our SBK group had a horrific crash during a ride to Amby valley. There were about 18 bikes for the ride that day.
I met him and even took his pic just 10 minutes before the crash at Mc Donalds of Panvel.
Incidentally, I turned back from Mc Donalds as I had a conference to attend in the early afternoon and the rest of the guys went ahead.
He was riding a CBR 600rr.
It was a head on collision with a sumo on one of the narrow bridges of Panvel.
I was told that he was at a speed of 100 when the sumo came in front of him.
He suffered fatal head and chest injuries.
Bike was totally wrecked.
He was in his early 20s & was wearing a very good quality imported helmet and alpinestar gear.

Sunday the 19th of March
This rider was a very good friend of mine and used to live close by.
In fact our kids went to nursery together and we would chat when both of us went to pick them up.
He owned a GSXR 750 of the late 80s and was a good rider.

I was not there during the fateful ride but came to know of the entire incident by a common friend who was with him (on another bike) when he crashed.
He was going at a relatively comfortable speed of 80 - 100 when his bike hit a stone in the middle of the road.
It was probably one of those, which these careless truck drivers scatter around their vehicles when something is wrong with them.
After they're ready to drive away, removing the stones from the road is the last thing on their minds
Anway, when his bike hit the stone, he was thrown off and hit his head on the divider. As he was heavily built, a lot of weight came on his head during the impact, as a consequence of which his helmet cracked and he suffered head injuries.
No other vehicle was involved.
Apparently he had absolutely no visible external injuries / wounds / bleeding anywhere.

I'm really shaken after these 2 deaths in quick succession!!!
When my folks came to know of these incidents they're almost hysterical.
Incidentally I had not told anyone of the previous crash also till yesterday.
So now, whether I like it or not, my bike has to go . . . . at least for the time being.
Besides, I'm sure I'd not be able to ride as confidently, at least till these memories are fresh in my mind.
Once again, my bike is up for sale and is lying with Jhonny (in Bandra) for the same purpose.

Some uncanny coincidences / similarities in both the accidents
Of all my biker friends, the guy who crashed this sunday was the first one to inform me about the previous tragic crash and we discussed it for a long time a month back !!!
Both the accidents took place on Sunday the 19th, a month apart.
Both happened in / around Panvel where we do not go often.
Most of the times my SBK group rides to Manor, which is in the opposite direction.
In both the cases the bikers were supposed to have been alive till they reached the hospital.

My deepest sympathies are with their families
May their souls rest in peace.

PLEASE ride carefully guys.
And don't rip un-necessarily in crowded areas and unless u have a high level of mastery and understanding of your bike and adequate knowledge of the road on which u're riding.
These SBKs have a lot of power and it would not be wrong to call them 'suicide machines' !!!
Old 22nd March 2006, 16:59   #2
Team-BHP Support

Sad. Really sad. However these incidents can happen whether you're riding a superbike or a CD100. The selfish and careless nature of the motoring public in India is, by and large, the most dangerous aspect of driving/riding in India.

My condolences to his family.
Old 22nd March 2006, 17:00   #3
BANNED

Man that sucks big time.. my condolences to the families.
I agree with your last line bikefreak...these new generation of bikes that are coming out do have a lot of power.. and the thing is that we tend not to respect them.. thats when they turn and bite us in the behind.. Ride carefully guys.
Old 22nd March 2006, 17:03   #4
Senior - BHPian

Really sad!

May God give strength to their families in this time of grief.
Old 22nd March 2006, 17:11   #5
Team-BHP Support

A very sad thing to have happened. My condolences to their families.
Old 22nd March 2006, 17:15   #6
Senior - BHPian

This is really sad. Even the helmet is useless at speeds that these bikes can touch.
Old 22nd March 2006, 17:22   #7
BHPian

my condolences to the families.. really sad...what scared me is that, altho the 600 RR rider had decent gear on, it did'nt help..very unfortunate for both of them, and their familes.
Old 22nd March 2006, 17:29   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech
However these incidents can happen whether you're riding a superbike or a CD100.
Very true. I myself have lost two friends in bike accidents, again with this scary similarity - the second person died on the anniversary of the first one's death. They werent riding superbikes and at least one of them was doing very normal speeds.

bikefreak I guess you're pretty shaken. Just take it easy for a while and wait to get back to normal before you ride again - a biker without confidence is not good for himself.
Old 22nd March 2006, 17:36   #9
BHPian

My apologies with the families of the bereaved..
Old 22nd March 2006, 18:11   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
wait to get back to normal before you ride again - a biker without confidence is not good for himself.
That is funny now that you have mentioned it. Since the last time I had an accident that involved me on the bike and a speeding, careless truck, I have a twitch in my right foot - the braking foot - that sometimes kicks in when I see my speedo crossing 60. :(

Last edited by typeOnegative : 22nd March 2006 at 18:14.
Old 22nd March 2006, 19:15   #11
Senior - BHPian

That is sad news. Very sad.
My condolences to family.
Old 22nd March 2006, 19:16   #12
BHPian

Really sad, condolences to the families.
I too have a collegemate in coma for 13 years now.. he was riding a rx100 then....
In my biking course of 10 yrs I met with minor accidents now and then, but once a stray dog got me 8 stiches and a clean shave of skin in my hand, that was when i called it off.
Bikers be very careful when you drive.
Old 22nd March 2006, 19:33   #13
Tom
BHPian

sad story. My condolences.

95% of motor-deaths are caused due to stupdity or drunken riding.
Rest 5% are 'accidents'.
Its all about having a 'survival instinct' which will come with experience.

Ride Safe.
Old 22nd March 2006, 20:43   #14
F50
Senior - BHPian

May God bless their family

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikefreak
Besides, I'm sure I'd not be able to ride as confidently, at least till these memories are fresh in my mind.
Very true. I banged into a Wagon R, coz out of no where he suddenly braked to give lift to someone .... the very next day I was hesitating to ride the bike again. I had to, but didnot cross 40 kph. That was a small thing but these incidents ....
Old 23rd March 2006, 01:47   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F 50
Very true. I banged into a Wagon R, coz out of no where he suddenly braked to give lift to someone ....
next time try not to tailgate anyone, in the US the drivers/riders handbook really stresses about the dangers of tailgating.
My condolences to the family of the victims.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks