Team-BHP - What happens when a Skoda VRS looses control...
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Street Experiences (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experiences/)
-   -   What happens when a Skoda VRS looses control... (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experiences/11526-what-happens-when-skoda-vrs-looses-control.html)

...and spins backwards into a stationary object.

Well, see for yourself. Apparently the person driving lost control, hit a lamp post right on the drivers door, which spun the car around and backwards in a bus-stop and the momentum took the car into a second bustop about 75 feet beyond the first one.

Although the body looks wasted, the impact did not reach the interior of the car. All those members here who say that the Octavia's build quality is only "percieved" may want to take back those words.

If this is the safety provided by an Octavia, I'm more than hapy to live with the high spare parts costs. "Live" being the apt word here!

The best part is that the insurance surveyour from TATA-AIG came over, asessed the damage and says that the car can be repaired. And for only Rs.45,000/-! TATA apparently think Skoda authorised service centres are charities! So it's not only ICICI that play games but other so called good private companies that try these stunts as well. Nationalised Insurance zindabadd!!!

p.s. Please, no comments on the owners even if someone knows them.

WHAT !! Just 45k to repair that damage - that very cheap - where are they getting it repaired from ??

BTW - thats a real bad crash - and I am glad that there was no-one hurt ....

Bad shunt, Looks like he has hit the curb with the left side before ploughing into the bus stand (s). Explains suspension damage to front left and rear left. Atleast thats what I am assuming.

Quote:

WHAT !! Just 45k to repair that damage - that very cheap - where are they getting it repaired from ??
I think you read my post wrong. The Insurance company says that, according to them, the total cost of damages should not exceed Rs.45,000/- exclusive of parts. Ofcourse, in the real world, this is impossible!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rtech
I think you read my post wrong. The Insurance company says that, according to them, the total cost of damages should not exceed Rs.45,000/- exclusive of parts.

They've got a hope in hell. 45,000 will just about cover cost of the two rims and tyres (if bought from Skoda)

At what speed did this happen??? any idea...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rtech
I think you read my post wrong. The Insurance company says that, according to them, the total cost of damages should not exceed Rs.45,000/- exclusive of parts. Ofcourse, in the real world, this is impossible!

a-ha (..tubelight starts up..)

Did those guys borrow some dope from Skoda or what ....

Looking at the car i can assure you the repairs wont be anything less then 2Lacs. 45,000 wont even get Three Alloys for the car. All Alloys will have to be replaced with the tyres. Rear View Mirrors it self cost a bomb at around 14k. I wonder Tata-AIG were not thinking that the car will be repaired by Maruti with such cheap spares.

According to me the replacements visible will be: -
4 Spider Alloys - 85k
4 205/55/16 Eagle NCT 5 - 20k
Rear Glass
Rear Tailamps
RHS Mirror - 14k
Rear Bumper
Front Bumper
Rear Dickey(Welding this one back to normal wont be possible)
Rear Antenna
Rear Spoiler
Parkotronic
Rear and front left side suspension
Dashboard + Steering Wheel + Airbags ( if they deployed)
Right Hand Font Door(Full replacement) + Right Side Front Body Panel
Left Hand Door + Right Hand Rear Door(Welding)

Looking at the car the spares seems to be endless and also i guess even after the car is repaired it wont get back to normal as this crash seems to have affected the structure of the car.

Intrestingly the Front Left hand door is totally undamaged along with the Sunroof(thankfully)

P.S Did this car have a K n N filter??

EDIT - Airbag wouldnot have deployed since this was not a frontal crash

That one bad crash. But amazing build quality does its job, the passenger cell in almost intact. Though main impact came from rear but looking at how passenger cell has been intact it would be safe to say car will hold on safely in case of frontal impact.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RTech
If this is the safety provided by an Octavia, I'm more than happy to live with the high spare parts costs. "Live" being the apt word here!

I totally agree.

Saw the car and yes the passenger cell is intact, infact the people in the car were able to actually open the doors and climb out.
What more can you say about good old German build quality, and Im not talking about merc's here at all...lol

Just reminded me the horror incident that we had in the zen .. Must say thats one horrific crash , and lovely to see the skoda take the impact and prevent the passengers from getting hurt .. Yes , like RT said if this is what i get from the skoda build quality then who cares for the expensive spares ..

About the 45,000 estimate well yeah i would love to see that happen ..

Btw cant the owner just claim a total loss on it ??

thats a bad crash , thank God all the passengers "WALKED" out. German Engineering , love it.

Busa - Your estimate was quick - Do you by any chance looking out at working in the Insuarance field ? :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by normally_crazy
Busa - Your estimate was quick - Do you by any chance looking out at working in the Insuarance field ? :)

lol: I love the Skodas so have learned the cost of all the spares since they are always in the limelight for their costlier spares.

I agree with Rtech that built quality of the car is good. Infact Safety of the Octavia is one of the best this side of 20L no doubting it. Buttt when i said the built quality is not so good as its perceived i never meant about the safety issue i always meant that the test drive L n K was rattling and from what i have heard Skodas have awesome built quality was just not like it. The metal of the Skoda is awesome. Infact i have given it a pet name Tank GTI. I just wished that the Skoda didnot have rattles which have been observed by quite a few people from the rear left door.

Also Rtech it would be nice if you could tell us how exactly this happened. What speeds was the car going. I dont inteend to know the name of the person neither want to comment on them just curious to know about how exactly it happened.

P.S any on remembers seeing the advert of the India Octy. It goes like this : " The most well built luxury car, available in 1.9TDi and 1.8 Petrol Versions"

OT : Was your OCTY near Diamond Gardens on Monday?

Quote:

I love the Skodas so have learned the cost of all the spares since they are always in the limelight for their costlier spares.
Well then, I think your budget was far too conservative! Try tripling that figure you mentioned and you will be close (I'm guessing).

Quote:

Also Rtech it would be nice if you could tell us how exactly this happened. What speeds was the car going. I dont inteend to know the name of the person neither want to comment on them just curious to know about how exactly it happened.
I already explained whatever I know about the accident. Don't want to speculate about speeds, etc, as there is no way to know for sure.

Quote:

OT : Was your OCTY near Diamond Gardens on Monday?
Yea, that is really OT!! Anyways, no idea, i wasn't driving it on Monday. (end it here :) )

Firstly, Skoda is a Czech and not a German car.

The car is in real bad shape ... Skoda tanker saved the occupants.

I liked the fact that there are people in India who appreciate safety and solid built car shells like Skoda and Fiats.

Trust me only Europeans have solid built cars which give a tank like feel.
eg:- Fiat Palio although a hatch is much safer than the Ikon / Accents.

In our country we only have Czech and Italian cars with tank like feel now bcoz Opel (German) is no more being promoted by GM now in India with Chevy brand doing well.