Re: Road rage confession

Road rage at its peak,

Old 30th January 2015, 23:23   #227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Road rage at its peak,
Poor pickup guy, he should by now understand that even if the fault is with the bigger guy, he shouldnt be messing around with them. The truck driver seems to be lucky with his stars, he was driving so dangerously that he could have had his truck flipped over.

I feel for the other drivers on the road who were at higher risk as well.
Old 4th February 2015, 12:04   #228
BHPian

Bumped into this thread and thought I would share a few of my experiences. When I started driving, I used to be a bit rash, but over the years it has toned down. I like to drive fast, but I reserve it for the empty highways. In cities, I am very cautious. I am a bit of a hot-head losing my composure pretty easily, but I also regain it soon. Here are my stories :

1. I was driving my Vento from Thrissur to Angamaly on a 4 lane highway(2 lanes on each side). I was occupying the right most lane. There was a truck in the left lane. I checked my mirrors and was about to overtake. Honked once, the truck driver understood my intentions and gave me a signal to proceed. I did, and when my front bumper was about to clear the truck's rear tyre, a persistent honking and flashing of lights caught my attention. A BMW 3-er appeared out of nowhere and was squeezing through the gap between me and the truck in a 2 lane highway, on the middle of an overtaking maneuver ! The truck driver steered towards the left and I towards the right, almost crashing onto the median. To my surprise, it was driven by an old man! Somehow avoided a crash and my blood was boiling with rage. I usually let cars which are segments higher being driven hard pass through, as there's no point keeping them at bay. But this was preposterous. Downshifted and chased the guy with continuous honking. Somehow caught up to him and honked even further and overtook his car ever so close to mine! Slowly, common sense began to triumph over rage, and I pulled over at the next intersection and took some deep breaths. The 3-er went ahead on its way of terrorizing further motorists. Continued on my journey once I cooled down.

2. I was driving from Velappaya to Thrissur. As I reached Thrissur, the traffic had started to accumulate. The road is again another 4 lane but narrower. Traffic is at crawling speeds. I was in the right lane. Cars were trying to cross from a pocket road on the other side to my lane through a gap in the median, effectively blocking my lane as well as the opposite side. So I come to a halt and let them pass. All of the cars which were trying to cross had passed through and I slowly took my car forward. At this time, a Swift driver who had just reached the end of the pocket road, raced across the opposite side and thought the gap in the median and into my lane. There was no space for him to pass through. I honked in despair, but he just nudged ahead so dear close to my car and had no intention of stopping. I couldn't even move to the left, as there were cars in the left lane too.

Name:  ForumRunner_20150204_113404.png
Views: 1575
Size:  499.4 KB

Somehow, the gentleman towards my left moved his car off road so that I could move mine to the left. After all this acrobatics, the cars were still stuck in the traffic jam. I got out of my car and bumped the guys glass. He rolled the glass down and I gave him a piece of my mind. By this time, the traffic had started to move and this guy flew his car forward almost running over my feet! I got into my car, somehow maneuvered through the traffic and got ahead of him and kept him at bay for a few seconds. At the intersection, we went our separate ways. But the incident left me fuming for atleast the next half hour or so.

3. This happened while I was driving my Swift with family onboard. Was traveling from Angamaly to Perumbavoor. Was driving very sedately. There was a KSRTC bus behind me. While approaching a turn the KSRTC driver decided to overtake me! Taken by surprise, I steered towards the left and to my shock there was a Tata ace pickup overtaking me through my left side. Apparently, I was caught within a rat race between the ace and the bus!! To make matters worse, due to oncoming traffic, the bus steered towards my left and I didn't have any space to go! Slammed the brakes and somehow avoided a major collision. Was furious with those arrogant fools and raced the car and overtook the ace. Brake checked him for quite some time and him towards the left side of the road. Next up was the bus. It had come to halt at a bus stop. I overtook the bus and stopped in front of him, making him unable to move forward. Taught him some Sanskrit too for putting the lives of others in danger! Drove off after some time.

4. This happened while I was driving my Vento in Thrissur. I was driving through a 2 lane road. In order to go to my apartment I have to take a right turn. I put my right indicator well in advance in preparation for the turn when an Innova came up rushing to my rear honking and flashing lights. I had already started to coast to my right side. My left side was free, but somehow he wanted to overtake through my right side(talk about taking rules too seriously!!) I didn't let him pass and by this time he was driving with his right side wheels off road, wanting to overtake me before I make the turn! Within a second,I hear a loud thud! I was totally freaked out thinking that he rammed onto my car! When I checked my mirror, saw that the Innova had rammed into a pile of slabs left by the side of the road. I turned into my road and continued my journey.

These are few of the experiences that I've come across. I'm not proud of my actions in some of these instances, but the arrogant drivers that flood our roads do sometimes bring out the devil in us!

Last edited by GKR9900 : 4th February 2015 at 12:05.
GKR9900 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2015, 12:26   #229
BHPian

Living in Mumbai, road rage is pretty common but compared to other cities like Delhi & Haryana, not quite as terrible. I'm more pissed off about the fact that people love to scratch cars. For some messed up reason, people in Mumbai LOVE to scratch cars. This is a picture of my beloved Beat which was ruined by some punk. I really wish I could remove all the pent up road rage on such people!
Attached Thumbnails
Road rage confession-imag1706.jpg  

Old 4th February 2015, 13:41   #230
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKR9900 View Post
Bumped into this thread and thought I would share a few of my experiences. When I started driving, I used to be a bit rash, but over the years it has toned down. I like to drive fast, but I reserve it for the empty highways. In cities, I am very cautious. I am a bit of a hot-head losing my composure pretty easily, but I also regain it soon. Here are my stories :
Driving in Kerala is like being a part of Death race. I hail from PAlakkad and currently settled in Pune from last 10 months and before that In Mumbai. Before I used to curse the traffic sense in Mumbai, but after looking at the scenario in Pune and Kerala I can safely say Mumbai is infinite times better. Attaching some snap shots from my dash cam during my visit to Kerala,taken at the famed Palakkad Trissur highway.
Attached Thumbnails
Road rage confession-risky-bus.jpg  

Road rage confession-smart-auto.jpg  

Road rage confession-stupid-bus_1.jpg  

rakesh_r is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th February 2015, 13:54   #231
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
Driving in Kerala is like being a part of Death race. Attaching some snap shots from my dash cam during my visit to Kerala,taken at the famed Palakkad Trissur highway.
Ah yes! The Palakkad Thrissur highway. Had my share of heart in mouth experiences while driving through there. I think most of them bus drivers acquired their licenses from the US, always driving through the right hand side and all. Poor confused souls!

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo_ankit View Post
For some messed up reason, people in Mumbai LOVE to scratch cars. This is a picture of my beloved Beat which was ruined by some punk. I really wish I could remove all the pent up road rage on such people!
Just watching that pic makes me writhe in pain. I don't think any car lover can bear watching their prized possession being tortured like this. It's not just in Mumbai, here in Kerala too there are punks like these. Had some bad experiences with previous cars. One of my friend's i20 was scratched along the side from the headlamp to the tail lamp. Oh! The atrocity!

Last edited by GKR9900 : 4th February 2015 at 14:04.
GKR9900 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2015, 14:27   #232
BHPian

Quote:
Ah yes! The Palakkad Thrissur highway. Had my share of heart in mouth experiences while driving through there. I think most of them bus drivers acquired their licenses from the US, always driving through the right hand side and all. Poor confused souls!
Bus driving filthy souls are same in every part of this unfortunate Country. Sorry for using such a language on the forum, but these bus drivers deserve it!!

I had a very bad experience when I was on the Trichy-Namakkal state highways in Tamilnadu when a local private transport bus driver moved from left side of the road to right side (still don't know for what he did that) and later sharply moved back from right lane to the left. I was driving without any lane jumping. When he moved to the left back, the bus's left side bumper hit my car on the right rear wheel arch leaving a big dent.

The scene is something similar to the Alto and the bus picture posted above by rakesh r. The only difference is that my car was ahead of the bus.

Negotiations and nothing worked for me that day. Even the Cops were supporting the locals. You know how our Cops and the Government function right!!!

God save this Country from all these Hooligans!!

Last edited by rki2007 : 4th February 2015 at 14:32.
Old 4th February 2015, 14:35   #233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
Bus driving filthy souls are same in every part of this unfortunate Country. Sorry for using such a language on the forum, but these bus drivers deserve it!!
Last week one of my neighbor, a budding IT 26yr old entrepreneur was killed by a Concrete Mixer on Bannerghatta Road. This was all because of road rage of the truck which was following so closely to my neighbor that, while he slowed down his bike to take a turn, the truck hit him and ran over him.

I wonder with all the trucks prohibited during wee hours, still this happened.

Is there any forum, where I can put across the point of concrete mixers/ lorries moving across in residential areas be banned unless they have to visit the specific construction site in that vicinity?
Old 4th February 2015, 14:49   #234
BHPian

I have had many road rage situations, but able to control myself quickly. But I got to know the importance of self control when I encountered the situation for the first time.

I stayed in Gurgaon for 6 months for my internship, where I had Wagon R. I used to commute daily (first time independently) for a distance of ~20kms. I liked the traffic sense of people here, a lot better than in Kurukshetra. Lane driving, proper indications, no/little impatience, follow rules, giving way, etc

But there are always people who don't like others to have a relaxed drive. And most of the time they are taxi or auto drivers. One can't do anything of those auto drivers (tried and tested) but the rough taxi drivers, without owner's number at rear, are tough to handle and towards the mid of my intern, one incident put my patience above its limits.

I was at Iffco chowk, going towards signature tower. A normal routine with cars going all random as soon as it is green light. I try to keep myself towards left since there are a lot of people turning right from their left lanes, especially busses. On this day everything was fine till mid, when I saw a "Force Traveller", speeding up from my left, honking non-stop. Though there was space on my left, but cars of crossing lane were just ahead waiting impatiently for their turn. But this traveller still forced to overtake me from left, with space, through which a sedan would also require to maneuver a sharp cut. No doubt, I had to apply by brakes but my rage level went skyrocketing and I speeded up in his front with sufficient gap, and applied hard brakes to almost 20kmph from 60. Being not sufficient for my rage, I speeded up a little and prevented him from overtaking me quite a few times, snake like movement. I could see traveller rocking to and fro laterally, still he didn't slowed down. But sufficient for my rage hunger and I speed up to take diversion to stay on slip road. I could feel he was trying to catch up, right at my tail, but I drove away.

I came to a stop at side of road and took a short break. I felt what I did was wrong, and decided not to repeat.

Similar situation occurred when I was with my family on a trip in Jaipur-Agra highway, where I chased a Verna in my Xcent for more than 10kms. What he did was a sharp cut (scratched my bumper) at speeds 120+ and hard brakes in front of me. Thank god with my reactions on handbrake and maneuver. The second time I felt the absence of ABS, gave a taunt to Dad for ignoring
I did what he did, except touching the car. He did try to chase but I let him go by pulling over at side. That time none from my family uttered any word, but just warned to be more careful.

I hope my patience level is increased a lot after these events. Now I just control me by thinking that culprit has his close one dying, the reason for his rashness.
Old 4th February 2015, 15:31   #235
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post

I had a very bad experience when I was on the Trichy-Namakkal state highways in Tamilnadu when a local private transport bus driver moved from left side of the road to right side (still don't know for what he did that) and later sharply moved back from right lane to the left. I was driving without any lane jumping. When he moved to the left back, the bus's left side bumper hit my car on the right rear wheel arch leaving a big dent.

The scene is something similar to the Alto and the bus picture posted above by rakesh r. The only difference is that my car was ahead of the bus.

Negotiations and nothing worked for me that day. Even the Cops were supporting the locals. You know how our Cops and the Government function right!!!

God save this Country from all these Hooligans!!
True this.
@GKR9900, the hooliganism of the bus drivers extend from the Mannuthy jn till about Avinashi. Once all the lanes of the highway are open, I hope to drive in peace atleast from Coimbatore.
Once around Avinashi (This was when it was still a 2 -lane) a private bus was overtaking a SETC bus which in turn was overtaking a truck! I dont have any words to desctibe them in a public forum. I have to jump the car off the highway to save myself!
Old 5th February 2015, 00:40   #236
BHPian

Road Rage is everywhere, though you DON'T start it, the fuel to the fire could be "YOU". I understand that most of the members who share their experience do understand this and have followed and are practicing more sane methods of driving, one off incidents couldn't be avoided.

Let me share my experience; age, experience, maturity level, responsibility have changed my riding / driving behavior from a "speed / rash" driver to a "Fuel Efficiency looking / composed / Sedate" driver. I am known in my friend's circle for speedy rides on my bikes that includes the Royal Enfield Bullet, but the same friend's are now surprised with the way I drive now. For me, my family first before anything else, I keep reminding myself of them along with the rising cost of fuel which helps me to drive sedately and avoid road rages.

Even with all these experiences, recently I had a road rage incident that was about to bud but died in less than a minute. The experience goes like this, this was on a city road with speed limit of 50 Kmph, after the signal turned green, I started moving, another car joined from a bylane before me (but with safe distance between us) but was driven at less than 35 Kmph, because my speed was close to 45 Kmph I was at his tail in no time, I dont know if it irked him, he violently pulled in to the parking lane and allowed me to pass and once I passed him he sneaked up on my tail and was closely tail gating (the speed was around 50 - 55 Kmph), I kept my cool and continued with the same speed, within about 20 seconds, I see that he started driving with a safe distance and was no longer tailgating. I thanked my stars for the road rage to die soon and continued my journey.

I am not sure if I am at fault but however, I didn't fuel the rage and let it die peacefully.
Old 5th February 2015, 08:18   #237
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balajird View Post
my speed was close to 45 Kmph I was at his tail in no time,

Were you tailing him too closely buddy? without leaving a considerable space as we ought to? If so then yeah, it might have irritated him. When some one tails me close, I really feel very uncomfortable, I would have done the same thing, but in half ie just move over to the side, and allow him to pass, and not tail him in return

Last edited by gabrielthomas : 5th February 2015 at 08:20.
Old 5th February 2015, 08:41   #238
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi182 View Post
This incident happened to me close to six months ago, but was suddenly reminded of it when reading up the posts in this thread...
Abhi182, Just wanted to thank you for starting this thread. I think that Reading the experiences of fellow members, and posting our experiences here helps us become more aware of our rage. Becoming aware is a good step towards being able to control our urge to rage upon others - and hence do our bit to make the roads safer.

Old 5th February 2015, 11:20   #239
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashir View Post
Similar situation occurred when I was with my family on a trip in Jaipur-Agra highway, where I chased a Verna in my Xcent for more than 10kms. What he did was a sharp cut (scratched my bumper) at speeds 120+ and hard brakes in front of me. Thank god with my reactions on handbrake and maneuver. The second time I felt the absence of ABS, gave a taunt to Dad for ignoring
I did what he did, except touching the car. He did try to chase but I let him go by pulling over at side. That time none from my family uttered any word, but just warned to be more careful.
I have had my share of road rage -win some/lost some (actually there is no winning or losing) but one thing I do keep in mind- with my family I am the most peace loving guy. This has somehow toned me down. It's easier to say but sadly difficult to preach.
rakesh_r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2015, 11:55   #240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Abhi182, Just wanted to thank you for starting this thread. I think that Reading the experiences of fellow members, and posting our experiences here helps us become more aware of our rage. Becoming aware is a good step towards being able to control our urge to rage upon others - and hence do our bit to make the roads safer.

The best solution for that is to move cities!

The paranoia in being caught in a mess (even of others' making) in a city where you can't speak a word of the local language automatically brings your anger down.
phamilyman is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks