Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2016, 21:04   #436
BHPian

Re: Road rage confession

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
All said and done, speed of less than 5 kmph is criminal! Even in society premises man! Honestly I would have honked and flashed too if I was the one behind you. One should drive safe but there is a thin line between Safe vs obstructing traffic behind you in the guise of safety. So ideally you should let cars behind you pass as they might not agree with your "less than 5 kmph speed limit".
Sir I differ from your opinion. In most societies in India with multi-story housing the main gate is hardly 500-600 mts. from each building. The 5 kmph limit is to ensure that even if a child or someone's pet suddenly emerges you'll be in a position to stop. Driving for 5 kmph for a short distance can hardly be categorised as criminal. Of course there are reasonable exceptions to this rule eg. emergency or even those days when you really need to run to the washroom

My society in Mayur Vihar has a strict 5 kmph rule which most of us adhere to. The one's who don't are rather well known. Also by way of further example and since i'm from pune both ganga satellite and clover have a huge compound but have a strict 10kmph rule which most people follow. Even in societies where there is no such rule driving at 5 kmph is commendable. I too have had a similar experience with one of the fast fellows at my Delhi home and I bluntly put him place by saying that if you are getting late start leaving a little earlier. That fellow has never bothered me again but continues to drive like a moron even inside the society premises. So if you get bunched up behind a slow driver within the society..grin and bear it
shady_lawyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2016, 21:05   #437
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 6th July 2016 at 23:00.
sumzup is offline   Received Infraction
Old 6th July 2016, 22:59   #438
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shady_lawyer View Post
Sir I differ from your opinion. In most societies in India with multi-story housing the main gate is hardly 500-600 mts. from each building. The 5 kmph limit is to ensure that even if a child or someone's pet suddenly emerges you'll be in a position to stop.
I respect your position. But 5 kmph is a joke to me. 15 kmph or 10 kmph is still digestible and I have come across signs displaying those limits. But never in my life have I seen a board stating 5 kmph. What speed does a teenage bicycle do? There are plenty of them in society compounds. I guess they are all speed junkies then if what you say is true about those speed limits. And the OP above says "less than 5 kmph" over and above.

Anyways good if you drive so safely in a country where people reverse at speeds higher than that!
Old 7th July 2016, 09:11   #439
BHPian

Average walking speed of a person is about 5kmph. I have stayed in over 4 townships across Ahmedabad, Mumbai and Bangalore and the minimum driving speed signs that I have noticed is of 15kmph. So yeah, as @drmohitg said above, 5kmph sounds like a joke to me as well. Having patience is one thing, but creating unnecessary impatience ends up causing what this thread is all about - road rage.
creative420 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th July 2016, 13:35   #440
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
All said and done, speed of less than 5 kmph is criminal! Even in society premises man! Honestly I would have honked and flashed too if I was the one behind you. One should drive safe but there is a thin line between Safe vs obstructing traffic behind you in the guise of safety. So ideally you should let cars behind you pass as they might not agree with your "less than 5 kmph speed limit".
I totally understand what you are trying to say sir and believe me i would have done the same thing on any normal road. Sadly, our internal road is far from normal-i have been raising a big hue and cry about it in the society but my appeals have fallen on deaf ears. Kindly refer to the below image to have a clear understanding of the situation
Road rage confession-drmohitg.jpg

As can be clearly seen the road is bordered on one side by row houses and on the other by our common garden. Sadly ,an already narrow road (potholed) has been made narrower due to the cars parked outside the entries of the row houses. There have been many near misses due to this. A person or bike coming out of the row house is in the car driver's blind spot. Also the exit of the garden opens out on to the road and it is common in the evening to suddenly see kids darting out of the exit. There have been many near miss incidences due to this as well (I had such an experience myself). Factor in the joggers and the pedestrians on the approach road, it is understandable that i would crawl slowly along. What irked me is that fact, that the lady in question is a resident of the society and knows that this is a dangerous stretch of the road, doubly so in the evenings.After the incident i did some back checking and i came to know that this lady had run over a puppy which had darted out from below a car on the same patch of the road. She did not learn from the incident and i really really fear the next accident might be graver if people continue to drive fast on that road. Its only a small stretch, maximum of 40 feet. I do not see the harm in driving slowly especially when there are signs on this road urging you to drive slowly.
What triggered my rage that day was despite knowing the road is dangerous, and knowing that there have been near misses on the road- the person still does not learn and insists on creating a nuisance by honking and flashing away to glory.
Once again this is my personal opinion and i really do respect your opinion as well, and i reiterate that i would probably have flashed if the road would have been a bit wider and smoother. Kindly do not consider my views as criticism. I am not defending my road rage-i have indeed learnt my lesson. I only wished to clarify my position and the trigger incident for my rage, but it does not justify my actions and for that i am truly sorry.
ankurchaturvedi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2016, 09:34   #441
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Would like to report myself in this thread as i could not find a thread for rash/bad driving confessions. This incident occurred yesterday at about 5 P.M outside the IIT-B main gate on JVLR.I had some work at IIT and left the campus via the main gate just past 5 in the evening before the peak hour traffic can build up.I had a co-worker with me and he wished to board a bus to Kandivali. Hence as soon as i turned onto the JVLR, i stopped in the middle of the road,switched on my hazard lights and disgorged him.The traffic started bunching up behind me and i was getting a bit flustered. Hence after he left the car,i pulled away sharply and did not check my right ORVM. There was a Swift changing lanes and i had swerved into his lane. He had to apply emergency brakes and came to a screeching halt about 6 inches away from my door. I got a richly deserved earful from him. Said sorry and moved off. I made two mistakes 1) Halting in the middle of the road (2) Making a fast start and not checking RVM's. Feeling ashamed and will not be repeating the same again.

Mods: Please delete if this post is in an inappropriate thread.
Old 8th July 2016, 11:55   #442
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankurchaturvedi View Post
I got a richly deserved earful from him. Said sorry and moved off. I made two mistakes 1) Halting in the middle of the road (2) Making a fast start and not checking RVM's. Feeling ashamed and will not be repeating the same again.

Mods: Please delete if this post is in an inappropriate thread.
Brother, if you keep running into people at this pace, I am not sure of well-being of yourself and your car. But absolutely sure of you becoming a BHPian very soon (with >25 posts on road rage confessions thread)

Pun aside, a little bit of patience goes a long way in avoiding unpleasant experiences on road. I try to follow this rule to the T in my daily 4 hours commute
Gotham_City is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th July 2016, 13:11   #443
BHPian

This happened in November 2011. My Manza was brand new and I was driving back home after picking up my daughter from her coaching class. The gate at the Lingampally rail crossing was closed and there was a huge pile up of traffic. Users of this road will remember that the fly over at this crossing was under construction and the whole area around the crossing was a big mess.

There was no divider on this two lane road. Whenever this gate was closed, the pile up of traffic was always unruly and totally undisciplined. Autos, two wheelers and even commercial vehicles would try to jockey for space and block the right lane. And when the gate opens, they would try to barge into the left lane, cutting vehicles that had been waiting patiently in line. Traffic jams were quite frequent and it was quite normal for the gate to close for the next train before you cross; even if you were just fourth or fifth from the gate. This was entirely due to the unruly behavior of the Autos, bikes and commercial vehicles.

It was raining heavily that evening. I was second in line from the gate. When the gate opened and we were about half way across the track, an Auto suddenly tried to barge in front of me from the left. He actually overtook me from the left while we were still crossing the track. The visiblility was poor and he came in without warning. I was too late to see him coming and the auto hit my left fender, bumper and head light.

Something snapped in my head and I gave chase and caught up with him and blocked him after about 500 mtrs. I had murder on my mind when I jumped out and ran towards the Auto. He had already backed off a bit and before I could approach him, he took off again. I wanted to rush back into the car and give chase again, but then I saw that my daughter also got off the car and she too had the angry, wild look on her face; wanting to bash up the Auto guy, just like I wanted to.

Only then I realized how foolish I was. She was 16 and just a chit of a girl. I realized what a bad example I had set. Instead of teaching her tolerance and the futility of conflict, I almost got into a fight, and worse still, she almost got involved because of my foolish behavior. No amount of provocation can justify my action on that day; especially since I know my daughter’s fiery temper very well.
Enobarbus is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 19th July 2016, 14:31   #444
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enobarbus View Post
This happened in November 2011. My Manza was brand new and I was driving back home after picking up my daughter from her coaching class. The gate at I realized what a bad example I had set. Instead of teaching her tolerance and the futility of conflict, I almost got into a fight, and worse still, she almost got involved because of my foolish behavior. No amount of provocation can justify my action on that day; especially since I know my daughter’s fiery temper very well.
Kudos to you sir,i have been involved in similar incidences and trust me it takes a lot of control to do what you did.I have to admit that if i was in your place, things could have ended differently. Its actions like yours which remind us to maintain our composure on the road and drive safe.Actions like these inspire me to stay cool always.
Old 1st August 2016, 10:29   #445
BHPian

So call Educated "Uneducated"

Today morning incidence - 1st August 2016. Location Aundh Road. Time 8:15am

Cars involved - i10 Red (mine) and i10 black (other guy)

I was driving from Aundh to Kharadi via Aundh Road and was nearing Bhau Patil road junction. I was on the median side as I had to go straight. Its a 4 lane road with the median in between.

This guy in black i10 overtook me from left side and continued in the same lane for 10 metres or so and we are almost parallel to each other with my bonnet around his front door. He starts cutting into my lane and is millimetres away from me. Too close to anyone's comfort. I apply brakes, but give him a long horn to show my disapproval of his action.

The guy stops in front of me, blocking my lane looking angrily at me. I tell him that he should check his RHS mirror and shoulder before changing lanes. Guy gets out of his car ( I am still inside my car) and so the dialogue goes

Other Guy : What happened?
Me : You cut into my lane and almost hit me. Please check before cutting lane
OG: There was someone in my path. Should I run over him?
Me: No you shouldn't. You should slow down or brake or stop, but not cut dangerously into my lane.
OG: This is India. Don't teach me how to drive. You IT guys drive all over the world and expect us to follow those rules here. ( he probably notice lynyard that I was wearing)
Me: Stop giving me that B*** S*** (BS). If you don't know the rules, atleast don't make it evident to other.

and so on the dialogue goes....

How to teach or make people understand that they are wrong and by not just yelling that they are right. I noted his regn number and wanted to put it up here. Have taken a pic too.

The so called educated act worst than uneducated.

Utter frustrations....
rkavthekar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2016, 10:49   #446
BHPian

Re: So call Educated "Uneducated"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkavthekar View Post
OG: This is India. Don't teach me how to drive. You IT guys drive all over the world and expect us to follow those rules here. ( he probably notice lynyard that I was wearing)
Utter frustrations....
I can empathize with you, have been in similar situations where ignorant drivers can give you scary moments. Of late the situation has become so bad, that the best recourse is to grin & bear.

My neighbor, who owns a good collection of vehicles and who has about 10 years of driving experience, still feels that if you manage to get in one half of your vehicle, irrespective of the condition of the traffic, you can never be at fault

The only response i can think of is that probably he owns only the first half of the vehicle??

As Pumba (lion king ) would say, Hakuna Matata & happy week to you/

Cheers
kutoos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2016, 07:28   #447
Senior - BHPian

Came across this incident that happened in Bangalore yesterday.

Army Officer Attacked By Bengaluru Locals In Road Rage For Being A 'North Indian'
http://www.indiatimes.com/news/india...an-259243.html
Old 2nd August 2016, 08:27   #448
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post

Army Officer Attacked By Bengaluru Locals In Road Rage For Being A 'North Indian'
Wrong thread sir - this is a confession thread, not road rage incident.

Unless of course if you were one of the folks involved or were around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shady_lawyer View Post
My society in Mayur Vihar has a strict 5 kmph rule which most of us adhere to.
\
Wow. The average human's walking speed is more than that. Maybe your society might want to re-evaluate the speed limit; most societies and corporate offices I have seen in India have a 15kmph or 20kmph limit, which works pretty well to prevent the issues you mentioned.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 2nd August 2016 at 08:38.
Old 2nd August 2016, 08:28   #449
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkavthekar View Post

Cars involved - i10 Red (mine) and i10 black (other guy)

The so called educated act worst than uneducated.

Utter frustrations....
Having heard this argument many times from many people, I have simply given up taking such people to task or making them realise their folly. The only thing it does is spoil our day while the idiots go off merrily with a sense of having won the battle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post

A sad state of affairs. Just the other day I was reading about racism against Indians in countries like the UK, USA and Australia. This got me thinking that in our own country, we treat people from outside our state/city as foreigners out to rob us and then we expect people from other countries to treat us respectfully !!

In Maharashtra there is always someone or the other cursing the UP/Bihar people while down south in Karnataka there is always a battle between the locals (kannadigas) and the non-locals (particularly if the non locals do not know the local language) and being non-local acts against you in any road incident.

Last edited by luvDriving : 2nd August 2016 at 08:30. Reason: grammar
Old 2nd August 2016, 15:13   #450
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rselva View Post
One of the Mahindra Van (which was parked nearby ) driver got down, pushed the rock with some effort and made way for my car. I just drove away.It’s been a week and I feel so guilty that I want to go there this weekend just to see if I can find the Van driver and thank him.
Just pass on the good done done to you to someone else in future. That way it gets passed and you will not feel guilty.

Pass it On
lambuhere1 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks