Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2015, 13:36   #241
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post

Bus driving filthy souls are same in every part of this unfortunate Country. Sorry for using such a language on the forum, but these bus drivers deserve it!!
It's not just the bus drivers. Truck and auto drivers are another lot. Although there are good drivers among them, such cases are always a rarity rather than a norm.

Another instance of road rage when I had to engage in a fist fight with a truck cleaner, literally! Again, I'm not proud of blurting it out here , but hey, I guess that's why we call it a confession.

This happened in my hometown, Perumbavoor, about 2 months back. Me and my folks were returning from Ernakulam in our Swift after a weekend outing. It was about 7PM. There is a 'court road' at Perumbavoor where a sharp climbing turn with some large potholes in the middle forces one to take a course through the extreme left side of the road. I did the same, and when I did, a huge 10 wheeled Bharat Benz truck decides to overtake me at that moment. The driver clearly miscalculated the maneuver because as the turn straightened, the rear portion of the truck came closer and closer to my car. There's a big wall at the left side of the road, so I couldn't move my car anymore to the left. I honked , flashed my lights and slammed the brakes but alas, the truck's huge rear tyre caught hold of our wheel well and stripped the right part of our front bumper off the car. Clearly infuriated, I got out, went to the driver's side and asked him why he overtook me on a curve. He was very apologetic and told that a vehicle coming from the opposite side forced him to close onto the left. Now enter the hero, the cleaner guy, who jumps out and shouts it's my fault as I was trying to overtake him through the left side. Heated words are exchanged and then he starts to insult me saying that when huge vehicles like his take the road, others should move out or else things like this would happen (of course adding in some filthy language to the mix)! To this, I gave a strong piece of my mind. He was taken aback and shoved me in the chest. The guy was crossing sane limits one by one and I just couldn't help not to retaliate. Gave a piece of my hand and the situation worsens. A cop appears and takes us both to the nearby station and asks us to settle it there. Expecting a neutral stand from the police was a big misconception as we soon find out that the cleaner secretly stashes Vitamin M into the cop's pocket. As the incident happened in our locality, we could make some calls to the necessary persons and soon the police was in our favor. We pressed for charges. Fortunately for us, the truck happened to have a late night commercial run to Hyderabad. If a case was filed, they would end up losing their trip and money. After much negotiations, they paid us Rs 5000/-.

From what I have garnered from such experiences, the basic mentality of these drivers are the same. It's like a psychological algorithm that is put into effect when the situation demands, the steps being :

1. Denial : 'Nope ! It's not my fault. It's all your fault!'

2. Aggression : 'How dare you accuse me of your wrong doing? I'll show you what I can do!'

3. Physical intimidation : 'Take this you....'

4. Garner local support : ' You see! Everyone's on my side!'

If one is lucky to have survived through all these and still stand their ground,

5. Zero balance negotiation : 'See! I don't have a single penny with me. What can I give?'

6. The human touch : ' My wife/daughter/son/sister/neighbor is in hospital! Please understand'

7. The settlement : A rare occurrence, but in the end, both parties are on the losing side.

I have been able to go through all these stages in this single incident, and I pray I don't have to ever again. We were lucky to have taught this guy a lesson, but that was only because it was in our backyard. Had it been somewhere else, the entire story might have been different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenmz View Post

True this.
@GKR9900, the hooliganism of the bus drivers extend from the Mannuthy jn till about Avinashi. Once all the lanes of the highway are open, I hope to drive in peace atleast from Coimbatore.
Once around Avinashi (This was when it was still a 2 -lane) a private bus was overtaking a SETC bus which in turn was overtaking a truck! I dont have any words to desctibe them in a public forum. I have to jump the car off the highway to save myself!
Have seen the horror so many times. Jumping off a cliff is much safer than sharing the roads with these maniacs!!

Had a trip to Palani about 4 months back. Deviated from Vadakkanchery and took the Pollachi- Udumalpet-Palani road. A stark contrast from the rage fuelled mallus, I must say! It was a pleasure driving through those roads. Well laid tarmac, really courteous bus drivers doing sane speeds, slow moving traffic moving out of the way with just a flash of the headlight. And some vast stretches of land on either side of the road. Was a very enjoyable experience!!
GKR9900 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th February 2015, 15:06   #242
Senior - BHPian

Re: Road rage confession

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKR9900 View Post

Had a trip to Palani about 4months back. Deviated from Vadakkanchery and took the Pollachi- Udumalpet-Palani road. A stark contrast from the rage fuelled mallus, I must say! It was a pleasure driving through those roads. Well laid tarmac, really courteous bus drivers doing sane speeds, slow moving traffic moving out of the way with just a flash of the headlight. And some vast stretches of land on either side of the road. Was a very enjoyable experience!!
The day I get retired and settle down in Kerala (hopefully) I would happily buy an Abrams or an Arjun tank if it were on sale . Not to scare others but to survive.
God help Kerala
Old 6th February 2015, 16:11   #243
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKR9900 View Post
It's not just the bus drivers. Truck and auto drivers are another lot. Although there are good drivers among them, such cases are always a rarity rather than a norm.
Another instance of road rage when I had to engage in a fist fight with a truck cleaner, literally! Again, I'm not proud of blurting it out here , but hey, I guess that's why we call it a confession.
Not just the truck drivers or cleaners (in fact, in all of my highway driving experience, I have found the truck drivers to be most disciplined and bus/private cars to be most rash), but tractors too, esp in rural set up. This is not a confession by any means, but I think I should share my experience.

The incident happened a few years back when I had parked my car at a small dhaba beside the road to confirm my route. And then a BAM! A tractor rear ends my Zen despite me being off-road and the LHS tail lamp and the hatch is destroyed. Most importantly, all of my folks are in the car. I make sure nobody is hurt and then walk to the tractor driver with a mixed feeling of disgust and anger.

My anger increases exponentially when I discover that the guy driving is underage and worse, he is drunk. To make matters even worse, he starts accusing me that I abruptly applied the brakes of my car and hence he rear ended me! I was shocked on his version as I was in the middle of a conversation with the people at dhaba confirming the road ahead, hence in no ways the tractor driver's version could have been true. That was all I could take for the moment and I climbed up to the tractor, got hold of his collar and gave him a tight slap. Immediately his version changed to 'bhaiya, brake kamzor hai tractor mein' (my brakes are weak, elder brother). I asked him to pay 10K for the repair. He says he has not any money as he is just a driver.

Lots of drama thereafter with the police involved. The tractor owner finally dished out 5K as damages from which I later repaired our car. Put in a couple of hundreds more and got an anti-rust treatment done too in the money.

Last edited by saket77 : 6th February 2015 at 16:14.
Old 23rd March 2015, 12:57   #244
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Abhi182, Just wanted to thank you for starting this thread. I think that Reading the experiences of fellow members, and posting our experiences here helps us become more aware of our rage. Becoming aware is a good step towards being able to control our urge to rage upon others - and hence do our bit to make the roads safer.

Reading this thread after my first post almost 8 years ago and find it rather embarrassing
It almost seems as if I don't even know the almost brash and near stupid guy who posted this confession..
I mean *** was i thinking racing against a bike on a narrow road

Over the years, I have become a far more sedate (and sane) driver and even though the power under the hood in my rides have gone up significantly, I suppose my average speeds have actually gone down
abhi182 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th May 2015, 10:13   #245
BHPian

All right - time for a road rage confession.

While driving to office, I take the Eastern Freeway joining it at the Shivaji Circle. There is a traffic light at the junction for cars going left to join the freeway which most people tend to skip if there is no traffic cop around or if others are ignoring it.

Well today it was the latter case and cars were just carrying along in complete ignorance of the red light! I decided to stop along with a few other cars at the red light. The red light is not for more than a minute but a private cab driver behind me just would not stop honking his horn. It set me off but I decided to let it go, moved my car ahead a little to let him pass. The cab driver - pulls alongside me, stops and starts giving me a piece of his mind! I could not hear what he was saying but waved him on.

The lights happened to turn green just then, and something in me just snapped. I got behind him and began to tail him and started to continuously blast my horn. He tried to move away but I stuck behind him and kept blaring my horn at him. Eventually, he came to almost a standstill at which point I pulled alongside him, rolled down my passenger window and let him have the choicest of expletives and lots of innuendos about the fact that he was a driver and old and will probably die driving a taxi for the rest for his miserable life - and then drove off!
Old 13th May 2015, 16:52   #246
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGNarain View Post

While driving to office, I take the Eastern Freeway joining it at the Shivaji Circle. There is a traffic light at the junction for cars going left to join the freeway which most people tend to skip if there is no traffic cop around or if others are ignoring it.

Well today it was the latter case and cars were just carrying along in complete ignorance of the red light! I decided to stop along with a few other cars at the red light. The red light is not for more than a minute but a private cab driver behind me just would not stop honking his horn. It set me off but I decided to let it go, moved my car ahead a little to let him pass. The cab driver - pulls alongside me, stops and starts giving me a piece of his mind! I could not hear what he was saying but waved him on.

The lights happened to turn green just then, and something in me just snapped. I got behind him and began to tail him and started to continuously blast my horn. He tried to move away but I stuck behind him and kept blaring my horn at him. Eventually, he came to almost a standstill at which point I pulled alongside him, rolled down my passenger window and let him have the choicest of expletives and lots of innuendos about the fact that he was a driver and old and will probably die driving a taxi for the rest for his miserable life - and then drove off!
I know exactly how you feel bro!
In Mumbai, these private cabs and taxis with their horns think they are the boss of the roads. I have lost my cool on them innumerable number of times, more often than not tailing them and honking every time they slow down by 1kmph. At least their mannerisms for most part is good and they give way on the move!
Heck even at red lights at busy junction you will always find that one guy who is honking as if his life depends on it! It is only a matter of time before I have a post here thanks to one of these clowns.
Noticed that the new Santro cabbies, and small cars are the worst. Just last night had a white eon purposely cutting me off on the NH8 near Vasai - not once but twice! I get everyone makes mistakes, but there is a thick (not thin) line between mistakes, and being a hinderance.
If things don't improve, the White Safari Storme dream (complete with bull bar, and thousands of bright flood lights) will be reality.
lamborghini is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th May 2015, 17:34   #247
BHPian

Quote:

I too an a daily commuter of the freeway & this behavior does tick me off as well. Specifically in areas like Elphinstone where even when the traffic police have stopped the lane, the "taxi wala's" will keep honking.

The only little peace I have is that after buying the Storme, the "taxi wala's" give u faster.

Plus further to piss them off, I shut down the car & completely turn off all the lights. Hinting not even a minor moment's going to happen till the green light.
Old 13th May 2015, 18:09   #248
Senior - BHPian

A question to those who confess to "Road rage" on Indian roads.
And question is only applicable for you only if you have travelled to other countries (preferably Europe/US/China).

Had you been in similar situation which provoked you to Road rage, but in the other country - had your reaction been the same?

Food for thought.

Last edited by DCEite : 13th May 2015 at 18:15.
Old 13th May 2015, 19:02   #249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
And question is only applicable for you only if you have travelled to other countries (preferably Europe/US/China).

Had you been in similar situation which provoked you to Road rage, but in the other country - had your reaction been the same?

Food for thought.
Sir, its not that there are no road-rage incidences in the countries you have mentioned. The internet is full of such videos.

To answer you query. If provoked, no Indian's reaction will be same as that it would have been in India. Reason - Its not our country and one is rather well off being away from legal tangles/getting into fights with citizens etc.

In fact, even those foreigners who would take out a baseball bat in the incident of a road rage in their country, they wouldn't dare to get into fight even with a rickshaw driver in India. There is always a fear of the unknown. The unknown law/ the unknown locals/ the unknown country, so it applies to US/China/UK citizens as much as it applies to Indians.

So any sane person would not get into road rage in a foreign country. Either us or they. Simply because: Apni gali mein kutta bhi sher hota hain!

-Bhargav

Last edited by Octane_Power : 13th May 2015 at 19:03.
Octane_Power is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th May 2015, 19:27   #250
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane_Power View Post
There is always a fear of the unknown.
Well, instead of fear of "unknown", i would rather call it fear of known.

Fear of knowing that in the other country you won't get away from the stringent laws if you dare to get physical in the middle of road.

Fear of knowing that in the other country sorting matters out amicably is the norm.

In India, we can get away with anything. Beating up people, murdering, throwing bricks at each other in the middle of roads.

But as soon we travel to another country, suddenly we become wise and peaceful.

Go figure.
DCEite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2015, 20:18   #251
Distinguished - BHPian

Road rage today. Kind of.

A UPSRTC bus is behind my car on NH58, air horn at full blast. I let him pass. He stops half a kilometre ahead to pick up passengers, and I move on ahead of him.

He's back on my rear bumper, the air horn almost making my head spin. I let him pass.

And the cycle repeats itself. At least 10 times. I am furious.

And he's back on my tail again. I stop. He stops. His air horn does not. I turn on my hazard lights.

I get out of the car, hands in the air... err... ears. Walk up to him.

Namaste bhaisaab. Mujhe bacha lo. Aap ka horn itna achchha hai, ki main gaadi nahi chala paa raha hoon. Steering pakadne ke vajai haath kaan mein rakhna padh raha hai. Kahin meri accident na ho jaay. (Please save me. Your horn is so good, I am unable to drive - I need to guard my ears instead of placing my hands on the steering. I might end up having an accident.)

The middle-agd driver breaks into a broad smile. Achchha, chalo, chalo! (Okay, let's move on).

He does not honk subsequently till he turns right towards Anand Vihar and I carry on straight towards Ghazipur.
SS-Traveller is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 13th May 2015, 20:43   #252
BANNED

I don't know if this qualifies for road rage or not but here is what happened.

I was driving in the Ertiga and at Dwarka Sector 1 redlight, I stopped for the red light. I was going little slowly and it had turned amber so I thought just to come to a stop calmly and wait for the light to turn green. A lady in a Ritz was behind me desperately trying to cross the light in amber only. My car was in the way so she could not. A truck was on the middle lane so she could not overtake me. She was furious and starting honking like crazy (when cars had already stopped) and even came out to tell me how much of an idiot and stupid person I was for not crossing an intersection with amber lights and that I do not deserve to drive and should be sitting at home. She kept honking the whole time and suddenly it just snapped.

As soon as it turned green, I let her pass and just stuck behind her back bumper and just constantly honked till half of the dwarka flyover. She started to drive away fast and all it needed was to stomp on the accelerator harder and I was back on her tail and just honking. At the Delhi cantt red light, her window was open and she showed me the middle finger and I just said well aunty maybe you are just deprived of that hence acting like this and drove away...

Later, I thought there are lots of idiots on the roads and maybe I took it too far. Maybe I should have not done it.
Old 13th May 2015, 21:43   #253
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kisharchit View Post
she showed me the middle finger and I just said well aunty maybe you are just deprived of that hence acting like this and drove away...

Dear Brother.

As per inferential astrology, a certain gender's chart is not in favorable position especially in and around the Capital region.

Luck was on your side, for i think there wasn't any construction site in the area where it happened.

Nevertheless we cannot rule out flying debris in the near future, as now the empowerment was well received in the political quarters. The rolled up windows ensures that it won't hurt us, but it still hurts to receive dents on our precious possessions.

Next time turn up the ICE volume and pretend as if you didn't see/hear anything when she gives that dirty look.
ramzsys is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th May 2015, 16:24   #254
BHPian

Quote:

While driving to office, I take the Eastern Freeway joining it at the Shivaji Circle. There is a traffic...
...and lots of innuendos about the fact that he was a driver and old and will probably die driving a taxi for the rest for his miserable life - and then drove off!
Well, I've been in this situation myself. Jam packed traffic, no where to move. Taxi wala behind me doesn't stop honking. I moved a little ahead, and he pulled up beside me and started yelling abuses at me in kanada (it was in Bangalore). I rolled down my window intending to yell back, but somehow, the words that came out of my mouth were "Anna! Inge anna panre? Paathittu romba naalu aayidichu! Saukyama? Veetil ellarum saukyama?" (Brother! What are you doing here! Been a long time since I saw you! How are you? Is everyone at home doing good?)

To this the guy stopped yelling, gave me a salute and drove away!

I had a hearty laugh at the incident and moved ahead with my life
DDiSLover is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 17th May 2015, 17:36   #255
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDiSLover View Post
Well, I've been in this situation myself. Jam packed traffic, no where to move. Taxi wala behind me doesn't stop honking. I moved a little ahead, and he pulled up beside me and started yelling abuses at me in kanada (it was in Bangalore). I rolled down my window intending to yell back, but somehow, the words that came out of my mouth were "Anna! Inge anna panre? Paathittu romba naalu aayidichu! Saukyama? Veetil ellarum saukyama?" (Brother! What are you doing here! Been a long time since I saw you! How are you? Is everyone at home doing good?)

To this the guy stopped yelling, gave me a salute and drove away!

I had a hearty laugh at the incident and moved ahead with my life
Thank god you are not one of those here who would brag about how they gave the other party a piece of their mind, beat him up and how they yelled and shouted in the middle of the roads and how their over-infalated ego got soothed by narrating(no, confessing) the incident to Team-BHPIans.

Your reaction was wonderful and i hope everyone who reads this takes this as a lesson, in dealing with typical situations which trigger anger and road rage.

Last edited by DCEite : 17th May 2015 at 17:40.
DCEite is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed