Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2015, 20:49   #316
BHPian

Re: Road rage confession

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutralgrey View Post
I would like to bring to your notice that the technique you follow to cross the road is wrong. Ideally, you would have to stop on the left of the road. Turn on your indicator, look for a gap on both sides and then cross.
Were you referring to the practical way of doing this Neutralgrey?

The rules on the Karnataka RTO website seem to suggest GeneralJazz was in the right (no pun intended ) to try and turn the way he did.

http://rto.kar.nic.in/roadsafetycss.html

Turning to the Left and Right:

The driver of a motor vehicle shall:

When turning to the right draw as near as near as may be to the centre of the road which the driver is entering.
nambiarshreyas is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st September 2015, 21:15   #317
BHPian

My blood boils when I see bikers riding on footpaths. So this one time, I was walking with my wife on the footpath near Hoodi signal in Bangalore. There was a queue of bikers behind me honking so I move out of the way. What audacity these guys have!! Honking at a pedestrian on the footpath. So what I do is I hold my wife's hand and we walk in such a way that they cannot go ahead of me until the footpath ends. The kept honking but I stood my ground. I got some pleasure out of this. Don't know if this qualifies as road rage but I felt good about it. Not sorry one bit. I also plan to some day scare such a biker on the footpath by suddenly moving so he falls off the bike losing control. Would be a lesson.
rohanak1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st September 2015, 21:41   #318
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanak1 View Post
My blood boils when I see bikers riding on footpaths.
I feel the same. I get very annoyed, when the two wheelers ride on foot path and have the audacity to honk at pedestrians. You can take a photo of these two wheeler guys riding on the foot path and send it to Bangalore police commissioner through whatsapp or twitter. I believe they will take appropriate action.
Old 21st September 2015, 22:14   #319
BHPian

The recent confessions are quite scary. Especially the throwing of helmets by bikers on other's car bonnet or windscreen. Must be traumatizing for the receiving party.
Does rage does that to you that you start throwing whatever is in your hand?
Good that car drivers doesn't have to wear helmets otherwise there'd be broken helmets and fallen bikers all over. Both attacking on each other.

Keep calm guys!! Control the anger. It hasn't brought harmony to anyone.

Peace.
Sherlocked is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st September 2015, 23:00   #320
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnarayang View Post
send it to Bangalore police commissioner through whatsapp or twitter. I believe they will take appropriate action.
All they would do is raise a violation and issue a notice to pay the fine to the biker. But he would not even know that he has to pay a penalty and continue with his ways. There have been vehicles with hundreds of violations. This would be another one and they would be least bothered.
Old 22nd September 2015, 00:46   #321
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swapnil4585 View Post
I can not allow myself to bear the deliberate wrongs of others, at times. I do not get upset or angry by seeing bikers squeeze small gaps between bigger vehicles and ending up with scratches on the bumpers, or auto rickshaws braking anywhere on the road in search of customers, or hawkers encroaching roads/footpaths etc, causing hindrance to the otherwise smooth flowing traffic. These instances though connote lawlessness, they don't bother me much. However on that day, the water splashing was easily avoidable. The rest of the traffic was crawling slowly and carefully. These guys, just for their fun rode through the puddle and did a splash, and that made me angry.

In my earlier post, I said that if I encounter any such (any such = somebody deliberately splashing water for no apparent reason) incident, I will first deal with it, and then approach the law. I agree that this statement was uncalled for and it was completely wrong. I cannot be in a stronger position always, which I'm well aware of. However the connections that I speak of, are not to trouble somebody unnecessarily. I'd put them to use to bring a wrong to justice. And I don't see anything disturbing in it.
Swapnil,

While your intentions are extrmely noble, please don't be the real life equivalent of Dabang's Chulbul Pandey + Arnab Goswami + hulk rolled into one i.e judge, jury, avenger and executioner.

In the real world, we ideally report things to police or simply prevent madness, not turn violent. Once violence starts for any reason, the outcome is about as preditcable as a Sehwag innings.
phamilyman is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2015, 08:44   #322
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralJazz View Post
This happened 3 weeks ago. I was on my bike, returning from office through heavy traffic. My place is on the opposite side, so I turn on my indicators about 300 meters ahead, as I always do, and slow down towards the center of the road, looking for a gap to cross. Cars behind me were overtaking from the left, as it was apparent I was going to cross.
The first thing that comes to my mind is where were you going exactly ?
Apologies if I didn't understand your post correctly.

"place is on the opposite side" - You mean to the right side of the road ?
"turn on my indicators about 300 meters ahead" - Which side ? Left or Right ? I guess Right, since your house is on the right side.
"looking for a gap to cross" - Gap in the flow of vehicles from the opposite lane ?

Was this a divided road (median) or undivided ?

Like someone else said, it wasn't wise to stop / slow down in the middle lane. If you are turning right, and have already given indicator about 300 mts ahead of your intended turn, you should drift to the right lane and stop to take your right turn.

I, as a car driver get very p****d off with 2 wheelers who drive / slow down in the centre lane.

You probably did not understand the situation of the i10 guy.
Let me tell you about it, since I have been in such a situation and what I feel if I were in the i10 driver's seat.

The i10 guy feels that you have forgotten to switch off your indicator and merrily riding the 2 wheeler in the middle of the road (very obvious for most of the two wheeler riders, except a few like you and me).
He logically tries to overtake you from the right, accidentally bumps into your handlebar, because you turn to the right all of a sudden, from the centre lane.
He didn't roll down the windows, of course because you could be anybody. What if in the heat of the moment, you bumped your helmet to his face ?

I have a dashcam and would have possibly reported your centre driving, with right indicators, and the helmet bumping act to the cops.

All said and done, please be careful. Not all you think can be logical and as per the written law. You have to be practical and make on the spot decisions, ofcourse with a cool head.

PS: What is with bikers throwing their helmets into 4 wheelers ? Saw some recent posts about the same. Well, I have been bumped by 4 wheelers too, never bumped a helmet into their rides. Please don't damage properties in a heat of moment.

Keep calm and say a slang or two.
Soumyajit9 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2015, 10:40   #323
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
The first thing that comes to my mind is where were you going exactly ?
Apologies if I didn't understand your post correctly.

"place is on the opposite side" - You mean to the right side of the road ?
"turn on my indicators about 300 meters ahead" - Which side ? Left or Right ? I guess Right, since your house is on the right side.
"looking for a gap to cross" - Gap in the flow of vehicles from the opposite lane ?

Was this a divided road (median) or undivided ?
Yes, I was turning to the right.
Right indicators obviously. Who puts on the left indicator to turn right?
Yes, I was looking for a gap in the opposite lane. It is a two lane road and traffic is not much better than bumper to bumper.

Quote:
Like someone else said, it wasn't wise to stop / slow down in the middle lane. If you are turning right, and have already given indicator about 300 mts ahead of your intended turn, you should drift to the right lane and stop to take your right turn.
There is no centre lane. I stopped towards the line between the lanes. There is no way to drift into the right lane as traffic usually crawls. Plus there is zero shoulder on either side to cross at the first opportunity and drift towards any side road.

Quote:
I, as a car driver get very p****d off with 2 wheelers who drive / slow down in the centre lane.
Not just bikes, cars, autos, even lorries are forced to do this as there are no junctions in the area. The 5km stretch of road, heavily congested, is single lane(one for each direction).

Quote:
You probably did not understand the situation of the i10 guy.
Let me tell you about it, since I have been in such a situation and what I feel if I were in the i10 driver's seat.
There was a car overtaking me without any trouble from my left. The i10 guy tries to get in front of the other car by trying to overtake from my right.

Quote:
The i10 guy feels that you have forgotten to switch off your indicator and merrily riding the 2 wheeler in the middle of the road (very obvious for most of the two wheeler riders, except a few like you and me).
He logically tries to overtake you from the right, accidentally bumps into your handlebar, because you turn to the right all of a sudden, from the centre lane.
I know it sounds logical, but thats not the way it is in this area. I stopped my bike competely, had already angled by handlebars and there is no doubt that I was planning on crossing. The i10 guy simply wanted to get infront of the other car. I know this because I used to drive to work. I've seen this before. The only reason I take a bike now is because of the maddening traffic.

Quote:
He didn't roll down the windows, of course because you could be anybody. What if in the heat of the moment, you bumped your helmet to his face ?

I have a dashcam and would have possibly reported your centre driving, with right indicators, and the helmet bumping act to the cops.
He knocked me down and tried didnt even stop to check on me. And if he did have a dashcam, I am more than happy to get that video as I will be reporting him first as a hit and run. Note that neither did he stop after hitting me, nor after me denting his bonnet.

Quote:
PS: What is with bikers throwing their helmets into 4 wheelers ? Saw some recent posts about the same. Well, I have been bumped by 4 wheelers too, never bumped a helmet into their rides. Please don't damage properties in a heat of moment.

Keep calm and say a slang or two.
He could have knocked me down in front of an oncoming car, or god forbid, a lorry. What about damage to my bike?

Anyway thanks for going through my post. Hope this clears everything up.
PS: After spending so much time in north India, the first slangs that come to me are in hindi, not very useful in Kerala!
GeneralJazz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2015, 12:11   #324
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlocked View Post
The recent confessions are quite scary. Especially the throwing of helmets by bikers on other's car bonnet or windscreen. Must be traumatizing for the receiving party.
Does rage does that to you that you start throwing whatever is in your hand?
Good that car drivers doesn't have to wear helmets otherwise there'd be broken helmets and fallen bikers all over. Both attacking on each other.

Keep calm guys!! Control the anger. It hasn't brought harmony to anyone.

Peace.
It may have been traumatizing for him. But if you knock someone down, a pedestrian or a biker, no matter whose fault it is, shouldnt you have the courtesy to stop your car and check on him. I have stopped many times to check on a fallen biker never once having hit one. Maybe I was wrong in expecting the same courtesy as a biker.

I agree people should not resort to throwing stuff at each other. But just imagine, someone knocks you down in a hurry, you catch up to him and then he starts yelling at you to get out of the way! You need some serious inner peace to stay calm in that situation.
GeneralJazz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2015, 13:12   #325
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Anyway thanks for going through my post. Hope this clears everything up.
Clears up, except for the helmet throwing thing. Not good mate. Nothing can justify that act.
What to do then ?, Read below.

Quote:
PS: After spending so much time in north India, the first slangs that come to me are in hindi, not very useful in Kerala!
Time to get some good Keralite friends for Knowledge Transfer of Beeps Beeps
Soumyajit9 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2015, 15:35   #326
BHPian

Quote:
I agree people should not resort to throwing stuff at each other. But just imagine, someone knocks you down in a hurry, you catch up to him and then he starts yelling at you to get out of the way! You need some serious inner peace to stay calm in that situation.
To begin with, I have been 'wronged' one too many times. By bikers jumping signals, by bikers crossing the median to get a 'short-cut', by cars driving down the wrong way just to get a little ahead.
So, General, frankly, what did you get by slamming your helmet on the bonnet?
Your nice helmet got damaged
The i10 bonnet got damaged
Did the driver really learn anything?
Was the cost of the new helmet worth the momentary pleasure?
Will it really make the driver learn the traffic rules or driving etiquettes?
You do not know if the driver was 'mentally unstable' and whip out a rod/etc and assault you (or get his not so popular friends and try to get even).
The possibilities are numerous.All for the sake of getting even.
An eye for an eye will definitely make us all blind.
We are not morally obliged to teach every soul on the road a lesson in traffic sense. That role is that of the Traffic Police/Administration.
If you have been wronged, report it. Otherwise, you become a violator yourself as your antic would then end up blocking other commuters on the road.
Would you have pulled the antic if there was a wailing ambulance held up behind the i10?
aqualeo2040 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2015, 16:32   #327
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualeo2040 View Post
To begin with, I have been 'wronged' one too many times. By bikers jumping signals, by bikers crossing the median to get a 'short-cut', by cars driving down the wrong way just to get a little ahead.
So, General, frankly, what did you get by slamming your helmet on the bonnet?
There is a limit to anyone's patience. Not justifying my actions here, but it was more than I could take at that time. Its wasnt enought that he hit me, when I tried to talk to him he started honking.

Quote:
Your nice helmet got damaged
The i10 bonnet got damaged
My helmet barely got scratched. Original Steelbird!
Yeah the i10 bonnet got damaged. The edge of my handlebar should have left a scratch on his rear left door. That my fault too?
Quote:
Did the driver really learn anything?
Sure hope he did! Atleast now he should know that he shouldnt overtake carelessly. By gods grace, I was able to hold my bike just in time. What if some other biker was knocked onto oncoming traffic? He should think of such things while driving a car.

Quote:
Will it really make the driver learn the traffic rules or driving etiquettes?
You do not know if the driver was 'mentally unstable' and whip out a rod/etc and assault you (or get his not so popular friends and try to get even).
The other bikers and some locals too were yelling at him. If he was mentally unstable, he should be in an asylum, not behind wheels.

Quote:
The possibilities are numerous.All for the sake of getting even.
An eye for an eye will definitely make us all blind.
We are not morally obliged to teach every soul on the road a lesson in traffic sense.
No we arent. Neither are we supposed to put others in harms way just to save a second or two. If he had atleast rolled down his windows and asked me if I was ok, I would have just told him to be more careful, possibly a few beeps beeps as Soumyajit9 put it.

Quote:
That role is that of the Traffic Police/Administration.
If you have been wronged, report it. Otherwise, you become a violator yourself as your antic would then end up blocking other commuters on the road.
If I had reported it, would it have mattered. When police turns a blind eye towards overspeeding, wrong way driving, jumping signals, who would give a damn about a sideswipe?

Quote:
Would you have pulled the antic if there was a wailing ambulance held up behind the i10?
God NO! Why make this assumption here? I always give way to an ambulance, in a car or bike.

See my point here is not to justify what I did. This was a clear example of hit and run. As I said in my original post, the driver neither stopped after hitting me, nor pulled to the side after the altercation. He just kept honking all the time.

While I'm not defending what I did, its plain wrong to assume that the car driver was right. I shudder to think what would have happened if there was some heavy vehicle in the oncoming lane. I would have been seriously injured. Just a week ago, a girl on a scooter was killed about 3kms from the spot where this happened, in the same way. She was hit from the side, onto an oncoming tanker. She died instantly. If that was the case, the locals probably would have smashed up his car. Can we go and advice the mob that what they're doing is wrong? These are the things that we do on an impulse, things we're not proud of. Thats why the thread is titled Road rage confessions.
GeneralJazz is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2015, 19:01   #328
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Your helmet took a hit. Lack of visible damage does not mean it is ok. It is a generally accepted wisdom to replace your helmet after a crash, even if it "looks" ok.

Quote:
By gods grace, I was able to hold my bike just in time. What if some other biker was knocked onto oncoming traffic? He should think of such things while driving a car.

See my point here is not to justify what I did. This was a clear example of hit and run. As I said in my original post, the driver neither stopped after hitting me, nor pulled to the side after the altercation. He just kept honking all the time.

I shudder to think what would have happened if there was some heavy vehicle in the oncoming lane. I would have been seriously injured.
Lot of what ifs. Maybe the driver would have stopped to check on you had you actually fallen down. From his point, you were not physically hurt but mentally upset. Right now he would be thinking it was a good decision that he did not get out of the car otherwise you would have probably thrown the helmet at him instead of the car!! So, no my friend. You did not teach him any lesson, instead you just prevented another person from ever getting out to help anyone.
amitoj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2015, 20:04   #329
BHPian

Quote:
See my point here is not to justify what I did.
While I'm not defending what I did, its plain wrong to assume that the car driver was right.
These are the things that we do on an impulse, things we're not proud of. Thats why the thread is titled Road rage confessions.
General, I've been reading all your posts about the incident that happened due to the i10 driver's mistake basically. It reinforces my belief which I have posted earlier in this thread. People are in a hurry because they somehow start late due to which they have to hurry. And in the hurry they commit mistakes for which others have to pay or suffer unnecessarily, just like you were endangered. What you did in response, anyone would've done something likewise. I would call it is an angry response rather than an insane act done in rage. Had that i10 driver initiated any legal action against your actions of hitting his bonnet on the basis of his dashcam recordings, you were ready to file a counter case of your own against his rash driving. This can not at all be called as an act done in rage. This is well justified case of anger.
Swapnil4585 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2015, 21:19   #330
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Your helmet took a hit. Lack of visible damage does not mean it is ok. It is a generally accepted wisdom to replace your helmet after a crash, even if it "looks" ok.
+1

http://www.doversaddlery.com/helmet-...and-use/a/444/

Replace your helmet after a fall in which it touches the ground, even if it appears undamaged. Helmets are constructed so that the energy of an impact may be absorbed through partial destruction of the helmet. You may not be able to see interior damage that occurred through trauma. Many helmet manufacturers have crash helmet replacement policies that offer you a reduction in cost for a new helmet depending on the age of yours at the time of the incident. Refer to the warranty information that accompanies your particular helmet to determine whether a crash replacement policy exists.

At a minimum, you should also replace your helmet when it turns five years old. Over time, aging helmet materials may degrade from body heat and use, and therefore may not provide the same level of protection as a new helmet would, even with proper helmet care. Additionally, helmet manufacturers are always researching technological improvements that may increase the protective qualities of their helmets- you don't want to miss out on these advances.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed