Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2015, 11:38   #361
BHPian

One more incident to share. It happened in December last year, when I was new on the wheel (had been only 4 months with a licence).

I was driving with 2 childhood friends (A and B) to Meerut (from Faridabad) and we had decided that A would drive to Meerut and I will drive on the way back. On the way to Meerut, everything was smooth and I (and B) went to Faridabad from Delhi (A lives in Faridabad) and picked him from his house. We reached Meerut on time with minimum problems on the way. Dropped B at his cousin's place in Meerut and were scheduled to leave Meerut by 5.30 PM, as it was pretty dark by 6 PM during those cold days.

On the way back, we were only 2 in the car and were listening to some soothing music tracks with the windows rolled up. We encountered a small traffic jam (due to a junction where half of the traffic was taking a U Turn and the other half was busy honking) and it was then, that an Auto driver informed me that my front left tyre was flat. I pulled down to the side and found a 1.5-2 inch nail in the tyre. It is around 6.15 PM by this time and darkness had started to creep in.

We decided to change the tyre and were almost done by 6.30 PM (as A was helping me in the process), that we had the first encounter with a crazy Safari guy! The traffic was moving slow and passing from the right side of our car (parked on the left-most corner of the tarmac stretch), though some restless bikers were zooming past from the left side also. This guy comes blasting those trembling pressure horns and 3 blinding pairs of HIDs from the left-most part of the road (which no-one was using as my car was parked with hazard lights ON) and had to stop as there was no space for him to pass. I could not see anything from the front windshield, and thought it to be because of the time (and darkness). This fellow starts honking and flashing to let him go, but I signal from hands that I am changing the tyre and cannot move the car. Though the tyre was changed and the only thing left was to keep the jack and flat tyre in the boot, we took our own sweet time and finished the job in another 15 minutes to trouble the Safari guy! Look how mischievous I was in my early driving days. Till this time, the Safari guy trying to find a gap in the next lane to merge, but the 'UP' (Uttar Pradesh) drivers were not letting him move even a bit. I assume that he was boiling with anger as we took ample time and made him wait for so long. He was even honking at 2-3 minute intervals to let him go, to which I signalled him to merge into the next lane and move on!

Almost 6.45 PM and we start heading to Faridabad. The Safari guy is tailing us for some 4-5 odd kms and then gets stuck in traffic. Soon after, we encountered another traffic jam and this seemed to be a tighter and longer one. We move to the right-most lane (there was a divider on the right and meat shops on the extreme left) and start crawling at snail's pace, or even slower. I thought I saw that Safari guy in my ORVM, cutting lanes and moving ahead, and told my friend who confirmed the same. He had 2 halogens on high beam, 2 aux lamps almost at 90° angle from the car (aiming straight ahead on the cars) and blue/green HIDs on another set of reflectors in his bull bar - a total monster for the traffic. In a matter of minutes, he was adjacent to my car (a poor little Swift Diesel) and rolls down his window, pulls out his hand laden with gold kada (don't know its English version) and signals me to stop. I don't. He tries to move into my lane but I don't let him do so. Soon after this thing (time was around 7.20 PM and it was completely dark), he stops his car in his lane (2nd from the right), flungs the door open, comes out and takes out a thick 3 foot wooden bat (rod kind-of) from the rear seat and comes to my passenger side window. Starts abusing, tells me to pull down the window but I do not, and kept talking to my friend. But, let me first describe his (and his car's) appearance in detail. This guy has dark black tints (tints were banned at that time), wrapped taillamps, big bull bars, fat tyres and a large "SARPANCH JI" sticker, accompanied by smaller "POLICE" "ARMY" and lots of political party posters. He himself was dressed in a full black kurta, lots of gold chains and stuff hanging in the neck - typical "goon" like appearance. I decided to flee as this was not a "talk first, punch next" party but a "punch first, shoot next" type! Till around 5-10 minutes, this guy is yelling, punching at the window, trying to open the door but we didn't give any attention - totally ignored him. This, I think, made him more angry and he hits my ORVM from the top with his rod and breaks it. This very moment, I make my mind to flee away from the spot but I didn't have space as the Safari's doors were wide-open in front, blocking my way. This guy starts moving behind the car and his the rear hatch (or rather the rear 3 Quarter) with all his strength. I floor the accelerator and he throws the rod onto my car from behind, shattering my rear glass. I hit the Safari's door at the edge and escape. Everyone was watching, not a single soul came forward.

I was shaken and was terrified as my friend asked me to hurry up and reach Faridabad, where we can feel safer as the law and order scene is better than UP's. This was my first encounter of this kind and I was literally about to cry. Kept the speeds above 60 kmph, negotiating all gaps between bikes and cars, hitting ORVMs, going off the road, but escaping. I could see the Safari guy again in my ORVM and took the wrong step. My friend decided to fool him by letting him come closer to the car, and I will make a sudden U Turn (from a gap in the divider) and find an alternate way. Time was around 8.30 PM and we decided to head back from where we had came by taking a U Turn. As I was about to complete the turn, this guy bangs from behind (intentionally) and tries a U Turn too. I again floor the pedal and move ahead of him - he was unable to make the turn on time, I confirmed from the ORVM. An Auto driver saw all this (hitting, running) and told me to call the Police. His words were - "Call the Police, son. This is UP and if he is a resident of a nearby area, he won't let you go." I reach out for my phone and call 100. For the first few tries, there was no response. The chase was on, the Safari guy was tailing closely but was held by traffic at times, and finally the Police responded. They took another 5-10 minutes to hand over the call to the concerned person. We didn't knew out exact location, so the Police simply told us to let them know their location so that they can report the concerned area's Police team. I cursed the UP Police and decided to escape myself. What I did next was -

Turn off the headlights, switch to high beam (by pulling the stalk). This didn't light up the rear lights or the number plate lights - which wouldn't allow them to read my number easily, still allowing me to drive with the high beam. Thing to be kept in mind.

I found a Swift, similar to mine (White Swift, 3D Number plate, Spoiler, Debadged), on the way and here comes another idea - fool the Safari guy and make him think that we are in the other Swift. We immediately cut behind a truck and keep moving alongside it. The Safari guy moves forward and starts the chase with the other Swift. Movie style. Took a U Turn and stopped at a Petrol Pump after reaching Faridabad at around 11.30 PM. Quite strange but Petrol Pump felt safer to both of us than a Police Station at that time! The rear bumper, hatch lid, left rear fender, right rear fender, rear glass, left ORVM, front fender and headlight had to be replaced! Reached home late at night and told the parents that there was a riot in Meerut and people damaged the car when it was parked.

Typical case of revenge I think. Wonder what would have happened to the other Swift!
vin11 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th September 2015, 13:44   #362
BHPian

Re: Road rage confession

Quote:
Originally Posted by vin11 View Post
and signals me to stop. I don't. He tries to move into my lane but I don't let him do so. Soon after this thing (time was around 7.20 PM and it was completely dark), he stops his car in his lane (2nd from the right), flungs the door open, comes out and takes out a thick 3 foot wooden bat (rod kind-of) from the rear seat and comes to my passenger side window. Starts abusing, tells me to pull down the window but I do not, and kept talking to my friend.
You were changing your car's tyre on the leftmost lane. May be, you should've driven a further outside of the tarmac if it was possible, and then change it. But anyways, it is not your fault that the tyre was punctured. When the Safari guy came honking and flashing from your left, you should've walked up to him and tell him cleanly that you are changing a punctured tyre and that you are a newbie in it. May be, he himself would have helped you and the further incidents would not have happened. When it is apparent from the situation that the person is supposedly a goon, talk it out bravely yet politely. In any case, when your position is correct, you should not be afraid of anything.
Old 26th September 2015, 13:58   #363
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vin11 View Post
Wonder what would have happened to the other Swift!
Nothing.

Neither that Swift's ORVM was broken nor its rear hatch door glass.

If you would have stepped out and said sorry, I believe that would have been enough to sooth him. You invited his rage knowingly.
Sheel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th September 2015, 20:03   #364
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swapnil4585 View Post
You were changing your car's tyre on the leftmost lane. May be, you should've driven a further outside of the tarmac if it was possible, and then change it.
So I had enough free time to make this sketch to depict the situation. The picture shows traffic (on our side) crawling, my car is in White, the Safari is in Red, the yellow lines are the road markings, pink lines are the bikers and 2 wheelers (squeezing from the gaps). The green patch is trees and bushes and the light grey line depicts the point where the tarmac ends and there is sand.

Road rage confession-1443277126686.jpg

The Safari driver thought of overtaking all the traffic in a jiffy and was driving off the road (as I understand, as the road is only 2 lane and where I had parked my car is supposedly off-the-road). Maybe he would have been doing this everyday but this time, my car blocked him. My bad, I didn't get the correct word, actually it was not a lane (2 lanes are shown in the pic) and I suppose I had parked correct (though changing tyre with 2 wheels on sand wasn't a good idea either).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swapnil4585 View Post
When the Safari guy came honking and flashing from your left, you should've walked up to him and tell him cleanly that you are changing a punctured tyre and that you are a newbie in it. May be, he himself would have helped you and the further incidents would not have happened. When it is apparent from the situation that the person is supposedly a goon, talk it out bravely yet politely. In any case, when your position is correct, you should not be afraid of anything.
I agree, it was my mistake. I thought it was enough to signal him from hand (that I was changing my tyre and cannot move the car) as I had almost finished changing the tyre (new tyre was in, just the jack and flat tyre had to be put in the boot). Believe me, if I had known before hand of his "goon" appearance and attitude, I would have myself helped him merge onto the next lane and continue.

At that time, things going on in my mind were "He is driving off the road, let him wait" "I am not at fault. Let him honk and flash" "He should have tried to merge before hand instead of coming straight ahead and asking me to move a punctured car" "Stupid guy, thinks he owns the road if he has a bigger car".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Nothing.

If you would have stepped out and said sorry, I believe that would have been enough to sooth him. You invited his rage knowingly.
I could not understand my fault here. I would have said sorry for what? For not letting him cut in my lane?

To be frank, I didn't have the courage to get off the car to talk to a (supposedly) "goon", 6 ft easily, good physique, bursting with anger at me and having more-than-an-inch thick wooden bat (rod) in his hand. Moreover, this place was fairly new and I wasn't used to driving in UP, maybe that person had a gun, or a knife! Possibilities are endless. In such cases, I prefer staying safe inside my car rather than going in front of angry people, with weapons.

I didn't have any single thing in the car to defend and protect myself, except that gear lock knob!

Last edited by vin11 : 26th September 2015 at 20:05.
vin11 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2015, 17:56   #365
BHPian

Sitting at the waiting lounge of our gynaecologist (wife expecting our 2nd child) Today evening I remember an incident 8 years ago when our first child (son) was about to be born, wife was expected to go into labour within weeks time, we had come to see doc and afterwards went to buy some medicine.

I parked the car in front of the shop (very busy locality) behind a blue Wagon R while wife remained inside the car(front passenger seat). I was expecting to rush back within a min or two, just when I was about to pay the money, driver in the Wagon R, middle aged man >50 years old, I guess, started honking, I signaled him to wait for 2mins as I was just finished and continued with the payment.

Then the most horrific thing happened, i heard screams of my wife, turned and saw the door of my car opened, wife hanging to it and trying to jump out the car while screaming. What the old man had done was, reversed his car, hit my car in front and still kept on reversing (with my wife in the front seat), basically trying to drag my car out of his way.

I jumped out of the shop, went to his car, grabbed old man from his collar and gave a hard right punch on his chin (I am proud that I did it.. Even today) before I could do any further damage, we were surrounded by a big crowd, with people grabbing me and trying to get me away from that man and when the adrenaline had subsided I heard the old man shouting to the crowd 'I am a SSP, I am a SSP' Every one in the crowd, including me, went mum, expecting, that I am going IN for a long long time, just then a constable (trying to please his boss) jumped in.

Constable: Hey you, let's go to the police station, taking the situation into consideration, I thought, there is no option so politely agreed. Meanwhile In all this commotion, I had forgot to ask my wife, was she OK? But looking at the anger and rage with which she was screaming at the crowd as well as the old man, I safely presumed, she's fine. Constable took us straight to the SHO's room and apprised him about what happened. old man started shouting, ' this sardar has punched me, tore off my shirt, arrest him, arrest him now', my wife was equal to the tasked, she shouted about what the old man had did, SHO politely told my wife to have a seat and glass of water(wife was carrying a huge baby bump) and questioned the old man, sir you are posted in which dept?

Person replied, I am SSP in excise dept.
Me: huge sigh of relief(who cares for a excise officer).
Wife had already called her dad (posted as SP in IB) and told him every thing, after knowing the name and dept of the old man she immediately called her dad and gave the details of that person, excise dept office was adjacent to the IB office so dad immediately called his superior and they both afterwards called old man's superior (from excise dept) and within 5mins, old man got a call (from his boss, i guess) and after that he asked the SHO to leave the matter then and there.

We came out of the police station, old man still grumbling from what had happened, kept on foul mouthing but my wife was equal to the task and gave back handful to a point that I had to intervene. Old man went his way, we came back home and in the evening had a nice laugh with dad (in law) about the incident. Moral of the story, patience is not absolute but a limited resource, if any body thinks he is supercool, wait for a horrific incident which can turn you into a monster.

Mod note: Post edited for para spacing and spellings.
Also please note that Team-BHP maintains a strong stand against drinking and driving, and any mention of alcohol. Hence, posts containing ANY alcohol content (in text or pictures, directly or indirectly) will NOT be permitted.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 28th September 2015 at 18:48.
amit_snk is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th September 2015, 20:41   #366
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_snk View Post
Sitti----snip------html"]Forum Rules[/url] before proceeding any further.
You showed restraint there. It's against the spirit of the thread, but this man would have gotten much worse at most people's hands here.
mayankk is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2015, 00:18   #367
BHPian

After going through the posts I get reminded of this " In India we consider anybody driving slower than us a Moron and anybody faster a Maniac". There have been many instances of road rage culminating in shootouts and deaths, IMO not worth it. Takes a lot of resolve to gulp your anger and smile at morons & maniacs on the road but then it at least ensures that I live to drive another day.
RajeVenu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2015, 00:42   #368
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nothing.

Curious what makes you so confident in this matter without a first hand observation?

Most such stories where someone steps out to talk (like the humyum instance or the other biker getting beaten up by goon taking U turn in car) results in them getting beaten black and blue.

What I think he could've done was what vin11 himself says:
"Believe me, if I had known before hand of his "goon" appearance and attitude, I would have myself helped him merge onto the next lane (with an apologetic smile) and continue."

Once things turned ugly - the only thing left was to escape.
Old 30th September 2015, 08:41   #369
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Curious what makes you so confident in this matter without a first hand observation?
Being polite & accepting/acknowledging your mistake works always.

People are neither a saint there nor here & my work profile introduces me to people of various strata of society having all sorts of background.

Almost everyone, appreciates when one acknowledges one's mistake.

The goon got furious because it was apparent, he was knowingly being held up. At least I would have shouted/screamed had someone held me knowingly for 15 mins.

Quote:
Though the tyre was changed and the only thing left was to keep the jack and flat tyre in the boot, we took our own sweet time and finished the job in another 15 minutes to trouble the Safari guy!
What would you have done Tau if someone took 15 mins to put the spare back?

IMHO, the Safari guy was a coward, had he got guts, he would have confronted the OP within the next 5 mins instead of honking/flashing.
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2015, 12:27   #370
BHPian

Quote:

What would you have done Tau if someone took 15 mins to put the spare back?
I agree and +1 to the above. Though I do not in anyway endorse what followed but keeping someone waiting intentionally for 15 mins (that is a really long time) on a jammed and busy thoroughfare is a surefire way to invite trouble and is just not done!!

I am infact surprised that the safari guy waited that long and did not find space or a gap in the traffic to merge.
Old 30th September 2015, 14:20   #371
BHPian

I have been thinking of writing on this thread since quite some time.

This is not exactly a road rage confession, but my thoughts about "road rage" (slightly off-topic for the thread, but doesn't warrant a new thread, IMO)

---------------------------------------------------------------------

It is getting increasingly difficult for me to understand how this systematic chaos works!
But this is how I see most road users/drivers/riders-
A Type:
A small percent of users (~5%-10%)-

drive safe (most of the time)
defensive
change lanes after proper indication
allow lane merging by others (may not allow, only in a very few cases, perhaps)
honk where only necessary
are generally patient.
stop at reds, before the zebra crossing, slow down at orange, are still cautious when moving through greens
DO NOT drive on the wrong side of the road.

B Type:
A good percentage of road users (say around 50%)

drive safe & rash alternately
neutral, can turn mildly aggressive upon provocation
change lanes without indicating
normally don't allow lane merging by others
honk liberally
are patient/impatient (with 40-60 split respectively)
stop at red, if others have stopped (or if law enforcers are visible) - mostly on or after the signal (they are indifferent towards markings on roads)
speed through at orange & green
think it's okay to drive wrong-side (as long as you drive slow, have blinkers on, flash headlights, etc)

C Type: (no pun intended)
(around 30~40% of total road users)

drive rash mostly - (every gap is worthy of accommodating their car(s))
aggressive to begin with, can turn violent upon provocation
they don't drive in lanes much, and wouldn't flinch cutting anyone off at any given speed.
absolutely no earthly mortal should cut in their way.
Their driving, as it is returns low FE, so they prefer horns over breaks.
Patience - Negligible.

Mostly drive through all colored signals (except, if law enforcers are "visibly active")
Lol- There is no such thing as wrong side, there is only a wrong driver, the one which blocks their way.
I confess, that I used to be a B Type, before becoming a conscious driver.
I more or less confirm to the A Type now.
I do make some blunders/mistakes but I acknowledge them immediately.
(Me & my wife, point & accept each others driving errors & help each other become a better/patient driver)
I make it a point to learn from them & be a better driver.

As it is with most people here, retrospect only begins when you have some "incident".

Mine was not an incident. Just an experience.
There have been many such 'experiences' but, let me narrate one.

Quote:
I was approaching a "divider-less" section, from where people generally make a turn for a mall.
I had already slowed down. (from 45ishkmph to 20ish kmph)
Since there was no one crossing or about to crossover the section, I continued with same speed (20~kmph).

A C_type guy (double seat on bike) comes from the wrong side (in my lane) & wants to crossover to the other side. I brake hard & come to a stop.
The traffic on the other-direction traffic lane makes him wait.

I am very calm in the car & 'realize' that I should have also considered that since he was coming wrong side anyway, he may want to crossover.
I give the guy a blank stare.
I do not rev or honk or anything!

The guy hurls expletives at me, just to tell me to wait until he can cross.

I am sitting in the car, wondering, why can this guy abuse & be in the wrong & still get away scot-free!?
Moreover, Why am I a "good driver" for being patient with such drivers/riders!?

My guess, going by the body language of the bike guy, was that, he was only waiting for me to question/get out of the car.
Had I done that, I would most likely have had my street-fight then & there.
Excuse me for the below question, I don't mean to offend anyone.
How do we differentiate between a "good driver" & a "total wuss/wimp/pushover"?

This question pushes me into a convoluted spiral of thoughts, summarized below:

All I see over this thread advice is:
"avoid confrontation"
"let it go"
"it's not worth it"
"low lives don't have much to lose, we do.."
"let them pass"
"they don't know better"

Don't get me wrong, I am not against the advice above, I abide by it!

These pointers only help us be "safe".
Definitely that's the best we can do to be safe.

But, isn't that in a way, telling C Type guys, that they can do whatever shit they want & get away with it?
Isn't it going to give the offender the confidence to execute similar abuse again?

The Bad_driver needs to understand & realize what he's doing.
May be he just needs some confrontation.

Let me try 'only' talking to him politely.

But, If I say, "Sir, you cut me off back there, please don't do that"
and if the Sir responds with a slap in my face & punch in my stomach..

There are only 2 reasons due to which one can back off from the 'confrontation'

1. Think of the 'consequences' or realize - that there isn't a back up team ready to beat up other guys at a phone call's notice - at our end.
OR
2. Being physically weak.
On a side note, thinking about "self defense"!
If I somehow pin down a huge guy - who happens to have tea-club-partner from a 'hypothetical' rowdy political party, it's then only a countdown, until the party guys learn about this & come looking for me.
At the same time, I do not subscribe in deriving pleasure & pride by initiating violence at a petty/non-life-threatening offenses.
Offense(s) should be dealt with proper authority.

But
Authorities are corrupt, unapproachable, influenced-heavily.

C Types, generally have good connections.

Even if I have a 'recorded proof' of what certain bad_driver did & I complain to the cops using that 'proof', I only have the hollow satisfaction of making the complaint (with regret of wasting my time & loosing my composure over it)

That too, in all probability won't serve any justice.

So, it takes a Vigilante to do the job.
(Wait, what!?)

It is frustrating to think about it & realize, that
even if I were to muster courage to confront some bad_driver,
I could end up simply paying
for no fault of mine, for damages to my car, for my hospital expenses,
or
my family could end up getting the life-insurance-sum-assured.

*rant over*

Ace.

Last edited by driverace : 30th September 2015 at 14:28.
driverace is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th September 2015, 16:26   #372
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driverace View Post
But
Authorities are corrupt, unapproachable, influenced-heavily.

C Types, generally have good connections.

Even if I have a 'recorded proof' of what certain bad_driver did & I complain to the cops using that 'proof', I only have the hollow satisfaction of making the complaint (with regret of wasting my time & loosing my composure over it)

That too, in all probability won't serve any justice.

Ace.
First off - thanks to technology & social media today, the situation is changing. At the end of the day, the political party/cops will be under pressure by the public if they commit any wrong doings.

Secondly - I personally believe in karma and the food cycle. Every person has a match where they will learn and repent their wrong doings. That thought helps me keep calm! That is - Party A may not want to give Party B any talking points to take advantage of; the police inspector has to listen to the police commissioner, who can't ignore viral social media/news posts made by the public, etc.

Third - get a dash-cam. The C-group people are the types who will mess around even if it is their fault. That is when you need the dash cam footage when the matter escalates. Personally, if they say something, ignore it say sorry and move on, but some of the C-group believe in hitting first and then speaking, in which case drive off and file a police complaint. Make sure all stages of the complaint and procedure are documented, and if all else fails - our news channels & social media will be more than happy to highlight the issue.

Last edited by lamborghini : 30th September 2015 at 16:27.
Old 30th September 2015, 17:13   #373
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
First off - thanks to technology & social media today, the situation is changing. At the end of the day, the political party/cops will be under pressure by the public if they commit any wrong doings.
Sure, but if any incident happens at the beginning of the day, the ordeal we would have to go through until "the end of the day" is unnecessary, uncalled for, superflous!
And that "day" may be years of our lives..

I have read accounts of people who were wrongly put in court cases for "driving down a cop".
In the end, the guy "pleaded guitly" * was fined for negligent driving & let off?
Many such instances, where people are just booked for any similar excuse, or bruising someone's ego, or such.
They have paid with their time & money & peace of mind!

I am glad you perceive the situation to be changing (for good?)

Quote:
Secondly - I personally believe in karma and the food cycle. Every person has a match where they will learn and repent their wrong doings. That thought helps me keep calm!
.. the police inspector has to listen to the police commissioner, who can't ignore viral social media/news posts made by the public, etc.
Point taken, about being calm & finding 'favorite' reason to be calm.
But, again, by the time the video/news circulates, goes viral, and then the commissioner looks into it, and orders "proper investigation"..why should you/we be made to suffer!!
There are already plenty examples, where even if media is fixated on the topic, still, whatever emerges from it, hogwash.

Quote:
Third - get a dash-cam. The C-group people are the types who will mess around even if it is their fault. That is when you need the dash cam footage when the matter escalates. Personally, if they say something, ignore it say sorry and move on, but some of the C-group believe in hitting first and then speaking, in which case drive off and file a police complaint. Make sure all stages of the complaint and procedure are documented, and if all else fails - our news channels & social media will be more than happy to highlight the issue.
Have a dash cam already. (thanks)

Well, (some eccentric) C Type folks wouldn't even mind to rip out the cam & smash it. What would I/you be expected to do then?
While you are on your way to Police Station, if you get side-swiped, blocked, what are you going to do!?
If while fleeing from the spot, if we get stones/sticks hurled at us - breaking windows, damaging the car significantly, what are we supposed to do!!?

I assume you might have read the posts on this thread & a few more around. DO you genuinely think, if we are in this 'cocoon' thought, that "If we are right, nothing wrong will happen to us" - will work?
I also subscribe to karma & other beautiful-spiritual-beliefs.

Your thoughts,
though are mostly correct & too idealistic in places,
still don't answer the questions in my post.

Again, I also abide by these 'thoughts' & keep 'calm'.

But, (still unanswered) question is:

Until what point, are supposed to "let go" "say sorry" and keep moving?

Ace.
driverace is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th September 2015, 17:37   #374
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_snk View Post
Then the most horrific thing happened, i heard screams of my wife, turned and saw the door of my car opened, wife hanging to it and trying to jump out the car while screaming. What the old man had done was, reversed his car, hit my car in front and still kept on reversing (with my wife in the front seat), basically trying to drag my car out of his way.
Quite shocking to read something like this. It highlights how there is a lot of crime being committed on our streets. God forbid, the man reversing on your car by brute force was putting the latent passenger to high risk. Why would someone even do this because of a two minute marginal delay..? The average temperament of the street driver in India is really really volatile and foul. Basically.

Last edited by asingh1977 : 30th September 2015 at 17:53.
Old 30th September 2015, 17:52   #375
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driverace View Post
Sure, but if any incident happens at the beginning of the day, the ordeal we would have to go through until "the end of the day" is unnecessary, uncalled for, superflous!
And that "day" may be years of our lives..

I have read accounts of people who were wrongly put in court cases for "driving down a cop".
In the end, the guy "pleaded guitly" * was fined for negligent driving & let off?
Many such instances, where people are just booked for any similar excuse, or bruising someone's ego, or such.
They have paid with their time & money & peace of mind!
That's where the recorded evidence plays a vital role.
We can either sit down, and submit and continue being bullied - or take a stand.
Yes - it isn't everyone's ballgame (keeping in mind all the other influencers around, such as family) - but at the same time, it needs one person to take a stand and others to support him when he does take a stand.

Quote:
I am glad you perceive the situation to be changing (for good?)
Yes, for good! A recent example being the Leh Ladakh Taxi Union incident (covered in detail on this forum), where social media, digital evidence, etc. played a big role; as did receiving support from well wishers, and those who were in a similar boat and were fighting for a change.
Similarly, newspapers and channels are flooded with clips of unjustice, and such dada-giri.

Quote:
Point taken, about being calm & finding 'favorite' reason to be calm.
But, again, by the time the video/news circulates, goes viral, and then the commissioner looks into it, and orders "proper investigation"..why should you/we be made to suffer!!
There are already plenty examples, where even if media is fixated on the topic, still, whatever emerges from it, hogwash.
Won't the Type-C make you suffer anyways? You're just bringing it to the notice of the public, and Type-C's not-so-well-wishers.
If the Type-C guys don't do anything to make you 'suffer' you probably will not have any reason to take the above steps.

Quote:
Well, (some eccentric) C Type folks wouldn't even mind to rip out the cam & smash it. What would I/you be expected to do then?
While you are on your way to Police Station, if you get side-swiped, blocked, what are you going to do!?
If while fleeing from the spot, if we get stones/sticks hurled at us - breaking windows, damaging the car significantly, what are we supposed to do!!?
Keep the windows closed, escape, call the police for help (on their helpline - which they are meant to make a note of it).
Once again - look at the Leh Ladakh thread where the vehicles were mobbed and stoned but basic safety needs to be followed -
- don't get down from the vehicle
- keep the doors locked
- don't open the windows more than required for a discussion
- carry a pepper spray?

Quote:
I assume you might have read the posts on this thread & a few more around. DO you genuinely think, if we are in this 'cocoon' thought, that "If we are right, nothing wrong will happen to us" - will work?
I also subscribe to karma & other beautiful-spiritual-beliefs.

Your thoughts,
though are mostly correct & too idealistic in places,
still don't answer the questions in my post.

Again, I also abide by these 'thoughts' & keep 'calm'.
All I am saying is that until a fist is thrown, don't get aggressive.
Each situation is going to be different, and trust me - not a day goes by without me losing my temper. I have been in a few road rage incidents myself, but have been lucky to always get out.

Quote:
Until what point, are supposed to "let go" "say sorry" and keep moving?
Honestly, it is the best way to deal with such a situation. Those times that I have lost my cool, made me feel like a total idiot after a few hours when I cooled down.
I would say sorry, and move on - and many a times that doesn't work. That is when you have reached the point and need to do the best that you can to legally stand up.

Hope this makes sense!
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks