Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2017, 10:58   #481
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Road rage confession

Had to shame a fellow on the DND today.
There is a huge jam, as is the case every day, and people want to pay their "homages" for god knows what reason. Do it at a proper hour, if at all. This city with a driver just stopped in the left lane when there is a mile of traffic behind him, to throw stuff packed in a polythene bag in the river. Just stopped .

Somehow I managed to change lanes so as to pass, which entailed getting "shraapit" by several other cars drivers. As I passed, I just could not help rolling down the window and shouting "Ganwaar to ho hi, gand bhi macha rahe ho." (Not just illiterate, but a litterer as well.)
In hindsight, was stupid, just like any level of roadrage, but these monkeys really get my goat.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 11th November 2017 at 05:53. Reason: formatting
mayankk is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th October 2017, 13:13   #482
Senior - BHPian

While running some errands last week, I was waiting at a traffic signal and opened the helmet glass for some freshly spewed smoke.

A biker wearing a helmet stopped to my right and almost the very next moment another biker (without a helmet) pulled up to my left. The guy without the helmet started screaming and gesturing at the other biker and seemed quite upset. I was standing there in the middle of what was getting to be an interesting minute or so.

Bbiker with helmet: Whats wrong with you?
Biker without helmet: You cut me off. Why cant you follow traffic rules?
With helmet: <starts laughing>
Without helmet (to me): Dekho, ek to rule follow nahi karta, upar se hass raha (See, firstly he isn't following rules. On top of it, he is laughing).
Wwith helmet: Look at him, not wearing a helmet, riding with earphones and listening to music. And talking about rules.

Just before they started getting physically closer to each other, the signal turned green.

Before moving on I had enough time to tell them, "not sure which of you made me the judge, but feel free to resolve on your own."

By the continued honking I heard in the growing distance between me and them, I presumed they parked their bikes there and then to continue their saga.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 11th November 2017 at 05:54. Reason: Grammar, spacing.
selfdrive is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th October 2017, 15:51   #483
ZMG
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
I doubt the first statement quoted above because if that was the case and your car actually touched his bike "twice", you would have already been in trouble without him having to tell you that his father is in police and stuff.
Well, what can I say, I can just thank my lucky stars.

However, I was shocked on seeing the response of the cop at duty.
He was least bothered, maybe he sees such things way too often.
Old 5th October 2017, 16:36   #484
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMG View Post
However, I was shocked on seeing the response of the cop at duty.
You probably need to read this then (the latter part of the post, ignore the earlier part). You might lose faith in the cops just like I did, though I hope you dont!
Old 23rd October 2017, 08:21   #485
BHPian

Had to shout at the toll operator yesterday. The toll which we get when entering Bangalore from Tumkur is usually crowded. I am taking about the toll which is just before the Navayuga (Nelamangala) toll. The toll fee is 18rs if we have entered the NH from Dobbaspet. I gave a 20rs note and was expecting a change of 2rs. The toll operator casually asked to move ahead. I politely asked him to tender the change, for which he murmurs in Kannada, which roughly translates that I am cheap, waiting for 2rs! This was the 3rd time I faced this sort of behavior in last 2 months at the same toll. At this point, I lost my cool and shouted at him to tender the change. Even though I was blocking the toll, I was very adamant. Immediately he gave a 10rs note, and asked me to move! Of course, without the toll fee receipt. I just moved ahead after this.

2 things I am feeling guilty for - not paying the full toll fee and blocking the way for 2 rs. :(

Last edited by tsk1979 : 11th November 2017 at 05:55.
Old 23rd October 2017, 10:29   #486
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autospeaker View Post

2 things I am feeling guilty for - not paying the full toll fee and blocking the way for 2 rs. :(
Not paying the full toll fee is bad. But nothing wrong in demanding the balance change amount. It doesn't matter if it is only Rs 2 or Rs 100. It's yours and he has to give you.
This behavior (not giving 1 or 2 rupees change) is only in India. People - shopkeepers, toll operators etc - give back small changes, even 5 cents.
JohnyBoy is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2017, 19:24   #487
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autospeaker View Post
2 things I am feeling guilty for - not paying the full toll fee and blocking the way for 2 rs.
Same pinch!

Have faced similar situations and almost identical reactions in toll booths and elsewhere too. Most of the times we are helpless and can only vent our frustrations. Although desirable, it is not always possible to tender exact change for, say, ₹99 .

Sensitivity and logic are rare commodities these days, especially on Indian roads. But in the instant case, a Fastag could have helped avoid the conflict.
dailydriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2017, 12:47   #488
Senior - BHPian

Today, while driving to office, I had another issue of road rage, only this time, I got angry, and changed my route.

Such ridiculous is the driving sense, I wonder when will people understand what is Lane Discipline.
Old Padra road has a road divider through out, I was in the second lane from right going from Bird Circle to Akshar Chowk. At a junction where there is a cut in road divider after after Manisha Chowkdi, traffic was pouring in to cross the road. No traffic signal here. Due to this, the right lane was having obstacle of impatient traffic coming in while left lane was moving.
An Eeco driver on my right tried to squeeze into left lane and cut me off. He couldn't as my car was ahead and his nose was near my B-pillar. Then rashly chased me down, cut me off and started moving dead slow ahead of me. I lost it and wanted to confront him.

But logic stuck back and I didn't get off from car, neither did he. He was slowing down the traffic. Was getting late for office, so took a U turn from cut in divider which was next to where he was moving dead slow and then reached office. No point in wasting time. For a few moments I completely lost my temper, but these type of individuals are in millions. Most don't have traffic sense, lane discipline or common sense. Cutting off lanes is so rampant, it makes driving stressful event. Am not hurting my health by losing temper on those who are clueless and senseless on road.
Attached Thumbnails
Road rage confession-eeco-cut-off-image-3.png  

Last edited by tsk1979 : 11th November 2017 at 05:55. Reason: Minor typos
aaggoswami is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 8th November 2017, 13:59   #489
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Today, while driving to office, I had another issue of road rage, only this time, I got angry, and changed my route.
Kudos to you for controlling your anger.

This is a report of road rage avoided Absolutely no use spoiling your day for such people. If something happens which gets my blood boiling, I usually shift lanes or move a couple of cars behind the offender or simply stop whenever there is space available at the side of the road.

Earlier I used to chase after the offender, stop the car, get out and confront and in 99 percent of the cases, they had a nonsensical argument. Now I simply laugh it off (cutting off, driving irresponsibly, honking, jumping traffic lights, jaywalking, jaydriving, halting in the middle of the road to drop or pick up someone and so on and so forth).
luvDriving is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2017, 23:53   #490
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvDriving View Post
Kudos to you for controlling your anger.

This is a report of road rage avoided Absolutely no use spoiling your day for such people. If something happens which gets my blood boiling, I usually shift lanes or move a couple of cars behind the offender or simply stop whenever there is space available at the side of the road.
+1. You have handled the situation better and avoided a road rage . Our roads are full of Idiots. No point in arguing/fighting with these morons . Keep cool and drive safe.
Old 10th November 2017, 15:16   #491
Senior - BHPian

Polar opposite of Road Rage.

source: https://jalopnik.com/seeing-the-exac...ake-1820250797
14000rpm is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 11th November 2017, 05:51   #492
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Agree, hazard lights during heavy rain and fog is something which I never understand. That is what the rear fog lamps are for which most of the cars come with now.
Some cabbie would haves started it and the herd mentality took over.
RTO electronic city has a big flex displayed within their building which advocates turning on hazard lights in heavy rain.

I don't agree with the logic too but it's not cabbies alone, the guardians themselves are to blame.

Last edited by .anshuman : 11th November 2017 at 06:03. Reason: Fixed quotes. Thanks
Old 11th November 2017, 12:27   #493
BHPian

Ive been thinking of sharing this for the past 4 weeks, so here goes.

My wife and I had taken a road trip from Vadodara to Udaipur (330 Kms) last month and the main highway drives were uneventful. The roads are quite good and I was easily able to maintain 90 kmph average speed. I never hit triple digit figures on my car. I just dont feel confident.

Anyway the incident happened when my wife and I decided to visit Kumbalgadh fort in Udaipur. Now this fort was approximately 60 kms from our hotel so we set out at around 8 in the morning. The shortest yet narrowest route was via villages which seemed to be the one everyone we asked suggested. The reason it was narrow was that it cut across many villages and at times it was so narrow that if a vehicle came from the other side, both would have to go off road to accommodate each other. Needless to say this 40 km stretch did take us over an hour and it was pretty bumpy. About 10 kms from the fort (as per Google Maps) we came across a village where we had to slow down and taking advantage of this we were surrounded by villagers banging on all the glasses of our car. They were asking for money to pass through. Add to this 5 women dressed in traditional wear started dancing in front of the car to stop us from moving ahead. My wife was scared. I kept waving, but they wouldnt listen. Initially with the windows up I was not sure what they wanted. I was not opening the doors or rolling down my windows in such a situation. I have heard and read too many stories which went wrong in these situations.

My adrenaline started pumping as I felt these people getting hostile. Of course I was also getting pissed off after such a drive and add to that the pummelling which the car was getting from the villagers' fists. I rolled down my window 20% and the villagers stopped and asked for money to pass. i rolled up the window. I hate to say this but I acted immature and in my anger blared my horn and also revved the car with it being in neutral. The ladies dancing up front moved away a little but they were still blocking us. My wife was almost in tears now. She wanted me to pay and go. I was not too sure if they would let us pass without paying a big sum. I revved to the limit again and suddenly the pummelling on the glass stopped and the women made way. First gear, tyre screech and I was out of there.

My wife did not approve and I was pissed off. Thankfully they didnt scratch the car. I felt a little bad too about my behaviour. My heart rate was elevated and I wanted to tear each one of those people additional holes to breathe out of (you get my drift). I hate being bullied, faced too much of that in my childhood and when someone tries to extort me, I simply lose it. This was the first time it happened when I was driving. Thankfully I did not let it affect my driving at all. I maintained a low speed on those unknown roads.

The fun part was on the way back we saw them doing the same thing to other car owners too and they had the audacity to block me again. I simply started blaring my horn and they remembered my car (a red Ford Figo is kind of rare). No drama this time around, they let me pass.

I do think I should have not revved my engine and gotten angry. I should have simply held my ground and maybe they would relent themselves. I was just scared for my wife and my car. What if they dragged us out, what if they looted us, these things made me act out. The anger narrowed my thinking and I acted out of pure instinct. Make a lot of noise and scare the enemy. It doesnt sound or look cool. It worked, but I was not myself when I acted that way.

I will keep this in my mind the next time I start losing my cool.
Vikram8891 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th November 2017, 19:31   #494
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram8891 View Post
Ive been thinking of sharing this for the past 4 weeks, so here goes.

I will keep this in my mind the next time I start losing my cool.
That is one crazy experience. It is difficult to think straight when the adrenaline is pumping. It looks like the knocking on the glasses is what made the situation unpleasant and elevated heart rates. Unfortunately these kind of people usually only resort to such scare tactics to extort money.

Good on you for realising what the right course of action could have been.

My only question is why you chose to return in the same route on your way back? You already had a bad experience so you could have taken an alternative route. Why have the bad experience on your way back too?

By any chance is this the route that passes through Barwara.
Shanksta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2017, 09:16   #495
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram8891 View Post
Anyway the incident happened when my wife and I decided to visit Kumbalgadh fort in Udaipur. Now this fort was approximately 60 kms from our hotel so we set out at around 8 in the morning. The shortest yet narrowest route was via villages which seemed to be the one everyone we asked suggested.
Good to hear that you made your way out without injury to people or vehicle. I also doubt if the incident comes across as "road rage"!

We had a similar but slightly different experience in 2015 en route from Ranakpur to Kumbalgarh. The road was quite deserted and we were cruising at a moderate speed. Suddenly 2 kids ran onto the road making me brake hard. Now the younger kid, about 2.5 ft tall and maybe about 4 - 5 yrs old, blocked the car in the front by holding onto the bonnet and the other kid, a bit taller and maybe about 6 - 7 yrs old, started banging the car's window. He had a small packet of guavas, I think, and wanted to force us to buy it from him. He was relentlessly banging the window and kept screaming "paisa do paisa do". I kept the car moving slowly. I then faked as if I am going to open the window. This made the other kid to come around to the other window (had no expectation of any reaction but this provided an opportunity). Seeing that the bonnet block was clear now I then just raced ahead.

It was unnerving and I kept wondering various scenarios that could've played out. Anyway we got off without incident to us or the kids.

If kids could torture us so much I do understand what a bunch of villagers may have caused within you. Anyway now you can add it to your road experiences journal :-)
Mnjdnght is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed