Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2012, 13:24   #16
BHPian

Re: Hole in the body of my car

Similar but worse incident happened with my car (Ford Figo). Since it is a hole in the body of the car, thought of posting on the same thread instead of creating a new one.

The other day last week, while coming down from multi-level parking, the right side of the car got hit by a metal bar extending from some construction work. This left a big scratch on the rightside-back door and a deep hole in the panel just behind the door (Pls refer to the attached image).

Can anybody help me with following?
- What is the usual way of fixing such holes? Will I have to replace the panel altogether considering the size of hole? (the panel spans all the way to right A-pillar)
- Where should I take it; local garage or Ford service center?
- How much would it cost to fix? According to my past experience, the door would take 3K-5K. Not sure about the hole.

Please help.

Thanks in advance.

Hole in the body of my car-img_0097.jpg
Old 21st November 2012, 14:53   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RishikeshK View Post
- Where should I take it; local garage or Ford service center?
- How much would it cost to fix? According to my past experience, the door would take 3K-5K. Not sure about the hole.
One door alone will cost you 5K at a Ford dealer - I have had to do that repair to my Figo after someone swiped it when the car was parked.
Conservatively, triple that estimate for both doors and the rear quarter panel repair at a Ford dealer.

An outside garage will probably do it for around 8K.

Suggest you go to a good independent bodyshop. Pay cash if possible and don't claim insurance. Also, white is an easy colour to match.

Last edited by KiloAlpha : 21st November 2012 at 14:55.
KiloAlpha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2012, 16:13   #18
BHPian

Thanks KiloAlpha. I guess it is time to find a good independent bodyshop around. I was wondering how would one fix that hole. Should putty help filling that up or welding may be required? Anyways, I'll talk to the garage regarding that.

Thanks a lot.
Old 21st November 2012, 18:02   #19
Senior - BHPian

Generally local body shops will use putty/filler to fill the hole, sand up the area, apply primer and then repaint the car. However this is a poor long term solution, especially prone to rusting. Best way is to replace the panel where the hole is and get out scratches/dents on the door. An authorized service center will do the latter.
Costs involved in the former are anywhere between 5-9k and latter method will come between 12-20k
Old 22nd November 2012, 08:31   #20
Senior - BHPian

Usually the service centers recommend replacing the whole panel itself,in this instance that is most likely to be the case. Considering the size of that hole, unlikely that a putty/filler can cover it up. Needs tinkering and you best option is to find a local body shop who can fix this.

The panel usually will need to be repainted completely, so ensure they can get the color code right while mixing it.
Old 11th December 2012, 13:13   #21
BHPian

An update from my side:

I showed the car to a couple of local workshops. One of them suggested to cut out the portion immediately around the damage and replace it with another sheet of metal to be welded and painted at the same location. The second one suggested similar but with a larger sheet (around 2 feet x 1 feet) to match the color better. However, with both these approaches, the curvature of the panel (where the end of rear door would rest) is hard to get perfect. My trusted two-wheeler mechanic (who services all our two wheelers since 15 years!!) suggested to get it to the Ford workshop instead of any jugaad.

So took the car to Ford workshop. They suggested to replace the rear quarter panel (which would also take care of a couple of dents and scratches in the panel). As per the Ford strategy ("replace rather than repair"), they also suggested to replace the rear door!!! Since insurance was to be claimed, the front door was also considered for repainting (to take care of some minor scratches there).

The total estimate came to around 34K. I had to bear 7K. Work was done in 5 days and I have the car back in perfect state with me.

Thank you all for the help.

Most Viewed