Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2012, 08:30   #16
BHPian

Re: Driving to Mysore? Beware Of Greedy Villagers (DNA India Article)

I keep travelling to Mysore and Coorg quite often at odd times, but never came across this situation.

There were cases when other travellers were forced to take the accident victims in their cars to the hospital on mysore road.

Had first had experience near palamaner in 2003, when some kids suddenly ran across the road. I was warned by my relatively of such incident near Palamaner, so was cruising at 40 KMPH and was looking out for anything which moves.

When some adults across the road saw there was no issues and I had stopped the car and started moving the car slowly again, they got angry and tried to pelt stone at the car. I was angry, but couldn't do any thing.

Time to investigate with friends and relatively whats going on. Mean while travellers can tag behind a volvo bus or KSRTC bus and pass this stretch. I am sure these villagers don't dare mess with KSRTC, they might lose their life.

Regards
chandrda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th February 2012, 08:53   #17
BHPian

There goes the fun and thrill of driving on this road, now on, we need to keep a watch and be on high alert and keep a safe speed, in case some smart guy decides to dare a stunt, we can slow or stop at a safe distance.

Need to be very careful when kids are walking or cycling on these roads, never know what they will do next.

-Sajan

Last edited by sajands : 17th February 2012 at 08:55. Reason: Add a sentence
Old 17th February 2012, 08:53   #18
Senior - BHPian

People stopping their drives on the road? Aren't we panicking too much. All that is needed is to be careful. Like one gentleman said on this thread, lets not paint the whole road and everyone on the road as robbers.
If this is the case, we should stop going outside since somewhere something had happened.
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2012, 08:54   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
A dashboard camera seems to be the only defense against this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
You will be lucky if you can get away from the situation. The 1st thing when an accident occurs people from nearby villages try and steal whatever is the car and if possible steal from the accident victims too.Providing help is the last thought on their minds.So a dash camera stands no chance and would be stolen even if they had no use for it.
3 years ago, I installed a car camera in my car only to protect myself in such situations. Apparently, in the US, these videos are accepted as evidence by police and courts, but in India we have no such precedents.

My car camera is a small device next to the RVM, not noticeable by anyone. Hopefully, that will help it from being plundered.

I believe that each of us should invest in car cameras - they cost anywhere from USD 100 (without GPS) to USD 300 (with GPS). Prices have fallen from the time when I bought it at USD400. Neither the car companies nor the motorists themselves appear to have applied their mind on such safety issues, and spend fortunes on ICE and other fancy accessories - but will not have a car cam, first aid kit or a fire extinguisher in their cars - quite an irony (BTW, I have all 3 of them in mine)
hvkumar is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 17th February 2012, 09:21   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Oh my, my. It means my proposed South-India trip that included Bangalore - Mysore - Nanjangud - Ooty goes for a six?
Excuse me? Of all the people you should be least bothered with such newspaper stories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Else, these highways will become like those up north where private vehicle do not prefer to ply after dark.
Excuse me again. Which areas are you painting with a broad brush? Care to be specific? A lot of it is FUD.

Last edited by .anshuman : 18th February 2012 at 16:27. Reason: Spellings corrected. Thanks
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2012, 10:28   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
They had no choice but leave and we were asked to accompany them to the police station. We made a few calls and were let off, the biker was booked for rash riding and riding without insurance. Apparently the bike wasn't insured too.
I would have definitely caved in and paid up - I simply cannot handle a big crowd

In your case, it looks the the cops were honest. Most of the time, when the matter goes to the police station, the cops immediately become buddies with the biker and look for ways to fleece you.
Old 17th February 2012, 11:04   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
In your case, it looks the the cops were honest. Most of the time, when the matter goes to the police station, the cops immediately become buddies with the biker and look for ways to fleece you.
From what I have heard , the Mandya SP is a very good person to deal with. However the one's at the lower ranks are mostly the rotten apples who generally team up with the locals and try to squeeze money out of helpless travelers.
Old 17th February 2012, 11:05   #23
BHPian

This is a scary news. I frequently travel to coorg by this road. Most of the time it will be at odd hours. Going forward will have to be more careful.
The villagers in and around Mandya and Maddur are known for these kind of acts.
Old 17th February 2012, 11:28   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandrda View Post
... travellers can tag behind a volvo bus or KSRTC bus and pass this stretch.
That's very scary news, especially considering my planned trip to Coorg on that route this weekend. Like chandrda pointed out, why not actually tag behind (at a safe distance of course) a Volvo/KSRTC bus or better still other cars? Wouldn't it be harder then, to single you out for an attack?
I think, in theory it works. However, tailing someone for hours may not be practical.

On a lighter note, dear wildsdi5530, how did the Panchayat head of Yeliyur "back in the 90's" talk about "the rich city wallahs in their luxury indicas and swifts"? Indicas and Swifts weren't around in the 90s.
[I'm sure it's a memory lapse, but it made me laugh]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
In these hard times where farmers are not getting enough for their efforts, manyatimes leading to ryot suicide, is it not fair to prey on the rich city wallahs in their luxury indicas and swifts and tons of black money stashed away?

I used to ride from Bangalore to Mysore often during my college days- back in the 90's. Once an old man in a bicycle riding it on the wrong side of the median near Yeliyur, suddenly fell down about 200 yards ahead of me. Immediately some 4-5 people stopped me ahead of the supposed accident site and started bullying me. Luckily the Panchayat head of Yeliyur who happens to be a friend was passing by. He scolded the miscreants and told them that I was under his protection and to never harrass me on that road again. Later while having lunch at his house, the above message was the gist of what he had to say regarding the villager's behavior.
Old 17th February 2012, 12:28   #25
Senior - BHPian

I like it Hitanshu. You've painted me as some Goliath. He he. The problem is when you are saddled with two women whom you love, then you are kinda helpless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post

Hexcuse me? Of all the people you should be least bothered with such newspaper stories.
Please post his name & number for the benefit of all.

Quote:

From what I have heard , the Mandya SP is a very good person to deal with.
Old 17th February 2012, 13:23   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
(BTW, I have all 3 of them in mine)
Really an eye opener. +1 to hvkumar for leading by example. I too will install a camera asap.
BTW, One confusion, are you people talking about mysore bangalore expressway . If so is there any other route for people travelling that side?
Old 17th February 2012, 14:17   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The cops are the biggest leeches along this route, I remember speedsatya having bght this up in one of his threads where cops harass truck drivers in the nights. Well I have seen this happen a lot of times where cops make truck drivers pull over and extort money from them.

Good that you remembered this

I cannot forget that incident in the night when this cop threw a stone to crack this truck's windshield ! All for not stopping to give their money !

About this road ,I drive on it only if we have to cover it early morning or late in the nights .I always mention that I find this as one of the scariest and most dangerous roads that I have driven on . Unmarked speedbreakers come up everywhere ( even regulars fail to notice them ) ,you will find intersections on a fast blind corner ( the tire marks will tell all ) ,bikers coming from the wrong side ,broken down/accident vehicles on the right sides on blind turns,mad drivers ,.. name it and you can see it here .This is one road where I stick to very basic rules -stick to under 80 kph and never drive on the RHS lane( as yiu never know who will you run into at the next turn ) ,Unfortunately this is one road where I am always on high beam as that is the only way you can spot these speed breakers.

I have seen locals near Srirangapatna ( the circle where you can take the road to Madikeri ) try and scare drivers by walking very close to the cars.Some unsuspecting driver would stop and try talking sense only to be roughed up by other members of the group .This ,I have seen in the nights .

I have seen locals block roads in case of accidents where one of the vehicles would be involved in a hit and run .I have seen an incident where a family of four on a brand new unregistered bike coming on the wrong side was run over by a Ford Ikon driver.This car supposedly didnt stop .The locals blocked the road and then to our horror went up to a Ford Ikon driver who had coming from the opposite side and bashed up the poor driver .

I have had my windshield crack when someone threw a stone at our car .Luckily the windows were rolled up .But ,as it was in the night ,I didnt stop !

Easily one of those roads that I avoid driving during daytime

Last edited by speedsatya : 17th February 2012 at 14:20.
Old 17th February 2012, 15:30   #28
BHPian

Is the situation still that bad. I am on a road trip from Mumbai to south and will be driving from Mysore to Bangalore
Old 17th February 2012, 16:24   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
Easily one of those roads that I avoid driving during daytime
This line caught my attention, i thought it would be safer at day time and unsafe at night time with all the news coming in, as there are many on the roads and the chances of someone pulling a fast one on you would be quiet rare as compared to night time when you are mostly alone (not like bunch of cars traveling together), and a lonely car driving alone is a easy target for all these folks.

Am i missing something?
Old 17th February 2012, 16:39   #30
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasuki View Post
are you people talking about mysore bangalore expressway
Bangalore-Mysore Expressway [NICE road] is embroiled in political and legal controversy and far from completion. The discussion pertains to regular 4-laned Bangalore-Mysore SH 17.
Quote:
If so is there any other route for people travelling that side?
Yes. There is a decent 2-laned Bangalore>Kanakapura>Malavalli>Bannur>Mysore route.
  (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks