Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2012, 15:54   #46
BHPian

Re: Driving to Mysore? Beware Of Greedy Villagers (DNA India Article)

Well i can say that situation is getting worse on this Road, I almost went through a terrible incident on this stretch around a year ago near Bidadi. I was coming from Mandya CCD at around 1:30 am, as traffic was pretty decent I was driving at good speed (read 80-90 km/h), Suddenly I saw some movement on one of the over bridge and one big gunny bag was dropped dead ahead of my car exactly on the right most lane, I somehow managed to brake and steer away from it.I didn't stop as I felt they might have some more tricks left. That was the day I stopped using this road for pleasure drives to CCD's. Also I thanked myself for buying a vehicle having ABS which allowed me to steer away at high speed. Can't even imagine what could have happened that day.
Travelbug is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2012, 10:12   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Suddenly, a boy jumped onto our path and my dad braked hard and avoided him. When we came to a standstill, the boy jumped onto our car's bonnet and then rolled-off, crying and withering (apparently) in pain.
This is exactly what I was talking about in my previous quote. I have hit cattles, sheeps, chicken, carts, but the very thought of a small boy jumping up and down in pain to fake a accident is scary.

One more trick the villagers have in this plan is to whisk away the boy as soon as you stop and is being surrounded by others. They will say that the boy has been taken to hospital and is injured.

Quote:
Originally Posted by megazoid View Post
A bunch of villagers and gathered and they told me that the countryside was their's and I needed to pay them money to photograph the countryside.
Haha, copyrights payments I believe. One needs to be firm and unmoved i this situation, otherwise nervousness or eagerness to settle is a bad sign.

Luckily I haven't face any issues on mysore-coorg road still now. Travelled to mysore on saturday and back, nothing my friends also could tell off. Travellers should not put off their plans, but only be cautious and street smart in the situation.

One thing which has always helped me to get away from tricky situation is throwing in the names of local MLA and district Court Judge.

Even atleast if you dont know them, its not bad to know the names and by the time someone finds out you are faking you might be in police station.

Regards
Old 20th February 2012, 11:27   #48
Senior - BHPian

We drive/ride to Coorg very often (its work, so we have to!) and have not faced such an issue yet. There are always a few bad apples, and can happen anywhere. Like someone said, leave early to avoid traffic (always a good idea irrespective of such incidents) and don't hesitate to call/drive over to the cops. In Karnataka, they're by and large very decent.
Old 20th February 2012, 12:39   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
One more thing I want to mention is that I avoid this road to Bangalore after Sunday afternoon .Just cannot take the traffic and the madness.
Oh yes, if using this road on a Sunday it better be after 9 from Mysore to Bangalore. Before that it is like navigating city traffic at 100kmph speeds with impatient drivers. I too never cross this stretch during the afternoon/evenings.
Old 20th February 2012, 15:11   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelbug View Post
Well i can say that situation is getting worse on this Road, I almost went through a terrible incident on this stretch around a year ago near Bidadi. I was coming from Mandya CCD at around 1:30 am, as traffic was pretty decent I was driving at good speed (read 80-90 km/h), Suddenly I saw some movement on one of the over bridge and one big gunny bag was dropped dead ahead of my car exactly on the right most lane, I somehow managed to brake and steer away from it.I didn't stop as I felt they might have some more tricks left. That was the day I stopped using this road for pleasure drives to CCD's. Also I thanked myself for buying a vehicle having ABS which allowed me to steer away at high speed. Can't even imagine what could have happened that day.
Interesting point .Thanks for bringing it up here ! I have always wanted to mention this but I forgot .

I have had something similar around 2006 or 2007.A huge stone ( football size) was dropped from this same overbridge at around 12 am right in front of the car .I am sure the bonnet and hence engine would have been damaged had it fallen on the car ,or the windshield would have cracked for sure . Dunno why ,but I had see this person standing with something that looked like a ball and instinctively swerved the car only to see the stone land right where I would have otherwise have travelled !!

I was stupid enough to park the car and get out ,when I saw 2-3 people emerge from the other side of the bridge .That was when I realised this was a set-up and just fled from there !! I was too shocked to even report this to the cops.

After that incident , even inside the city ,I have got into this habit of looking up at the approaching bridge .

Same way caution is exercised when approaching a parked HCV ,whenever I cant see on the front LHS of the vehicle .*

The trick of staying safe on the mysore road is to drive between 60-70 and most of the times stick to the LHS lane .
Whenever you approach a blind corner ,be ready to face a parked vehicle or some idiot crossing the road .*

One more advantage of not driving on the right most lane is that you have time to react in case of a vehicle from the other lane that could have jumped the divider.*

* indicates this is applicable on every road
speedsatya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2012, 13:38   #51
Senior - BHPian

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post2693990

This is what happened on this weekend .

Time : around 1230 am
Place : Just after Bidadi
Old 26th February 2012, 14:01   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
I have had something similar around 2006 or 2007.A huge stone ( football size) was dropped from this same overbridge at around 12 am right in front of the car .I am sure the bonnet and hence engine would have been damaged had it fallen on the car ,or the windshield would have cracked for sure . Dunno why ,but I had see this person standing with something that looked like a ball and instinctively swerved the car only to see the stone land right where I would have otherwise have travelled !!

The trick of staying safe on the mysore road is to drive between 60-70 and most of the times stick to the LHS lane .
That is scary man. It seems the biggest trick in staying safe on Mysore road is to not drive on it once it gets dark. And definitely not the road to go on a pleasure drive. I mean, where is the pleasure in it if you need to be on the lookout all the time for some lowlife ready to put your life at risk for a few rupees.
Old 26th February 2012, 14:41   #53
BHPian

I have hit Mysore road last month while i was traveling to Bandipur. Usually i start from Bangalore early morning around 4 AM. Never faced any issues till now touch wood. But yes you have to be careful on the road as it's no longer safe to drive fast and have to watch out for cattle, 2 wheelers and villagers crossing the road.
Old 27th February 2012, 19:25   #54
Senior - BHPian

In Any case, i feel that a Dash - Camera should do the trick.

I would do this- Even if i am forced to stop, I would call the police. Anyway, the video on my dash camera would keep recording and that would / should server as an evidence. The camera would capture me driving and being stopped by the villagers.

Even if i taken to court, i could present the same to the court, which would be accepted as evidence.

Does anyone see any loophole here ?
Old 15th May 2012, 16:40   #55
BHPian

Man this is one scary thread to read. I been on this road over the past three decades regularly and have never had a problem other than the type one may face on any other road like people on the wrong side, carts, cattle and such. Its always been a pleasant drive from the days it was a two lane highway. The road lost its character once it was four-laned. What is listed here is an eye-opener. However to you all who are planning to change your plans of traveling on this road please don't, things are not that bad as may seem in a single reading of this thread. The people of Karnataka are still the most mild mannered in the country, however the concept that villagers are innocent and simple is pure fantasy, they are very much similar to their city cousins.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks