Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2012, 06:26   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
So did the cops demand any compensation from you?
In Bangalore, in a similar incident, the cops would have berated you for driving in front of their jeep and booked you obstructing a civil servant's duty.

No the cops did not demanded any money as it was their fault. I did not braked also. I was just moving ahead when suddenly they rammed their vehicle from behind.

Regarding scratches it did suffered a dent by a bus but I gave my car to the workshop and the dent was removed and painted. Apart from this nothing else.

Today called the co owner of the dealership as he is a very good friend of mine, he informed me that there is considerable amount of damage and the surveyor will come in 1-2 days. Could anyone tell whether the door will be replaced or not?

Last edited by GTO : 8th March 2012 at 16:42. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!
Old 7th March 2012, 12:06   #32
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Ford Figo rammed from behind by a police jeep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRoadie View Post
Could anyone tell whether the door will be replaced or not?
Even if gets replaced, it would cost you just 800 Rs.

For cars with age between 1 and 2 years, depreciation on metal parts like door is 10%.

One door + painting of that door would cost approx 8,000 and you will have to pay 800.
Old 7th March 2012, 14:15   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Umm, even if it was a regular Joe like you or me, he should NOT pay for the damage. That's what insurance is for. Look up third party insurance coverage.

If anyone demands money out of you in an accident, tell them to get lost. Just lodge a police complaint, file an insurance claim and let the insurers take care of it.
If 100% of the cost of repair isn't coming from my Insurance or other vehicles 3rd Insurance - why I should not demand for the remaining money to be paid by the person who did the mistake??

In a scenario - if the money isn't coming from other vehicles insurance (say other guy did not have a insurance!) - I lose my NCB too.

Why should I loose money for no mistake of mine??

To quote an example - few years back while returning home on a rainy night in my Innova - I hit a indica cab in the front because he braked to avoid a bike fellow and i noticed it little late. Because of which - both the vehicle had a dent (mine bumper & his rear door). He stopped the vehicle in the middle of the road and wanted to argue....I simply asked him to park the vehicle on a side and told him - I will pay 500 for the damage. Matter got settled in 5 mins. Who knows - he might just pocket the money and get it processed through his insurance.

Though it's entirely not my fault - but I caused the damage - so it's obvious that I should bear the expenses.
maheshramaling is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2012, 18:25   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blow Horn Ok View Post
I am sure the car's right door was scratched once by a bus.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-diesel-3.html
Thanks for correcting me, i take my words back . Was wondering these things are inevitable on a daily runner, even my car bears the scratch mark which was deliberately made with a key.

@HappyRoadie: I hope the damage is fixed soon & with minimum possible headache.
Old 7th March 2012, 19:10   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maheshramaling View Post
If 100% of the cost of repair isn't coming from my Insurance or other vehicles 3rd Insurance - why I should not demand for the remaining money to be paid by the person who did the mistake??

In a scenario - if the money isn't coming from other vehicles insurance (say other guy did not have a insurance!) - I lose my NCB too.

Why should I loose money for no mistake of mine??
Because thats the insurance rule & law and thats how it should work "ideally". GTO is just Quoting it, as long as there is no physical injury to any occupant.

In your example also, you are at fault since you are driving at back and should keep distance and thats how they resolve rear-end accidents in many countries (rear vehicle is always at fault).
Old 7th March 2012, 19:40   #36
BANNED

I would suggest you to eb there in person when the insurance surveyor comes to assess the damage. Take every small dent and scratch into effect and also check underneath the car for any other damages becaue once the surveyor comes and does his job you are stuck with whatever assessment he has made and no claims will be entertained later.
zaks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2012, 08:04   #37
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to see those pics Happy Roadie. I think your Figo is a mess and the Jeep looks to be in pristine condition. Usually it is the vehicle that rear ends gets damaged most; could it be that Ford has cut more corners to get the price right. It shows Figo's crash worthiness is not up to the mark. Just imagine what would have happened to the Honda Brio. looks like all these Asia/India specific cars have 'tinny' build quality. This brings to focus the Honda City that got rear ended by a Dzire and was reduced to a hatch in the bargain. Hope you are fine and hope there wasn't any one in the rear seats.
Old 8th March 2012, 08:48   #38
BHPian

Thanks for your support and luckily no one was injured although one of my sons was sitting at the back. He only has minor pain in neck. According to me it has withstood the impact well. I am saying this because Jeep was at a high spped and when it hit my car, Figo was pushed ahead by 10-15m by the Jeep.
Old 8th March 2012, 08:56   #39
Senior - BHPian

@durangodude: I wonder if there is a crumple zone in the rear too? Safety of the occupants is the only concern of car manufacturers. The safety of the car itself is of no concern. Honda had G-co wherein only the cabin is protected. The hood and boot are outside this rigid cage.
Old 8th March 2012, 11:07   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Because thats the insurance rule & law and thats how it should work "ideally". GTO is just Quoting it, as long as there is no physical injury to any occupant.

In your example also, you are at fault since you are driving at back and should keep distance and thats how they resolve rear-end accidents in many countries (rear vehicle is always at fault).
Agreed but there is hell a lot of difference between Ideal and Practical world.
Old 8th March 2012, 14:13   #41
BHPian

Feel sorry for the incident happy. Hope you get the car back soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
Sorry to see those pics Happy Roadie. I think your Figo is a mess and the Jeep looks to be in pristine condition. Usually it is the vehicle that rear ends gets damaged most; could it be that Ford has cut more corners to get the price right. It shows Figo's crash worthiness is not up to the mark. Just imagine what would have happened to the Honda Brio. looks like all these Asia/India specific cars have 'tinny' build quality. This brings to focus the Honda City that got rear ended by a Dzire and was reduced to a hatch in the bargain. Hope you are fine and hope there wasn't any one in the rear seats.
Isnt that jumping to the conclusion too soon when the owner himself quoted in post #22 that the Jeep was at high speed ? IMO the car has held quite well. My friend banged his Jap made sedan into a light poll while reversing and I know how it looked.

Last edited by akshay380 : 8th March 2012 at 14:14.
Old 8th March 2012, 15:29   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
Point should be noted that it is a Jeep which has hit a car from behind. A jeep is heavier, bigger, rugged and has extra tough and thick metal bumpers which are sharp enough. On the other hand, Cars can't be build like jeeps. Things like pedestrian safety, light weight construction and aesthetics has to be kept in mind.

A car involved in an accident showing no major body damage and transferring all the impact to the passengers is not safe. On the other hand a car which transfers the impact to its body (crumple zones) without much affecting the passengers is a more safer car to be in during an accident.

The bumpers of the figo are not that rigid but it helps in other way. It suffers slow impacts and regains its shape. It is ripped in this case just because intensity of the impact and the sharp metal bumpers of the JEEP.

With respect to competition the figo is a better built hatch and no way tinny.
Blow Horn Ok is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2012, 21:02   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO

Umm, even if it was a regular Joe like you or me, he should NOT pay for the damage. That's what insurance is for. Look up third party insurance coverage.

If anyone demands money out of you in an accident, tell them to get lost. Just lodge a police complaint, file an insurance claim and let the insurers take care of it.
Only issue with insurance claims is that the person with the damaged vehicle loses his no claim bonus even if it is not his fault. In most other countries, the police vehicle's insurance would pay in an incident like this, and our friend would not have lost his no claim bonus. A similar thing happened to me - I stopped my Getz at the Lala College signal on Haji Ali sea face at about 8 am and a jeep rammed into me at high speed, and then drove off when I moved my car to the side to avoid blocking the traffic. A police complaint with his reg no yielded no results, and I lost my no claim bonus.
Old 9th March 2012, 11:03   #44
BHPian

Still waiting for the estimate. I have also asked the workshop people to check the underbody as well. I will give them a call tomorrow if they dont call today.
Old 9th March 2012, 11:13   #45
BHPian

Visiting the ASSC and creating a pressure that you need the car at earliest will increase the pace of things going on. IMO, they work on these type of cases in their sweet time and are busy in finishing off the job cards of regular cars coming for service.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks