Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2012, 12:33   #16
BHPian

Re: Wedding processions on roads: A Menace!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Also I never saw something similar on Bangalore roads ( maybe because people there tend to show off less perhaps)
Us bangaloreans are blessed with narrow roads, unlike the ones I've seen in New delhi. A Volvo bus eats up an entire road side, and people behind it can't do anything except wait for the road to end. But all this is thrown to the wind when politicians start sleeping on the roads demanding the Chief ministers chair
Old 25th April 2012, 12:38   #17
BHPian

We, the Indians shall follow such examples:

Wedding processions on roads: A Menace!-marriage.jpg

Source: Facebook

Cheers!
Irish
Old 25th April 2012, 12:39   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Processions move, you can take a detour, but road-blocks???

This December I was driving down with my dad and there was a road-block for ~4 hours. Had it been in summers, either we would be forced to run the A/C (poor Car) or go back all the way (the jam had lasted for over 10kms) to a dhaba/restaurant. There was no detour (home was closer than the closest detour available)

Road-blocks should be dealt firmly with, after all, what has the poor commoner commuter done?
Inquisitive here, what was the cause for this roadblock? 10kms is a very long distance for a jam to spread over, I assume it must be something serious.
Old 25th April 2012, 13:08   #19
BHPian

Are we talking about road-blocks or marriage processions or any processions that causes road-blocks ?

Road Blocks: Every week atleast twice I see many older trucks broken down on the middle of the road that too during the peak traffic hours, Aren't there vehicles a menace ?

Other Processions (Political, Morchas, Religious): These happen in the designated places and most of them will be announced in the papers in advance.

Marriage Processions: As most fellow bhpians mentioned, its a big day in ones life which comes once in a lifetime. This is the flavor of India. So, Lets wish them and de-tour, if there is no detour, we can request the folks to make way to pass (Atleast in case of emergency), Am sure most of them will understand and will not be in a mood to create any nuisance.

Last edited by 2500cc : 25th April 2012 at 13:10.
Old 25th April 2012, 14:14   #20
Senior - BHPian

It is not just the road blocks due to the marriage procession but even at the Marriage halls area where too many parkings spill on the road thereby narrowing the 2 lane into a single lane and eventually triggers the traffic jam build up.

Do the marriage procession require any kind of permit or letter to take the procession. I know for sure religious procession to a certain extent are accompanied by cops (not traffic cops though) which helps in maintaining the traffic from going out of hand.

Understandably, Indian cultures do call for such celebrations but inconviniencing others in the process is surely not called for. The one thing I hate to read in the newspapers is the traffic blockade due to the President/Prime Minister's entourage, taking public time for granted.
ghodlur is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2012, 17:48   #21
BANNED

I bet 99.99% of people in INDIA are not at any inconvenience due to marriage processions. These processions last only a few minutes to cause any inconvenience. Almost every individual has been a part of this ritual in his lifetime, and have been cherishing our moment. Its sad that we are making fun of such a wonderful ritual

I would rather live with the INDIAN'ness than behave like a Firang who always has problems with the country he lives in.

We are going

Lets limit our discussions to Wedding Processions on roads.

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 25th April 2012 at 17:49.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2012, 18:06   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
I bet 99.99% of people in INDIA are not at any inconvenience due to marriage processions. These processions last only a few minutes to cause any inconvenience. Almost every individual has been a part of this ritual in his lifetime, and have been cherishing our moment. Its sad that we are making fun of such a wonderful ritual

I would rather live with the INDIAN'ness than behave like a Firang who always has problems with the country he lives in.

Lets limit our discussions to Wedding Processions on roads.
Indeed. It's a ritual of a lifetime - but one must understand that it MUST revolve around the lifetime of the bride's or groom's or their families's. Not at the expense of the peace of mind and convenience of other road users!

I live in the vicinity of Viveknagar in Bangalore. Not sure whether you are familiar with the area, but road BLOCKADES are a common thing around here passing only two-wheelers at times because 85% of the 18ft wide road approx is already blocked for the function, with a stage, and chairs, and what not ! I do take your point of 'solpa adjust maadi' and that's what I've always done murmuring to myself.
BUT, there was this one time when some dude and his family decided to block the entire 100% of the road leaving no space for bikes to pass by at all. Forget about cars (they had to backup a whole 150metres for a detour) I waved a hand signalling, "what the heck??". What followed immediately was FUNNY... two supposedly gunda-looking schmucks rush towards me hurling some 'SWEET' words asking me what the problem was, and ordering me to take a detour. And I did! helplessly.

NOW, tell me whether this is a signal of 'adjust maadi'. NO !
Old 25th April 2012, 18:24   #23
BHPian

It's not only marriage but other kinds of religious processions also cause
nuisance.

In my view, it is incorrect to hold so many people for ransom for one's private
or religious celebrations.

E.g. a Palkhi procession in Pune that happens every year - a great devotional
tradition, no intention to criticize it. But is it right to close some of the
major roads in the city for several hours for that? Can't it be routed in such
a way that the city doesn't come to a standstill?

Some schools give holidays for 2/3 consecutive days (as procession is in
multiple different sections) in our area as school buses don't ply.

Some private companies adjust their schedules, work over weekend and take a
holiday on that day etc.

People who don't know about all this and set out for normal office going get
stuck and walk for miles to reach the office.

Is all this alright? Imagine someone requiring urgent medical attention not
receiving it due to such situations?
Old 25th April 2012, 19:33   #24
Senior - BHPian

I think the fact that we will continue to use our roads for processions/functions etc cannot be changed. However, what can be changed is prior notice. Unless it is a funeral procession, most other processions are pre planned. It must be imposed as a rule that the organizers put necessary signs suggesting detours to motorists when they are going to have a blockade for some functions. Am sure it won't add much to the budget of the wedding or whatever else to put some signs at appropriate points.
Old 25th April 2012, 20:44   #25
BHPian

An important topic. Yes, celebrations such as wedding processions, religious processions, political gatherings, etc. are required and I understand that the people concerned really enjoy that. However, what I don't understand is why are they becoming public nuisance to people who are nowhere related to the particular celebration? Okay, once in a while I can be late to office / miss an important meeting, etc.

But as someone already pointed out, what about emergency vehicles that have to pass through the route in which such a procession is conducted? Actually I have such an experience. Due to a religious procession, the roads were blocked. An ambulance that came by had a very tough time taking a U-turn because of vehicles blocking both the lanes (in the same direction!) - that Ambulance may have taken a detour or would have gone to some other hospitals. I am sure they have lost a good 30-40 minutes in the entire process. Beginning of end to the hopes of many people in the ambulance!

I am sure I will be criticized big time for this, but can't resist - I feel any such public processions, be it wedding, religious, political, should be BANNED if it brings public nuisance at a serious level. The Indian-ness cannot be at the cost of others' lives and emergencies. I mean, there is a limit to the amount of public inconveniences caused just for your own enjoyment.
devansn is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th April 2012, 22:16   #26
Team-BHP Support

Oh yes, menace indeed.

I was a part of a marriage procession for the first time last week and whatever enjoyment I hoped to have/had was completely overshadowed by the inconvenience the procession was causing vehicular traffic.

For some reason, I haven't been blocked by many such processions while in Pune but this definitely is a big thing up north.

And it's not just wedding processions. Processions for the departed, carrying idols etc. are just as big a menace.

But please do NOT dare raise a complaint against all such things; because, it is a part of our royal culture and heritage! :P
Old 25th April 2012, 22:33   #27
Senior - BHPian

Yeah, so delhiites would know this place called modinagar. Now the highway STILl goes through it and for god's sake there's a piddly 1.5 lane bridge in the middle. Come any marriage or religious day and you have 3+ hour jams there.

This kinda stuff is unmanageable. You can't do anything man.
Old 25th April 2012, 22:46   #28
BHPian

Wedding processions are one thing. Even worse is where there are small interconnecting roads, someone is having a wedding or some function and conveniently puts up a shamiana in front of his house and blocks up the entire road. Converting the road into a private function hall.

Is this legal ? or do they even get an approval to do such things ?
Old 25th April 2012, 23:06   #29
Senior - BHPian

This (somewhat similar) is a hot topic in Kerala where the High Court has declared holding of public meetings, demonstrations and processions on roadsides as unconstitutional. Roadside demos unconstitutional: Kerala HC

However, the state govt. and the opposition has not digested this and the govt. was caught by the Supreme Court trying to make amendments to this rule- Supreme Court pulls up the Kerala government for enacting laws to negate judgments
Quote:
The Supreme Court said that Kerala is the only state in the country where the state tells its citizens not to obey the law
Old 25th April 2012, 23:15   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by madnish30 View Post
Inquisitive here, what was the cause for this roadblock? 10kms is a very long distance for a jam to spread over, I assume it must be something serious.
Electricity.

I wouldn't fret if they lock up the electricity board or the power grid, but why bother road travelers?

Protest in front of DM's, MP's or who ever should solve your problem.

Common causes for road-block here is accident, murder (or some similar heinous crime), electricity tops the list though.

Religious processions are once every year with designated time, route. Immersion of idols is a bit of menace IMHO.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks