Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2012, 23:21   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Electricity.

I wouldn't fret if they lock up the electricity board or the power grid, but why bother road travelers?

Protest in front of DM's, MP's or who ever should solve your problem.

Common causes for road-block here is accident, murder (or some similar heinous crime), electricity tops the list though.

Religious processions are once every year with designated time, route. Immersion of idols is a bit of menace IMHO.
Well, protests are part of a democratic setup... Can't clamp down on that, they cause a lot of trouble, loss of time and money - but there is not much which can be done.

Same with religious processions, nobody will take the chance of clearing one - can lead to dreadful consequences if a bunch on sensitive people get infuriated and make it a civil issue.
Old 25th April 2012, 23:24   #32
Team-BHP Support

Re: Wedding processions on roads: A Menace!

Quote:
Originally Posted by madnish30 View Post
Well, protests are part of a democratic setup... Can't clamp down on that, they cause a lot of trouble, loss of time and money - but there is not much which can be done.
Been to West Bengal during a blockade/bandh? Not a soul stirs. Even ambulances are flagged down to check as to whether they are carrying patients (in critical condition or not)

Peaceful protests infront of folks concerned is okay, but out on road... sorry, but I do not support this.

Last edited by Sheel : 25th April 2012 at 23:26.
Old 26th April 2012, 00:17   #33
Team-BHP Support

A wedding procession consisting of 200 people, versus the cops. Who's going to win that?

Thing is, you're in India. Things like these happen every day. It's a part of our rich culture and heritage. Sometimes, it may come in the way of our daily routine and life, but we must learn to take it in our stride and move on. There is no point in trying to change it. In fact, I'd rather say, "learn to enjoy it"

When foreigners come to our country, they're mesmerized by all this. They say that they'd love a little excitement in their lives. It's something they don't see AT ALL anywhere else in the World. And when they see it happen here, they love it! They love the mayhem and chaos. The vibrancy and the life.

But we Indians seem to hate it. Why? It's simply the case of, "you don't know what you've got until its gone"

We might loathe it now, but there might come a time when life becomes boring on the roads, and we might want it back again.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2012, 00:25   #34
BHPian

Hi everybody.
Every right has a corresponding duty.
Unfortunately it is becoming difficult to have your right(in this case a clear road) when the procession infringes on it.The people in the procession have a right to their celeberation but is that a licence not to have a duty so that others are not inconvenienced.
Fortunately in Bombay we do not see many marriage baraats like in north India
Regards
Old 26th April 2012, 00:31   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Been to West Bengal during a blockade/bandh? Not a soul stirs. Even ambulances are flagged down to check as to whether they are carrying patients (in critical condition or not)

Peaceful protests infront of folks concerned is okay, but out on road... sorry, but I do not support this.
Of course there will be fanatics and idiots who will take things and law in their own hands - so much so that even critical patients have to suffer.

But generally good sense and humanity prevails, at least during an emergency.
Old 26th April 2012, 13:06   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Thing is, you're in India. Things like these happen every day. It's a part of our rich culture and heritage. Sometimes, it may come in the way of our daily routine and life, but we must learn to take it in our stride and move on. There is no point in trying to change it. In fact, I'd rather say, "learn to enjoy it"
Agreed to a large extend. But the thing is, it is fun as long as its only just an inconvenience to you. But what if there is a more critical emergency situation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by madnish30 View Post
Of course there will be fanatics and idiots who will take things and law in their own hands - so much so that even critical patients have to suffer.

But generally good sense and humanity prevails, at least during an emergency.
But the traffic blockades due to these processions are most of the times uncontrollable. Even the people who are responsible for the processions cannot control the traffic. Yes, humanity may prevail and somehow they may make way for ambulances to pass. But the time lost in the process may be the deciding factor for the patient's life / death. I have witnessed such a situation - in my yesterday's post.

So I think its always better to make sure that someone's enjoyment is not an inconvenience / nuisance / deciding factor in life-death scenarios. The only way we can make sure that is, absolutely NO processions on public roads, causing inconveniences to people - you never know if someone is dying because of that or is just missing the first 10 minutes of a movie.
devansn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2012, 14:07   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by devansn View Post
Agreed to a large extend. But the thing is, it is fun as long as its only just an inconvenience to you. But what if there is a more critical emergency situation?
I agree with you. At the cost of life, it's never the right thing. I mean, people should understand that when there are lives at stake, they should be more courteous. What if they were in the same position?

But unfortunately, this is something we can only blog about. If we're stuck in the situation, we just have to learn to deal with it, and pray that someone who needs medical attention isn't caught in the fiasco.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2012, 14:31   #38
BHPian

Quote:
When foreigners come to our country, they're mesmerized by all this. They say that they'd love a little excitement in their lives. It's something they don't see AT ALL anywhere else in the World. And when they see it happen here, they love it! They love the mayhem and chaos. The vibrancy and the life.
The foreigners who come here are all on a 'vacation' and have no urgency or 'duty to attend' to. But the Indians who are all inconvenienced by these blockades are office goers who have to reach in time, a courier who has to finish 'n' number of trips in a day, etc, etc
If the same procession happens on a holiday 'Indians' too would enjoy it. Trying to justify processions which are from an era when road traffic was non-existent, is a bit harsh on the current generation of road users.

Off-Topic: Have you seen processions for dead street dogs? It happens sometimes in the roads adjoining slums here in Chennai, conducted by un-employed youth for 'fun'. Now how do we justify that? Another big menace in Chennai is the Bus-Day processions by college students who block the entire road and indulge in eve teasing. Thankfully Madras High Court has recently ordered the Police not to allow Bus-Day celebrations.

Last edited by Daewood : 26th April 2012 at 14:39.
Daewood is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2012, 14:31   #39
BHPian

Quote:
I agree with you. At the cost of life, it's never the right thing. I mean, people should understand that when there are lives at stake, they should be more courteous. What if they were in the same position?

But unfortunately, this is something we can only blog about. If we're stuck in the situation, we just have to learn to deal with it, and pray that someone who needs medical attention isn't caught in the fiasco.
My point is, if the procession is conducted in a place that common man has right to use, it MUST NOT BE conducted. Period. Reason being that there is absolutely no way to assess what is the kind of inconvenience / fatality this would cause to many. So better, stop it altogether. Better we learn to cherish the memories of a wedding procession inside a private property and NOT on public roads.

The impossibility of banning these on public properties starts with people like us admitting that nothing can be done. I strongly believe that when more people start thinking that it is possible, these menaces will start becoming history.

And I do not think that Indian heritage and culture will be preserved only by having wedding processions or other religious processions on public roads. I mean Indian heritage is not such a silly thing that would go away just because we stop public nuisance. Rituals that were once considered a MUST by most of our ancestors are history now - Sati, child marriages. People of that era could not even imagine a situation otherwise - like "how can widows be alive?!".
devansn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2012, 14:35   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

So we are ready to suffer in order to preserve this lawlessness? We get used to breaking laws so much in India that now we have started to even consider it the only way possible. Blocking roads in the disguise of celebrations etc is just illegal and its sad that we are even advocating to continue living with it.

The day you miss a flight, a train, or a medical emergency and are stuck in traffic because of our so called beloved society sponsored hooliganism, we will find ourselves regretting on our decision. By "You" I do not mean you literally and hope none of us ever gets in such a situation.
drmohitg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th April 2012, 14:47   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
The foreigners who come here are all on a 'vacation' and have no urgency or 'duty to attend' to. But the Indians who are all inconvenienced by these blockades are office goers who have to reach in time, a courier who has to finish 'n' number of trips in a day, etc, etc
If the same procession happens on a holiday 'Indians' too would enjoy it. Trying to justify processions which are from an era, when road traffic was non-existent is a bit harsh on the current generation of road users.
I was actually referring to my father's ex-seniors who were expats. They worked with him and even car-pooled often. They've been around for years here.

Not really trying to justify it. But I'm looking at it from a different perspective. For more, read below..

Quote:
Originally Posted by devansn View Post
My point is, if the procession is conducted in a place that common man has right to use, it MUST NOT BE conducted. Period. Reason being that there is absolutely no way to assess what is the kind of inconvenience / fatality this would cause to many. So better, stop it altogether. Better we learn to cherish the memories of a wedding procession inside a private property and NOT on public roads.

The impossibility of banning these on public properties starts with people like us admitting that nothing can be done. I strongly believe that when more people start thinking that it is possible, these menaces will start becoming history.

And I do not think that Indian heritage and culture will be preserved only by having wedding processions or other religious processions on public roads. I mean Indian heritage is not such a silly thing that would go away just because we stop public nuisance. Rituals that were once considered a MUST by most of our ancestors are history now - Sati, child marriages. People of that era could not even imagine a situation otherwise - like "how can widows be alive?!".
Fair point, fellow member.

Problem is, it is wired in our systems to act in this way. People, however educated, believe in this country that it is their birth-right to carry out processions, even if it inconveniences someone. I've borne the brunt of such things. But in a country full of people who are overtly sensitive about communalism and regionalism, it's often hard to come to a consensus and arrive at a common ground.

The cops unfortunately have no real say in this. And some 'under-the-table' hanky-panky is inevitably done.

We as citizens can unite and show them the right path, but the right path according to us, may not be the right path according to them. There are always some conflict of views.

What I have understood is, upbringing has a lot to do with it. Nipping it in the bud is the only real solution here. Parents of children must be sensible enough to instill some common-sense into their children.

I see a middle-aged man making his 5 year old son sit on the tank, while he rides his two-wheeler into the path of on-coming traffic. Helmet-less. The kid is going to learn that it is absolutely right and nothing wrong with doing that.

Of course, we have exceptions there too. Where the kid will possibly learn the hard way, or somehow 'have' the sense if he opens his eyes.

I believe that it will take some time before things change for the good. A lot of time, in my opinion. It can't happen overnight, or even in the next 10 years. But it will happen, hopefully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
So we are ready to suffer in order to preserve this lawlessness? We get used to breaking laws so much in India that now we have started to even consider it the only way possible. Blocking roads in the disguise of celebrations etc is just illegal and its sad that we are even advocating to continue living with it.

The day you miss a flight, a train, or a medical emergency and are stuck in traffic because of our so called beloved society sponsored hooliganism, we will find ourselves regretting on our decision. By "You" I do not mean you literally and hope none of us ever gets in such a situation.
It's unfortunate, isn't it. When one follows traffic laws like stopping at red-lights, maintaining lane-discipline, etc, and watch 20 other vehicles blatantly breaking rules on the road, it's frustrating and sometimes we look like idiots for following rules. But I'd say, stick to following rules. And I urge everyone else to do the same.

Don't be mistake, I'm in no way justifying these processions. I'm only saying, hope for the best and hope that in the near future, people understand that they're created a rut for themselves to live in.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 26th April 2012 at 15:01. Reason: added extra
Old 26th April 2012, 14:52   #42
BHPian

I live diagonally opposite a school ground which is let out for marriages every weekend. That itself is illegal (grounds cannot be used for commercial purposes, it is to be used either by the school or by the residents during non school hours). The lane has a single entry and exit point. there are multiple problems that we residents face because of this
We have to bear the brunt of this not only for the weekend but for the entire week when the decorators bring their stuff for the setup.
Vehicular movement for the decorations is at its peak on the previous night
During the weekend it is difficult to take our vehicles out as if we do that we will never be able to enter our lane again till the marriage is over.
Speeding of vehicles on a lane which is just 20 ft wide causing panic to the residents and even more to the kids who live there
The worst is when the newly weds leave the venue the band is playing music really loud and this usually happens really late in the night around 11:30 or 12:00. It really becomes difficult to sleep for both adults and kids alike.
No amount of complaining to the cops helps as they dont act and instead ask us to adjust. It is fine if it happens occasionally but really gets to the nerves if it is a regular feature during the marriage season.
We residents have started parking our cars in a manner where only cars can pass and not trucks or goods carrier to get the attention of the authorities. The last time it ended up in an argument with the marriage event organizer. We just got to wait and see how things shape up in the future
Apologies for a long post
Old 26th April 2012, 15:03   #43
BANNED

A perverse thought. Let the chaps messing up the traffic get stuck in a procession when they are trying to catch a train or flight; or (even more perverse) when they need to get someone to hospital in a hurry.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2012, 16:08   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
A perverse thought. Let the chaps messing up the traffic get stuck in a procession when they are trying to catch a train or flight; or (even more perverse) when they need to get someone to hospital in a hurry.
We love to change sides as it suits us with a lot of ease. The same guy celebrating today and causing nuisance to others would be happily grumbling on public forums when he is on the wrong side of this fiasco.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2012, 17:02   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by macbeth View Post
No amount of complaining to the cops helps as they dont act and instead ask us to adjust.
Have you tried filing an RTI for this? I don't know how to go about it, but worth exploring. An RTI to the traffic commissioner as to why this nuisance is being entertained?

Quote:
Problem is, it is wired in our systems to act in this way. People, however educated, believe in this country that it is their birth-right to carry out processions, even if it inconveniences someone. I've borne the brunt of such things. But in a country full of people who are overtly sensitive about communalism and regionalism, it's often hard to come to a consensus and arrive at a common ground.
Yes, the religious and communal extremists are growing day by day and this unwelcome thing is getting into (especially) people who were born in the late seventies and later in such an alarming rate. Can you believe, there were even arguments in Kerala ministry on how to divide the number of ministers based on caste / religion! Religion has become such an explosive thing these days that it is the most easy weapon that can be used for political and monetary manipulations! Sad that the so called education system doesn't bring any value...

Quote:
The cops unfortunately have no real say in this. And some 'under-the-table' hanky-panky is inevitably done.

We as citizens can unite and show them the right path, but the right path according to us, may not be the right path according to them. There are always some conflict of views.

What I have understood is, upbringing has a lot to do with it. Nipping it in the bud is the only real solution here. Parents of children must be sensible enough to instill some common-sense into their children.

I see a middle-aged man making his 5 year old son sit on the tank, while he rides his two-wheeler into the path of on-coming traffic. Helmet-less. The kid is going to learn that it is absolutely right and nothing wrong with doing that.
Right. What comes to my mind is an advertisement - a biker fooling the traffic cops by wearing a watermelon shell as helmet. See how this attitude of breaking law gets inculcated? For elders it may not mean anything, just another funny advertisement, but the kids will learn that breaking law is an indication of smartness!

Quote:
Of course, we have exceptions there too. Where the kid will possibly learn the hard way, or somehow 'have' the sense if he opens his eyes.

I believe that it will take some time before things change for the good. A lot of time, in my opinion. It can't happen overnight, or even in the next 10 years. But it will happen, hopefully.

It's unfortunate, isn't it. When one follows traffic laws like stopping at red-lights, maintaining lane-discipline, etc, and watch 20 other vehicles blatantly breaking rules on the road, it's frustrating and sometimes we look like idiots for following rules. But I'd say, stick to following rules. And I urge everyone else to do the same.

Don't be mistake, I'm in no way justifying these processions. I'm only saying, hope for the best and hope that in the near future, people understand that they're created a rut for themselves to live in.
I think if we wish there should be a change, we MUST start opposing and questioning these - straight from our dear and near ones - strongly.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 26th April 2012 at 17:20. Reason: Please avoid adding bold tags and replying within quoted posts. It may confuse some members. Thanks :)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks