Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2012, 10:36   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: WATCH OUT!!.. For pedestrians crossing the road from the blind side of a parked b

This is always a problem especially on highways or free roads as the speeds that you do are higher and takes time to stop. What @Condor said makes sense but in certain cases one will not be able to make out between the wheels, hence its always better to slow down and pass the bus and then accelerate.

What has worked for me most of the times is honk consistently (I know its irritating but safety comes first) letting the passers know that there is a car coming and at the same time slow down to safe braking speeds.
Old 3rd May 2012, 10:47   #17
BHPian

Re: WATCH OUT!!.. For pedestrians crossing the road from the blind side of a parked b

This is so sad. But one really cannot blame pedestrians trying to reach their destinations as fast as possible thanks to erratic bus schedules in our country. I mean, god knows when the next bus will come so one tends to rush.

Having said that, for a motorist dealing with them is a nightmare. Even more so if you are a biker. For a biker there are only two places to go in such a situation, to the oncoming traffic from other side or crash into bus/pedestrians. In either situation the onlookers will blame only the crashed rider

I usually honk while crossing all big vehicles (bus/lorry/trailers) even if they are parked. Because its not only pedestrians but sometimes autos, bikes and cycles see the bus stopped at a bus stop as the perfect opportunity to start taking a U-turn . After a couple of close calls, I always overtake parked bus/lorries under the assumption that somebody will pop out of the blind spot at the last minute. Honking + Anticipation does work for me.
Old 3rd May 2012, 13:37   #18
Senior - BHPian

Pedestrians are also road users. One of the unwritten(?) rules of the road - correction, rules of survival - is that you must make yourself visible to other road users.
I have had way too many near misses with blind-side pedestrians, so I am always extra watchful when passing stopped vehicles.

The following scenario happens to me all the time, and I have never managed to educate people to do otherwise no matter how much I try. Even my own family .
So lets say I have stopped on the left side of the road, and the passenger has got down and wants to cross the road. I need to continue ahead. There are no other vehicles parked on the road. Logically, the person who got down should attempt to cross the road from behind my car. 99% of the time, they try and cross the road from in front of it. Thus becoming the "pedestrian on the blind side" that we are so careful about (and others might not be).

Last edited by KiloAlpha : 3rd May 2012 at 13:38. Reason: clarity
Old 4th May 2012, 16:48   #19
Senior - BHPian

The old uncle who taught me driving always insisted that I slow down and watch if there is a bus stopped ahead of me (and in Kerala, on either side of the road as most are undivided roads). I have that habit in me now, thanks to him.
Old 4th May 2012, 18:35   #20
Senior - BHPian

Even though I've never came across such an issue ever before, I've always instinctively slowed down and made it a point to check the blind side before overtaking a parked bus/CVs. Maybe because I am well aware of the bad road manners and negligent behavior of Indian pedestrians. Reading this post has evoked me to be more vigil while doing so.

As the advert goes, "The roads are filled with idiots"
Old 4th May 2012, 18:56   #21
BHPian

It would be great if any team-bhpian is an into animation. There is no better way to do it other than short animated clips.

Couple of years ago, i was driving through a village. On an instinct I slowed to a crawl near a bus that had just stopped to the left. And I happened to honk as I neared the bus, but regardless of this an old chap comes running onto the road from the blind side of the bus. But the timing of my honking just maybe saved me, he stopped dead on his tracks, I was so lucky that day. My grandma gave him an earful, and he was smiling !!

Last edited by Blue_V : 4th May 2012 at 18:59.
Old 20th April 2013, 13:22   #22
BHPian

My friend had a similar experience with his Activa. A careless man crossed the road from behind a parked bus and my friend in his Activa who was in front of me(I was in my bike behind him) brushed past him from the right. But the guy collapsed immediately holding his shin. Apparently, the part of the side stand which we use to push hit his shin so hard that we later found out it was bent and was almost parellel to the side stand itself!

The encircled part is what hit the pedestrian's leg
WATCH OUT!!.. For pedestrians crossing the road from the blind side of a parked bus.-thcaacj233.jpg
Old 20th April 2013, 15:50   #23
Senior - BHPian

I too faced a similar situation - a man holding a plastic can started to cross a road from the front of a stationary bus which I was just about to pass. I was at about 15 kmph, honking. I observed the pair of legs from the under side of the bus, so I was extra careful. The man was indifferent to my honking or my presence. I braked but the bumper touched the can. A dozen or so onlookers started crowding me and started shouting. I was quite agitated and started arguing. Then I smelled the illegal country liquor oozing out of the hairline crack. The crowd noticed that I had noticed the liquor and suddenly disappeared. The drunk man too vanished.
Old 20th April 2013, 23:43   #24
BANNED

This problem is faced all over and nothing much can be done.

Worst is during office and college timings where the RTC buses are used the most. People just get down and start crossing. I mean waiting for a minute till the bus leaves the bus bay is not going to get the heavens down and once the bus leaves it is clear to see that what is on the road and later proceed to cross.

I have seen many pedestrians and bus users (specially ladies) who get down from the front door and cross from the front by jumping onto the centre of road.

Anurag.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks