Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2012, 16:38   #1
Senior - BHPian

Beware of Petrol Thefts from Your Bikes Parked at Delhi Metro Stations!

I hardly use Delhi Metro, in fact I used this mode of transport after several months because of the on going drive of removal of sun films.

In the morning I filled 14 Liters of petrol in my Karizma and the indicator was showing full status as usual. The first bar drops only after crossing 80-100 KMs. I parked my bike at the Rithala metro station in the morning @ 7:30 AM (My house is just 3 KMs away from Rithala Metro station) and went to Defence colony to meet a friend via Delhi Metro. After returning in afternoon I took my bike out of the parking lot and noticed that fuel indicator is showing one bar less and trip meter is showing only 4.5 KMs. I was shocked as I thought there is a leakage etc, but upon inspecting the bike on reaching home I noticed that the guys at parking lot had removed the petrol pipe from the carburetor and stolen more than 1.5 liter of petrol (I am sure because the first bar drops only after 80-100KMs and my bike's average is 38-42KMPL). Now I know why that person was asking me for how long I am parking my bike there!

Once I thought of going back to parking spot and fight with the boys there but dropped the idea as nothing would be achieved even if I give them couple of blows!

I am thinking of all those poor fellows who save money by traveling in crazy Delhi metro and park their bikes in parking lots and these people stole many liters of petrol everyday! No value of someone's hard earned money, Really shameful!

Guys be careful while parking your bike at any metro station/parking lots etc. Is there any way by which I can prevent such theft in future?

Last edited by bluevolt : 6th May 2012 at 16:55.
bluevolt is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th May 2012, 18:11   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Beware of Petrol Thefts from Your Bikes Parked at Delhi Metro Stations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Guys be careful while parking your bike at any metro station/parking lots etc. Is there any way by which I can prevent such theft in future?
Such thefts happen in almost all public parking in Bus stations,railway stations etc.Why don't you fix a fuel lock ?

Last edited by n_aditya : 7th May 2012 at 11:18. Reason: quoted text shortened, please avoid quoting full posts
Old 6th May 2012, 18:48   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Why don't you fix a fuel lock ?
Yes, I will do that now. It hardly costs few hundred rupees and will make me tension free thereafter.

There are over 100s of bikes parked in that parking lot daily, they must be making good money by stealing petrol!
Old 6th May 2012, 18:49   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Such thefts happen in almost all public parking in Bus stations,railway stations etc.
well i beg to differ here. My in-law travels to Mysore everyday for his job leaving his bike at the railway station. He hasnt complained even once of any incident like this or i dont know if he has been lucky all these years

however, a fuel lock may de-motivate the guys wanting to do this bad stuff unless a determined guy decides to unscrew the fuel lock, take his share of petrol & put the lock back in place.

Last edited by nandans2005 : 6th May 2012 at 18:50.
Old 6th May 2012, 20:02   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt

Yes, I will do that now. It hardly costs few hundred rupees and will make me tension free thereafter.

There are over 100s of bikes parked in that parking lot daily, they must be making good money by stealing petrol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandans2005

well i beg to differ here. My in-law travels to Mysore everyday for his job leaving his bike at the railway station. He hasnt complained even once of any incident like this or i dont know if he has been lucky all these years

however, a fuel lock may de-motivate the guys wanting to do this bad stuff unless a determined guy decides to unscrew the fuel lock, take his share of petrol & put the lock back in place.
I said in ALMOST all places. It could be that there are no such things in mysore or it could also be that he was plain lucky. But here in Bangalore there is this activity in the railway station.

The position where the vehicle is parked also matters. Secluded locations are more prone to such activities because of less people movement.
Old 6th May 2012, 21:20   #6
BHPian

It happened for me also. Twice they took petrol from my bike. Thief was kind enough to put the regulator in reserve mode and take petrol so that i was able to go till petrol pump. Put a petrol lock and no issues so far.
devil_klm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2012, 10:32   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Is there any way by which I can prevent such theft in future?
Fit a fuel lock. I'm surprised you haven't done that yet.

Make sure you fit a good quality fuel lock (the price varies according to brand); the cheap ones are like Chinese locks - one key fits all locks.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2012, 11:17   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am thinking of all those poor fellows who save money by traveling in crazy Delhi metro and park their bikes in parking lots and these people stole many liters of petrol everyday! No value of someone's hard earned money, Really shameful!
There is absolutely no respite for the common man today, be it from insane amount of taxes, corruption or outright robbery like mentioned above.

Quote:
Is there any way by which I can prevent such theft in future?
In addition to a fuel lock like others have mentioned, do buy a motion/shock sensing alarm lock (disc lock alarm) which will scare away potential thieves from your bike in such places. Moreover in secluded places it takes only a couple of mins to lift the bike and dump it in a cargo auto or van and in such incidents a disc lock alarm may prove to be useful in botching their theft attempt.
n_aditya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th May 2012, 11:27   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
In addition to a fuel lock like others have mentioned, do buy a motion/shock sensing alarm lock (disc lock alarm) which will scare away potential thieves from your bike in such places. Moreover in secluded places it takes only a couple of mins to lift the bike and dump it in a cargo auto or van and in such incidents a disc lock alarm may prove to be useful in botching their theft attempt.
But aren't these alarms very prone to setting off whenever someone touches the bike (which is invariably going to happen every now and then in a crowded parking lot), dogs barking, other bikes touching the bike etc.

So, if this keeps happening for 8hrs everyday, it's bound to drain the battery, right?
Old 7th May 2012, 11:35   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
But aren't these alarms very prone to setting off whenever someone touches the bike (which is invariably going to happen every now and then in a crowded parking lot), dogs barking, other bikes touching the bike etc.

So, if this keeps happening for 8hrs everyday, it's bound to drain the battery, right?
The disc alarm lock can be placed at a lower point on the disc rotor to reduce its sensitivity to shocks and movements.
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2012, 11:37   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Also, the fact that noone actually bothers on hearing such alarms these days makes it a wasteful exercise. It is better off to just install a fuel lock.
benbsb29 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2012, 11:42   #12
Senior - BHPian

@bluevolt,

As suggested by BHPians, prevention is better than the cure, fuel lock is the right choice in this situation. However request you to bring to the notice of the parking authorities about the theft, this will atleast keep the thefts at bay if not completely reduce it. I guess nobody must have noticed till date, hence the fuel thieves are having a field day. The day somebody complains, the frequency of theft would reduce.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2012, 13:31   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Fit a fuel lock.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
fuel lock is the right choice in this situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
It is better off to just install a fuel lock.
Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
In addition to a fuel lock like others have mentioned, do buy a motion/shock sensing alarm lock (disc lock alarm) which will scare away potential thieves from your bike in such places.
Thanks, I will install a good quality fuel lock ASAP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
However request you to bring to the notice of the parking authorities about the theft, this will atleast keep the thefts at bay if not completely reduce it.
There are just 2-3 men (Age 20-25) with slips in there hands. I don't know who approved them to work for Metro parking.
Never tell the parking boys for how long your are parking your bike/car as I told them that I will come only in afternoon.

Quote:
I'm surprised you haven't done that yet.
Yup my bad, I should have done this earlier to prevent the fuel theft. I would have not recognized this as a theft if the fuel tank was not full, may be this has happened earlier also and I was not able to detect this theft.

Last edited by bluevolt : 7th May 2012 at 13:32.
Old 8th May 2012, 20:26   #14
BHPian

Quote:
It could be that there are no such things in mysore or it could also be that he was plain lucky. But here in Bangalore there is this activity in the railway station.

The position where the vehicle is parked also matters. Secluded locations are more prone to such activities because of less people movement.
well sagar, we both are born & brought in Bangalore. Please go through my post again. It's not in mysore, its in Bangalore station. He travels from Bangalore to Mysore & not vice versa.

Sometimes, he takes the bus too from Satellite bus station on mysore road. Not even once he has seen anything like this happening with his bike. I did even confirm with him last night. He says none.

i rest my case here.
nandans2005 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2012, 20:39   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandans2005 View Post
well sagar, we both are born & brought in Bangalore. Please go through my post again. It's not in mysore, its in Bangalore station. He travels from Bangalore to Mysore & not vice versa.

Sometimes, he takes the bus too from Satellite bus station on mysore road. Not even once he has seen anything like this happening with his bike. I did even confirm with him last night. He says none.

i rest my case here.
I stand corrected. I didn't read your post properly.

My cousin has experienced this petrol theft in bangalore railway station 3 times.Infact once,they had not plugged the fuel line back properly because of which the tank was almost empty with fuel dripping in the parking lot!

I can vouch for satellite station.Its pretty safe for parking!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks