Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2012, 23:19   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: 6000Kms in 79 Hours! Limca Book of Records attempt in a Fiat Punto

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Phrangmung View Post
Atleast people who try these kind of endurence drive are responsible chaps unlike the taxi bus yamdoots.
I have friends who are into such events. I am not saying that they are irresponsible chaps. I go for long distance rides with them and know that they are nice, responsible guys who care for others.

The issue I find with such events is that they push themselves on the road without adequate rest, risking their life as well as others. A friend recently attempted Saddle Sore (1600 km in 24 hrs) and hit median at high speed. He narrowly escaped from landing beneath a truck coming from the other side. This happened because he was tired, lost concentration and everything happened in fraction of a second. Is he a good rider, oh Yes! His reasoning for attempting this feat at high speeds without adequate rest - It is a challenge. Others have done it, I can do it.

I am just sharing my opinion. To each its own.
PatienceWins is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th May 2012, 23:28   #32
BHPian

@ Patience :
Definately, one should know his limit. Its better to stop rest and leave it for another day if the body gives up.

Guess as long as one does not chase something others have done but slowly improves upon their own, its safer for all.

One going after such record should not think that its the end of the world if he has to stop midway and give up, its nicer to be back with the family.

Just take one step at a time and lets all be safe, record or no record. :-)

Last edited by San Phrangmung : 19th May 2012 at 23:31.
Old 19th May 2012, 23:31   #33
Senior - BHPian

The best way to set these kind of records will be to hire the Budh circuit and do the required number of laps non-stop. Then nobody will be endangered.

I will hate to think while driving with my family on the highway, that someone attempting a record might try to pass me in a hurry.
Gansan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th May 2012, 23:50   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
Come on guys, please don't equate these personal adventure sports to driving on our roads clocking 150+kmph. Even the driver, car and the roads can take the challenge, there are other elements on our roads. Personal risks are different from risking other road users.
Hey, you didn't get my point, i am not equating or comparing them, my point simply is - Risk is present everywhere, even if you are standing stationary or while driving fast .

Bad things can happen anytime, anywhere, irrespective of any thing . We should read this in correct spirit.

Both of the guys who did it, must be aware of their abilities, then only they must have done, this drive .

I am quoting hv sir's post here, very aptly said

Quote:
You read the good and the bad - although what one persons perceives to be bad may not be so bad after all.

Others will emulate - yes, they will, but I am sure they will also be mature enough to debate things in their own mind, and not simply do something senseless beyond their abilities just because someone has done something! That would be to denigrate their intelligence and assume that people simply ape whatever is done by another. Definitely, there will be some who will try to excel or beat the other, that is after all the essence of competition.
Cheers
Sameer
sameerg001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2012, 00:05   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg001 View Post
Risk is present everywhere, even if you are standing stationary or while driving fast .

Bad things can happen anytime, anywhere, irrespective of any thing . We should read this in correct spirit.

Both of the guys who did it, must be aware of their abilities, then only they must have done, this drive .
No issues if they had planned the drive with provision for sleep and rest. Then it would have been safe, and confidence in one's ability. I have not much issues with their speed - but speed + lack of sleep? Confidence that one can drive non-stop without sleep - is that confidence?
Old 20th May 2012, 00:06   #36
BHPian

@ Ganesan : When i see teenage irrisponsible bikers in our city roads, i feel the same. Go do it at the proper place.

But in this particular case i believe it was not about speed but more of a personal endurence.
Old 20th May 2012, 00:09   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
No issues if they had planned the drive with provision for sleep and rest. Then it would have been safe, and confidence in one's ability. I have not much issues with their speed - but speed + lack of sleep? Confidence that one can drive non-stop without sleep - is that confidence?

Sorry for the analogy, but then drivers who go on the road after a few drinks are pretty confident of their ability too!
One sleep, while one drives, so IMO it's manageable .

Even i've seen some people who can drive non-stop for more then 20 hours, so while one sleeps of 6 hours, other one drives, and vice versa .

I guess 6 hours sleep is enough to make this kind of drive happen

Sameer
Old 20th May 2012, 00:13   #38
Senior - BHPian

@San
Age has nothing to do with it. In fact the older the driver, the more the blame. And whether the goal was speed or endurance is a moot point (here it was speed though). With lack of sleep, either can result in a calamity.

@Sameer,

The best one can do while in a car is to "nap" in fits and starts! NOT equal to sleep. And over a period of three whole days?

Last edited by Gansan : 20th May 2012 at 00:17.
Old 20th May 2012, 00:25   #39
BHPian

@ Ganesan : Yeah old age with eye and nerve issues are of concern too.

A recent incident with one of my relatives who can't figure out the actual distance / gap and has nerve problems as well, he hit a cycalist.

But atleast they always drive slow, sometimes too slow actually :-)
Old 20th May 2012, 00:36   #40
Senior - BHPian

^^Don't take digs at my age! I am only 51 and can drive/ride as good as you or even better!

But seriously, people with such problems should not have a license at all. And, does that notional scenario justify this kind of risk in your mind? Mere delusion.
Old 20th May 2012, 00:38   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
The best one can do while in a car is to "nap" in fits and starts! NOT equal to sleep. And over a period of three whole days?
As far as i know, they decided prior, that one will drive for 150-200 km at a stretch, while other will take a short nap or rest, and then another one will drive. So that no one gets exhausted .

Well, it's just that, some can drive this way, while other's may not

Here's the linky: http://motoroids.com/features/motoro...test-gq-drive/

Sameer

Last edited by sameerg001 : 20th May 2012 at 00:41.
Old 20th May 2012, 02:01   #42
Senior - BHPian

I think this thread enrich's the reader mind as to how mindless the quest can be. IMHO this is no way to quench the thirst of driving and a race track or controlled environment is the best way to prove endurance or passion for drive/speed/thrills.

The fact that they did it showcases for the youth that it's achievable and that many more will attempt. Look at the comments on motoroid website, people are egging their mates to pull the record further down or queuing them for it. Our country is not the safest place to compete on these journeys. Look at the accidents on Indian highways thread and you get the gory picture. It's the human life that's most precious and agony/repeantance of being/forcing the accident is not an easy burden to lug all life long.

Gurgaon's recent BMW hit-run case show cases how a fault causes precious life loss and wrecks a family for no fault of theirs.

I request Mods to kindly keep this thread under special supervision as this doesn't look good for brand TBhp that's the proponent of safe and legal driving.
Sn1p3r is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th May 2012, 09:50   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
What an analysis, phamilyman! The hallmark of armchair driving is the ability to analyse this run in terms of such numbers.

I have covered 1500+ km from CCU to DEL in around 22 hrs in March this year, averaging around 70 km/h in a 2-tonne vehicle where my self-imposed speed limit was a GPS-indicated 105 km/h
a. Honestly, again, for a DBHPian, we expect you to talk sense, question assumptions, come out with reasoning than use dismissive labels. I will of course not get sidetracked into listing my "non armchair" long distance motorcycling/driving resume, of which you are fully aware. The question is about critically breaking it down - and I invite you to challenge the assumptions I took.
b. As for your own example - let me ask you only TWO questions -
> Would you have been able to manage the same speed over 3000km with a spare driver?
> over 6000km? Without any additional fatigue setting in? Without your attempt for glory posing risks for others?

Infact, I will again repeat what I said upfront:

Quote:
One can either do speed or distance, or both over a limited distance. But not BOTH over extended distances in India. TANSTAAFL.
and btw, even you would agree NH2 (atleast Delhi-Kanpur) is much less congested than say the Surat section of NH8? no? Can we just multiply DEL-CCU X4?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
1. Definitely, there will be some who will try to excel or beat the other, that is after all the essence of competition.

2. This news has been splashed across the largest selling newspaper in Andhra Pradesh - and one with a very high readership not only in India but also abroad - but that does not mean that the newspaper is irresponsible in writing about this duo's deeds. After all, every event or news is viewed differently by different persons.
3. For example, we talk about a speed run by the duo - do you know that they were 4.5 hours slower in the Bombay-Delhi sector than I have been? Does that make me a speed maniac?
HVK garu,

I've split your post into three key thoughts:
1. Competition or the next record seekers - I am not questioning their abilities here - this duo have proven themselves by their safe completion. Surely others may do even better. The point under debate is whether the activity is safe and worth endorsing on TeamBHP or not.

Does one person's doing it make it a safe record to be emulated by all and sundry? Like PW highlighted - even the best can have an off day. And Venu's absence is the stark proof of that. Even on his bunburner thread - I was the one of a handful of people calling him out for continuing to ride on inspite of an insect-hit eye. Six months later we were reading his condolence thread.

2. Newspaper coverage and how such drives may be percieved by media/others - Let's not waste a second talking about such records getting published in newspapers. I mean, great it got splashed - but we are TeamBHP - our commitment to quality is different, right? Newspapers have no emotional investment - for them its more masala, more readership.

Can we instead ask the friends of Vinu SV, how they feel now, for encouraging him to ever higher glory? How would we feel if some BHPian we know well ended up dying or worse, killing someone else in the process?

3. Bom - Del timing - You (or doc arn) for that matter are someone who operates on clockwork precision and time your drives very well. But again the same question. Can you or you + 1 relieving driver manage the same average over the whole 6000km? As safely as you would have done the first 1500km?

EDIT: My safety related doubt is really in the second half - there are lots of examples of safe 70 something kph drives over 1000-2000km. even the 3000-4000 odd km may be safe. But, at what distance do you believe that it turns from safe fast long distance driving to risky? Unlike a DEL-CCU drive, in my mind I have no doubt that *this* record falls in the very risky category.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 20th May 2012 at 11:03. Reason: Added content to post, as requested. :)
phamilyman is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th May 2012, 10:05   #44
BHPian

@ Gansan : hehe, sorry i didn't know the ++ age :-)

With their children living elsewhere and no drivers around, many senior citizens have to drive on their own even if they had health complications.

@1p3r : In the similar threads section i saw many similar stories from two three years back. Its nice to know about such individual and group journeys. I don't feel the thread would contribute to anything that way most of us would not want it to.

People who are passionate about these kind of long and endurence drive would keep on doing it irrispective. If not for this forum i would not have come to know about and see the pictures from this or the past such drives.

I can't drive too long the same day, must hit the bed for atleast 8 hours regularly. So its nice to see if some chaps can do it and safely.

I am sure nobody wants anyone hurt, but lets share their journey, not block it.

@ Phamilyman: It would be bad if someone is pushed into doing something risky against his heart. And even worse if something goes wrong to such a person and we lose him ultimately.

Among youngsters people are seen forcing friends into drinking above their limit and ultimately run into trouble.

But if a person is hell bent on doing something which for the majority looks impossible / insane, as his heart and sould won't rest in peace otherwise, no one can help it.

As long as a person does it of his own free will, without any kind of external pressure its ok. But it would be sick if while running after sponsorship any chap has to go beyond his safest possible limit and in the end lose his precious life.

Do we have any control or regulations on sponsorship of such events, any safety regulations in place? Is it time/possible to bring forward some kind of rules and regulations regarding such individual events?

Can team-bhp help out / pressure the concerned government authority RTA MVI etc to regularise such events for everyones safety?

Last edited by suhaas307 : 20th May 2012 at 11:05. Reason: Please avoid putting-up consecutive posts. Use the 'Edit' function henceforth. Thanks :)
Old 20th May 2012, 10:43   #45
Senior - BHPian

While I absolutely do not approve of a road race of this type, I'd congratulate the record holders.

However if one were to ignore the safety aspects, I think one can do far better - especially if one were to get a faster car. Get a 530D, put an endurance tank (120'ish liters), mark out the course with where exactly to stop and where to refuel. I'm pretty sure this can be easily brought down to sub 60 hours with the right car and equipment.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed