Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2012, 13:07   #1
Senior - BHPian

Spotted a Parked vehicle with key in place - What would you do?

Today I parked my motorbike outside my workplace parking area, as I had some documentation work at a car showroom.

This is a general parking area on the pavement next to a multistorey commercial complex. The neares shops are around 50 metres away and most bikes parked here belong to people who work or visit these shops.

After parking, I noticed that the Activa parked next to my bike still had the key in its boot lock. There was nobody around and I could not wait so proceeded to finish my documentation work. At the car showroom I asked if the Activa belonged to someone there. But it did not and they were too busy to take any further interest.
When returning to my workplace I took a short detour and verified it was still there. Following usual policy, I did not touch it as I am usually wary about such things in public areas.

Now as I sit at my desk, I am confused about what I could/ should have done. I hope the owner returns and finds the bike with the key and its a happy story ending. Of course it isnt my mistake that somebody forgot their keys, but is there something else I could have done to help?

Have you ever faced such a situation. What have you done/ would have done in such a case?

Mods: please move/ merge as appropriate. I didnt find a thread for this topic
Old 5th June 2012, 13:17   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Parked vehicle with forgotten key - what would you do?

It would be a good idea to take the key out of the lock and put it into the helmet box / under the seat / under the footmat of the same vehicle. A key displayed is an invitation to theft, and a potential thief would not hunt under the seat / mat just in case a key would have been lying there (unless he noticed you put the key away from sight).

For the owner, a lost key would be a lesser inconvenience than a stolen vehicle.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2012, 13:27   #3
Team-BHP Support

Given how these situations have quite a possibility of leading to something illegal, I think it's best not to meddle with such vehicles.

You could probably call the cops who could lock the vehicle and chalk out their standard notice (the one they put on vehicles that they can't lift parked in a no-parking zone).

Paranoid and inconvenient - yes but better safe and sure than sorry.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2012, 13:39   #4
Senior - BHPian

Deja vuuu

I had been in a very similar situation when I observed an Activa with the key in the seat/boot opener slot when I was parking my own Activa near a bank in Thane. I was sure the person in a hurry must have forgotten the key and should be at the bank. My first thought was to take the key and leave a note with my mobile number so that I can called to collect the key. But better sense prevailed and I informed the security guard at the bank about the scooter who could identify the owner. Luckily the owner was in the bank itself as guessed and I could inform him who immediately rushed to pick the key.

The other thought which came to my mind was to call the passing tow pick up vehicle, atleast the bike would have been in safe custody of the traffic cops then. Dont know which was correct.

Many a times my wife has left the key at the boot/seat opener of our Activa but all times in our building parking lot.
Old 5th June 2012, 13:45   #5
Senior - BHPian

This has happened to me several times.
First time, I left the keys in the boot lock of the KiHo Marvel in Sardar Patel Rd, Adyar, Chennai. Went out shopping/etc, came back after 2 hours to find the key right where I left it.
Second time, near Commercial St, Bangalore, another person parking his bike nearby noticed and told me.
Third time, in an off-street parking lot, parking attendant kept the key with him, and gave it back after a Rs.20 tip!

I would have sincerely appreciated it if people who noticed either found me and told me or, if that is not possible, just take the key and leave a note with mobile number.
Old 5th June 2012, 14:07   #6
Senior - BHPian

Its best to alert the authorities, especially with the risk of explosives present or could be a stolen vehicle.
Old 5th June 2012, 14:49   #7
Senior - BHPian

If its a place where this key can be handed over then its preferable to hand over the key to the guard or the security person posted there.

Very many years back we had forgotten the keys to our Dio, when we parked the scooter at Forum. Some sane minded person took the key off and gave it to the security control room. Later when we returned and were looking for key the security guy asked us to get it back from the control room.
Old 5th June 2012, 15:01   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Given how these situations have quite a possibility of leading to something illegal, I think it's best not to meddle with such vehicles.

You could probably call the cops who could lock the vehicle and chalk out their standard notice (the one they put on vehicles that they can't lift parked in a no-parking zone).

Paranoid and inconvenient - yes but better safe and sure than sorry.
Completely agree! It’s best to inform the cops, or if the vehicle is parked in the vicinity of some establishments, inform the security guys about this. Don’t try to take out the key. Automobiles parked like this should always be treated with suspicion.
Old 5th June 2012, 19:04   #9
Senior - BHPian

Re: Spotted a Parked vehicle with key in place - What would you do?

Coincidentally my FIL forgot to take the key out after parking his scooter at Shivajinagar Railway station last week. He had gone to Mumbai and remembered about it only after reaching Mumbai. I went to the parking lot at Shivajinagar with a duplicate key to check on the vehicle. Someone had taken away the key along with the jacket and some other items that were kept in the scooter. But surprisingly the scooter was still there.

I think in such scenarios i would try to find out from the nearby shops/commercial establishments if the scooter belongs to some person. I don't think i would take the key and keep the mobile number for the person to call. Calling the authorities and asking them to take the vehicle is also an option, but i doubt how quickly they would react.
Old 5th June 2012, 20:05   #10
BHPian

Now, seeing a Ninja 250 or its bigger cousins with the key on, would definitely be the call of temptation.

Kidding!
Old 6th June 2012, 01:52   #11
BHPian

There is nothing to feel bad about it.

A person who leaves the keys to his asset in the public is somebody who has attained a black-belt in absent mindedness. Imagine, a thief leaves home early morning on Hero Honda CD100SS and comes back in the evening on a Ninja. Ya.. too cheesy I know.. but I guess the point has been made..!

The best that you can do is to alert a policeman/traffic policeman/Security Guard in the vicinity/premises and take care to not remove the key or turn the key from its place.

If you see something like this on the road with no authority to call for its attention then I guess there is very little that anybody can do. (Unless somebody is jobless enough to wait for that person and stand guard..!!)
Old 6th June 2012, 01:55   #12
BHPian

Best not to fiddle with them, it could even be planted to attract someone vulnerable. One should inform the authorities - dial 100 and tell them a scooter is parked with the keys and you are suspicious - that's your duty done and leave the spot, that's what is the safest and wisest thing to do.

Should not take unnecessary risks.
Old 6th June 2012, 07:35   #13
Senior - BHPian

I remember a scene from Gone In 60 Seconds. An assistant thief steals a car just because the key was left in it, and brings it to the boss (Cage). Boss gets angry and asks him, what kind of guy will leave the key in the car and has confidence that it won't be stolen?

Sure enough, they find drugs in the car.

You don't want that kind of trouble! Also, what if the owner appears just as you are removing the key, and accuses you of stealing?

Also, I have even read in news about some thugs fitting explosives in an enemy's bike, so that it explodes when ignition is turned on.

What if it is some TV prank? You'll be famous ;-)

I'd rather walk away, because the bike's insurance will take care of stolen vehicle.

I once left my bike's key, with ignition on, in my apartment's basement and went to US. When I returned 2 months later, it was still there! The battery had to be replaced though.
Old 6th June 2012, 11:21   #14
BHPian

This happened to me last evening.. Had to go to the airport to meet a friend. In the rush of things forgot the Duke's key on the bike. (I have never ever left the key on the bike before)

Anyways after meeting up with my friend, came back to the bike, wore my helmet and gloves and went hunting for the key in all my pockets since I didn't find it in my right pocket (where I normally keep the keys) and then panicked... Traced my steps back and no luck. Came back to the Duke and saw the handle unlocked and that's when it struck me, that I left the key on the motorcycle and someone had taken the key out.

Totally wanted to kick myself, thought of all possible scenarios (which included, calling my dad and asking him to come to the airport with the spare keys / not leaving the bike unattended, as whoever took the keys could come back and take the bike / cursing myself for not having purchased a disc lock / cursing myself for getting into the dilemma in the first place). And then I saw the security at in the lot walking towards me as if he knew something was amiss. Sure enough the last shift (which I missed by 20min apparently) guard had pulled the keys out and was on his way to report the same and drop in lost and found.

Anyways, airport authorities were confused as to what needed to be done in such a case and how I could go about getting the keys back, but Rs 50/- ensured no fuss and keys handed over with warning from the guard "sir please be careful next time, this is not a normal motorcycle, else we would have left the keys as is on the bike" :O
Old 6th June 2012, 11:31   #15
Senior - BHPian

One of my colleague lost his mo-bike when he parked it in the Ernakulam Junction Railway Station and forgot to take out the key with him more than an year back.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks