Team-BHP - Turn your headlights off and only use the horn!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Street Experiences (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experiences/)
-   -   Turn your headlights off and only use the horn! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experiences/12183-turn-your-headlights-off-only-use-horn.html)

So there is all this talk in the media about John's headlights not being on , which may have been a cause of his accident.

I was riding home after work last evening. It was about 7pm, twilight. I usually ride with my headlight on as it makes the bike more noticeable to the hundreds of jaywalkers that dart across the streets.

I pull up at the signal at the end of Marine drive, the intersection that leads to walkeshwar on the left and peddar road on the right. There was a Police Qualis parked at the signal. One inspector with the mandatory dark glasses giving the “I’m trouble for you” look. He, and his 2 pandu’s are muttering something to each other while looking at me. I knew something was up.

Sure enough, the inspector tells the Pandu to call me over. At first I pretend I don’t see him. But then he walks over and tells me to pull up near their Qualis. I ask him what I had done. He tells me my headlight was on. I told him I know and that I make it a point to keep it on when riding as it is safer. The Inspector then steps down and comes over saying, in their usual threatening kind of tone, that it is illegal to use the headlights in the day time. I disagree and tell him that it is infact SAFER to have the headlight on while riding, whether its day or night.

He raised his voice saying that my headlight was “blinding him” and that I have to switch it off or he will fine me! He said that instead of a headlight, I should keep pressing the horn to warn pedestrians!! I tried to talk some sense into him by saying that the headlight is far more visible from a distance than pressing the horn. Also, why add to the noise pollution with the horn. I also added that in many countries, daytime running lights were the LAW and people could get a ticket for NOT driving with their lights on.

It looked like me correcting him was pissing him off and he refused to accept my facts and just went on harping about the horn, and this being India. I figured to hell with him and just rode off. With my headlight on.

But this incident just goes to show the utter rubbish our so-called traffic police know themselves about proper rules and procedure. These are the same people who then “investigate” accidents and pass their “expert” opinion on who was at fault.

Roads are improving, cars are improving, but are we going to have to contend with these useless pandu’s forever? Trust me, after all the crap I’ve been through after my accident, I’m getting to a point that I may even resort to a rang-de-basanti on these guys!

I completely agree with RT on this one .. Well going slightly OT , dont the 04 , 05 and 06 R1s and R6s lights be ON ALL THE TIME .. If yes , how could JA's lights be off ??

Quote:

Originally Posted by mclaren1885
I completely agree with RT on this one .. Well going slightly OT , dont the 04 , 05 and 06 R1s and R6s lights be ON ALL THE TIME .. If yes , how could JA's lights be off ??

not necessarily... you can turn them off..

utter nonsense that's all I can say about pandu's logic.
he must be just one of many.
RT you did the right thing, no use of trying to put sense into such useless creatures.
all part of the "system"

Quote:

Originally Posted by Godfather
not necessarily... you can turn them off..

Well i hadnt seen the latest posts on the other thread regarding the lights issue .. However goddy , my friends own a 05 R1 and a 04 R6 on which the lights are on the moment u put the key to ign mode .. And im sure they couldnt turn them off .. Same is the case with all these bikes that are in town too .. Unless u get a local mech to turn them off ..

some cops really suckk....First of all they dont talk logic n then try to threaten the public...
They once tried to fine me for sitting in a parked car n that too in an authorised parking area.......

Quote:

Originally Posted by mclaren1885

I don't think the headlights will be on, its just a small parking type light thats on all the time.

Man, you really have some bad luck following you to get involved with the cops for such stupid things. But your frustration is understandable. So you just sped off after giving up on educating the cops?

Quote:

Originally Posted by karthik247
I don't think the headlights will be on, its just a small parking type light thats on all the time.

No, its the proper headlights...low beam.

He was just trying to give you a hard time, seeing your racer bike and all.

I always drive with my low beam on after sunset. It vastly improve visibility (my own, and to others of my car)

GTO

forget everything else, i would just want a clip of RT talking to the cops in hindi / marathi (that would be an overkill). That itself would make for a great laugh.

manson.

In Europena countries ..cars as well bikes the headlight siwtches are screwed ON always ...it is mandatory ...look here
http://news.techwhack.com/2658/13120...-all-the-time/

http://www.swov.nl/en/actueel/Persberichten/DRL.htm

Didn't I write in some thread that the 2 & 4 wheeler manufacturers should seriously consider removing some useless stuff like Headlights, RVM(inside and outside),fog lights, signal lights, air bags et all to reduce the cost - only have a HORN - The most powerful safety device in cars / bikes if you ride/drive in India.

Quote:

Originally Posted by manson
forget everything else, i would just want a clip of RT talking to the cops in hindi / marathi (that would be an overkill). That itself would make for a great laugh.

manson.

lol: Dude.. believe me ITS A HOOT!!!
Having been party to him talk to someone on the phone and get all AGITATED... its HOWLARIOUS!

Hey Robin,

I feel you should narrate this incident to Mid-Day via Email. Next time you come up with a stupid cop in a similar situation remember to take his name & car/bike no. down and then take up the matter in the papers.

We must all learn not to take any bull**** from these cops looking to make a fast buck from innocent people who dont know the law. Its difficult but we could make a tiny diff.

Viper