Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2006, 19:25   #1
Senior - BHPian

Nice guys finish last ?? Details of an encounter on the road.

This afternoon I drop my mum off at Mallya Hospital and head straight towards Residency road. Im on the left lane and not going too fast (40kmph) and suddenly this guy who is crossing the road stops in his tracks to answer his phone, I had seen him so I slowed and shifted to third, instead of moving forward he jumps back !!! I brake and skid to the right.. meanwhile a pulsar who is passing me panics, jams the front brake, looses control very badly (poor riding skills) and the bike slides ahead on the road taking the rider and pillion.

Now picture this :

Pedestrian walks off while im bad mouthing him..

I help up the bikers, my car wasnt touched and I know this. They are obviously shocked and I offer to take them to the hospital. Mob gathers, a few witnesses admit to my innocence but they soon disapeear.

Autodrivers land up and somehow the fault is mine, guys start demanding I fix their bike... I refuse but still tell them I would take them to the hospital. Cops arrive, I tell them the only solution is to file a complaint, they push off because news of Rajkumars death had just been announced.

Anyway so we proceed to Mallya hospital (walking), I admit them for first aid... work starts, bills are mounting. My mum was in the hospital so I borrowed money from her and I paid close to 1800(Xrays, Medicines, treatment) and things take an ugly turn... they call some elderly guys, cant called them goondas but yeah scoundrels!! I told them I wasnt willing to pay anything more as I had allready paid through my *** for no fault of mine and there was about 600RS outstanding which I refused to pay. Now some threatening begins, I get pushed around,

Meanwhile I sent my mom home because of the news of rajkumars death.

I call my friends, who land up with a prominent cops's son. They push him around.. the usual "Do you know who i am" ensues... friends guys land up.
Our victims and thier "brothers" change their menacing attitutde and agree to pay the remaining 600.

Even at the last moment they threatened me saying I would have to fight them in court and all sorts of bull****.

I made the mistake of being a good samaritan and taking them to the hospital. I should have asked them to file a complaint and driven off. They were quite badly hurt (mostly cosmetic, nothing else was serious) but I took pity and took them to the hospital. I could have actually driven away and confidantly escaped (well actually It wasnt my fault to begin with).
Old 12th April 2006, 19:35   #2
BHPian

no point being the nice guy. report all matters to police if things escalate. b****y people have made this a habbit of demanding money for everything. i dont understand this. can i go ahead and break a guys arm if i m ready 2 pay 3k. seems so.
Old 12th April 2006, 19:41   #3
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Sad to hear this happened with u .. Take car anirudh .. It was nice of u to have helped those guys , but its this bad attitude from the public that annoys everyone a lot .. Its always the richer guy or the guy in a bigger vehicle at fault ..
Old 12th April 2006, 20:28   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0uljah
I made the mistake of being a good samaritan and taking them to the hospital. I should have asked them to file a complaint and driven off. They were quite badly hurt (mostly cosmetic, nothing else was serious) but I took pity and took them to the hospital. I could have actually driven away and confidantly escaped (well actually It wasnt my fault to begin with).
Hey S0uljah,

At the moment it may seem like you made a mistake by offering to take them to the hospital, but in reality, and in the long run that was very much the right move and i'm sure you know that too. Goodjob.

cya
R
Old 12th April 2006, 20:37   #5
Senior - BHPian

You'll be rewarded in the long run for your good ways.
Old 12th April 2006, 20:45   #6
Senior - BHPian

Thanks @ Naveendhyani, Mclaren, Rehan & aniguchisan....

Believe me after a while when things took an ugly turn all I could think was if I had run away I would have been ashamed of being a T-Bhpian and evading duty. Maybe its the fact that im a member here that made me decide to take the responsibility. And I had just read about Mclarens incident earlier in the day and was fresh in my mind... leaves a bitter taste... anyways, what happened happened. Im happy to be able to vent grievances in a forum like this !!
Old 12th April 2006, 20:59   #7
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Damn i feel sad for you s0uljah! Whats shocking is that u paid 1800Rs !!! Why on the earth would you do that ?? You did ur good deed by bringing them to the hospital and then u get pushed around man ... damn !

I've had a few accidents too while learning to drive and all in class 9. Anyway i remember one where it was my fault, so my parents and i we were helping out the person injured, we did give him money and paid for the hospital thingie too. He had a fracture and whose fault it was is really debatable anyway without going into all that ... after like a week or two of me and my parents helping him and his family with everything we could they start demanding money for their daughters marriage, now this "daughter" was only 10yrs old !!! That was the last time they ever heard from us ...

Cases like these just makes one very apprehensive about being a good samaritan.
Old 12th April 2006, 21:08   #8
Senior - BHPian

Hey souljah,

Its comforting to know that there are good people like you out on the roads...
Keep up the good work!
It takes a very considerate man to do a good deed specially when its no fault of his.

Cheers
Amitoj
Old 12th April 2006, 23:45   #9
Jay
BHPian

Hey S0uljah, thats really nice as to what you did... even though it wasnt your fault, taking an injured person to hospital is a good deed. well if not anything else you will atleast have the satisfaction that you helped a person in pain.....

but this is one thing that usually happens to people like you, offer help and you end up being blamed for their injuries.
Old 13th April 2006, 01:30   #10
Senior - BHPian

More than the fact that you did what you did, I respect the fact that you'd probably do the same thing again. Good on you, brother!
Old 13th April 2006, 03:24   #11
Senior - BHPian

no man.....i strongly disagree, being good on Indian roads....a big NAAAH! i recall an incident when i was robbed by a sweet gentleman whom i tried to help at 0100 hrs pretending to be lying drunk. though i lost 100 bucks only but made a point to kick the ***** next time.
Old 13th April 2006, 10:02   #12
Senior - BHPian

Man, I am so sorry for you!!! You try to be a good citizen, and this is how people treat you!!!
Old 13th April 2006, 10:04   #13
aZa
Senior - BHPian

hahah panky delhites have had some rough experiences eh
Old 13th April 2006, 17:07   #14
Senior - BHPian

Talking to the victims will get you an idea about them. Based on your judgement you can decide whether to offer help or not. If they shout at you without even understanding what had happened or not heeding to explanation, you can straight away ignore them & move away.

If they talk logically, you can offer them the help with an hope that the affected person himself will take you out of the trouble, if the third party got involved and try to show his power
Old 13th April 2006, 18:19   #15
BANNED

Hey Souljah, you'll always come across people like this, but that should never make you want to be like one of them, i.e. drive away from an injured person etc.

You did the right thing. And don't worry, you didn't finish last. The guys who are nursing scrapes, cuts and bruises and a damaged bike are the ones who did.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks