Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2014, 05:14   #91
BHPian

Re: Gujarat Highways: Can they be replicated across India?

In my view, one aspect of Gujarat roads has been missed out. It is a dry state with very less rain, making maintenance of roads far easier. So, you build a highway and it stays like that for a far long duration of time. compare and contrast that with Himachal mountain roads, North East or western Maharashtra where rainfall is high. No wonder roads in Rajasthan are easily the best,m thanks to the dry weather!

Mostly, I have driven in the north or traveled for official purposes in and around Delhi's 400 km radius. Having experienced Yamuna Expressway, Delhi - Ambala GT road stretch (6 laned is bare minimum and gets wider at times, often like a playground or battlefield at stretches!), Delhi - Rohtak 6 laned new road, Delhi Jaipur road when with lesser traffic, I really found Gujarat roads from all points of view to be far below average.
In my official trip from Jamnagar to Mithapur, I heard praise about this road from people while it turned out be an ordinary 2-laned highway that one gets to see everywhere, with no great work on the road.
During my recent Delhi - Pune drive, road from Udaipur till Gujarat border was really good but a pure mess from Gujarat border onwards till Himmatnagar. Took 2 hours from Gujarat border till Himmatnagar for approx. 80 kilometers. Trucks swaying from left to right of the road to avoid potholes! Thank goodness, I was traveling in the night with minimal small car traffic. From Himmatnagar to Ahmedabad, there is a 20 km long patch that is 2-laned along the GQ!! haven't witnessed that in any other state yet that has GQ passing through it. Ahmedabad -Vadodara Expressway, is a 4-laned expressway with 100 KMPH speed limit and no proper food malls (Reliance Plaza, the only did not have any lunch item there). The expressway reminded me of so called Ambala - Chandigarh expressway! As of now, there is no truck traffic on the road but it can get really messy once trucks start using this so called NE1. Delhi - Jaipiur is a good case in point where even 6-laning is not sufficient.

Baroda onwards till MH border, I have witnessed the worst driving sense with cars overtaking from left, coming in your lane without indicators or probably without even viewing rear view mirrors. No need to talk of Narmada river bridge, it took 1.5 hours to simply cross that. It is all 4-laning near Surat and things get slightly better (like Delhi - Jaipur road) near Vapi, etc.

Enter Maharashtra and there was an amazing 18 lanes octroi collection plaza and 6-laned roads till Fountain hotel with no road diggings or very few villages and hardly a diversion.

I have photos of all these things. Would not like to discuss anything on politics here, but we all know why people excessively praise such roads in pure shambles.
My experience regarding Gujarat roads has not been positive at all! I am not sure how pathetic it was a decade ago, but if the current state of roads is what makes people go gaga about this, without checking I can confidently say that literacy and education statistics are definitely nowhere in the top of country for this state to praise soemthing like that.
ameyawaghmare is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2014, 07:21   #92
BHPian

Also, most of the roads of Gujarat being praised here are national highways which are due to Central Govt, not state!

If u take State highways & roads connecting towns & villages in totality, I would say Tamil Nadu is best.
gsurya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2014, 07:35   #93
Senior - BHPian

In Kerala we are still dreaming about good highways as it is still undecided over the width to be same. Something is amiss in the God's land.
The monsoon has left the roads in the State in tatters.
Old 15th September 2014, 09:32   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsurya View Post
Also, most of the roads of Gujarat being praised here are national highways which are due to Central Govt, not state!

If u take State highways & roads connecting towns & villages in totality, I would say Tamil Nadu is best.
I've traveled quite a lot on the roads connecting Surat to the interior villages on it''s outskirts (approx 50 kms north/west of Surat). All these roads are quite good (except some patches where flyover construction is going on e.g. ONGC) and without any potholes even in the monsoons. Even the two lane roads connecting the villages (having no major towns in between) are quite impressive.
kalpeshc is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks