Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2012, 19:51   #1
BHPian

Glasgow (UK) -> Goa by road

I am looking to start a journey from "Glasgow in UK to Goa in India by road". This is the start of once in a life time journey, covering Europe and Asia. The journey will cover different cities of UK and other parts of Europe and Asia. The countries covered as part of the trip would be as mentioned below :

1st Choice

France, Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany, Switzerland, Italy, Austria, Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Serbia, Montenegro, Kosovo, Albania, Macedonia, Greece, Bulgaria, Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Iran, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, China, Tibet, Nepal and India (May be Bhutan)

2nd Choice

France, Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany, Switzerland, Italy, Austria, Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Serbia, Montenegro, Kosovo, Albania, Macedonia, Greece, Bulgaria, Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Iran, Pakistan and India.

I would need suggestions from you guys regarding things to do and precautions to take on the way. Any advise to make this trip more successful and pleasurable will be welcome!!

It would also be nice to have any of your, if you want to join from UK, anywhere in the middle or Nepal or any part of India

Last edited by GTO : 6th July 2012 at 15:10.
Old 6th July 2012, 16:51   #2
BHPian

Re: Glasgow (UK) -> Goa by road

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigill View Post
I am looking to start a journey from "Glasgow in UK to Goa in India by road". This is the start of once in a life time journey, covering Europe and Asia. The journey will cover different cities of UK and other parts of Europe and Asia. The countries covered as part of the trip would be as mentioned below :

1st Choice

France, Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany, Switzerland, Italy, Austria, Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Serbia, Montenegro, Kosovo, Albania, Macedonia, Greece, Bulgaria, Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Iran, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, China, Tibet, Nepal and India (May be Bhutan)

2nd Choice

France, Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany, Switzerland, Italy, Austria, Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Serbia, Montenegro, Kosovo, Albania, Macedonia, Greece, Bulgaria, Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Iran, Pakistan and India.

I would need suggestions from you guys regarding things to do and precautions to take on the way. Any advise to make this trip more successful and pleasurable will be welcome!!

It would also be nice to have any of your, if you want to join from UK, anywhere in the middle or Nepal or any part of India
Firstly...

Now, this is one ambitious plan. There is little that i can add because i have not even considered soemthing like this, let alone plan it! I feel the biggest problem would be getting the Visas sorted out for all these countries. Assuming you apply for a tourist visa (?) will that allow you to bring your own vehicle that may or may not comply with local laws? Also, this trip certainly cannot be cheap, and will likely burn a hole in your wallet.

Going to keenly follow this thread and here's hoping you make a grand success of this.

Last edited by vinod332002 : 6th July 2012 at 16:52.
Old 6th July 2012, 18:35   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

1st Choice

2nd Choice

Just saw this post.What is the latest update on your plans?It would be quite difficult to drive into India from Pakistan,as Pakistan does not issue visas for people driving passenger vehicles.Many people that I know of have had to shelve their plans because of this major stumbling block.Not sure if things have changed in the past 6months or so.
Old 6th July 2012, 18:44   #4
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1
Just saw this post.What is the latest update on your plans?It would be quite difficult to drive into India from Pakistan,as Pakistan does not issue visas for people driving passenger vehicles.Many people that I know of have had to shelve their plans because of this major stumbling block.Not sure if things have changed in the past 6months or so.
Its possible that the same issue may exist for China too. The driver being a PIO they may crib.
Afghanistan, Pakistan and China can at times be rather insular in their policies.
Old 6th July 2012, 18:47   #5
BHPian

vinod332002: It is indeed a very ambitious plan a seed of which had grown in my brain 3 years back. Since then all was silent until 10 days ago. I have decided to make the trip. The tip will not burn a hole in the wallet, but will burn the wallet. The burn will be more because from earlier 2 people, it would only be me. Now if i am able to pull this off....i will do the reverse as well. I have just started working on it....and with less than 3 months to go, lets see what happens. At every stage i will need your good wishes!!

ranjitp1: I know there have been a lot of people who had to shelf the plans. I am determined to travel from Iran to Pakistan...if any issues then China to Pakistan but will do it. If still at the end i am stuck and everything goes against my wishes, i will ship my car from Iran to Mumbai. Like they say "where there is will, there is a way" but i definitely need more than a will here. Watch this space as will know in next 2/3 wekks!!

shankar.balan: Very true!!
Old 6th July 2012, 18:57   #6
BHPian

Hey indigill, As many here mentioned, it is indeed an ambitious plan to cover about 8k kms by road, but not impossible. Sometime back a couple did the same. Do check the following link, this might help you in planning.
Welcome to London Delhi by Road Overland Charity fund raising event for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals in India

Cheers,
Rajesh
Old 6th July 2012, 19:06   #7
BHPian

Rajesh: Yes they did it and they are my friends....they evetually gave up their jobs in UK to move permanently to India. Now they do tour organisation from Delhi and tomorrow go from Delhi to Leh. Tushar is providing me a lot of help for this trip as well being my mentor.

Well Glasgow2goa will be the first of its kind and lets hope all goes well!!
Old 6th July 2012, 19:06   #8
BHPian

Way to go! Maybe a tbhpian accomplishing this feat would be inspiration to a lot more. I couldn't quite tell from the posts whether you plan to do this on 2 wheels or 4 wheels? Solo or with company?
Old 6th July 2012, 19:20   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...a journey from "Glasgow in UK to Goa in India by road".
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500cc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mempheS.D View Post
...a tbhpian accomplishing this feat...
The London-Delhi trip, the link to which was posted by 2500cc, is indeed done by a Team-BHPian.
SS-Traveller is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th July 2012, 19:37   #10
BHPian

Tushar who did this is a very good friend of mine and is also providing great feedbacks for this tour. I would be doing this solo in a land cruiser...so yes 4x4. This is mainly i may cover China and Pakistan on the way now....so would be through Nanga Parbat etc.

More details to follow;

Does anyone have any information about KKH highway (karakoram highway) passing from China to Pakistan ? I have heard this is an amazing route, done by a few and is worth the journey. I have been looking into different forums and very a few people seem to know about it. I am hoping some here is able to help as i plan to take this route in October.

Last edited by .anshuman : 7th July 2012 at 21:01. Reason: Back to back posts. Please use edit button if posting within 30 minutes again. Thanks
Old 7th July 2012, 21:15   #11
BHPian

that would be the journey of a lifetime. i would suggest you team up with someone, a solo drive through some of the places you are going to pass through may not be a very good idea.

get in touch with HVK, he would have some idea on the KKH highway or he would at least know someone who does.
Old 7th July 2012, 22:14   #12
Senior - BHPian

I would also suggest that you try and link this journey to a cause. Since you will be covering most of Europe and a lot of Asia, you could promote a worthy cause, and if you are driving as part of some fundraiser or charity mission, getting clearances and permissions might just get easier.

Have you approached the embassies of the respective countries in your country? What have been their responses? Surely they would provide better info on whether visas would be granted than the members here.
Old 8th July 2012, 00:55   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
I would also suggest that you try and link this journey to a cause. Since you will be covering most of Europe and a lot of Asia, you could promote a worthy cause, and if you are driving as part of some fundraiser or charity mission, getting clearances and permissions might just get easier.

Have you approached the embassies of the respective countries in your country? What have been their responses? Surely they would provide better info on whether visas would be granted than the members here.
I am indeed doing this for charity i.e. Cancer research. One is UK based and the other is an Indian one. This is all for a charitable cause but for a start i am not allowed to put the details of my website directly on this one. From more information check glasgow2goa on the internet.
Old 8th July 2012, 08:52   #14
BHPian

I have been planning a delhi to london trip. Mostly concerned about how to get through pakistan since I expect I will not be permitted to drive from wagah to zahedan by road, nor do I expect to receive permission to drive across china to take any northerly route or to drive to Mongolia.
Old 8th July 2012, 21:07   #15
BHPian

Harbir: I can admit there is no word called "easy" in this one. I have started the process and with all your wishes, i hope i can make it. If i do i hope i can generate inspiration and guide others to do it.

Glasgow to Goa by road

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks