Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2012, 09:48   #1
Senior - BHPian

Cops charge man for not wearing a helmet in his CAR??!!

News says it all; I wouldn't wonder if they slap fine stating seat belts are not worn when riding a motorcycle!!!

Quote:
HISAR: Next time you drive a four-wheeler in Haryana, you might feel the need to carry a helmet: not to save your head, but pocket.

Hisar-based lawyer Amit Saini, 26, was issued a challan by traffic cops for not wearing a helmet while driving his WagonR to the court.
Source & Full Times of India Article

Last edited by GTO : 14th July 2012 at 15:57. Reason: Please don't upload scanned copies of copyrighted material
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2012, 09:59   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Cops charge man for not wearing a helmet in his CAR??!!

The cops need to be punished in all severity and seriousness. This is a clear case of fraudulently filing a case for refusing to pay bribe. No wonder India lies low in the Transparency rankings.
Old 13th July 2012, 10:32   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
News says it all; I wouldn't wonder if they slap fine stating seat belts are not worn when riding a motorcycle!!!

Source - TOI (13-Jul-2012)
Wow! is this for real? I wonder the state of mind of the SHO when he thought about the fine. I am guessing you can always oppose this in court as wrong fine, but not sure how prudent it will be to pursue it further.
Old 13th July 2012, 10:47   #4
Senior - BHPian

I dont think the SHO would have levied the fine had he not been requested to let go by the lawyer. He must have not be aware too about the fine he charged later, it was a matter of wrong thinking on his part. But the SHO deserve a good spanking.

Even more irritating is the response from the SHO's boss when asked to file a FIR.
Old 13th July 2012, 11:07   #5
SDP
Team-BHP Support

This is as ridiculous as its gets. What is appaling is that the SHO actually thought he would get away with it.

In the court of law, does anything that traffic police claim is by default true? If a officer claims that 'you were not wearing the seatbelt', does the officer actually have to prove that in the court if the driver ends up challenging the challan?

A friend's experience says otherwise. He was pulled over for driving in the wrong direction on a one-way street. He argued that there is no sign where he joined the road. Was given a challan anyways. He went to the court. After getting a new date 2-3 times, finally he was presented in front of the judge. Judge heard his story and said "Denied. Fine 150Rs. Do you plead guilty?". My friend said "No". The judge said "Fine doubled 300 Rs.. Do you plead guilty". "No". "Fine doubled. ....". You get the drift!

This was almost 10 years back and the dialogue is from my memory of the friend narrating the incidence (may not be legally accurate).

I always thought that "one is innocent till proven guilty". Doesn't seem to apply for traffic violations.

Last edited by SDP : 13th July 2012 at 11:09.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2012, 12:21   #6
Senior - BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 14th July 2012 at 15:58.
Sommos is offline   Received Infraction
Old 13th July 2012, 16:22   #7
Team-BHP Support

Two possibilities:

- The traffic cop was a rally car driver in his previous job.

- He is quite worried about safety of passengers & the driver. Technically, wearing helmet in cars could cut down car accident deaths by a huge margin on highways.
SmartCat is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 13th July 2012, 16:33   #8
BHPian

a similar incident happened in jalandhar (Punjab) some time in 2003/2004; the cop was drunk and the guy who he issued the ticket to was a lawyer who happily accepted the ticket and paid it too only to later sue Punjab Police.
Old 13th July 2012, 16:42   #9
Senior - BHPian

And Police Brutality captured on camera here at UP, Noida for driving on the wrong lane and arguing with the cops.
Reward, Rs.50000 Crores fund for the state.

Caught on camera: Man beaten with belts at police station | NDTV.com

Last edited by hrman : 13th July 2012 at 16:44.
Old 20th July 2012, 17:46   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Cops charge man for not wearing a helmet in his CAR??!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
And Police Brutality captured on camera here at UP, Noida for driving on the wrong lane and arguing with the cops.
Reward, Rs.50000 Crores fund for the state.

Caught on camera: Man beaten with belts at police station | NDTV.com
The wardiwallahs have huge egos and you better not mess with them on their bad day. Classic example of misuse of authority. Don't know why everyone in a seat of power wants to assert his/her supremacy rather than accept his/her responsibility.

They should have fined or even confiscated the vehicle rather than taking matters into their own hands.

OT: While on the topic of wrong side driving, I remember a friend saying to me once - "Unfortunately, in India dual carriageways are seen as two single roads and not a single carriageway. So everyone travels freely both ways on both sides."

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks