Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2012, 22:50   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: A Fiat Punto saves a family

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
IN both cases, it's safe to presume the superior build quality of the the European car saved the occupants. In your friend's case the fact that he and his wife were belted in and the airbags worked as intended saved their lives. This is a big learning for me: NEVER switch off ignition at a signal (airbags wouldn't deploy). I know people advise that to reduce air pollution but this is too much of a risk to take!
Very true. It has been proved once again that the European cars are the safest. This is also an eye opener for me. I wouldn't be switching off the ignition in signals from now on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
Yes, and it also ensures that the ladder frame chassis of the trucks do not crush the upper body of the occupants of the car. These are mandatory by law (at least for new trucks) to provide protection against a smaller vehicle going under the trucks in case of accidents.

In this particular accident it played important role on saving the lives of the occupants!
After this incident, I am watching the lorries very closely. Sadly, I see that the frames are fixed at a higher level and if hit by a car, it would mostly hit the upper body part of the car. It would be great if some courts also look into this kind of violation as well .
Old 21st August 2012, 23:27   #47
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
This is also an eye opener for me. I wouldn't be switching off the ignition in signals from now on.
Quote:
^^ I don't know- but are you willing to take the risk?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post
@ Noopster - lets try and find out rather than leave it open ended. Airbag experts - please enlighten us!
Quote:
NEVER switch off ignition at a signal (airbags wouldn't deploy). I know people advise that to reduce air pollution but this is too much of a risk to take!
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
Was the engine running while the accident occurred? I guess so! If not may be the air-bags wouldn't have deployed?

Air bags work only when ignition On or would it work otherwise also? An interesting question hovering in my mind ever since I read about the accident
Guys - right and wrong. Since I own a Punto 90, and the vehicle being discussed in the thread is also a 90 - let me try clarify.

1. Airbags will deploy if key is inserted, and turned to MAR (ON) position. Engine ignition may/ may not be on.

2. Airbags will NOT deploy if key is in OFF position/ removed.

3. If you switch off the engine, make sure you turn the key back to ON position.

As stated by the company -

"Airbags may be deployed if another vehicle crashes IF THE KEY IS INSERTED AND AT MAR also if the engine is not running and the car is stationary. For this reason, children must never sit on the front seat, even if the car is not moving. On the other hand, if the key is inserted AND AT STOP, none of the safety devices (airbags or pretensioners) will be deployed in a collision."

Also -

"When the key is turned to MAR - warning light (with front passenger activate) will blink for a few seconds to remind you that the airbag will be deployed in the event of a collision after which it should go out".

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 21st August 2012 at 23:32.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2012, 00:53   #48
Team-BHP Support

Sometimes I wonder if driving itself is worth it, on our roads that is. Imagine, the grim-reaper could be sitting in a lorry right behind you! It's a scary thought. And the situation seems to get worse by the day.

If you aren't mugged, you're involved in some road-accident.

Hope your friends pulls through this difficult time and learns to accept that India is a country full of imbeciles who drive and ride like their lives depend on it. ALWAYS.
Old 22nd August 2012, 09:48   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Sometimes I wonder if driving itself is worth it, on our roads that is. Imagine, the grim-reaper could be sitting in a lorry right behind you! ......
It indeed is a scary thought, and the situation does not seem to be improving. More so, when we see pics like the one posted by GTO here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...-pics-793.html
Old 22nd August 2012, 14:02   #50
Senior - BHPian

Update

Today, my friend got an update on the estimate from the TAFE Reach, Chennai. They told him that the cost would roughly be around Rs. 9L if this is to be repaired. They will turn this over to the Insurance guys and they will have to take a call now. TAFE has recommended to total the car.
Old 22nd August 2012, 14:32   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Terrible. But, true.

If you have a lorry and a 500 rs, you can crush even a car which costs more than a crore Rupees. Make sure that no one gets injured.

To tow his car back to home, he spent Rs. 3500 and another Rs. 400 at the RTO. And, total loss of car, muscle pain for 3 days, 3 days leave from office, running behind insurance and service people for few more months, Spend another 2-3 lakh for a new car and for all this, the truck driver will only be penalized with Rs. 500.
I am afraid that you have not explored all legal options. Please re-check with appropriate legal experts with regards to compensation for damages incurred to property + cause of trauma to self and others in the car + legal expenses to pursue the same. You legal action should not be against just the driver but also the company/individual in whose name the lorry is registered and the contractor if any for whom the lorry is in service.

If you let them off with a 500 INR fine, they will never repent.
SedatedDrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2012, 15:31   #52
BHPian

Glad driver and co passenger are harmless. Also happy to see air bags deployed. As many members stated bumper were not hit hard but the air bags deployed. All I can think is other companies (VW) have severely reduced the sensitivity of the airbag, could be used different triggering mechanism or FIAT used other types of triggering unit which is triggered by inertia forces or increased the sensor sensitivity. Looking at both Polo and punto accident, polo is by far the worst accident and yet airbags are not deployed. One pays for saftey features and failed to protect the occupant doesnot server the purpose.

Regards,
Vijay

Last edited by vijaycool : 22nd August 2012 at 15:37.
vijaycool is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2012, 16:46   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SedatedDrive View Post
I am afraid that you have not explored all legal options. Please re-check with appropriate legal experts with regards to compensation for damages incurred to property + cause of trauma to self and others in the car + legal expenses to pursue the same. You legal action should not be against just the driver but also the company/individual in whose name the lorry is registered and the contractor if any for whom the lorry is in service.

If you let them off with a 500 INR fine, they will never repent.
Get a competent lawyer. File a charge sheet with Intent to Murder on the driver. That alone should send the criminal driver to jail until hearing. The owner can then be pressurized to pay up and release the driver. However about 3-4 months behind bars should cure the driver IMO.
Old 22nd August 2012, 19:15   #54
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
Get a competent lawyer. File a charge sheet with Intent to Murder on the driver. That alone should send the criminal driver to jail until hearing. The owner can then be pressurized to pay up and release the driver. However about 3-4 months behind bars should cure the driver IMO.
A simple charge-sheet stating 'attempt-to-murder' won't send the driver to jail. In fact, Courts in India have been directed to avoid sending people to jail without a proper hearing. In this accident, there was no loss of life. That itself is enough to ensure that this offense is a non-bailable one. Heck, people get away with murder. What we have here is a case of rear-ending a car.

Unless there is substantial / conclusive proof and evidence against the driver, stating that there was indeed intent / motive to murder, the driver of the truck is not liable to be prosecuted.

It's unfortunate that our legal system works in this way. This is precisely the reason why rogue drivers and habitual offenders will continue to prowl the streets.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2012, 10:56   #55
tud
BHPian

9 lacs to get it back to running? Insurance will also comply to Tafe's total loss suggestion. I wish your friend's next car should be another Punto. For what it has done, its priceless.
Old 23rd August 2012, 12:56   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
After this incident, I am watching the lorries very closely. Sadly, I see that the frames are fixed at a higher level and if hit by a car, it would mostly hit the upper body part of the car. It would be great if some courts also look into this kind of violation as well .
The trucks are modified by adding to the leaf springs for additional load carrying capacity and hence raising the level.

The courts must take this seriously as the owners usually do not replace them once they are damaged. I think the tipper owners remove them deliberately for more maneuverability. Need a PIL on the subject to make it stringent.
Old 23rd August 2012, 14:11   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
He narrates the incident himself.

"This is what happened to my beloved exotic red 90 hp punto at a traffic signal on NH 45 in front of DB Hospital, Chrompet, Chennai. My car got sandwich-ed between 2 lorries.
I am glad your friend is safe! This is not the first time I am seeing the new Fiat's saving the passengers from the wrath of the truck monsters.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post1422879

BTW, is your friend working in the RMZ Campus in Taramani!? I remember seeing this car with the TFI stickers in my company parking lot
anachronix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2012, 23:04   #58
Senior - BHPian

My friend received an estimation of 9.9L towards the repair cost. TAFE has recommended to total the car to the Insurer. The decision is still pending with them. They would send 3 independent mechanics to inspect the car before a decision is made by the Insurance company (Future Generali). He is still waiting.
Old 3rd September 2012, 23:42   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
These metal bumpers factory fitted? or just after market products. If its after market, it more likely isn't tested and chances are it can get more dangerous than without it.
Quote:
I always have thought that these solid metal bumpers were not legal and cause more damage to the vehicle hitting from behind. The vehicle hitting from behind would need to absorb full impact. I could be wrong, its just a hunch!

Airbags work without ignition, thanks, looks like lot of common sense has prevailed with manufacturer's!!!
These are not after market Metal bumpers but they are Mandatory guards which are factory fitted to all LCV and HCV's to avoid a car/bike going beneath a truck.

They are also fitted on sides for the same purpose.

I feel in this accident the rear bumper saved this Punto from going furthur in the truck which could have been more disastrous.

F-I-A-T rocks, i badly miss my Tank, my padmini.
silverado is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2012, 00:36   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
In this accident, there was no loss of life. That itself is enough to ensure that this offense is a non-bailable one. Heck, people get away with murder. What we have here is a case of rear-ending a car.
Don't get worked up too much buddy and I am sure you meant a "bailable offence", right ?

Quote:
My friend received an estimation of 9.9L towards the repair cost. TAFE has recommended to total the car to the Insurer. The decision is still pending with them. They would send 3 independent mechanics to inspect the car before a decision is made by the Insurance company (Future Generali). He is still waiting.
Future Generali ? Is that also an Italian company ? Never heard of them. In my opinion, there is nothing to salvage from that car, it is an outright total loss, what is there to repair ? TAFE has given the right estimate of 9.9L which is what the cost of a new car would be.

Your friend and his wife are not just lucky, they have been saved by God, please ask them to understand that and move on. I am sure he is not at too much of a loss financially.
esteem_lover is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks