Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2015, 10:10   #226
Senior - BHPian

re: Unusual / funny / heartwarming experiences on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resh@22 View Post
This is what happened to me in Bangalore. A huge herd of buffaloes dint let me go past and I ended up trailing them for over half a km. They covered both the lanes and weren't budging one bit. Finally had to take a u-turn to proceed further.
Attachment 1382769
this area looks familiar. is this HRBR layout?
Old 17th June 2015, 11:32   #227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
this area looks familiar. is this HRBR layout?
No, This is the road parallel to 1st main (S.T Bed), the one adjacent to the park.
I have spotted you in your Getz on 1st Main, so probably that's why it looks familiar?!
Resh@22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2015, 14:19   #228
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
Saw this Grand i10 driver spreading awareness regarding road safety with the medium of printed sheets along his rear windows in Pimple Saudagar, Pune few days back.

Hope this doesn't distract to cause new accidents. I say that sheer by the placement of that A4. Curious motorist's on the move may have to put some effort and almost turn 90 degree to read it. Rear windshield would have been much better.
Old 18th June 2015, 19:37   #229
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resh@22 View Post
This is what happened to me in Bangalore. A huge herd of buffaloes dint let me go past and I ended up trailing them for over half a km. They covered both the lanes and weren't budging one bit. Finally had to take a u-turn to proceed further.
Attachment 1382769
Are you on a Jungle Safari? and am i seeing a herd of wild buffaloes?

Well, it looks like a rare sighting in a city like Bangalore. Was n't there a buffalo shepherd to usher these beasts? Or is he one among them?
Old 19th June 2015, 10:38   #230
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by philgrac View Post
Are you on a Jungle Safari? and am i seeing a herd of wild buffaloes?

Well, it looks like a rare sighting in a city like Bangalore. Was n't there a buffalo shepherd to usher these beasts? Or is he one among them?
No this is right in the middle of the city (one of the bylanes to a main road I would say). Koramangala has a shed for Camels, Cows and buffaloes just beside National Games Village. Probably its parole time for these buffaloes!
And there was no shepherd either so they had their freedom being enjoyed at the fullest!
Resh@22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2015, 12:17   #231
BHPian

Yesterday (18 Jun ) while coming back from palam to gurgaon at around 0900 h, got stuck in traffic in front of CGDA office near airport. The traffic towards E-way was literally crawling, when i suddenly saw a lady in her forties stuck with her wagon R which had refused to start.

I could see people taking left / right away from her car and carrying on about their business, till i came and stopped right behind her. With temperature soaring on the northern side of 40, the lady was not able to get help from anyone. I gave her the enquiring looks and even through the closed interiors, could hear her saying "start nahi ho rahi"".

Being a fauji, we are trained to react properly in such situations, so i got down and tried to start her car. Though I am no car expert, i could gauge that either fuel system had taken air or there seemed to be an overheating issue due to AC running non stop. When starting it didnt work, i told the lady to get in the car and started pushing. the traffic in our lane had come to a halt. I hoped that seeing me push the Wagon R alone, someone might pitch in, but to my surprise no one did. It took me to pushes to get the car started, and the lady luckily drove off without bothering to thank me, else her car would have switched off again....

I got into my car (black SX4) and drove off too. its a different thing that it took me 90 minutes to reach the erstwhile toll plaza.

The lesson is that while the heat may be scorching, and we may be in a hurry to reach home / office, we should realise that tomorrow our sister / mother / wife could be in a similar situation, and help should come without thinking twice. Dont mean to take any praises, but was really disappointing to see hundreds of people just driving by. So thought i should share it.
SX4LOVER is offline   (67) Thanks
Old 19th June 2015, 14:53   #232
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

@SX4LOVER - hats off, great job helping someone in distress in those conditions

Quote:
Originally Posted by SX4LOVER View Post
Being a fauji, we are trained to react properly in such situations, so i got down and tried to start her car.
Yes sir, it shows!
It is such people like yourself who work tirelessly without any expectations in return and keep all of us in this country safe
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2015, 17:56   #233
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SX4LOVER View Post
I hoped that seeing me push the Wagon R alone, someone might pitch in, but to my surprise no one did. It took me to pushes to get the car started, and the lady luckily drove off without bothering to thank me, else her car would have switched off again...
Reminds me of one morning in Delhi... I was headed out to get some early coverage of the Auto Expo. However, there wasn't a taxi or rickshaw in sight - so i decided to walk in the general direction.

Along the way, i saw an elderly man in a Zen having trouble getting his car started, so i push started it while he sat inside. After a few attempts, it fired up!

I asked him if he could drop me to Pragati Maidan (2-3 km away), but he said he was going in the other direction, and drove off

Thankfully i got a rickshaw at the next junction!
Rehaan is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2015, 19:42   #234
BHPian

This incident took place the first time i drove from Bangalore to cochin. As i was driving along, i saw a small board directing a right to go to palakkad; but per my understanding, i had to go straight to Salem. wasn't sure if i actually saw the board or was i just hallucinating?
So stopped at a small bus stop where there were few people, rolled down my front passenger side window and asked the direction to Palakkad. One gentleman came front and told me to go straight to Salem and continue from there. As i was about to roll back my windows after thanking him, he asked me if i could drop him at Salem. I looked at him form 2 seconds and told him that i don't know him. He replied saying he is a police officer stationed at salem. I questioned him about his uniform and ID card. Suddenly he felt glad as i asked him for his ID card to check if he really is a cop. To the onlookers, he praised me saying "This is the way one should check, look at his smartness". Hearing those praises, i knew that the regular bus hadn't come by and the next but might be too late.

He pulled out one ID card and it did seem to be legitimate. Asked him if he is carrying any gun for which he said no. Told him to hop in, spoke with him in little bit Tamil that i could manage and after 30 minutes, we arrived at Salem. He thanked me and invited me to visit the police station next time i visit Salem.

Last edited by Accent Martin : 23rd June 2015 at 19:45.
Accent Martin is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 24th June 2015, 23:28   #235
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent Martin View Post
i saw a small board directing a right to go to palakkad; but per my understanding, i had to go straight to Salem. wasn't sure if i actually saw the board or was i just hallucinating?
No, you must have not been hallucinating. But you must have seen the right that goes to Palacode. Very similar names. but this one is between Hosur and Dharmapuri. Not on NH 7, but rather SH 17.
Old 25th June 2015, 09:14   #236
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archish View Post
But you must have seen the right that goes to Palacode. Very similar names. but this one is between Hosur and Dharmapuri. Not on NH 7, but rather SH 17.
SH17 Between Hosur and Dharmapuri ??
SH17 is Bangalore-Mysore Road
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2015, 09:24   #237
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archish View Post
But you must have seen the right that goes to Palacode. Very similar names. but this one is between Hosur and Dharmapuri.
Mr.Accent Martin did get the name right, contrary to what you're saying. The sign board is very much present, and it directs you to Palakkad through Mettur:
https://goo.gl/maps/a3ACF

This is where the sign board is found:
Unusual / funny / heartwarming experiences on the road-mettur_turnoff.jpg

On a busy week day, I was trying to turn right from Sarjapur road to the ORR at the signal. It's an acute angle at which we have to merge onto the ORR, and there will always be the smart alec who would want to overtake you right at the signal. This idiot in an Ertiga tried the same stunt, but I had no place to make way for him as there was also a ready-mix concrete truck to my left. A construction worker (judging from his helmet and clothes) was trying to cross the road at this very same moment. To save my car from the Ertiga's bullbars, I slightly veered to the left, a few inches separating my left ORVM from the truck's front bumper. The guy walking screamed something at me, as I now closed the gap that he must've planned to take. The cop at the signal, immediately asked the moron who squeezed from my right, to pull over, and he signalled me to move on. Did not quite expect the cop's gesture

Last edited by silversteed : 25th June 2015 at 09:25.
silversteed is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th June 2015, 10:58   #238
Distinguished - BHPian

This is an old story - around 1990 I guess. Back then we had a (Fiat) Premier Padmini back in Baroda. My grandparents had come visiting and one weekend we decided to visit the Amul factory at Anand. Do note there were 6 of us packed in the car - my parents, grandparents and us two kids.

About some 20 kms from Anand, we lose track of the route and stop to ask for directions to the factory to a lone guy on the roadside. Pat comes the reply

"I am heading the same direction - give me a lift, and I'll show you the route"

Hot and dry summer day, no AC (of course!), and 4 sweating adults with two extremely irritated kids packed up like sardines in a can, my dad was in no mood (or space) for another person! He politely declined stating the absence of space and repeated the request for directions.

Forget helping us, the guy shuts up like a clam and goes back and ignores us as if nothing had happened
ninjatalli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2015, 21:21   #239
Senior - BHPian

Here is my recent experience :
I dropped my Xuv at the service centre and wanted to take a bus to my town which is 15kms away.
I asked a person who was about to take off on his bike from a tea shop , about the location of the bus stop to catch the bus to my town. He asked me where i am going , and when i replied the town name , he told me to get on the bike , i thought he is going to drop me on the nearest bus stop. But he rode all the way to my town ( as he was also heading to the same town ) i was little scared and confused on why he offered me a lift on his bike when i didnt ask for. In the end , i got down at my town.
Strange. It was one scary and a different experience. .
Thanked him so much after getting down at my town and he smiled and rode off.

Last edited by undead : 25th June 2015 at 21:23.
undead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2015, 21:52   #240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent Martin View Post
we arrived at Salem. He thanked me and invited me to visit the police station next time i visit Salem.

Why the hell does he want you to visit the Police Station ?

Did that cop think the Police Station to be a State Guest house or what ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks