Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 11th February 2019, 19:31   #856
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Unusual / funny / heartwarming experiences on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyata View Post
I am generally very very choosy about which stranger I give a ride to. Once when returning from work, a school kid motioned for a ride not very far from home. Traffic being very light, I obliged.
I doubt he'll ever ask for a ride again with anyone after that episode. Hopefully he didn't feel tortured!
I was half expecting you to write that the kid asked you to stop the car and rather walk the remaining distance than bear the torture that you subjected him to.
drmohitg is online now   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2019, 20:15   #857
BHPian

Few days back my friend and I were in a (low) Honda City pulling out of an undivided road. A new gen Fortuner was turning into the road but stopped (due to car in front of him) in a way that it was diagonally facing us.

Although his low beams were on, considering he was much higher and the super bright led xenons, hit our eyes quite badly. Both of us kind of covered our eyes for those 2-3 seconds. When the Fortuner crossed us, the guy said sorry and smiled apologetically.

Very unlike the behaviour of most white Fortuner owners in Delhi NCR

Last edited by suhaas307 : 12th February 2019 at 01:41. Reason: Spacing
rayjaycleoful is online now   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2019, 20:52   #858
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayjaycleoful View Post
.. the guy said sorry and smiled apologetically.

Very unlike the behaviour of most ..
Similar incident recently: Was driving the A-Star, and a Fortuner with high-beams was behind me as we pulled up at a signal. His lights were way too bright even thru my mirrors. I rolled down my window and waved to him - signalled about his high-beam. He actually switched them off !

In situations where the other driver has been considerate, I try to do something for the person - the most common thing is to let the other guy pass. Here, his car being the more powerful one, I looked for an opportunity to do the same. But he pulled away into another street. Hope we have more people like him.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 12th February 2019 at 01:41. Reason: Reducing spacing
condor is online now   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2019, 21:35   #859
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsagar View Post
As promised, the car was back on road within 20 mins. He thanked us profusely.
Totally lived up to that moniker. Hope more and more of us become a bit like you. Good going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
I was half expecting you to write that the kid asked you to stop the car and rather walk the remaining distance than bear the torture that you subjected him to.
Haha...would have totally understood if he did that! I am a poor conversationalist otherwise!
Miyata is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2019, 00:25   #860
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
The US govt strongly advocates not giving lifts to hitchhikers though. There are boards put up on the highways mentioning the same.[/i]
Here is what happened to bunch of our friends who went for trekking in a forest in NY around 2016. They parked their car in one location went on to trek around afternoon. These folks were high of energy and they went deep inside the forest and forgot the way back. With no signal in phones, light is fading quickly, these guys panicked and somehow found a nearest road and looked for a ride to their car's parking.

One old American lady pulled her Chevy Suburban seeing these guys looking for a ride. In the typical American accent that lady asked about these guys what they are doing in mid of forest, when they told they need lift to the parking spot, she obliged. But before letting them in her car, she pulled a Glock from her jacket and shown these guys that if you ever try to do something to me, I will put the bullets into your body . Petrified seeing the gun in her hand and no help coming to them and no signal in phones, these guys silently went in the car and got dropped of at their parking.

While getting down, that lady advised them not to venture into forest in the evening time without proper guidance and asked them to carry a paper map always with them. That lady seems to be US army veteran and living in a small town nearby and also gave them a paper map to the interstate to get back to NYC.

P.S While riding in the car, my friends told us that they had all kind of thoughts imagining all Hollywood Psycho/Horror movies and they were relieved only after they saw civilization around the parking lot area .
hema4saran is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2019, 01:42   #861
Distinguished - BHPian

I was going thru this t-log & i just remembered this fun & exciting moment which happened some 6-7 years back.

I was on an unplanned trip to Vagamon in a KeSRTC. When our bus reached a place near Vagamon, we saw a crowded bus stopped in the side and a couple of jeeps stopped behind with people guiding the traffic. Our driver refused to go past stating there was no space and the other bus moved further to make space. While over taking the bus, I noticed the driver wearing an aviator sun glass and some one from the seat behind him spray something near his face. Thought its strange to see a driver sporting one in the high ranges without much sun. And even the guy looked so familiar. It was just in the next 10 seconds I realised it was Biju Menon , the actor and he infact had driven the bus to make way for us, starting from a small incline (mind you that was a crowded bus too). Wasnt convinced it was him, so came back and a quick check in the internet gave details of the Malayalam movie 'Ordinary' to re-confirm I indeed saw the right guy in the driver's seat. For the same sentiments, I watched the movie in the first week of release and the movie went to become a hit giving the debut director a place in the industry.

Those who dont know, Ordinary is the category in state transport buses which stops in all bus stops and is the least expensive. Then we have Limited Stops, Fast Passenger, Super Fast & Deluxe (Green color) buses.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 12th February 2019 at 01:58.
swiftnfurious is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2019, 06:36   #862
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
Before I could answer him, the four year old boy burst in and said "'This uncle is my uncle's car driver".

What could I say!
We can see this has had a profound influence on your choice of handle on this forum.
benbsb29 is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2019, 07:34   #863
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
We can see this has had a profound influence on your choice of handle on this forum
Actually - Factually no.

I am over two years old on the forum and the incident in question happened just yesterday.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
Today was the house warming ceremony
I can assure you that there was absolutely no prerecognition moment while filling up the entry form in Feb 2017 .

But on a serious note, when I look back at the driving I have done in the past decade, I realise that I have actually been driving people around more often than I thought I have. Mine was the first car in the family and friends' circle. So, people would hop in at the first available chance. I have ferried a bride to her wedding and a dying man to his home; I have helped people transport unimaginable numbers of luggage when they shifted houses or were getting up a feast. Not to mention the undocumented/able trips I have been on, helping dear and near ones distribute invites.

Remember the Wagon R referred to in my previous post? I was the one who drove it down from Bengaluru to my town after taking delivery from RNS. There have been many instances where, being the sole teetotaller in the group, I have driven a variety of cars to deliver blabbering souls safe to their homes. Another time, I had accompanied a friend and his two very naughty toddlers on a 500 km trip wherein my role was solely to drive.

Other than these, given my profession, I can also be accused of driving scores of teenagers mad, on a daily basis .

So, dailydriver I am!
dailydriver is online now   (10) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2019, 18:23   #864
Senior - BHPian

A very close friend “Chaddi dost - CD” is a resident of Hyderabad. Working for an IT Major in Bangalore. We casually met on Friday night to bid goodbye and wished him a safe journey, who was travelling from Bangalore to pick up his family in Hyderabad and return to Bangalore over the weekend. At any cost CD should reach office on Monday to meet his deadlines.

Saturday morning at 0630, heard a someone ringing door bell. Me being very lazy, sinking myself to catch up more sleep for the weekend, pleaded missus to attend to it, while I covered myself with blanket rolling over the mattress. He was a common friend of who came in 12 kms away from our house and sat next to me and mumbled “Our Chaddi dost met with an accident……”

I jumped myself over the bed and landed on my feet like an “Olympic pole vault athlete”. He pronounced “He is safe and sound, only the car had taken the beating. BTW, CD was trying to reach you over your mobile from close to an hour and phone was unanswered”. I regarded my wife to help in pursuit of my phone. I see 27 missed calls from CD.
Called back instantaneously and he reacted “Rey idiot, where did you stick your phone...@#$%@#$%^&*^%$#@^&....with bad obscenities. Yes, I deserve this for not attending his call while he was suffering. Have patiently consumed all the confrontations and waiting for him to pause!. I mellowed myself down and conversation goes on…

Myself : Are you hurt?
CD : NO, but car got into ditch on the road side.
Myself : Are you able to walk or any injuries to your body.
CD : NO, I’m absolutely fine.
Myself : Good. Which location is that?
CD : This happened at a hamlet called “Pamidi”, 35kms away from Anantapur towards Hyderabad and was explaining the whole scene……(I cut short the discussion)
Myself : I’m starting now, hang on there. See if you can find any shelter… and requested him to call the customer car for towing.

Started off to the location with my shorts. Informed missus to not to wait for me and promised her to keep in touch. Grabbed my wallet, keys and zoomed. During the travel, I was conversing with CD over the phone to console him, while CD was narrating the whole act like an episode from “Final Destination”. He had described couple of Landmarks to avoid passing the site. Back then, Google maps/location sharing/3G etc...were very feeble. Rather, we didn’t know how to use it. I pretend myself to be Michael Schumacher racing past every vehicle in sight, besides spotted a guy came sprinting raising his hand. I was puzzled, Who is this guy? After closing up, recognized him to be my friend: became tan from scorching sun, sweating all over, was not able to identify him from far-off distance. He was petrified & fumbling. Pulled over towards him and alighted. We hugged each other. There was a silence for brief period. We sat together under a the Mango tree, without dialogue. We were about to get emotional and breakdown into tears. It was a dramatic situation. Before it get worse, I recovered my conscious and said “Let’s walk down and inspect the vehicle.”

It took me Four hours to reach the mess. CD was trying to surpass a Truck which was on the extreme Left. while approaching the truck, the driver choose to take right to avoid a slow moving tractor in front him. CD panicked and slammed the brakes, pulled the car towards left after letting the truck pass. Due to loose gravel on the shoulder, car swung and landed front facing down, presenting its back into 8 meters deep storm water drain following the Mango orchid all along the road. We require a proper hauling truck to winch it up. The nearest tow truck needs at least 4hrs to reach and rescue.

In the middle of the day we were looking for a place to have decent diet/snack available. Upon probing the caretaker of Mango orchid, he led us to the same “Pamidi” village. This settlement is tucked 4kms away from the highway. On reaching the place, folks pointed us to a lady organizing a shack. CD was deprived of Breakfast since morning. The lady swiftly spread out plantain leaf and served steaming Rice, Sambar trailed by Rasam & Curd. After sumptuous lunch, we still had 3 more hours for the Tow truck to show up. There was Telugu flick screening in native tent opposite to the shack. We assumed to be the best way to spend some stint viewing the show. We received a call from truck driver. Winched the car onto the truck towards Hyderabad. Kurnool was the adjacent place to visit, subsequently the work takes time, we believed of Hyderabad to be ideal, as it would be easy to monitor the progress of the work with known service staff at our disposal. At 2200 hrs. got an acknowledgement from Truck driver too. We reached CD’s home, performed as if nothing had occurred.

Act of Destiny: CD supposed to reaching Home for breakfast, instead WE had supper together at his residence.

Following day, picked up CD’s family and resumed to Bangalore. All through the travel, CD’s wife had queries running in her mind:

What happened to our car?
Why did THIS fella came to Hyderabad?

It was CD’s turn, to respond to his partner.

Last edited by Ramsagar : 12th February 2019 at 18:29.
Ramsagar is offline   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2019, 22:14   #865
Distinguished - BHPian

Tuesday morning, near Freedom Park, BLR

There was a demonstration by a group of people providing citizen services, and the people wanted the state govt to extend some benefits to them (these people were not govt employees, but are providing official services). The demonstration was on the road adjacent to the park. The road blocked by cops from both ends. I had to pick up my cousin from there, since he was part of this group.

I pulled up next to the barricade, and a cop asked me to not park there. I told him why I was there, and would be moving in a few minutes. He was insistent. He came up and said quite politely but sternly - You look like someone who is sensible enough to understand what I am saying. If you still dont, then I will be forced to change my language and would then look like a senseless person. Pls go and park there - we wont say anything. (The spot he pointed out actually had no-parking boards).

I did move, and good too - my cousin took a little more time to come.

Looking back, the cop's approach was polite. He has his pressures. Not everyone would have cooperated, and that's what he faces every day.
condor is online now   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2019, 20:20   #866
Distinguished - BHPian

We were in Goa sometime back. The Tavera had already done a lot on that tank of diesel, and I knew we had to fill up. But as luck would have it, we missed a few pumps and we kept driving. Finished the task we had set out for, and it was time to return. Asked for pumps around, and the nearest one was 6 km away. We started our return leg, with the re-fuel being the immediate activity. But couple of km later, we ran dry. Cousin pulled over to the side. We emptied a 2 litre water bottle, and he offered to go to the nearest bunk. Flagged down an on-coming Tata Ace, and he got in. 20 meters down the road, they stopped and he got out. What do I see ? the driver of the Ace too got down, and both began to siphon out diesel from the tank of the Ace. The driver of the Ace had in stead offered diesel, so we could go on our own. And he only took the price of the diesel and not a paise more.

Hats off to that person, who came as a God send at that moment.

We easily reached the nearest bunk and did a top-up. The return journey was un-eventful, though I myself was quite empty much before we were able to get some decent snacks a few hours later.
condor is online now   (9) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2019, 12:36   #867
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
The driver of the Ace had in stead offered diesel, so we could go on our own. And he only took the price of the diesel and not a paise more.

Hats off to that person, who came as a God send at that moment.

For all you know, he made money off his owner's diesel!
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2019, 12:54   #868
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
For all you know, he made money off his owner's diesel!
Possibility is there. However, the guy was a Kannadiga. We were in a KA registered vehicle. He said he was the owner.

Even otherwise, 2 litres in a Ace would mean 35-40 km difference in distance for a tank of diesel. If he was making money off the owner, this difference for a tankful for local running would have needed a good explanation.

I dont want to go too deep into the back-grounds, but he helped us.
condor is online now   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote