Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2022, 12:35   #1141

Re: Pics: Accidents in India

On a lighter note, caught this small gem on my dashcam a few months ago.

The gentleman ahead of me was visibly unable to sit comfortably, jumped off at a signal to adjust himself, and jumped back on just in time as the signal turned green.

Our fellow motorist can make himself wealthy, if we submit this as an ad for Rupa Underwear or VIP Underwear.

apocalypse is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 10th January 2023, 20:40   #1142
BHPian

Re: Unusual / funny / heartwarming experiences on the road

So I encountered this pleasant surprise while crossing the road in my area(Vishal Nagar, Pimple Nilakh) to grab a cup of tea on Saturday evening.

As it happened; me, my better-half and my neighbor along with his wife and new born(6-7 month old kid in pram) were out on foot to grab a cup of tea in the neighbourhood tea jaunt.

We proceeded to cross the road via the intersection/zebra provided by the authorities after reaching close to the tea shop. There was usual traffic and we crossed the first part of road. Now, to cross the second part of road, we were waiting for traffic to clear so that we can start crossing along with the kid’s pram.

To our pleasant surprise, a lady driver in the wagon-R stopped gently and gestured us to cross the road. I was pleasantly surprised and was happy to see this. We all thanked her and quickly moved to the other side of the road.

We generally are very quick to point out errors of others on road(including me), so thought of sharing this pleasant experience here.
abhi_tjet is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 10th January 2023, 23:18   #1143
BHPian

This Happened last week. For some reason despite many Two-wheeler riders informing the driver about the rear numberplate that was barely holding on and about to fall off, this driver chose to speed away. It was a very strange to me as to why he didnt get down and check when he had enough time at the signal or he could have pulled to the road side and removed the number plate.
He doesn't like his registration number I think.

Old 10th January 2023, 23:49   #1144
Senior - BHPian

We are currently having a Snowstorm in Helsinki for the last 2 days. Life, however, doesn't stop and everybody gets on with life as usual and so did wife and I and we went to the gym in the morning. When we returned to the parking after 90 mins, we saw a pile of snow on our car. It was garage parked the previous night which meant it had no snow on it when we went there. A 80 yr old man was to get into his Mercedes E Class parked next to ours and was clearing the snow on his car.

Meanwhile, I got a bit lazy and I tried to run the wipers till they cleaned the windscreen. Seeing this, the old man thought I did not have a snow clearing brush and pleasantly surprised us by starting to proactively clear off the snow from our car. before I could even react and get out of the car, man had cleared off my side windows. I got out, thanked him and quickly pulled out my snow clearing brush and started cleaning my car while embarrassingly admitting my laziness. In the meantime, I asked him why he did what he did.

Apparently he thought I would drive away in a 'Igloo Car' - A car with only a small viewing port cleared on the windscreen.
Pic is self-explanatory.

Unusual / funny / heartwarming experiences on the road-igloo-car.png

He shared his concern that Finland has far too many Igloo cars on the road during the winter which is highly unsafe. This man is an example of the kind heartedness of Finnish people. Won't forget. he paid it forward, now I have to.

Last edited by 14000rpm : 10th January 2023 at 23:51.
14000rpm is offline   (59) Thanks
Old 11th January 2023, 10:24   #1145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi_tjet View Post
To our pleasant surprise, a lady driver in the wagon-R stopped gently and gestured us to cross the road. I was pleasantly surprised and was happy to see this. We all thanked her and quickly moved to the other side of the road.
When what is to be the norm becomes an exception it is always pleasantly surprising

I make it a point to stop for pedestrians waiting on zebra crossings keeping an eye on the rear view mirror and it's always nice to see a flicker of joy on their faces. But then there are some who decide to cross at a snail's pace for whatever reason!
deathwalkr is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th January 2023, 12:30   #1146
BHPian

I also try to give way (when possible) to elders and people with children when they are crossing the road. But some idiots thinking there is a gap and try to get ahead
adi.mariner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2023, 10:34   #1147
BHPian

Amazing!! Giving way to pedestrians and such acts fall way short, though definitely thoughtful, of what this old finnish gentleman did. He went way out of his way, and tried to remove snow off someone else's car. This is the behaviour we ought to display to our children, to make this world, a much happier place to dwell in .

regards
fawad0222 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2023, 00:25   #1148
BHPian

I had a very pleasant experience at a BPCL pump today, putting it here because I could find only threads for petrol pump scams.

I had accumulated significant reward points in my octane credit card and thought of redeeming some of it. Doing it for the first time so I wasn’t familiar with the process. I went to a BPCL pump listed for redemption and asked them to put petrol for 2000. Paid the amount swiping my debit card and casually asked if I could redeem my reward points. The attendant said yes and they could have done it if I had told before swiping the debit card. I said it’s ok, I will redeem next time. To my complete surprise, he tells me “you go there and redeem your points. I will refund the amount you swiped as cash if you are okay with it.” I went to the manager, redeemed the points for 2000 INR worth of fuel, got back the 2000 as cash from the attendant, thanked him for going out of the way to help me and drove off smiling!

Best moment of the day for me
and they surely got the loyalty of two customers spending at least 20000 on fuel every month.

Last edited by Night Raven : 3rd February 2023 at 00:52.
Night Raven is offline   (52) Thanks
Old 14th February 2023, 22:31   #1149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Raven View Post
I had a very pleasant experience at a BPCL pump today, putting it here because I could find only threads month.
Most of the BPCL pumps especially the ones that are big have good customer support and they maintain the bunks well also. I always check tyre pressure after filling fuel. HP, Indian oil bunks dont even have these features. So i always fill up in BPCL only.
DhinaStark94 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2023, 10:52   #1150

It was a dark and stormy night . Like really. And raining cats and dogs

I was driving back with my wife from Commercial Street in Bangalore to JP Nagar 7th phase in a Polo GT TSI. Somewhere along there was an intersection

Unusual / funny / heartwarming experiences on the road-carsh.png
Seconds before the crash

The Swiggy person came out of nowhere and crashed on my side. He was in one of those tint blue e-cycles. He fell on the ground. I stopped the car and got down

And this guy's first reaction is "Where are you looking while driving?" ["Kidhar dekh ke chala rahe ho boss?" were the exact words]

He showed his damage. Chappal broken, small skin bruise of his leg, and his earphones broken.

I calmy told him, "Sir, you know this is your mistake. You came from the side and rammed my car left side of the door full speed without slowing"

To my surprise, he replied, "Yes, I know it is my fault too. It is just that I said that out of habit"

I was very taken aback. Anyway, I felt pretty bad looking at his state. Plus I have a massive soft corner for all the delivery people for keeping us alive in COVID. So I paid him enough cash to get new chappals, new earphones, and to go to a doctor if needed for his bruise

He thanked me and left. I guess everyone was okay that night

I still have a very small dent on the left of my car as a reminder of this incident
tuffenberg is offline   (96) Thanks
Old 15th February 2023, 11:32   #1151
BHPian

I'd like to share my experience with an attendant at the Essar Fuel station, located on the AP-KA border on the Yelhanka-Hindupur highway. This particular incident happened about a year ago, but it's still fresh in my memory. I requested the attendant to fill up my tank with fuel worth Rs.2000. However, due to a mistake on my part, I gave him Rs.2500 instead. As I began to drive away, the attendant rushed after my car, calling out to me and insisting that I take back the extra Rs.500.

This act of honesty and integrity truly amazed me, and I've been a loyal customer at this fuel station ever since. It's such a rare and heartening experience to come across people who prioritize honesty and ethics above all else. I'm grateful to the Essar Fuel attendant for setting such a high standard for customer service and for showing us that honesty and integrity still exist in this world.
Caffeinated_Owl is offline   (41) Thanks
Old 15th February 2023, 12:31   #1152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DhinaStark94 View Post
Most of the BPCL pumps especially the ones that are big have good customer support and they maintain the bunks well also. I always check tyre pressure after filling fuel. HP, Indian oil bunks dont even have these features. So i always fill up in BPCL only.
I have had a similar experience. While the closest petrol pump to my place is one run by Indian Oil and the next one is by HP, I travel almost a couple of kms further to fill up at BPCL pump on Sarjapura road, the one near Kaikondrahalli lake coz they have a better service while filling and there is always someone manning the Air and do not ask for any tips, best part, I always end up filling my car with Nitrogen as it is offered for free. The other stations first of all do not have a working Air station and you have a puncture shop which charges you for any services including filling Air. I would have loved to fill up at Shell as they have a different level of service altogether but their fuel is way to expensive as compared to BPCL.
samee_arian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2023, 12:16   #1153
BHPian

Few Months back I got bumped by a car from behind at a red light! I was both surprised and shocked! How can you not notice a red light and piled up cars in front of you!!

Even before I could get off the car, the driver came down to apologize. Now, that in Delhi is such a rarity that I was quite taken aback!

But then I noticed, he was an elderly person with quite some grace! It turns out the poor old man had fallen in tough times during COVID and has been forced to take up driving cabs to make ends meet. He was not very tech savvy yet and was still struggling with smartphones, apps and maps. He had actually stopped behind me, but then he was so engrossed in the map that he let his foot off the brakes; there was a slope and hence his car rolled and bumped mine.

Honestly, I felt bad for the person. COVID has created so many challenges for so many people, and seeing such a graceful old man reduced to driving cabs made me feel lucky that I still have a decent job and life!

We parted ways with a handshake. There was no major damage to my car, and having some dents is given in Delhi, right?
amitayu is offline   (109) Thanks
Old 16th February 2023, 19:37   #1154
BHPian

One fine morning, when I had just woken up, the doorbell rang. Upon opening the door, I saw a gentleman but a complete stranger.

Stranger: My name is ABC and I live in Apt# xxx and your parking is next to mine. While parking my car this morning, my car accidentally bumped into yours and may be put a minor scratch.

Me (surprised): Thanks, appreciate your honesty but I think my car already has many scratches I will have a look and if it's a big one, will contact you..

Stranger(even more surprised): Sure. Here is my mobile number just in case.

I did try to see if there was indeed a noticeable scratch but did not find any.

I still used to see that person once in a while in the complex for some time. Needless to say, we never talked about the incident again.
OffRoadFun is offline   (45) Thanks
Old 16th February 2023, 21:32   #1155
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffRoadFun View Post
Stranger: My name is ABC and I live in Apt# xxx and your parking is next to mine. While parking my car this morning, my car accidentally bumped into yours and may be put a minor scratch.
I did this with my known neighbour in London. I was over-ambitious in getting into the amount of space available, and just caught his rear bumper with my front bumper while reversing.

I was late night, so I called round the next day. He kept his car immaculate, and I would have been absolutely willing to pay for the touch-up job.

He took it very graciously --- and never mentioned it again.

Funny thing about that was, the 21-yr-old son had had his birthday party the previous week when the parents were away and he thought I'd come round to complain about the noise! Sure, it was loud... but heck no: a normally-quiet house is entitled to one noisy party in a decade! No complaints from me --- except being too old to join in the fun!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (31) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks