Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2023, 01:11   #1171
BHPian

Re: Unusual / funny / heartwarming experiences on the road

Mods, please delete if contravening the rules.

INR20,000/- in cash for a broken orvm? Irrespective of who was at fault, I really am amazed at the cash component.

Different rules I guess for those with that kind of cash.

Money does make the world go smoothly.

I personally do not and cannot condone that kind of behaviour.

Last edited by Rehaan : 23rd March 2023 at 16:17. Reason: Original post edited as per our rules.
mygodbole is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th March 2023, 09:28   #1172
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mygodbole View Post
Mods, please delete if contravening the rules.

INR20,000/- in cash for a broken orvm? Irrespective of who was at fault, I really am amazed at the cash component.

Money does make the world go smoothly.

I personally do not and cannot condone that kind of behaviour.
This is very confusing. Why are you amazed, what are the different rules?
What behavior, mis- or other wise, calls for condoning in this incident?

Last edited by Rehaan : 23rd March 2023 at 16:18. Reason: Original post edited as per our rules.
mayankk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2023, 11:10   #1173
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mygodbole View Post

I suppose it's the price one pays for peace of mind. 20K seems excessive for a broken mirror, though. I would have probably offered 5k or insurance shortfall.

Last edited by Rehaan : 23rd March 2023 at 16:18. Reason: Original post edited as per our rules.
Old 17th March 2023, 12:10   #1174
Senior - BHPian

If it is the current gen Octavia, the ORVM assembly does cost around 20k with painting, given it is an auto dimming and heated unit. (L&K and vRS trims)
DRIV3R is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 17th March 2023, 14:27   #1175
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
ORVM assembly does cost around 20k with painting
Thanks, I was about to google. VAG spares are not known for being cheap.

I have forgotten the numbers posted, but it mentioned that an insurance claim was made and paid. With cash-in-hand from a willing person who admitted fault, I don't know why the victim would claim insurance. But hey, I am not suggesting to add yet another point to discuss from this incident. To me, the OP was a heart-warming experience.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2023, 15:43   #1176
BHPian

Refer post # 1166 for context and contrast

Capri89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2023, 16:15   #1177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
Here is one incident which I'd like to share.

A few days back, we were riding my friend's Carnival in Noida, the chauffy was driving, owner in front seat and we 2 guys in the middle row. The car was overtaking an Octavia when the carnival owner suddenly asked his driver to park on the roadside as he wanted to purchase something, while the driver braked and turned the wheel a bit, the Octavia got hit by the rear section of the Carnival.
I'm afraid this is not something to be emulated or encouraged.

- Four grown men, asking a kid to come out of the car after an incident (even in jest) doesn't inspire confidence.

- Paying 20k for an external rear mirror without a thought and unsolicited.

- Asking for dash cam footage to be deleted.

Not something I'd be proud of.

Last edited by vb-saan : 11th April 2023 at 13:29. Reason: Quoted post edited
J2022 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th March 2023, 12:18   #1178
BHPian

Me and a colleague were driving to Tezu from Pasighat, Arunachal Pradesh on a typical monsoon rainy day. The going was good with excellent roads and fresh greenery all around. We were crossing a village area near Roing when I saw a mother carrying her infant in rain without an umbrella. I wanted to stop and hand over the umbrella I had but didn't for inexplicable reasons. My colleague noticed this too and said they were probably just heading across the street to some nearby place. Still I couldn't help but feeling bad and drove on with the scene of the drenched baby in mind. As a father myself, I have become more sensitive to the fact that not all of us have the same resources at our disposal.

As we drove further away from Roing, I saw another mother pulling a reluctant toddler in the rain on their way to some place without an umbrella. This time, there was no hesitation and I promptly turned around my car and stopped to hand over my umbrella to the lady. My colleague who had witnessed all this without a word handed over his umbrella to the lady and found out they were headed to Roing. As we were moving in the opposite direction, we could not offer a lift but she thanked us with a simple smile.
gunin is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 11th April 2023, 08:45   #1179
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

An experience from a recent trip to Tiruvannamalai:
Three friends visited the Adi Tiruvarangam temple, returned to Tiruvannamalai and had lunch at a hotel. While two of us had the South Indian Thali meal, the third friend had the North Indian thali. The total bill was Rs.723 and I paid with my credit card.

Few hours later, we were resting at our serviced apartment when I received an SMS for the credit card transaction. I was surprised to see that the amount was Rs.7.23!

That evening, we visited the Arunachaleswarar temple, completed the Girivalam walk barefoot (circumambulation of the Arunachala hill) and crashed to sleep around 2am.

While having breakfast the next day, this incorrect transaction was still playing on my mind, so after a couple of Ashram and temple visits, we drove all the way to the other side of the town to the same hotel. Not just the Stewards and Cashier, even their accounts manager hadn't noticed the mistake and were shocked and profoundly thankful when I asked them to swipe the card which they did for the balance amount

Last edited by NPV : 11th April 2023 at 08:47.
NPV is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 11th April 2023, 13:48   #1180
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
... The total bill was Rs.723 and I paid with my credit card. ... ... ... when I received an SMS for the credit card transaction. I was surprised to see that the amount was Rs.7.23!
This has happened both ways for me. maybe 15 years ago, when thousands of Rs still seemed a lot money, I saw a debit of thousands rather than hundreds. We had not gone far from the shop and rushed back there. I think it was six or seven thousands! Actually, that was more than the monthly rent I was paying then.

The cashiers accepted the error, but were unsure what to do about it. Eventually, they asked if they could just give us the balance in cash, and we agreed.

On revisiting a gift shop after some weeks, the owner showed me that he had a made a mistake similar to your instance. I hadn't noticed that at the time. I gladly paid the difference.

In both cases all parties ended up happy.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th April 2023, 20:17   #1181
Distinguished - BHPian

Go paaji, go !

https://www.cartoq.com/tata-harrier-...e-hands-video/

came across this video .. cool way to solve the problem of a badly parked car blocking the road !
condor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th April 2023, 22:18   #1182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Go paaji, go !

https://www.cartoq.com/tata-harrier-...e-hands-video/

came across this video .. cool way to solve the problem of a badly parked car blocking the road !
After watching the video clip a couple of times, I am beginning to wonder if it was scripted. I might be totally wrong in my judgement, but the way co-passenger recorded the episode makes me believe so.
Emvi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th May 2023, 11:29   #1183
BHPian

From today's Times of India, Bangalore print edition:

Unusual / funny / heartwarming experiences on the road-20230507_112535.jpg

Unusual / funny / heartwarming experiences on the road-20230507_112555.jpg
DigitalOne is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th May 2023, 11:05   #1184
Distinguished - BHPian

BIG B shelves car owing to traffic jam, rides pillion on a stranger's Royal Enfield Himalayan to reach his workplace and shared the incident on Instagram. Incidentally, the riders are not wearing helmets.

Big B thanked the stranger for helping him reach for work, faster.

The two images of this memorable ride shared by Amitabh Bachchan.

Unusual / funny / heartwarming experiences on the road-tumblr_78c9d04523277bc110e339ebcecaa425_e3d6c9f2_2048.jpg

Unusual / funny / heartwarming experiences on the road-tumblr_c46e1093e584f16cbf86b8c9dc156401_054797a3_2048.jpg

Source: https://www.instagram.com/p/CsO9OTeh..._web_copy_link

Last edited by Rehaan : 17th May 2023 at 09:37. Reason: Merging the pictures into your earlier post :)
anjan_c2007 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 15th May 2023, 11:18   #1185
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
BIG B shelves car owing to traffic jam, rides pillion on a stranger's bike to reach his workplace and shared the incident on instagram. Incidentally, the riders are not wearing helmets :-
It's a sad reflection of the normal state of the life on the street that neither of them are/were wearing helmets; and there's no concern shown to that in the post or otherwise.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 15th May 2023 at 14:40. Reason: Quoted post edited
ninjatalli is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed