Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2012, 19:06   #16
BHPian

re: Unusual / funny / heartwarming experiences on the road

Quote:
What will you call this friends? Isn't it a divine stroke?
Even to this date this instance remains a very special and mesmerizing one to me.
Well in those days am sure it would have been bloody hard to find help given the lack of communication facility. This incident if you ask me is nothing but divine intervention and there must be a reason for it. God Bless.
Old 26th August 2012, 01:09   #17
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

One more from a Chennai trip:
I had excellent detailed directions to reach T Nagar from Sriperumbudur from @narayans80 and my wife was helping with navigation. After we got onto Mount Poonamallee Road we were to reach St. Thomas Mount and then follow it past a 90 degree turn. We crossed a few traffic lights and bumper to bumper traffic but no sight of the turn so when I stopped at one of the lights, I decided to enquire with a motorist. I saw the motorist right next to me quite close to my car and there was a lady riding pillion. I asked him for St. Thomas Mount to make sure we have not missed the turn. He asked me to just proceed straight. Sensing that the light was now going to turn green he gestured to me to proceed straight and while still looking towards me he starts moving forward slowly across the road in an angle where he would end up right in front of my bumper. My car was still completely stopped but the motorist now got too close to my car and the lady's foot brushed on my car's front tyre hub cap and then the side of the bumper. The guy suddenly started losing balance and being short could not put his legs down to regain the balance and in a second he went down on his right side and the lady also fell down slowly almost in slow motion. This was the turning point - the guy gets up and starts shouting at me saying it was me who brushed against his bike at the signal
I tried telling him that he was the one who starting moving too close to my car but he would not listen he kept shouting and everyone on the road was looking at us. The light now turned green and the vehicles behind us started honking and shouting at us to move forward. The motorist was up now and started moving forward. Just ahead there were cops also looking us wondering what happened. I expected them to stop me but they did not and we just kept moving ahead but lost the motorist by the time we reached the next traffic light - good riddance!

Last edited by NPV : 26th August 2012 at 01:13.
Old 26th August 2012, 20:27   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post

Not sure if we both talking about same incident. However remember a same kind of incident long back (may be ~15 yrs) where people started collecting petrol / kerosene from a tanker which met with accident and while doing so the tanker caught fire. Images of half burnt people crawling out of the fire was horrible.
Nope it has to be something different, I can still remember the footage after all these years. They were all villagers, somewhere in North India. None of them seemed to be bothered about the plight of the ones who met with the accident.

There was no fire, they were burnt by concentrated acid. Very disturbing.

This happened when I was in school. Was a DD coverage, ( from a safe distance with tele lens ).

At that time, I felt it must be poverty that drove people to do such things. Now, I am not so sure. So I try to convince myself with the usual Happy Indian logic, its not so bad, there are other countries with people that are far worse than we are.
Old 26th August 2012, 21:29   #19
BHPian

My cousin had come from Kerala and we all decided to go to ISKCON Bangalore. I was not familiar with the route and i went all the way till Matri mall. I was not sure how to go after that. Asked an auto guy and got a reply ''Go straight and take a turn'. I was still confused and asked the BMTC driver at the next signal. The signal turns green and he shouts 'Follow me'.. and starts driving.

I followed him for many turns and 2 cars come in between the bus and my car. At the next signal i could see the conductor getting out of the bus and walking in the signal looking for my car and then he comes to my car and says, 'Sir, we go right from here. You take a left and go straight and you can see ISKCON on the left side'.

I was really wonderstuck and never expected this from BMTC drivers. Got a feeling that there are some good ppl also in the BMTC drivers crowd.
ArunV is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 27th August 2012, 00:03   #20
Senior - BHPian

Really nice and very different kind of a good experience. Goes to show that we never can know the difference between angels and demons, no matter how much we educate ourselves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArunV View Post
At the next signal i could see the conductor getting out of the bus and walking in the signal looking for my car and then he comes to my car and says, 'Sir, we go right from here. You take a left and go straight and you can see ISKCON on the left side'.

I was really wonderstuck and never expected this from BMTC drivers. Got a feeling that there are some good ppl also in the BMTC drivers crowd.

What car were you driving ? Maybe that struck a chord in that bus driver/conductor's mind ? Some of these same bus drivers are also into cars and bikes and stuff, maybe you struck gold here finding someone like that.

Note from the Team-BHP Support: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the same thread.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 27th August 2012 at 08:24.
esteem_lover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2012, 13:24   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Wonder why cops WAIT for an offence and then penalise instead of being out there preventing one !!
Reason is because, as valid driving licence holders we should be aware of road rules and signs and if we must obey them. Penalizing for offence is the only way to prevent a repeat offence. At least one will be more careful after being fined by a cop.
Old 27th August 2012, 18:35   #22
BHPian

This incident happened in morning pune traffic.
Near Bombay Sappers on Alandi Road you take right towards Yerwada. Now, it is a circular go around and are supposed to be slow to take the turn.

I brake just before turning right as a scooty cuts across. Now an esteem guy was quite fast, may be misjudged the distance, and rear-ended me with huge thud.. May be he skid or did not anticipate and brake.

I was boiling with rage. Got out of the car and rushed to check the damage, he apologized and told me that there is no damage and it was his mistake.

I saw there was no damage as he said..told him to drive carefully and drove off..

No point abusing just to prove a point !!

P.S; Why is everyone in Pune tail ending the car in front, but on free road they go at 40 on right lane?

Cheers,
MKP
mkpiyengar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th August 2012, 19:37   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpiyengar View Post
P.S; Why is everyone in Pune tail ending the car in front, but on free road they go at 40 on right lane?
they usually wait for someone to follow/ tailgate I guess.
No offence meant, but I didnt find anything unusual in the incident.
Old 28th August 2012, 10:26   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
they usually wait for someone to follow/ tailgate I guess.
No offence meant, but I didnt find anything unusual in the incident.
Yes, you are right, You need to honk your way to make them give way. Mostly they speed up and do not budge from Right lane !!

What is unusual is if you need to go slow why not use left lane ? What seems to be the problem ?? Right lane is anyway for overtaking and not coasting at 40.

Cheers
MKPI
Old 28th August 2012, 11:47   #25
Senior - BHPian

Once in my Indica about five years ago, I was returning from office around late evening. It was raining heavily and visibility was comprommised.
When I stopped due to the slow traffic, I saw something hop about below my driver side window and go into the puddle at the side of the road. I thought it may be a bull-frog due to the water displaced. And the next minute, I see the Sumo driver ahead of me, get down and collect the Frog.
It turned out to be a wheel cover, which came off, maybe hitting a pothole.
hrman is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2012, 12:21   #26
BHPian

Here is my amazing experience. This happened about five weeks ago on a lazy Sunday afternoon when I took my motorbike out for an hour long "keep the battery alive" spin. On the return leg, I was on Navi Mumbai's infamous Palm Beach road on the extreme right lane at approximately 80-90 KMPH. At the next set of red lights, I was asked to pull over by two traffic cops. The conversation ensued (reported below in English as opposed to the original Hindi for greater clarity) with me still wearing my helmet (visor up) and my full nomex suit, gloves and boots and very much looking like Darth Vader.

License - Check
Registration - Check
PUC - Check
Insurance - Check

Cop 1: You'll have to pay a challan of Rs.250
Self: Why?
Cop 2: Lane cutting. You are in a motorcycle. You should be in the left most lane. ACP Sahib called yesterday and has asked us to fine motorcycle racers like you.

[Comment to readers - I am no racer but drive what is a reasonably fast motorcycle and wear a lot of safety gear that may give that impression.]

Self: Ok Sir, I didnt know that.

I shrugged my shoulders and proceeded to take my gloves off and then my helmet and as I reached for my wallet; both the cops said, "Leave it Sir, you can go."

I was stumped but still insisted on paying the fine but the cops refused. They said, "You are an aged man, like us. We cant take money from you".

HUH!!!

It then dawned upon me, it was my salt and pepper hair! I greyed in my early twenties!!! All for the color of my hair! Anyway, I thanked the cops for their consideration and rode the last 2K's back home and narrated the story to the missus with a declaration, "Never will I ever invest in Garnier color again". I am an old man and quite happy with the benefits!!!

Best regards.
Suedehead is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 28th August 2012, 12:26   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikanthns View Post
From Lattice Bridge road to Sardar Vallabhai patel I did not wait for anything and took a left turn thinking it was a free left which it was not. Bang in front of me was a traffic sergeant who stopped me.
I live very very close to this signal and this still happens. Two wheelers and four wheelers take the left and the next second a traffic cop would stop them. I think this is the only signal where 'No Free Left Turn' rule is adhered to by even MTC bus drivers.
Old 28th August 2012, 13:55   #28
BHPian

Ok this is something that happened when I was a Kid. Mom Dad Myself My Younger Sister and an driver were the occupants of the AMBY. Routing was Munnar to Trichy. Departed munnar at around 5pm, by the time we were reaching the plains from the ghat section it was around 7.45pm. My dad was driving the car until this point and handed it over to the driver as he wanted to relax for sometime.

Still crossing the chinnar forest (which was an extension of the infamous sathyamangalam forest known in those days for veerapan's activities). All of a sudden we spot 3 men trying to block the single lane road and two of them had sticks in their hands. But all thanks to god and drivers presence of mind, he floored the amby and raced towards them. With no hint of us stopping, the men stepped aside. We raced to the nearest check post and alerted the authorities and they immediately dispatched a team. Once again thank god for making through this wierd incident.
BoeingDriver is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th August 2012, 14:10   #29
BHPian

I just remembered another incident on our way to Goa from Pune. We were somwhere in the Amboli ghat's (pretty remote section) & the sun was just setting & we noticed an old farmer walking his goats. We managed to get a glimpse of his face which was very tired & also very weird for some reason, can't explain it.
After about approx 5kms down the road we saw the same guy again, this freaked us out both. My wife & I did not say a word till we reached Goa. We tried to eliminate the possibilities, but the only logical explanation we could come up with was maybe that fellow had a twin brother :o)
Till date, we haven't discussed that episode as we get goose bumps just thinking about it.
mb_jg is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th August 2012, 14:19   #30
BHPian

I could immediately recollect this --

It happened a couple of years back and I was still part of the company after the biggest corporate scam came to light in Jan 2009. Just the next weekend after that I was driving with my family near Sancheti Hospital and was pulled over. I somehow forgot to fasten my seat belt and stopped after the signal. Upon enquiring and seeing family onboard the cop asked what do I do and where do I work. As soon as I told him my company name his immediate reaction was "deu shakaal ka fine?" meaning would you be able to give the fine since you must not have received your salaries
I told him "mala harkat nahi jar niyam todala asel tar" meaning "If I've broken the rules, I dont mind paying for it" And he let me off the hook.
advaitlele is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed