Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2016, 13:06   #406
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Unusual / funny / heartwarming experiences on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post
Fully agreed, but we were already sitting in a grid lock with no lanes moving, and the whole episode played out in less than a minute.

Regards
Dieseltuned
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/w...ourt/20513845/

But again, this is hardly foreseeable/applicable in India. . So lets do what we can, when we can.
Old 12th February 2016, 21:12   #407
BHPian

It seems our friends in this forum didn’t mind the very long post I wrote previously in this very thread. I sincerely thank everyone who had the patience to read it. I now take the liberty to post another long story that runs into a couple of pages.

This is about one of my truck rides from Vijayawada to Hyderabad in the 1980s. Truck rides for short journeys were quite normal those days; especially for people of the lower middle class and below. People used to stand by the sides of roads to hitch rides on trucks. The number of buses that were operated by APSRTC was never sufficient. Most of the buses were “passenger” class buses and these would be packed to the full. “Express” class buses don’t stop in the small towns or villages. There were no autos, tempos or mini buses in these small towns. So the trucks used to double up as people carriers. In some routes people could be seen filling every inch of space in the cabin, above the cabin and over the load as well.

It was a good source of additional income for the truck drivers and cleaners. Consequently, the trucks used to take much longer to complete their journeys because they would be stopping and starting for the passengers frequently. Those were the days when people had much more time and everything moved at a much more leisurely pace.

There were many truck owners around my home in Vijayawada. There were trucks operating to almost all parts of the country. So truck rides were the preferred mode of transport for short journeys for almost everyone in our locality. Since we know the owners of the trucks, we had the privilege of ‘reserved seats’ in truck journeys. If we can’t find a suitable truck ride on the planned date, only then we booked tickets for a train or a bus. We did like to save whatever we can; as they say, every little helps.

My uncle lived in Hyderabad. Since Hyderabad was the most frequent destination for the trucks, I used to find one whenever I wanted to visit my uncle. One such ride was in a truck that had a load of iron billets. The truck, a Leyland Comet, was overloaded by 1.6 tonnes. Since the billets were very heavy, there was a lot of space in the load bay despite the overloading.

The owner of the truck briefed the driver about the overloading before we started. There was a check post just outside Hyderabad at a short distance from Dilsukh Nagar (those days, Dilsukh Nagar was considered back of beyond). Most of the times there will be a ‘Brake Inspector’ in this check post and there was a risk of the truck getting impounded because of the excess load. So the owner told the driver to give a bribe of 20 rupees to the Brake Inspector. It was the going rate, so it should resolve the issue.

Now normally, truck drivers are street smart; they know how to handle these things very well. But our driver seemed to be a simpleton. We began our journey at about 0830 in the evening. As expected, the driver started taking passengers. One passenger had a load of 12 sacks of rice weighing 100 KG each. The driver negotiated a good fare but now the excess load of the truck is 2.8 tonnes.

The truck huffed and puffed its way to the outskirts of Hyderabad. It was about 0530 in the morning when we reached the check post and parked by the side of the road. There were 10 – 12 trucks waiting to be checked.

As luck would have it, there was a surprise inspection on that post and a number of high officials from the RTA were present. Everything was being checked thoroughly. The Brake Inspector had nothing to do because everything was being done by the squad from the RTA. He was just standing by and watching the proceedings.

I was only a school boy, but even I could see that things are not normal. Oblivious to the serious situation, our simpleton walked straight into the check post and asked the first person he saw “Sir, who is the brake inspector?” This immediately drew the attention of some of the squad members.

The brake inspector responded, “yes, that’s me, what do you want”? This simpleton approached the Inspector with a stupid smile on his face, pulled out a 20 rupee note from his pocket and offered it in full view of the squad. This act stunned the Brake Inspector and all those who were watching. For a moment, the Brake Inspector was speechless. As soon as he recovered his senses, he gave the driver a resounding slap on the face.

The Inspector abused the driver with some choice expletives and demanded to check the papers of the truck. He then ordered the truck to the weigh bridge to check the load. Now we are in deep trouble. The driver was bemused; he still didn’t get it. Orders and abuses were barked at him in quick succession. I really believe that if he was allowed to talk, he would have offered a bigger sum, again in full view of everyone.

Seeing this, all the passengers except me and the owner of the rice bags slunk away. I had to stick with the truck because my uncle is to pick me up from the unloading point of the truck. Also, the owner of the truck is known to my family. That made me an accomplice of sorts.

First they said they are going to confiscate the rice bags. The owner immediately fell on the feet of all and sundry, begging for mercy. He was told to unload the bags and wait by the side. Then they checked the way bill and found that the load of iron billets belonged to a well-known forging company that belonged to a well-known politician who was an MP. So they immediately tried contacting the company to inform them about the situation. Since it was early in the morning their calls went unanswered (there were no cell phones at the time).

In the meanwhile, the driver found a phone booth and called up the owner. The owner somehow contacted the forging company. By 0900, the representatives of the company arrived at the check post. They had a conversation in low voices with the officials, nod-nod, wink-wink, and the driver was summoned. He was ordered to go to the destination, unload the billets and come back to the check post for further action. They retained the papers of the truck to make sure that the driver comes back.

We resumed our journey in a sullen mood. Within 15 minutes we reached a T junction. NH 9, in those days was just a two lane road without a traffic divider. A bus was blocking the left lane right at the T junction. There was incoming traffic on the other lane, so our trucker slowed down to let the traffic pass. He was rolling on the left lane behind the bus while he waited for an opportunity to get on the right lane and pass the bus. By the time the right lane was clear, he was too close to the bus. He should have stopped and backed up to get on to the right lane. Instead, he attempted a sharp turn but failed to clear the bus, the front left of the truck collided with the rear right of the bus.

The driver seemed to have lost his mind at this juncture. The truck continued rolling even after the collision. He was staring at the bus. Neither he applied the brakes, nor did he unwind the steering. In this melee, a Matador that belonged to the P&T department sneaked in from the opposite direction and tried taking a left turn into the T junction. This caused a second collision within a few seconds of the first. The rolling truck hit the P&T Matador side on. The illustration below gives a clearer picture.

All three vehicle sustained substantial damage. All three drivers started a shouting match. The poor truck driver received an occasional blow or a slap as the argument went on. A couple of traffic cops were present on the location. Instead of pacifying the shouters, they started measuring the distances between the three vehicles, presumably to record in the FIR. It was a comic scene straight out of a Charles Chaplin movie. To this day I wonder where they found the roll of measuring tape so early in the morning.

Finally the cops got round to asking for the papers of the truck. But the papers were retained at the check post and the driver had nothing to prove the legitimacy of the truck or the load of billets. The cops wouldn’t listen to anything that we tried to tell. They impounded the truck. We drove to the police station along with the cops.

The driver was locked up, but I was allowed to sit on a bench in the writer’s office. We kept requesting the cops but they did not allow us a phone call (so much for the rights of the detainees). What they were planning to do with us, we did not know. We heard them informing their higher authorities that they impounded a suspicious truck involved in an accident and that they detained the driver and the “brother of the owner”. Meanwhile the bus owner and an official from the P&T department came to the police station. The P&T official went away after some time.

My uncle and a purchase officer of the forging industry were waiting for the truck. They waited until afternoon and started a search. It took them a long time to locate us. Finally, by evening they arrived at the police station. Despite the best negotiating skills of my uncle, the cops refused to release me or the driver. They said they will talk only after the owner comes with all relevant documents.

The owner of the truck had already started from Vijayawada after the episode at the check post. He too found his way to the police station. But the cops refused to start negotiations until the P&T official comes. That is not likely to happen until the next day; hence I was looking at the prospect of spending the night in the police station. With great difficulty, my uncle got the cops to let me go. It was very late in the evening by then.

It took three days to arrive at an acceptable settlement amongst the five parties. Yes, FIVE parties: the truck owner, the bus owner, the P&T official, the police and the RTA officials. So the poor truck driver had to spend three nights in the police lockup. Needless to say, he was fired after that episode.

I still meet the truck driver sometimes. He never returned to Vijayawada. His time in the police lockup seemed to have toughened him somewhat but he never lost his naiveté completely. His sweet nature got him into many troubles throughout his life. Despite his misfortunes, he remained mostly cheerful. He became a school van driver and got married in Hyderabad. He and his son run a small stationery shop in Kukatpally now.

Last edited by Enobarbus : 12th February 2016 at 21:17.
Enobarbus is offline   (50) Thanks
Old 12th February 2016, 22:50   #408
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
It seems our friends in this forum didn’t mind the very long post I wrote previously in this very thread

will have to search your old posts , but this one surely reminded me of Malgudi days you can be a very good script writer unless you are already one ! You have described 30 + year old incident as if this happened yesterday.

Last edited by Turbanator : 12th February 2016 at 22:53.
Turbanator is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th February 2016, 11:16   #409
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
will have to search your old posts , but this one surely reminded me of Malgudi days you can be a very good script writer unless you are already one ! You have described 30 + year old incident as if this happened yesterday.
Thanks a lot for your kind words Turbanator. Since you said it reminded you of Malgudi Days, I went through my post once again. I agree with you. I am a great admirer of RK Narayan. I guess I have subconsciously imitated his writing style. I went through my other long post and some other stuff I write. I found that I imitate different writers for different subjects.

I am not a serious writer, so I do not intend to change my habits. I will continue to try and make my posts as interesting as I can. If I imitate someone in the process, so be it.
I am not a script writer, but my work is somewhat related to general writing. I am a Technical Author and I write Aviation related maintenance type manuals for a living.
Enobarbus is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th March 2016, 12:29   #410
Distinguished - BHPian

A not so funny, but unusual incident which came up on news sites.

Tiger on Doha expressway Link
mpksuhas is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st March 2016, 10:04   #411
Distinguished - BHPian

A funny incident I saw day before yesterday:

I was heading home from work and was near the Graphite India - EPIP junction where I had to take a U turn to go towards Alpine Eco road. While I was waiting on the right most lane in a small queue of around three cars, there came a Tempo Traveller rushing from the left and he went all the way and took the U turn in a hurry cutting all of us. If regulars know this place, there is a police booth and some Auto Rickshaws are parked at this U turn. The Tempo guy was in such a hurry as usual, he misjudged the turning radius and crashed into a parked autorickshaw.

The autorickshaw was slightly damaged and the front left headlamp of the Tempo fell off. The Tempo driver was a young chap who I think was too young for the Tempo and looked pretty freaked out(we were still waiting for the U-Turn). As the auto driver was assessing the damage to the auto, this guy started scooting away from the scene. As he started moving, the auto driver started blocking the Tempo from the left. This chap did not budge, and was crawling.

The auto driver, held on to the dangling headlight of the Tempo. As the Tempo driver started increasing speed, the auto driver started running. Near the IFB factory, the auto driver couldn't go any further, but yet held on to the Headlight. Hence, he was left with a Tempo headlamp assembly in his hand while the Tempo guy sped away It was funny to see this guy with the headlight assembly in his hand, while the Tempo driver just rocketed away from the scene.

At least I guess the auto driver can recover some money by selling the gift he got to repair the damage caused to his auto.

Last edited by Rehaan : 1st April 2016 at 17:09. Reason: Please avoid short-forms, as they create confusion (and are also hard to search for). Post edited. Thanks.
audioholic is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st March 2016, 11:33   #412
BHPian

Below mentioned stories pertains to one of my drive to Himalayas. It goes like this.

1. We were driving from Pathankot to Kishtwar via Mughal Road. Our movement was slow right from the beginning due to numerous photography breaks and incorrect route from Rajouri. It was 05.30 PM and one of the co pax was not feeling well. So we decided to end the day at Surankot, a small village in Jammu and Kashmir. So I approached the only hotel in the village, absolute shocker came when the son of hotel owner told us that rooms are full due to recruitment going on in the Army. I requested him for next 10 minutes to find some other way out. After 10 minutes his father came and I explained my entire situation to him, specifying that one of my co-pax's health is in bad state, it is not possible for us to go ahead, I request you to accommodate somewhere in your hotel. He finally gave us an option that, we have an inactive kitchen where he can accommodate us, he explained us that its thoroughly neat and clean, you need not worry about that, only thing is that some utensils are kept in it, I happily agreed, still he made me look at the room, I was like, no need sir, this much you have done for us, I am sure room would be comfortable. The bigger surprise was that he charged us just normal room rent of Rs. 600 and there was no compromise in service. The situation was such that if he had asked us for more money, I would have paid. Now imagine, had it been any other town / metro, the price wold have been twice / thrice the normal rate.

2. The next day we were driving from Surankot to Kishtwar via Mughal Road, Kulgam and Anantnag. We stopped at Anantnag for refueling, fuel pump owner saw GJ number plate and strikes a conversation, he was surprised when I told him, we drove from Mughal Road and going towards Kishtwar for the Journey ahead to Himachal Pradesh. In between all this I inquired with him about lunch options in Ananatnag, well in next few minutes we were moving in his car for a decent place to have lunch in Anantnag Market, so modest, so down to earth, so concerned, we were lucky to meet such person. Once conversation started, he told me that don’t worry park your vehicle here itself in fuel pump and I will drop you to the market at one of the famous local place for lunch.
nndp87 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2016, 20:20   #413
BHPian

This happened some hours back. Today was a hot day, high temperature you know.

I was at the driver's seat of the Duster, with Dad as the co-driver. We were stuck in traffic for a good 7-10 minutes and were talking about the matte blue Apache that we saw at the last signal. When the traffic had cleared up a bit, we approached a narrow lane with cars parked on either side at the same spot. I have a habit of driving cautiously in the Duster due to the over-flared wheel arches (which affect my judgement as I generally use a Swift). I saw a lady-driven silver Brio approaching and stopped to let her pass, thinking that she might be a learner (although she should have stopped, being at a greater distance from the point).

Only one car could pass at a time. Not expecting me to stop (as is the norm in NCR), she was overwhelmed and started smiling at me, and the smile was long and clear enough for anyone to notice. Without wasting a second, I started fiddling with the stereo but I could notice Dad looking at her as to how she would negotiate from the narrow space. She has crossed the point in around 10 seconds or so, and to top it all, she gave a thumbs up while passing our car! The conversation that followed for the rest of the 20 minute route was about "Family values", "Importance of studies", "How this love thingy was BS" and the like. Didn't give any explanation as I knew it would end up in an argument.

I didn't knew the girl. But I have to agree, she was pretty.

Last edited by swift_guy : 11th April 2016 at 20:21. Reason: typo
swift_guy is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 11th April 2016, 21:41   #414
Distinguished - BHPian

True, a smile from a pretty girl on the road is best, but I am happy with any smile!

People who know London (UK) may understand that it is a rather cold and impersonal place where, for instance, if you chat to your neighbour on a bus or a train you might be thought weird. Londoners just stare straight ahead and ignore each other. I used to say how much more I enjoyed driving there, because, even when we are shouting at each other, at least drivers communicate!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2016, 12:11   #415
Distinguished - BHPian

I think I can die happy now.
It was, in fact, to get to the other side.

mayankk is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 28th April 2016, 09:44   #416
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thanks to The Rationalist for sharing this image.

A Maruti Alto being used as a fish cart! They say, in India, the single car of the house multi-tasks like no other. To this gentleman, it's his shop-on-wheels.

Unusual / funny / heartwarming experiences on the road-img_0666.jpg
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th April 2016, 09:59   #417
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
People who know London (UK) may understand that it is a rather cold and impersonal place where, for instance, if you chat to your neighbour on a bus or a train you might be thought weird. Londoners just stare straight ahead and ignore each other.
Ah ! So would that be the root cause / reason why we Indians in the USA have kept to ourselves ? From what I have heard, one grouse Americans have against desi's is that we are rude / cold / dont even smile or greet people around us - even when we have to talk to the person.

Englishmen in New York !
Old 28th April 2016, 14:03   #418
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swift_guy View Post
This sad thing happened yesterday, well, on the road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
something similar happened to us last year.
2005-2006
Here's another similar tale - this happened some 10 years ago around 2005-2006 in Pune. I was returning from a late night session and was heading home on my bike. The road had very light traffic and poorly illuminated, and I was doing some 50kmph speeds when a dog ran across the road in front of me. Didn't get any time for reaction and I ran over the poor fellow.

I stopped and came back to the dog; he was squealing and in serious pain. I picked him and brought him to the side. Those were young days for me, I had no idea about any shelters or other groups. A few folks just stopped by to give me advice that 'he's going to die', 'leave him'; while others just walked by. I was too guilt ridden and almost in tears; I just decided to sit by on the pavement till the poor fellow died; still hoping that maybe he might just get up and walk away. Not really aware how long, but I guess I sat there for about 30 mins to 1 hour before he died.

Mid-2014
This was the period when the cycling bug bit me; slowly and steadily I kept on increasing my distances. I finally decided to do a Pune - Mumbai ride on a friday evening. I left from my office (Hinjewadi) with my heavy office laptop bag on my back (yea I really didn't think it through lol ) around 5 in the evening. I was around Kamshet around 7 when I stopped for a break; when I heard a bird's sound next to me on the shoulder.

Imagine my surprise when I saw a medium sized crow just a few feet away from me. He was hopping around and was heading towards the road (and traffic). A bit amused, I tried shooing him but he wasn't flying away. More amazingly I could approach him and touch him without him flying/running away. I picked him up and put him in the shrubs but he kept coming back on the road. Probably he might have fallen down from his nest from one of the nearby trees, I wasn't sure how long he was going to be alive without his flight skills.

And here's when I again put-off my thinking skills and I picked him up kept him on the top of my backpack/bag - surprisingly he sat down over there and just shut up. And I continued ahead on my cycling. I literally had no plans on what I was going to do with him; I kind of half-expected him to fly away when he felt like doing it.

I later stopped at a dhaba outside Lonavala for dinner; there were about 10 odd folks and a cat in the dhaba; ALL of their eyes and their attention was on me lol. To be more precise, on my companion who was merrily hopping around on my table. The cat wasn't sure what to do with this new member in the dhaba; he just kept his eyes on the crow all the time from a distance. After a few questions on where I came from, where I was heading - a few nodding their heads disapprovingly, thinking I am some nut-case to do the long ride in the night; especially the crow with me kind of re-certified their unsaid views; they just let me finish up my dinner. And so I did, scooped up the crow on my back again and continued.

I did the ghats and the long flat commute towards Panvel after that in the night (do note - with lights and all necessary gear), with a few halts as and when required. The crow had practically made my backpack his nest; probably even catching a few hours of sleep. I crossed Panvel around 1 in the morning and finally at CBD Belapur I decided I had enough; I stopped at a taxi stand; loaded my bike on the luggage carrier and took the cab home. It was a merry ride - the driver was completely amused and interested to hear my story - more about my companion and less about my ride journey.

To cut the story short, we had the crow with us for a few more days. He loved eating raw meat - technically he might be omnivorous, but he didn't touch anything else. From what I understood from my maid; about a week later she had kept one of the windows open while cleaning the house, and some of the crow's bhai-behen family log had aggregated outside the window, and our newest member of the house decided to join them and he flew away.

Late-2014
I was doing a night cycling ride from SoBo to Powai via the eastern express highway over a weekend. On one of the flyovers between Chembur and Ghatkopar, I overheard a kitten mewing constantly. I stopped by to investigate; the sounds were coming from the crack between two slabs of the flyover wall. Using my bike light, I could see a kitten deep inside the crack; the poor fellow crying out loudly, probably hungry and afraid of the traffic. How he reached that point on the flyover - I have no idea till date.

After a lot of effort, I finally got him out of the crack and I decided to take him home. About an hour later, I got him home, cleaned him up a bit, fed him milk and cat (wet) food. The poor fellow gulped up as much as he could and then went to sleep. About 2 hours later he woke up and he made sure he woke us up too, practically making sure we had a sleepless night! (lol)

The next day wasn't a lot different; he ate when he wanted to, and he kept on meowing the entire day; trying to get out of the house at every attempt possible. We decided to let him go and released him outside the next day morning.

Late-2013
I was heading home (Pashan) late night from Chaturshinge when I saw a kitten darting on the road. The traffic was sparse, however this fellow wasn't getting out of the road. I stopped the car on the side; picked up the fellow and dropped him on the side. He started following me - clearly he seemed to be somebody's pet and was familiar with humans. I waited with him on the sidewalk for 10-15 mins, hoping he was from around the place and might head home. But he didn't budge, and I wasn't sure if he'd be safe on the road.

So I brought him home.

Long story short, my life turned upside down after that and I went through some of the best days of my life after that

Unusual / funny / heartwarming experiences on the road-billa.jpg

Last edited by ninjatalli : 28th April 2016 at 14:21.
ninjatalli is offline   (41) Thanks
Old 28th April 2016, 15:25   #419
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
... ... ...To this gentleman, it's his shop-on-wheels.
And his very effective sunshield!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2016, 18:29   #420
Distinguished - BHPian

One day while leaving the office parking for home, I saw a jam holding up the traffic. A brief idea of my parking; exit from the basement through a tight sharp 90 degree turn to climb straight up a steep ramp which ends in a wider 90 degree turn before opening to the ground floor open area. We then move anti-clockwise to reach the EXIT gate before catching the road.

On that day, a fairly new Gi10 had cleared the tight 90 degree turn, climbed the ramp and was stuck on the much wider turn. I got out of the car and climbed up the ramp, to find the cause of being held up. A lady driver (no offense meant), while taking the last turn, had driven too close to the wall and failed to make the turn (due to turning the wheels late). Now she was trying to back up and then move forward to clear wall, and yet she failed. What could be the problem, I wondered. One look and I saw, she was backing and then moving forward while her wheels were completely turned. She was just retracing her path again and again . A couple of guys on bike went ahead and signaled her to turn the wheels while reversing but she didn't (or couldn't take any of it). Finally another guy walked up, asked her to lower the window, slightly turned her wheels and then asked her to reverse. Thus, she cleared the wall and went out.

On another day, I was leaving office at 8pm and heard some noise from the basement parking entry point and then saw a black Santro having 3 women (driven by one among them) coming out of the entry . Luckily it was fairly late and no one was entering the parking. They didn't have their lights on and after coming out, they went the wrong way towards the ENTRY gate. I didn't follow them to see how the guards reacted. On two other occasions, I have seen lady drivers going the wrong way towards the ENTRY gate to exit from the office. On these occasions, the guards usually inform them about the correct route and let them pass. On one occasion, an OLA driver had done the same thing and he was asked to turn around and come out through the other gate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thanks to The Rationalist for sharing this image.
A Maruti Alto being used as a fish cart! They say, in India, the single car of the house multi-tasks like no other. To this gentleman, it's his shop-on-wheels.
Attachment 1501307
I have seen people selling fruits from their orchards, in premium vehicles like an Innova. In another instance, we have a pan-shop in my locality. The owner brings all his daily purchase in his M800 for convenience and also, for his safety when he returns home late at night.
ashis89 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed