Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2012, 12:05   #46
BHPian

Re: Flying pebbles damaging the Windscreen!

Another crazy problem on most roads are - butterflies! For some reason hoards of them tend to fly across the road and when you smack them at high speeds, it leaves a horrible stain on the windshield which you just can't get rid off. Apart from the karma one collects from murdering butterflies, it becomes more of a pain to avoid them on highways!
Old 3rd September 2012, 12:26   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannan666 View Post
I have had a small chip on my Esteem's windshield when a pebble struck it way back in 2006. It has remained the same now for more than six years, will try and post a picture of it here soon.
It would be great if you could post a pic.
I am more about the crack than the chip. I am sure, a chip will not propagate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Chariot View Post
My bro's 2001 Palio had a crack because of a similar stone hit and he claimed insurance for the glass. Rs 5400 was the price of the glass and approximately 3k was what insurance provided. the original glass had made in brazil but the new one was made in india. green tracks had done a good job on the installation fortunately.
I guess the crack was relatively big. When I replaced the glass from Windshield Experts earlier, they mentioned that I could not claim insurance unless there was a big crack (someone suggested taking a stone and breaking the glass so that I could claim insurance!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by callvvijay View Post
I experienced the same thing in April'2011. Was driving back from Bangalore to Chennai in my friend's Swift Vdi. I had borrowed my friend's car for that trip just because I thought that I could save my wallet from the high petrol cost.

Was nearing Vellore when a small stone flew over on to my windshield from the Figo in front of me. Clank!! There was a small crack on the windshield but was able to drive back till Chennai. Checked with Windshield Experts in GP Road and was suggested to go for a new windshield.

Had to spend ~ Rs.5500/- (don't remember it exactly). Was laughing at myself for the plans I had made to save high petrol cost! -
Really unlucky if this happens when you are driving a borrowed car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamtheater39 View Post
Another crazy problem on most roads are - butterflies! For some reason hoards of them tend to fly across the road and when you smack them at high speeds, it leaves a horrible stain on the windshield which you just can't get rid off. Apart from the karma one collects from murdering butterflies, it becomes more of a pain to avoid them on highways!
This problem is mitigated to an extent if you use low beam instead of high beam (I guess).
Old 3rd September 2012, 12:43   #48
BHPian

My two penny take on this: ...chip, crack or hole. Replace windscreen at the earliest, claim insurance to subsidise the cost. Better safe than sorry. Cheers !
Old 3rd September 2012, 19:55   #49
RGK
Senior - BHPian

My windshield was hit by a small stone while following a truck. I cannot maintain distance as there was traffic following continously on the outskirts of chennai. Nothing happened at that time.
While washing my car next day I found a crack of 1mm in dia. Just after squeezing the wet cloth , I cleaned (used to dry the water droplets in that area) bit forcibily and immediately a crack formed horizontally.

I was upset and took a (worst) decision of changing it immediately which led to lot of unwanted consequences. Please refer this link for more info.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...go-club-7.html

You can consult a windshield expert. They will fix all the damaged dots and definitely NOT the cracks.
Old 3rd September 2012, 20:16   #50
Senior - BHPian

@ Vasanth - Here is a pic. Unfortunately, it is not very clear since it was taken at twilight, by a mobile camera which had difficulty in focusing the 'chip' since it it on glass and it was trying to focus the dash inside instead ! The line that you see below the 'chip' is not a 'crack', it is only reflection of light, will try and post a better picture tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
Flying pebbles damaging the Windscreen!-dsc00059.jpg  

kannan666 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2012, 11:44   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSUDARSANAN View Post
My two penny take on this: ...chip, crack or hole. Replace windscreen at the earliest, claim insurance to subsidise the cost. Better safe than sorry. Cheers !
Wanted to go to Windshied Experts last weekend, but could not do it.
I am thinking of taking the "wait and watch" route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
You can consult a windshield expert. They will fix all the damaged dots and definitely NOT the cracks.
This is contrary to what I heard. I was told that there is some kind of treatment available for small cracks of this kind. It is somehwat similar to the crack posted by kannan in the post above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannan666 View Post
@ Vasanth - Here is a pic. Unfortunately, it is not very clear since it was taken at twilight, by a mobile camera which had difficulty in focusing the 'chip' since it it on glass and it was trying to focus the dash inside instead ! The line that you see below the 'chip' is not a 'crack', it is only reflection of light, will try and post a better picture tomorrow.
Thanks for the pic, I get the idea.
I know it is very difficult to get a clear picture of this. I know because I tried a lot with my mobile camera and I was not able to get a decent picture. Should try with the digital camera, but haven't been able to do it for one or the other reason.
Old 4th September 2012, 16:44   #52
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasanthn21 View Post
This is contrary to what I heard. I was told that there is some kind of treatment available for small cracks of this kind. It is somehwat similar to the crack posted by kannan in the post above.
Let me rephrase. Cracks which happens on the entire thickness of the glass cannot be fixed, whereas dot (which creates a very small shallow hole on the top layer - pebble hit) can be treated.
Old 4th September 2012, 21:53   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anandv267 View Post
Do avoid high speeds during very hot days with your ac at full blower and minimum temprature. Technically this can damage your wind shield.
Well, would you explain the "Technicality" behind this? I would like to get educated more on this please.

Last edited by nandans2005 : 4th September 2012 at 21:54.
Old 5th September 2012, 10:02   #54
BHPian

We had to face a flying pebble once, but on door glass. It came hurtling from a speeding Innova overtaking our tiny Alto.

Flying pebbles damaging the Windscreen!-shattereddoorwindow.jpg

It was very quick & the entire glass shattered. But luckily held in place due to sun film!

It happened on Villupuram - Chennai 4-track after crossing Palar river. Too many sand laden lorries proceed to chennai from this river & the road was visibly littered with tiny pebbles.

We can continue our journey & changed the glass in Chennai. Now that we cannot use sun film, I pray it doesn't happen again!
Old 5th September 2012, 13:34   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
Let me rephrase. Cracks which happens on the entire thickness of the glass cannot be fixed, whereas dot (which creates a very small shallow hole on the top layer - pebble hit) can be treated.
I would like to hold back my comment on this until I speak to Windshield Experts. I am not sure about how it is handled in India, but "According to the US National Windshield Repair Association many types of stone damage can be successfully repaired; circular Bullseyes, linear cracks, star-shaped breaks or a combination of all three".

The above lines are from wiki article (link provided in post #9)

I am not sure what you mean when you say "cracks on the entire thickness of the glass". In my case, the crack cannot be felt from inside the car; probably because the crack is limited to the first layer of glass till the lamination plastic material and the second layer of glass after the lamination material is not cracked. I am not sure, is there any way I can know this for sure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by viggienomad View Post
We had to face a flying pebble once, but on door glass. It came hurtling from a speeding Innova overtaking our tiny Alto.

It was very quick & the entire glass shattered. But luckily held in place due to sun film!
Now that we cannot use sun film, I pray it doesn't happen again!
Window glass is designed to shatter into very small pieces with very little “sharding,” (from your pic, it looks like it would have broken into many small pieces instead of large knife like structures) reducing the opportunity for serious injury from broken glass. So you need not worry if there is no sun film on window glass.
I have seen this happen with a non-laminated windscreen in my cousin's car.
Old 5th September 2012, 14:14   #56
RAC
BHPian

I have also faced a similar experience. I have writted about it in the thread below:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post2876566

I had approached Windshield World hoping that I could avoid replacement, but they adviced against repairs and asked me to go ahed with replacement, which I have done.

But going through this thread, I get the feeling that the crack could have been repaired.
Old 5th September 2012, 21:48   #57
BHPian

Year 2012 has been inauspicious for windscreens of both my cars.

First, the front glass of my 2006 Santro chipped. Didn't notice when it happened. Somebody had borrowed the car in between for couple of days. Hence not sure of the cause. It's a small vertical mark on right side bottom, barely visible unless observed closely. Not spreading and hence decided not to replace the glass.

The second one hurts big time. It happened on my 2011 Laura on my way back from Chandigarh on NH1. For the very first time I'd allowed a driver to touch my car(s) due to a small accident (non automotive) that left my ankle injured and me stranded in Chandigarh. He was pushing the car too close to the next one and a pebble flew off the rear tyre of Santa Fe in front of us and left a horizontal crack on the windscreen starting from edge of glass. It's almost 35 cm long but hasn't increased in length in four months. To add to the loss, the windscreen has a VK70 film on it that'll be wasted.

Anybody has any idea how much would the front windscreen of a Laura cost? Last time I visited the service centre, they didn't have it in stock and the SA quoted 15-20k which's too wide a range. Planning to change it now that the temperatures have lowered and I am ready to sacrifice my front sunfilm.

Last edited by bloodred : 5th September 2012 at 21:52.
Old 6th September 2012, 09:29   #58
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodred View Post
Last time I visited the service centre, they didn't have it in stock and the SA quoted 15-20k which's too wide a range.
In any case the sunfilm should be history. Contact WE. Their price should be about 10-12k max. I got one for my Civic changed for 11k by WE.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2012, 13:04   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Window glass is designed to shatter into very small pieces with very little “sharding,” (from your pic, it looks like it would have broken into many small pieces instead of large knife like structures) reducing the opportunity for serious injury from broken glass. So you need not worry if there is no sun film on window glass. ..
Yes, it's tempered safety glass, so breaks into tiny pieces, but it can fall over the face. Apart from the safety angle, this will also lose the option of using A/C till the glass is fixed. After the initial shock, that would be the biggest inconvenience!

In our previous situation, it was end of April & we had to drive another 2 hours to reach Chennai in the hot sun. We could keep the AC on as the broken glass stayed in place.
Old 13th September 2012, 22:36   #60
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I am not sure what you mean when you say "cracks on the entire thickness of the glass". In my case, the crack cannot be felt from inside the car; probably because the crack is limited to the first layer of glass till the lamination plastic material and the second layer of glass after the lamination material is not cracked. I am not sure, is there any way I can know this for sure?
Yes, If the glass is completely cracked, (if felt on both sides) then it cannot be done. If there is a crack or dot on the top layer,(do not know the exact "mm" of the top layer) then it can be fixed. I took my car to Windshield experts in Chennai, but they advised for replacement as the crack is deep and felt on both sides.

Top level cracks can be left as long as it does not damage the wiper blades i.e if the crack is not in the vicinity of the blade coverage.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks