Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2012, 10:44   #1
BHPian

Flying pebbles damaging the Windscreen!

This is happening with me the second time and I badly need suggestions!

Nov 2011 - Returning to Bangalore form a lovely 5 day trip to coastal Karnataka, am on the outer ring road near Nagarbhavi approaching mysore road junction heading towards Banashankari. All of a sudden, I hear a "clank", realize it is a pebble which hit my windshield, probably from the tyre of the truck right ahead of me! I come home and inspect the damage, there is a small hole on the windshield, not through - just on the surface.I swallow the pain and come to terms with it.

Aug 2012 - Decide to take the NICE road home from office to avoid the weekend traffic in the city (from Manyata tech park to Kanakapura road), somewhere on NICE road, I hear the all familiar and dreaded "clank" again. Come home and inspect the damage, this time there is a small crack!!! I hold back my tears!! Thankfully the windshield is laminated and probably I can use it for some time (or can I?).

Need suggestions/inputs:
1. Can I use this windshield safely?
2. This has never happened on the highway with me, why while driving in city?
3. Is there ANY way to avoid this?
4. Is it okay to drive after "clank" or do I need to inspect it immediately?

Last edited by vasanthn21 : 27th August 2012 at 10:46.
Old 27th August 2012, 10:59   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Flying pebbles damaging the Windscreen!

Speak to Windshield experts.
They have a patch which will stop the cracks from spreading.

Windshield Repair, Auto Glass and Auto Safety Glass Replacement Services Center India

Can you post some pics of the damage.
speedmiester is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th August 2012, 11:16   #3
Team-BHP Support

You can if there's no crack. If there's a small crack, just check if it's spreading or not in next few days.

There's no way to avoid this. You cannot really keep that kind of distance (from the truck or whatever) all the time. These stone chips approach like bullet.

All depends on the extent of damage. If the crack is major, you don't really need to stop and check. Whole windshield will collapse in no time. One of my friend faced the same on Bangalore Chennai highway.

My car had a similar crack for last 4 years now. Service center told me not to bother as it hasn't increased in size. Few days back, same thing happened to our test drive car too.
Rudra Sen is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th August 2012, 11:17   #4
BHPian

@vasanthn21
You can drive with the windsheild provided the crack is a small one. Do avoid high speeds during very hot days with your ac at full blower and minimum temprature. Technically this can damage your wind shield. Once the crack starts growing please do get your windshield replaced. Apart from the safety point of view , a cracked windshield does not look good
Anandv267 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2012, 11:26   #5
Senior - BHPian

I would say keep driving till you reach some safer place.

I was driving to Agra a few months back and heard huge noise when I was at the outskirts. I could not see it but my wife saw a half brick flying towards the wind screen. Since I was driving at 110 kmph and was not prepared for it, I did not make any effort to stop. Reached destination half an hour later and saw a cm dia hole at the bottom of the windscreen.

Later, I came to now that this is the latest technique adopted by the looters. They rob the occupants of their valuables and car once the driver stop to see the damages!

Lost the windscreen but saved the car.

Last edited by sourabhzen : 27th August 2012 at 11:27.
sourabhzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2012, 11:38   #6
BANNED

I had to replace the windscreen on my Civic after it was hit by a tiny pebble on the way back from Lucknow. However, I may add that in over 40 yearr of motoring I have had to replace the windscreen only thrice:

1. About 1984. Premier Padmini DX. The road now NH91 was under resurfacing. a half brick flew off the wheel of the truck in front and I have to replace the windscreen.

2. 2005 in an Accent. Was driving back from Hardoi, the road was under construction, and a very large pebble flew from a tractor coming in the opposite direction.

3. Civic as above.

So it is a hazard nevertheless, but not that bad after all.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2012, 11:49   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
Speak to Windshield experts.
They have a patch which will stop the cracks from spreading.

Windshield Repair, Auto Glass and Auto Safety Glass Replacement Services Center India

Can you post some pics of the damage.
Thanks, will check it, I got the wind shield replaced from windshield experts 9 months back. Will try to post pics by evening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post

You can if there's no crack. If there's a small crack, just check if it's spreading or not in next few days.

Next few days = 2-3 days?

There's no way to avoid this. You cannot really keep that kind of distance (from the truck or whatever) all the time. These stone chips approach like bullet.

That's sad! :(

All depends on the extent of damage. If the crack is major, you don't really need to stop and check. Whole windshield will collapse in no time. One of my friend faced the same on Bangalore Chennai highway.

My car had a similar crack for last 4 years now. Service center told me not to bother as it hasn't increased in size. Few days back, same thing happened to our test drive car too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post

I would say keep driving till you reach some safer place.

I was driving to Agra a few months back and heard huge noise when I was at the outskirts. I could not see it but my wife saw a half brick flying towards the wind screen. Since I was driving at 110 kmph and was not prepared for it, I did not make any effort to stop. Reached destination half an hour later and saw a cm dia hole at the bottom of the windscreen.

Later, I came to now that this is the latest technique adopted by the looters. They rob the occupants of their valuables and car once the driver stop to see the damages!

Lost the windscreen but saved the car.
Thanks, I guess it depends on the situation and the extent of damage. I understand your point sourabhzen, not only did you save the car, you saved yourself and your family a lot of trouble!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I had to replace the windscreen on my Civic after it was hit by a tiny pebble on the way back from Lucknow. However, I may add that in over 40 yearr of motoring I have had to replace the windscreen only thrice:

So it is a hazard nevertheless, but not that bad after all.
I am happy that this happened thrice in 40 years with you sgiitk sir. I am worried because this happened twice within 10 months!

Last edited by vasanthn21 : 27th August 2012 at 11:56. Reason: adding a response
Old 27th August 2012, 12:05   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

The sticket thing that WE put on star cracks, they dont hold up for a long time. Mine did for about 2 weeks.

I had a similar incident, where a truck threw off tar coated pebbles, none less.
I actually saw the pebble that cracked my windshield, since it nicely er...tarred...itself in place where it struck.
Alongwith many of his friends who took up residence on my bonnet for quite a few weeks before finally coming off after a lot of work.
WE put that sticker, and 2 weeks back, the crack had performed a full U-turn on my screen, going from one edge,turning a 180 degs, and back to the same edge. Screen had to be changed.
Old 27th August 2012, 13:12   #9
BHPian

Thanks for sharing your experience.

A quick question. Is there a possibility of the crack to spread even if the windshield is laminated?

As per wikipedia, cracked glass can be repaired. Does anyone know if this process is possible in India. Fortunately the crack (start shaped) in my windshield is not on the driver's side.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windshield

"Repair of stone-chip and crack damage
According to the US National Windshield Repair Association many types of stone damage can be successfully repaired. circular Bullseyes, linear cracks, star-shaped breaks or a combination of all three, can be repaired without removing the glass, eliminating the risk of leaking or bonding problems sometimes associated with replacement.
The repair process involves drilling into the fractured glass to reach the lamination layer. Special clear adhesive resin is injected under pressure and then cured with ultraviolet light. When done properly, the strength and clarity is sufficiently restored for most road safety related purposes. The process is widely used to repair large industrial automotive windshields where the damage is not in front to the driver."

Last edited by vasanthn21 : 27th August 2012 at 13:21. Reason: Additional information added
Old 27th August 2012, 13:14   #10
Senior - BHPian

keeping a distance approximately 15 feet or more from a truck (especially the uncovered wheels of a dumper) should prevent windscreen cracks. By the time the stone hits your car 20 feet behind, it would have lost most of its energy. What I do is, either keep far behind a dumper truck or accelerate hard and overtake him at any cost. This way I have not had a windscreen crack until now (touch wood).
apachelongbow is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th August 2012, 13:29   #11
BHPian

@vasanthn21
As far as i know the crack will spread even if windshield is laminated. But the lamination will stop the glass from crumbling and falling off. If the crack starts to spread in more than one direction(like a web) i suggest you change your windshield immediately.
Old 27th August 2012, 13:56   #12
BANNED

If the crack is propagating then there is no real joy except for replacement. If they have some stuff which can fill and seal the crack then there may be some joy.
Old 27th August 2012, 14:03   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anandv267 View Post
@vasanthn21
As far as i know the crack will spread even if windshield is laminated.
Not necessarily. Damage on my car is chipped glass and crack of about 1cm in diameter approx. And it's there for last four years.
Rudra Sen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th August 2012, 14:09   #14
BHPian

@Rudra sir.
Maybe i am wrong sir. My windshield had a small crack initially which has started growing as i keep logging kms. It may be due to temprature difference. Not sure. Am i thought mine was laminated glass. Now after reading your post am scared. Need to get it checked asap!! Thanks a lot sir
Old 27th August 2012, 14:43   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
keeping a distance approximately 15 feet or more from a truck (especially the uncovered wheels of a dumper) should prevent windscreen cracks. By the time the stone hits your car 20 feet behind, it would have lost most of its energy. What I do is, either keep far behind a dumper truck or accelerate hard and overtake him at any cost. This way I have not had a windscreen crack until now (touch wood).
In principle, I agree with you, but it is not always possible with the maddening traffic in Bangalore. Like, when I am taking off from a signal and a truck is ahead, and mostly they won't let me pass, and there is almost no option of not moving, people behind you are literally pushing! (This is how I got the first hit!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anandv267 View Post
@vasanthn21
As far as i know the crack will spread even if windshield is laminated. But the lamination will stop the glass from crumbling and falling off. If the crack starts to spread in more than one direction(like a web) i suggest you change your windshield immediately.
So, I have to wait and observe, any idea if the crack spreads, how much time it will take, days, weeks or months?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
If the crack is propagating then there is no real joy except for replacement. If they have some stuff which can fill and seal the crack then there may be some joy.
Sealing the crack is what the wikipedia article posted earlier talks about, I need to go to windshield experts and get this clarified.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Not necessarily. Damage on my car is chipped glass and crack of about 1cm in diameter approx. And it's there for last four years.
Lucky you, hope I am lucky too

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks