Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2012, 11:55   #1
BHPian

Mumbai Traffic Police launches App : Real time traffic updates

Traffic has been a crucial part of every Mumbaikar.Spending 2 hours in traffic per day is quite normal for daily commuters,thats like 44 hours per month (considering 22 working days) ,which means 2 days per month spent in traffic!

Finally Mumbai traffic police has taken a commendable effort and developed this real time traffic guide.It relies on 1700 GPS-fitted taxis moving around mumbai.Based on the movement of these cabs the app can predict whether the traffic on a particular route is slow moving,jammed or normal.

Quite a logical effort must say and best part is that this will be a free app.

Times of India team tested it over few routes and found it to be fairly accurate.Fitting GPS on more taxis will make the app more accurate.

Here is a detailed report - http://epaper.timesofindia.com/Defau...&ViewMode=HTML
coolabhi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th September 2012, 14:06   #2
BHPian

Re: Mumbai's first ever real time city traffic guide tested by Times of India

The App has already been released its fairly raw and needs a lot of improvement. Downloaded it for my iPhone today its called Traffline.

I'd rather use Traffic feature available on Google Maps which is far more reliable than this.
Y@SH is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th September 2012, 14:28   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y@SH View Post
The App has already been released its fairly raw and needs a lot of improvement. Downloaded it for my iPhone today its called Traffline.

I'd rather use Traffic feature available on Google Maps which is far more reliable than this.
This is the what Google traffic showed when I was in the middle of a traffic jam that lasted for more than 20 minutes yesterday ( Location : Hosur road near E.City, Bangalore) . I believe the service is at its nascent stage and it would take some time for it to be reliable.

-- Wind
Attached Images

Wind is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th September 2012, 14:29   #4
BHPian

Any such effort must be applauded. Only when we use them and help them improve, will we get what will be helpful to us. This is an app on my to-do for today to download
Old 20th September 2012, 17:23   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolabhi View Post
Spending 2 hours in traffic per day is quite normal for daily commuters,thats like 44 hours per month (considering 22 working days) ,which means 2 days per month spent in traffic!
WOW. Interesting way to look at it.

I have to say that traffic is the #1 thing i HATE about living in a city.

Quote:
It relies on 1700 GPS-fitted taxis moving around mumbai.
I always fantasized about a system like this. However, are GPS-fitted radio-taxis the best choice?

Radio taxis (the type you call and reserve) typically spend a lot of time parked by the side of the road waiting for customers. How does the software know when the cab is stuck in traffic vs waiting below a person's house?

When i thought about it - i imagined BEST buses were the best bet. They run regular routes. They cover the length and breadth of the city. They run at regular intervals. And they run at all hours of the day when users would want traffic updates. Sure, they stop at bus-stops, but its momentary and its a known evil (ie. roughly the same from day to day - so can be adjusted for).

Quote:
Quite a logical effort must say and best part is that this will be a free app.
Indeed good to see this happening.

Check out their twitter updates too : https://twitter.com/traffline

Can't seem to find this in the Android Play Store though?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind View Post
This is the what Google traffic showed when I was in the middle of a traffic jam that lasted for more than 20 minutes yesterday
Yikes. Perhaps they didn't have enough of a sample size to update the road?

I notice that traffic data appears and disappears for roads depending on how many users there are on them.

Also, on Tuesday the "Traffic" layer disappeared entirely on the web interface. Not sure why. Probably trying to find a new 4th RED colour for Ganpati

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofromcapone View Post
Only when we use them and help them improve
This is true.

Its bound to get better as more users use it. (Though its still unclear as to exactly where Google Maps gets its traffic data from)

cya
R

PS - Removed "first ever" from the title, as i think google maps beat them to it.

PS2 - Here's what Google Maps real-time-traffic looks like for those who haven't seen it.
Name:  gmaps.png
Views: 13642
Size:  260.5 KB

Last edited by Rehaan : 20th September 2012 at 17:31.
Rehaan is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 20th September 2012, 18:54   #6
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mumbai Traffic Police launches App : Real time traffic updates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
I always fantasized about a system like this. However, are GPS-fitted radio-taxis the best choice?

Radio taxis (the type you call and reserve) typically spend a lot of time parked by the side of the road waiting for customers. How does the software know when the cab is stuck in traffic vs waiting below a person's house?
Radio taxis are a geed fit because there is a known "State" of car.

Car is either "Engaged" i.e. has picked up the customer and is charging the customer, "Waiting" for the customer or "In Transit" to customer's place.

If radio taxis transmit state of the car to Traffline, they can use it to determine if car is just standing or is stuck in traffic.
NetfreakBombay is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th September 2012, 20:48   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
WOW. Interesting way to look at it.

Its bound to get better as more users use it. (Though its still unclear as to exactly where Google Maps gets its traffic data from)

Attachment 989281
There was some article on the net where they have hinted they get data form Traffic police and users who have their android phones connected to the net. Not sure how accurate this is too. As with many advancements this is also in the nascent stage and will only improve over time!!
For now, when I try to check traffic conditions on the phone and actual (My office overlooks a busy road in Central bangalore), the google traffic update does seem accurate.
hrman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2012, 12:07   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Radio taxis are a geed fit because there is a known "State" of car.
Very cool! Thanks.
Though i still think BEST buses might be better. (No "waiting" state too).

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
There was some article on the net where they have hinted they get data form Traffic police and users who have their android phones connected to the net.
They are definitely getting data from Android phones. I'm just not sure if/how/how much they are also using other data points (eg. traffic police like you mentioned).

An interesting way they do it in some US states like California is track how long it takes for a particular car to go from one toll-gate to another one further along the road. They use RFID sensors like EasyPass etc at the toll-gates to tag cars.

cya
R
Old 21st September 2012, 13:28   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Though i still think BEST buses might be better. (No "waiting" state too).
Definetly. Now every bus is fitted with a GPS tracke when it comes in for a yearly upkeep. For almost all router, status can be tracked online:

http://www.bestpis.in

Only issue is, nest has sold data to a private company and not sure what they are charging for data.
NetfreakBombay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2012, 16:12   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Also, on Tuesday the "Traffic" layer disappeared entirely on the web interface. Not sure why. Probably trying to find a new 4th RED colour for Ganpati
Well, it turns out there is actually a 4th colour (ie a darker red). Noticed this when passing a ganpati procession

Name:  Screenshot_20120921200033.png
Views: 11881
Size:  115.5 KB

cya
R
Old 27th September 2012, 18:28   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, it turns out there is actually a 4th colour (ie a darker red).
There is another one that seems to be a special for WE Highway around JVLR It is this darker red with black dots. Proaably means you can get out car and get a cutting chai.
NetfreakBombay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2012, 00:25   #12
Senior - BHPian

Thing is how long will this app run and be updated. Knowing the state of affairs, this would just be a gimmick by someone who wants to show that he / she is doing something. When that person is transfered, no one else will even maintain this.

Sorry for being negative but i have absolutely no hope when it concerns anything related or being done by the govt.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks