Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2012, 09:55   #1
BHPian

Can't thank you enough Dr. Abhilash!

I had a terrible crash on my Bullet on Friday, and this thread is dedicated to one selfless man who should be the role model for all inconsiderate brutes like myself.

I was travelling at 30-35 kmph on my bullet almost on the centre of the road on the dreaded Graphite India road near Brookefields. Friday was a horrible day in this area, all roads seemed to be clogged.

There was a seemingly patient line of vehicles waiting to turn left, stationary in the left lane. There seemed to be some blockage in the adjacent road and no vehicle was proceeding into the turn. There was no oncoming traffic and an eerie sense of traffic discipline, alas which was not to be. As I was chugging along intending to not turn and go straight on, the ubiquitous autorickshaw of Bangalore struck. He did a 90 degree jump out of his lane, intending to get right to the front of the blockage. (Sometimes I wish auto manufacturers limit their hooliganish maneuverability..) This guy was less than 3 feet ahead of me. I had absolutely no time to react. No brakes, no steering. I crashed straight into him and was thrown off my bike. I went airborne to the extreme right and landed inches short from the gutter.

Can't thank you enough Dr. Abhilash!-crash.jpg

All I can recollect is seeing my left forearm forming an 'S' shape and I seemed to have hit my head pretty hard too. A crowd formed but all I can remember is this neat cut gentleman in his mid thirties with a french beard. He got someone to park my bike at the edge of the road and collected the keys. He gathered my mobile, my wallet and my laptop bag. He put me gingerly in the back of his red Maruti Swift, and expertly got me to the nearest clinic in 10 mins in the maddening traffic. He pushed the clinic staff to tend to me immediately, and administer first aid. He called my wife and dad and waited till they turned up. He dissapeared as miraculously as he arrived. Dr. Abhilash, I hope you are a BHPian and reading this. I know I didn't say much through my delirium. My heartfelt gratitude to all you did for me that day, and my respect for the selflessness you displayed. I know exactly what to do if I ever witness a road accident going forward due to you. God bless your soul.
reswaran is offline   (78) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2012, 10:00   #2
BHPian

Re: Can't thank you enough Dr. Abhilash!

Lessons to learn:

1. Avoid peak hour traffic as much as possible.
2. ATGATT. The gear I have safely stowed away in my loft could have saved me from most of my fractures.
3. Invest in atleast a moderately good and perfectly fitting helmet. My LS2 Phobia did the job pretty well and evenn though I felt a lilltle woozy from hitting my head, I sustained no head injuries.
4. Stop being selfish. Be a Dr. Abhilash to someone else.

I sustained splintered forearm bones, severed middle finger, hairline fracture of the fourth metacarpal and a dislocated elbow.
reswaran is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2012, 10:25   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reswaran View Post
I sustained splintered forearm bones, severed middle finger, hairline fracture of the fourth metacarpal and a dislocated elbow.
OMG, thats a horrible crash. Its a horrible sight for family members to see one of theirs in hospital. Hope they are holding up well. Please take care and avoid getting back on the saddle for a while.

I hope someone got hold of the auto guy, I would like to see these idiots weeded out from this city.

We need more people like Dr. Abhilash. No selfless deed goes wasted, may God bless you.

Last edited by noopster : 6th October 2012 at 08:14. Reason: No profanity please
mac187 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2012, 10:33   #4
Senior - BHPian

Kudos to the samaritan.

Always dress for a crash but never let your gear give you a false sense of security. Research suggests that people ride a lot faster and take more risks assuming they are geared up and hence "invincible".

Dispose your helmet and get a new one. Helmets lose their structural strength after a crash so don't use them even if its for a short ride around the block to buy groceries.

Get well soon.
n_aditya is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2012, 12:03   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac187 View Post
We need more people like Dr. Abhilash. No selfless deed goes wasted, may God bless you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Kudos to the samaritan.
I blatantly drove past an accident once. Says a lot about people like Dr Abhilash who drop everything else and help out.

Thanks for the wishes. I don't think I'll be able to get back on the saddle in the next 6 months, but I hope to be better prepared next time around. Be safe all. Be extremely wary of all commercial vehicles.

I don't think anyone had the sense to take down the auto registration number. He had left the vehicle there and fled the scene. When my dad went to collect my motorcycle, there was no trace of the vehicle either. I've lodged an FIR just in case to cover all bases.
Old 3rd October 2012, 12:53   #6
Senior - BHPian

OMG, that was a bad accident you had. I hope you will recover fast and erase all those memories of the horrific incident. Hats off to the gentlemen who selflessly helped you.

There are really some good people out there coz when I had a recent fall from my Activa when it hit an i20, fortunately I escaped with few minor bruises but the moment I fell from the scooter I was thrown in the opp lane and immediately a few good souls blocked the on coming traffic and helped back on my feet. One of the souls parked my Activa to a side and somebody offered me a glass of water. I thanked them all but till date when I remember the incident I thank them in my thoughts.

Dont worry there are lots of Dr Abhilash out there, the question is how often do we become one.
ghodlur is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2012, 13:00   #7
BHPian

Saddened to hear about your accident Eswaran. I wish you a speedy recovery and may you get back to full fitness soon enough.

This unfortunate incident just goes to show that you cannot stress enough the importance of ATGATT.

Godbless that good samaritan. Providence exists and manifests partner.

And I sincerely hope that autorickshaw guy is brought to book. I'd be disappointed if he went scot-free.

Last edited by Omtoatom : 3rd October 2012 at 13:05.
Omtoatom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2012, 15:51   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
All I can recollect is seeing my left forearm forming an 'S' shape and I seemed to have hit my head pretty hard too.
Hello Reswaran,

Thank God you are saved & hope the injury on your forearm is not serious.

I have been riding my bike in Mumbai since last seven years & I generally take care while passing by auto's & Taxi's (epecially old fiat ones). They somehow have luxury of taking sharp turns at their whims & fancy. I am not generalizing here but based on my personal experience, I rarely remember any auto driver giving turn signals before turning left or right. It is we bikers who are supposed to be vigilant while passing by them.

Anyways we cannot change what has happed, wish you are speedy recovery & let us pray to God that incident like this never happens to anyone.

Thanks,
Jignesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2012, 16:32   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Note from Mod: There are several spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. This negatively affects the board experience for other readers.

Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use spell-checkers.

Last edited by GTO : 4th October 2012 at 15:35.
mpksuhas is offline   Received Infraction
Old 3rd October 2012, 17:07   #10
Senior - BHPian

Hat's off to people like Dr. Abhilash, the world is a much better place because of guys like him. Hope I can do my small bit if I get a chance. Get well soon Eswaran
kannan666 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2012, 14:13   #11
BHPian

Quote:
I had a terrible crash on my Bullet on Friday...
Wish you a speedy recovery mate. And yes, don't let this accident instill a fear of driving. Sometimes I just wonder; how unsafe are our roads for a 2 wheeler...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
...the question is how often do we become one.
That my friend, says it all. But again, you gotta be realistic and gauge the situation before being a good Samaritan. There have been horror stories where people helped and landed in (sometimes deep) trouble. Truly a sad state of affairs when one has to doubt helping fellow humans.
lordofgondor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2012, 14:28   #12
BHPian

Really sorry about your accident and a great hats off to Dr. Abhilash! You are really quite injured.

These auto rikshaw wala's are a menace everywhere. I have narrowly escaped such idiots in very nearly similar situations. And being here in Pune means this happens "everytime" you get in your car or ride your bike. And they are massive hooligans and quarrel and are ready assault you whenever they get a chance.

But more importantly you are safe now. Get well soon reswaran. And hope you meet Dr. Abhilash someday and get to thank him personally.

P.S. - Hope your bike is fine too.

Last edited by thumpingheart : 5th October 2012 at 14:44.
thumpingheart is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2012, 15:00   #13
BHPian

Very sorry to hear about your accident. Hope you make a full recovery.

As for the good samaritan, God bless him. You can probably search Facebook, LinkedIn or the good old Telephone directory and find Dr. Abhilash and thank him in person.
sunny310c is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2012, 16:45   #14
BHPian

Get well soon @reswaran.

On a similar note, today around 8:45 in the morning, I was in Jayanagar 7th block dropping my son to the school and on my way back heard a loud crash. Turned around and saw two scooters run into each other. Not sure who's mistake it was however one of the scooter riders (a couple) scooted from the scene. The victim, apparently a collage girl was all shocked and crying inconsolably. Even before I could stop my car and help her there was a couple again on a bike stop immediately and lifted the scooter, offered water and some basic first aid. I was so very happy to see that and was wanting to report it on TBHP. These are the kind souls who are still around and make life a bit better on these rough roads

I honestly salute all such selfless souls and pray god keeps making such people around us. We have to learn from such selfless acts.

Last edited by sumathindra : 5th October 2012 at 16:46. Reason: edits
sumathindra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2012, 18:07   #15
BHPian

This is a common scenario in all city's now a days. In Kolkata also, auto drivers will never wait for traffic-signals. If the lane is stuck due to traffic-jam they will simply took 90 degree turn to the outer lane without bothering anything. The biggest disappointment is that local cops are least bothered to teach them any lessons. We are helpless in this system, other than do a job like Dr. Abhilash. Hats off to him.

All I can say is, get well soon "reswaran".

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks