Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2022, 06:43   #181
BHPian

Re: Dangerous Trend : Kids standing & sticking out of Sunroofs!

To stop this menace (or, childrenace) the manufacturera must come up with Sunroof with a Grille or Bars to prevent passengers sticking their neck out.
But I doubt if the owners will retain those and not 'Saw' it off and get rid of it.
Amrik Singh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2022, 16:22   #182
Team-BHP Support

Not sure if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but was glad to read this news story -

Mumbai: Yes, poking head out of car's sunroof is an offence

Quote from the article -

Quote:
The Bandra-Worli Sea Link Traffic Police Inspector P Kamble said, “According to the Motor Vehicles (MV) Act, putting the head or body out of a (moving) car’s sunroof is considered an offense and violation of traffic rules.” Not many know about this, but this rule is not only applicable to vehicles traveling on the sea link but also to motorists on city roads, he underlined, adding that the act can lead to an investigation along with fine.

Last edited by Omkar : 27th November 2022 at 16:26.
Omkar is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 8th April 2023, 15:28   #183
BHPian

Video of ‘Godman’ Bageshwar Baba standing out of Land Cruiser SUV’s sunroof.

I am not exactly sure what he is trying to do though

Dangerous Trend : Kids standing & sticking out of Sunroofs!-landcruisersunrooffeatured12.jpg

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cqke4...d=ODM2MWFjZDg=
Old 7th May 2023, 08:28   #184
BHPian

https://www.manoramaonline.com/news/...suspended.html

Kerala MVD suspends the license of the driver who drove with three kids sitting on the sunroof, after the video shot by someone goes viral.
Night Raven is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2023, 09:14   #185
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Last weekend Sunday while driving back with my Father from Madras.
Around Vellore there is a nice big flyover and atop it, cruising right in the middle at no less than 60kmph with its flasher on, was a big TN19 registered BMW 530d and there were 3 kids sticking their heads neatly out of the sunroof. Had that driver swerved or braked we would have probably seen the curious phenomenon of a ‘flying child’. The footage of this will be in my dashcam but I cant be bothered downloading it.
And honestly, cruel though it may sound, I have zero empathy for such parents and families.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2023, 10:28   #186
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omkar View Post
Not sure if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but was glad to read this news story -

Mumbai: Yes, poking head out of car's sunroof is an offence

Quote from the article -
It HAS TO be. Even absent a specific rule to that effect, if I’m not mistaken, its compulsory to be buckled up even at the back, which you can’t be if your head is sticking out of the sun roof.

But agree - good that someone has clarified this specifically.
Axe77 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2023, 11:54   #187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amrik Singh View Post
To stop this menace (or, childrenace) the manufacturera must come up with Sunroof with a Grille or Bars to prevent passengers sticking their neck out.
But I doubt if the owners will retain those and not 'Saw' it off and get rid of it.
I am all for removing the sun roof from standard fitment of a vehicle. There will be hardly any takers the moment they charge for it.
Old 7th May 2023, 18:06   #188
BHPian

A welcome move by the Kerala MVD in suspending the license of a person driving a car, with kids sitting on the roof of a moving vehicle with their legs dangling in the cabin.

Quote:
The motor vehicle department has suspended the license of the owner of the car in Kunnamangalam, Kozhikode for driving dangerously with children sitting on the sunroof. The MVD’s action comes after footage of the driving went viral on social media.
More info here: https://india.postsen.com/local/506368.html
Aiel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2023, 20:26   #189
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Today.
Sarjapur Road.
Was driving with my Dad towards Decathlon around 230pm. Saw a Seltos on the opposite lane of oncoming trqffic with a kid with half her body outside the sunroof. It was stop start traffic. But the point is sudden braking and/ or sudden acceleration could have caused danger.
Not to mention the pollution and fumes that the kid must have been breathing in.
Old 7th May 2023, 20:34   #190
Senior - BHPian

We (my family and my friend's family) went on a trip to Kerala last weekend. We planned to take the Bandipur route while going and the Nagarahole route on return. Onward journey he made his kid pop out of the sunroof during the Bandipur drive. After we reached our place when I asked him he said it was a slow journey anyways and nothing to worry.

During the return journey, I had forgotten about this incident and my daughter went in his car along with my friend's daughter. In the Nagarahole stretch, he opened the sunroof and made both of them stand up. I got pissed and called him immediately (we were told not to stop the car at any cost) asking him to make my daughter sit but alas deed was done and she was not getting down. He continued and on the way one of the rangers scolded him and asked him to close the sunroof. He did but again opened it after some distance. After a while, another ranger was passing by and he stopped the car asking him to close, and scolded him harshly. Luckily he didn't dare to open it again.

As soon as we crossed the exit gate, I overtook him and asked him to stop, and got my daughter back to my car. While he is a dear friend of mine & a very good driver too, I wouldn't dare let my kids travel in his car any day.
TorqueyTechie is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 7th May 2023, 22:47   #191
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
During the return journey, I had forgotten about this incident and my daughter went in his car along with my friend's daughter. In the Nagarahole stretch, he opened the sunroof and made both of them stand up. .
Some people have this attitude that 'they are careful and nothing will happen...' but all it takes is a dog or something suddenly appearing on the road and a 'sudden braking' that follows. There have been instances of kids dying due to cables/threads used in flying kites as well.
Guna is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2023, 02:24   #192
Distinguished - BHPian

And some drivers think that speeds of 10, 20 or even 30 kph are "slow" and no harm can come to people in the vehicle. When talking of seat belts, I have often mentioned that most of us know what it is like to walk into something, or hit the head on a low ceiling. Somehow they forget that it hurts, and that is only maybe 3 to 5 kph.

And stop-start traffic? I know, from actual experience, that I am far more likely to have an accident on city roads than outside. And even without accidents, sudden stops are more likely, through a moment of inattention or expecting the person in front to do something else.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th September 2023, 11:14   #193
Distinguished - BHPian

A news appearing in todays newspaper shows the Hon'ble Union Minister for Road Transport and Highways, standing and viewing a flyover work from a SUV's sunroof.

We are talking about kids safety on this thread though, but are adults who stand and stick out of the sunroofs safe? An example is also set for others to emulate when a public figure, whose ministry drafts, finalises and gets enacted laws for road safety uses the sunroof thus.

Dangerous Trend : Kids standing & sticking out of Sunroofs!-nagpur-city-line_20230918.jpeg
anjan_c2007 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 18th September 2023, 15:13   #194
BHPian

Now what do we say about this?!
And especially about his guard/whatever holding on to cosmetic roof rails which surely aren't for load!
Attached Thumbnails
Dangerous Trend : Kids standing & sticking out of Sunroofs!-screenshot_2023091815114517_f9ee0578fe1cc94de7482bd41accb329.jpg  

lemedico is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2023, 16:25   #195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
A news appearing in todays newspaper shows the Hon'ble Union Minister for Road Transport and Highways, standing and viewing a flyover work from a SUV's sunroof.
The law works a bit different to people in/of power one assumes.

Some lawmakers act as custodians of the law whereas some others act above the very law they seek to enforce.

Who will bell the proverbial cat?
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks