Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2012, 18:43   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Dangerous Trend : Kids standing & sticking out of Sun-Roofs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post

I have noticed this trend in almost all cars with a sunroof. I am sure, most users are unaware on the actual purpose of a sun roof. It's not uncommon to see a German luxury car with 3-4 kids popping out their head through the roof.
Actually what is the purpose of sun roof?
I never understood what pleasures it brings to the people inside the vehicle ...
alpha1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2012, 18:46   #17
BHPian

Why cities?
I have seen a teenager standing on front seat with sunroof open on the Mumbai expressway - yes, you read it right - on expressway. Beat that.

Is there some prize for being so clueless and stupid???

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post

2. A disturbing observation is - Isn't the shape, size and overall design of a typical sunroof suggest one of its intended use as to stand with part of your body outside the car. I mean, if you want sunlight, a non-openable transparent/semi-transparent window on the roof would have sufficed. If you want wind in your hair as well, a narrow slit in the roof would have done that job. So, if the sunroofs are designed and given by the manufacturers so that people can stand and have part of their body out of the car, isn't that a problem with the car manufacturers (more than the customers)?
A different perspective SDP and I quite agree to it.
For some reason - I have never undrestood the very purpose of having something like sunroof. Let them open the window if they want wind on the face experience. And in Indian conditions, do we really need more sun?
Old 23rd October 2012, 18:48   #18
BHPian

In a country where people care two hoots about traffic rules & regulations, this is not surprising. Actually, its just not the illiterate, even the highly educated ones do not follow rules. Just now, I came across a gentleman (I was right behind him), who just stopped his car in the middle of the road (the road was clear with minimal traffic). The reason, this gentleman did not want to offend the almighty (temple on his left) and had to offer his prayers right in the middle of the road. I agree the system has to be tough on violations, but at the same time, its us, the citizens who should take the first step and be responsible. We Indians are not very considerate, atleast on the road.
shivasuma is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2012, 18:50   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Actually what is the purpose of sun roof?
I never understood what pleasures it brings to the people inside the vehicle ...
Maybe not in a polluted city infested with honking maniacs but on a nice winding country road, wouldn't you love the wind in your hair and sunshine on your face as you drive?

In fact I love the moonroof (closed transparent roof) concept more since it gives me a feeling of being one with nature as I drive, without the hassle of some crow dropping a gift on your noggin

But it makes some people sick (literally), as I found out on a recent TD with a friend. So it's not for everyone.

The point is: sunroofs serve a purpose. But putting your head through it in a moving vehicle is certainly not the intended purpose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by advaitlele View Post
Why cities?
I have seen a teenager standing on front seat with sunroof open on the Mumbai expressway - yes, you read it right - on expressway. Beat that.

Is there some prize for being so clueless and stupid???
Yup, have seen this too. Incredible.

Last edited by noopster : 23rd October 2012 at 18:52.
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2012, 19:02   #20
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 24th October 2012 at 21:50.
ottocycle is offline   Received Infraction
Old 23rd October 2012, 19:10   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by magneto View Post
Friends ,
I have been noticing a dangerous trend , where i see young children , standing on the front seat with half the body sticking out of the sunroof .
You also notice this on marine drive and Bandra and the sea link where the cars are driven pretty fast with the kids shouting and waving to cars around them .
A very risky business indeed, not just for the kid being thrown away but also for everybody in the car.
The sun roofs on skoda superb is not very user friendly to stand out and for that matter any of the cars with sun roof when sitting next to the driver. I wonder if the kids were in front seat because they seem to be in the centre. And this means they are partially standing on driver seat too, distracting the driver or on the gear shifter obstructing driver actions on such a busy street.

How can someone be so irresponsible? I am sure till date we do not have any clause related to violation of law for this action in Indian motor vehicle act.
Old 23rd October 2012, 19:10   #22
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHG
That is very risky!

[*]If an accident occurs, due to force of sudden deceleration the kids would experience broken ribs at the minimum![*]If the kids are in the process of sticking their head up or in the process of lowering it down the sun roof and the car does any sudden maneuver (not necessarily an accident-like situation), kids can experience a broken neck![*]If kids slip due to slippery front seat, again their necks are under risk![*]Far more common danger than this is kids sticking their heads out of windows and waving!
Watch the video of '50 ways to say goodbye', by the alternative rock group Train. It doesn't really involve a sunroof but it illustrates how a passing car can cause a beheading, if one is not careful. Imagine what a low hanging branch can do to a kid who is sticking his head out of a sun roof!
Old 23rd October 2012, 19:33   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
...Isn't the shape, size and overall design of a typical sunroof suggest one of its intended use as to stand with part of your body outside the car. I mean, if you want sunlight, a non-openable transparent/semi-transparent window on the roof would have sufficed. If you want wind in your hair as well, a narrow slit in the roof would have done that job. So, if the sunroofs are designed and given by the manufacturers so that people can stand and have part of their body out of the car, isn't that a problem with the car manufacturers (more than the customers)?...
Would like to add another point to this. Sunroof has an anti pinch feature. When you are trying to close it, if there is something in the way, like a part of your body, the roof stops closing. This is another thing that suggests that the sunroof is meant to be used for sticking your body out of it.
swarnava.m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2012, 19:40   #24
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.m

Would like to add another point to this. Sunroof has an anti pinch feature. When you are trying to close it, if there is something in the way, like a part of your body, the roof stops closing. This is another thing that suggests that the sunroof is meant to be used for sticking your body out of it.
At slow speeds yes I agree you can. But I think the anti pinch mechanism is to help in keeping your fingers safe like in the case of the vehicle windows. Must be the same mechanism being used in both applications.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2012, 20:22   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajanprash View Post
One more of the threats is that children standing out maybe hit by the branch of a tree or some falling object. I think most of the luxury car models would have this as a warning.
This is a dangerous phenomenon. I think that luxury car sellers in India should particularly tell the buyer not to do these kind of activities.
P.S.: Is there any such law against this in Western or European countries.
You will be surprised that children are not even allowed to sit in the front seat in these countries
magneto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2012, 20:32   #26
BHPian

This is a vary apt thread and another i'd classify under the list of 'lack of common sense'.

Its not just children or teenagers sticking their heads out of sun roofs, on Mumbai's Carter Road or Marine Drive, i've seen folks in their 20's early 30's also do these stunts.

Really we should have an entire forum category on Road safety. The list of daily offenses is endless.

Last edited by gomzi : 23rd October 2012 at 20:33.
Old 23rd October 2012, 20:38   #27
SDP
Team-BHP Support

This is what I meant by car-manufacturers sending a wrong signal and inspiring unsafe use of the sunroof:

Dangerous Trend : Kids standing & sticking out of Sunroofs!-honda_civic_sunroof-1.jpg
SDP is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2012, 20:39   #28
BHPian

Bollywood movies also play their part in such acts.

Young kids get inspired & try to do a la Ranbeer Kapoor kind of act which he did in 'Wake up Sid' movie song.
This was perfectly ok but for the kids they need supervision/monitoring.
Old 23rd October 2012, 21:14   #29
Team-BHP Support

I'm guilty of this misdemeanor!

In my (admittedly weak) defense, we only used to do that on -

- Deserted Goan roads (you know, those narrow village roads) or climbing up/down hill stations with sparse/non-existent traffic.
- Only after darkness, so that you could see lights from the oncoming traffic.
- Always at 20 - 30 Kmph.
- And no kids were involved.

It's fun. But the person driving the car needs to be very very careful, and keep an eye out for surprises.
SmartCat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2012, 21:26   #30
BHPian

If no one is sticking their head out of the sunroof, who on the road would notice that you have this luxury feature in your car ?
dr_anurag is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed