Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2018, 13:52   #106
Team-BHP Support

Re: Dangerous Trend : Kids standing & sticking out of Sunroofs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
Let me reiterate my point, everything, including sunroofs have their own dangers. Its important as a responsible parent to take care of such situations and own and be accountable to your Childs safety. But being concerned about other peoples safety is kind heartedness, not to be confused with the right to be intrusive of their privacy. Its simply wrong to assume you are being more responsible by unsolicited schooling of others.
It is natural for a responsible road user to be concerned/aware of his/her own safety as well as that of fellow road users. Around 20 years back, I remember alerting a motorbike rider because his pillion rider’s dupatta was dangerously close to the rear wheel. Lucky that they thanked me and not complain about invasion of privacy.

And whenever I see a toddler sticking her/his head out of the car window/sunroof, I will still feel for the child that how unaware or ignorant her/his parents are!
Related read
vb-saan is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th December 2018, 14:16   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
Question: How will you prove it is otherwise?
I will be a judge of that, especially speed .

Now that I have made my point. I wish to take this discussion no further.
Pramod
No offense mate, this is a blasè argument that I've come across by a T-BHPian !

Wonder if one among us themselves think this way, what of the common public that use our roads day in & out !?

I'm not trying to prove a point or belittle you, but by the logic you go - you can't blame / photograph / record / make a complaint against me if I drive on the roads HOWSOEVER I may wish; or from another perspective, if I'm not causing any "trouble" to you - it's none of your business ! No, I'm wrong -- as the new ad featuring Akshay Kumar goes, road is not my baap's property, even if he & I have/are paying road-tax ! As long as I am within civil limits of requesting/pleading with a person to drive sensibly, guess I am neither violating any law nor encroaching the other person's privacy.

Only submission here - let commonsense prevail and let us be responsible road users, because I am not just jeopardising my own safety perchance others' too by such gimmicks.
KrisTvpm is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th December 2018, 14:52   #108
Senior - BHPian

Not quoting anyone, Here are my 2 questions.

1. Is it illegal to put your head outside the sunroof while the car is running? If yes then it should be banned.

2. Should you give unsolicited advise to people?

Now, if someone is unware that their side stand is on or if their pillions dupatta is about to entangle in the motorcycle wheel, its common curtesy to inform.

Its better to hear the other side of the argument without being judgemental or sarcastic.

About child endangerment, how many of you remember Maruti Omni/800 and people (usually kids) sitting with their backs facing the driver with the rear hatch open? What happened to all those people?

The maruti 800 became common and people didn't find it cool anymore. . Once this feature which is now only available in a premium segment car is mainstream people will soon stop using it. Now the wind in the face feel is special, especially for a first timer. My dog used to open the rear window by herself and used to put her head out

Now people who think i am irresponsible, can think what ever they want to. I have owned my current car for 2 years and we have opened the sunroof only a handful times, out of which my kid stuck her head only once. Not to sound defensive, i am sure people who have sun roofs have at least done it once.

Now, there are many things we as humans do, even if we know its dangerous. How many of us have had a toddler riding pillion in the parents lap on a scooter or bike? so people who want to say that the physics will only not favour the rich who have sunroofs on the car then LOL

I know its heart-warming to hear that the kid died with his throat slit with a manja and the parent could do nothing, but putting the full responsibility on the parent and not on that idiot who decided to get the sharpest manja, something which can not only give him bragging rights that he cut the maximum kites, but he can now also add severed child's head to the list. No one is even remotely blamed that moron or tried banning manja, and the entire blame is on that poor father who must have given in to his child's repeated pleas.

I am all in for starting a petition to ban sunroofs, but when people sit on their highchairs and point fingers on others, and call others irresponsible then its plain hypocrisy.

PS: Being a BHPin doesn't give you any right to school anyone.

Before you pounce on me with your next quote, I want you to reflect, have you done nothing irresponsible on the roads? Never gone beyond speed limits? Never jumped signals? Never changed lanes without signalling?

I have listed couple of things above, i am just saying them for the sake of argument, doesn't mean that i have done all that

Pramod

Last edited by pramodkumar : 17th December 2018 at 14:56.
pramodkumar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th December 2018, 15:19   #109
Distinguished - BHPian

The following thread makes so much more sense now. Damn, I judged those pune citizens earlier

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ride-...lmet-rule.html (Pune Citizens form committee to oppose mandatory helmet rule)
kiku007 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th December 2018, 17:48   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisTvpm View Post
No, I'm wrong -- as the new ad featuring Akshay Kumar goes, road is not my baap's property, even if he & I have/are paying road-tax !

Thread:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...ml#post4444478 (Akshay Kumar as traffic policeman in new Road Safety ads)

People think that it was a publicity stunt from Akshay kumar. Needless to say I am a big fan of him and we should appreciate people who are supporting road safety rather than demeaning them.

Our honourable PM also joined the safety campaign with Akshay Kumar.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...ml#post4449371 (Akshay Kumar as traffic policeman in new Road Safety ads)

Last edited by roby_dk : 17th December 2018 at 17:49.
roby_dk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2018, 18:01   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roby_dk View Post
Thread:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...ml#post4444478 (Akshay Kumar as traffic policeman in new Road Safety ads)

People think that it was a publicity stunt from Akshay kumar...[/url]
Thanks for sharing the links!

Not sure if it was construed that undersigned has demeaned AK and his very sensible traffic safety ad series by any means, whereas have quoted it to promote better driving sense only !

Don't know why someone would think it was a "publicity stunt" when it's not created by the actor himself, rather by Ministry of Road Transport & Highways.
KrisTvpm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2018, 11:28   #112
Team-BHP Support

Let's articulate the risks of kids sticking heads out of sunroofs

1: You brake suddenly - chances are the head, chest internal organs are vulnerable to impact trauma on hitting the roof edge. depending on his/her height. Don't even start the I'm so careful excuse, if you are driving very slowly, you are an inconvenience to others. Even if you don't hit anyone, you could get hit - if hit from behind, the unsupported neck is subject to severe whiplash. An impact from any side can even throw the child out

2: God forbid but if you overturn. Can happen at a low speed if you hit a ramp or some object at an odd angle - the child will be thrown out or decapitated.
ajmat is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th December 2018, 11:37   #113
Distinguished - BHPian

Even if someone throws an empty bottle/can of a soft drink and hits a kid's eyes or face at drivings speeds, it can leave the child with some permanent damage.

To me, flying objects are the easiest items before anything else when the head is popping out of that roof. Even a hit from a bird flying low can be fatal.

Watch this and it gives way for one more danger - Falling objects from the top of the flyover!!

paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th December 2018, 11:51   #114
BHPian

While extraneous objects may collide with a person who is sticking their head / body through the sunroof or even through the sunroof into the car, the person could be injured badly if one had a brake hard and suddenly. Inertia would take over and the person could go flying out of the car or even be injured badly by the sheet metal.

It is also obvious that a person who is sticking their head out of the sunroof isn't restrained by a seat belt. We have many instances in various threads where seat belts have saved lives.
Old 18th December 2018, 12:38   #115
Distinguished - BHPian

Mr pramodkumar. You have been around this forum for quite a few years, and might have noticed that it is about our cars, our roads, the people that use them, and how those people use them, for better and for worse. We have threads about accidents, and their causes, and who might ave been at fault. We have threads about bad driving, with illustrated examples. And yes, we have threads about wider social issues such as manga, crackers, etc. It would seem from your posts that we should not have. Well, we do, and they are entirely in keeping with the spirit and aims of this forum.

The kind of hotheads who are risking their children's safety in the original post to which you object would probably not see this thread, and would probably not listen anyway, but, yes! This forum is about education. What about those who have simply never realised the risks of such tricks? What about those who simply don't know how dangerous certain common practices are? There is sucha thing as education, right? And this forum is a great place for it. And none of us are all so all-skilled and all-knowing that we can never learn, even about basic things. Even after decades of driving.

I'm all for naming and shaming in such instances. I wouldn't have even blurred the licence plate (licence plates are there for all to see, but it seems to be a forum custom to blur them). But above all I am for learning. And yes, I am sure there are times when my car's photograph might have ended up as a "see what this idiot is doing" post on this site. It hasn't happened yet, but what to do? Take the criticism and try to learn from it.

I don't know why you have picked on this thread. There are plenty of threads that you might prefer not to read. Well, I don't really want to know --- although you are entitled to your opinion.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 18th December 2018, 12:46   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
We have threads about bad driving, with illustrated examples. And yes, we have threads about wider social issues such as manga, crackers, etc. It would seem from your posts that we should not have. Well, we do, and they are entirely in keeping with the spirit and aims of this forum.

The kind of hotheads who are risking their children's safety in the original post to which you object would probably not see this thread, and would probably not listen anyway, but, yes! This forum is about education. What about those who have simply never realised the risks of such tricks? What about those who simply don't know how dangerous certain common practices are? There is sucha thing as education, right? And this forum is a great place for it. And none of us are all so all-skilled and all-knowing that we can never learn, even about basic things. Even after decades of driving.

I'm all for naming and shaming in such instances. I wouldn't have even blurred the licence plate (licence plates are there for all to see, but it seems to be a forum custom to blur them). But above all I am for learning. And yes, I am sure there are times when my car's photograph might have ended up as a "see what this idiot is doing" post on this site. It hasn't happened yet, but what to do? Take the criticism and try to learn from it.
In general, infusing complete practicality and truth..
deadguy25 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2018, 13:07   #117
Senior - BHPian

Other than sudden braking which could be dangerous, others dangers can happen in other modes of transport Maybe that is the reason why people think its ok. Once you move to a car, you avoid many of the dangers associated with 2 wheelers. Now some people want to carry forward the same risks ? During Cinco De Mayo people do these type of things and yes, even in US police allow them on that day

I am not supporting either side but just making another observation. My kids are always belted when the car is moving so I dont support it.

Last edited by srishiva : 18th December 2018 at 13:09.
Old 18th December 2018, 16:08   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Let's articulate the risks of kids sticking heads out of sunroofs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Mr pramodkumar. You have been around this forum for quite a few years, .
Agree with you, I accept its wrong, doing it on pubic road is also terrible idea. Not going to argue anymore just for the sake of argument .

Pramod
Old 19th December 2018, 13:02   #119
Team-BHP Support

The very fact that safety is a 'debatable' topic on a forum full of what I'd like to believe are enthusiasts who appreciate road safety and practice it everyday, is all the more reason for us to continue to harp on it.

There's no need to imagine what safety-ignorant road users are going, the accidents and traffic threads are thousands of pages long, growing longer as I type this.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 19th December 2018 at 13:03.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th December 2018, 13:27   #120
Senior - BHPian

I remembered this thread today while on my way to work, on a street in Ghatkopar on which I was driving at 30 kmph, a very small piece of wood, which was lying on the road was passed over by a rickshaw, somehow the rickshaw tyre went over it at such an angle that it tossed up and hit my windshield like a missile, there was a huge noise by the hit but the windshield did not break, if a child was standing with its head out the sunroof and if something like this had hit, there would be some major injury is how I see it.
humyum is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed