Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2013, 23:14   #61
BHPian

Re: Dangerous Trend : Kids standing & sticking out of Sunroofs!

From today's newspaper:

nareshov is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 18th June 2015, 20:48   #62
BHPian

No drive on the Bandra-Worli sea link is complete without an idiot spotting. This poor young lady is not just sticking her head out of the roof, she has her waist above roof level.

The driver also gets extra points for bizarre usage of hazard lights. I guess he is pronouncing himself a hazard to public safety.
Attached Thumbnails
Dangerous Trend : Kids standing & sticking out of Sunroofs!-sunroof.jpg  

reverse_gear is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th June 2015, 21:58   #63
Team-BHP Support

If that kid/person gets thrown out in an emergency braking maneuver (a plausible, if difficult scenario) and gets run over by another vehicle, who gets booked for causing death by negligence?

The moron driving the sunroof equipped contraption or the unfortunate guy who has the bad luck of being in the vicinity?

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
AFAIK, won't the person sticking out of the sunroof be run by the same car that they are in? Upon emergency braking, they'll be thrown forward putting under the wheels of the car they were travelling in.
I know it sounds far-fetched, but given India's bizarre traffic acrobatics, it's not impossible that the person gets thrown out of the car and rolls forward, the driver manages to brake in time but someone else cuts in and grievously injures the road-hugger (e.g. imagine the driver jumping a signalled junction at night, then suddenly spotting a crossing car and brakes heavily). Implausible? Probably. Impossible in India? Nothing's impossible in India!

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 18th June 2015 at 22:14.
Old 18th June 2015, 22:09   #64
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
If that kid/person gets thrown out in an emergency braking maneuver (a plausible, if difficult scenario) and gets run over by another vehicle, who gets booked for causing death by negligence?
AFAIK, won't the person sticking out of the sunroof be run by the same car that they are in? Upon emergency braking, they'll be thrown forward putting under the wheels of the car they were travelling in.
Old 18th June 2015, 23:34   #65
Senior - BHPian

Hang out at Carter road/Marine drive/Nariman Point on a weekend and you will see fools galore, mostly in big cars. The day these cars brake hard, the kids on the roof are going to launch like missiles, but hey no one ever said rich people cannot be dumb.

Somedays back, I saw a 6 year old girl sitting on the glass of backside window which was 3/4th closed which was 3/4th closed and their parents merrily eating Dosas from the road side stall. On being warned, they got her down and 2 minutes later, she was back and they did not care. If that glass breaks while she is sitting on it, I can't fathom what will happen, but I wish people like these never had children.
humyum is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2015, 08:09   #66
BHPian

This was today at 7.15am on Chennai, Besant Nagar near Theosophical society. This was taken when vehicle was on the move. There was a police patrol vehicle on this road and they were just looking at this like a common public. They did not stop the vehicle. Was it an appropriate use of sun roof.

There seems to be some problem in loading the photo. Will share it after sometime.

Dangerous Trend : Kids standing & sticking out of Sunroofs!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1434683720.256519.jpg

This was the picture.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 19th June 2015 at 09:35. Reason: Posts merged
Old 19th June 2015, 11:00   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
The car will stop upon braking.
Whereas there is no brake acting upon the person flying.
Therefore the car will stop before (distance wise, as well as time wise) the person hits ground.
alpha1 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2015, 07:41   #68
BHPian

This picture was taken during my Chennai Guruvayoor trip on 20th June. The vehicle was going towards Thrissur and the picture was taken on Palakkad bypass.

Dangerous Trend : Kids standing & sticking out of Sunroofs!-using_sun_roof.jpg

Last edited by couswheels : 22nd June 2015 at 07:41. Reason: paragraph editing
Old 22nd June 2015, 09:30   #69
Senior - BHPian

Not the manufacturer's fault to equip their cars with a sunroof. If we have roads filled with morons no manufacturer can be responsible for misuse of equipment.
I believe its the same reason why people on high end bikes like to ride without helmets, the public is got to see their faces, to see how rich they are, to afford their high end rides with sunroof and how much fun their kids are having with wind in the hair and their cool papa/mama driving away merrily.
Old 22nd June 2015, 09:44   #70
Senior - BHPian

These kids were sticking themselves out of a window!! And weaving in and out of traffic. This was spotted on a recent trip to Goa with my friends. These kids were almost similar to our age and we were sad to see that due to the acts of a few, the reputation of young people is tarnished.
Attached Thumbnails
Dangerous Trend : Kids standing & sticking out of Sunroofs!-1434946298854.jpg  

blackwasp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2016, 12:53   #71
Senior - BHPian

This accident shows how dangerous is to stick out of sunroof. A little girl lost her life due to manjha while she was popping out of sunroof..
http://www.hindustantimes.com/delhi/...YBSe6UVAN.html
Old 16th September 2016, 20:28   #72
BHPian

Need some advice guys.

I am also guilty of using the sunroof while driving. However, my kid as well as wifey use it only when on highways (non-ghat and non-express highways) and at speed close to 10-15Kmph on the left lane. Is this still considered dangerous?
Old 16th September 2016, 21:52   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viv3k View Post
Need some advice guys.

I am also guilty of using the sunroof while driving. However, my kid as well as wifey use it only when on highways (non-ghat and non-express highways) and at speed close to 10-15Kmph on the left lane. Is this still considered dangerous?
Yes it is.

10-15 kmph is enough speed to cause nasty injuries to any one who is not in his or her seat and not belted up.

If you love your wife and kid, STOP IT.
Ramon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th September 2016, 04:29   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Need some advice guys.

It is HIGHLY dangerous. Please stop doing this.

I am surprised that legislation in India is more concerned about mandating rear-parking sensors on cars rather than clamping down on dangerous and inappropriate driving. And how can the police just stand by and let people do things like this?
Old 17th September 2016, 11:10   #75
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Need some advice guys.

Well frankly I don't recommend it at all, but if you have to do it, then not on highways whatever the speed. Do it on a private road, or a driveway or a completely empty road, maybe for a couple of seconds. Still not recommended.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks