Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2016, 14:53   #76
BHPian

Re: Dangerous Trend : Kids standing & sticking out of Sunroofs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramon View Post
Yes it is.

10-15 kmph is enough speed to cause nasty injuries to any one who is not in his or her seat and not belted up.

If you love your wife and kid, STOP IT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeper1941 View Post
It is HIGHLY dangerous. Please stop doing this.

I am surprised that legislation in India is more concerned about mandating rear-parking sensors on cars rather than clamping down on dangerous and inappropriate driving. And how can the police just stand by and let people do things like this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay1234 View Post
Well frankly I don't recommend it at all, but if you have to do it, then not on highways whatever the speed. Do it on a private road, or a driveway or a completely empty road, maybe for a couple of seconds. Still not recommended.
Okay, the point has hit home and I don't think we will be doing this while the car is moving. Not going to happen again. Instead, we have decided to part the vehicle enjoy all we want and move on!!

PS: I think many people, like me are unaware of the problems posed (though I knew that emergency braking would cause issues and hence kept the speeds low). We need to educate more people about this because honestly, I have never seen a man put anything ahead of his wife, children and family.
Viv3k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2018, 20:02   #77
Team-BHP Support

I was seriously taken aback. A kid and a woman hanging out and the Honda City was weaving a bit too much, don't really know the reason, but..
Attached Thumbnails
Dangerous Trend : Kids standing & sticking out of Sunroofs!-img_20180617_190157.jpg  

Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2018, 09:09   #78
Senior - BHPian

For all such people using sunroofs to experience the 'wind in the hair' feeling, there is a much cheaper option where you do not end up looking like a moron. Wait, a moron who is trying to show off. Ride pillion on a bike; most of the pillion seats are raised higher anyway. No one will bat an eyelid and you don't need to spend so much money either. It would be really weird to be injured (at best, though much worse could happen) due to the sunroof in a car which most probably has a zillion other safety features to protect you. Cars can only protect against some incidents, not against idiocy.

PS - As these people are brave (stupid?) enough to stick their head out of the sunroof of a moving car, I presume they would not venture wearing a helmet anyway. So 'wind in the hair' guaranteed.
selfdrive is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th June 2018, 12:53   #79
BHPian

Just the other day, saw 2 youngsters 'seated' on the roof of an X3, with their legs dangling in the sunroof. Another one was standing with his neck sticking out of the sunroof.
Amazing India!

On the other hand, is the roof structure for X3 solid enough to handle this or will there be a surprise when they get home?
DuHasstMich is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2018, 21:22   #80
Team-BHP Support

A couple of hours back around 7 PM, I was returning home. As I cross the toll gate at Gachibowli for the Hyderabad ORR, a dark car emerged from a lane, furthest to me.

It had a kid standing with her torso outside the sun roof. The car was so fast that I could not even register, which model or make it was. I think it was a Mercedes but I may be mistaken.

The car continued its high speed all the way towards the left down ramp. I had my kids secured in their respective child seats. Even then I would not dare to take the ramp at the kind of speed that car took. WITH THE KID STILL EXPOSED LIKE THAT.

To be honest, I am still not over the shock of witnessing such a horrible act of child endangerment.
bblost is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th July 2018, 22:32   #81
Senior - BHPian

Recently I found a person standing with her head and torso out of the torso on a Mercedes. The weird thing was this was a test drive car with the sales person in the car. I don't know whether he was demonstrating this as a feature to potential clients.
BenjiRoss is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th July 2018, 08:30   #82
Team-BHP Support

When there is lawlessness everywhere and people don't have the basic discipline to drive or courtesy to not honk/give way, this is a lame thing.

People don't know what is the sun-roof for? What do you expect them to do with it, just yesterday saw a kid [boy of 7-8 years] standing in a Honda WR-V.
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2018, 08:43   #83
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
People don't know what is the sun-roof for? What do you expect them to do with it, just yesterday saw a kid [boy of 7-8 years] standing in a Honda WR-V.
People don't know probably is the fact. And our movies also could be an influence.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2018, 10:18   #84
BHPian

Last week, while driving home saw this Honda city ahead of me with a kid (8-9) years old sticking out of the sun roof. Both parents (I’m assuming) were in the car, but the kid had a jolly good time letting the wind in her air.

Reaching a traffic light, we were both parallel, and through sign language i asked him to bring the kid down and belt in. Surprisingly, he acknowledged and told his kid to sit down.

My euphoria was short lived because shortly after we left the signal, the kid was back to her devil may care way, leaving me to grin & bear, for ultimately, it’s his funeral not mine (pun intended).

The saddest part is that the educated folks do the maximum law breaking, not sure what it will take to knock some sense.

Cheers
kutoos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2018, 10:53   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
People don't know probably is the fact. And our movies also could be an influence.
It may be time for a popular movie (Dharma/ Yashraj?)to show an accident like this and the repercussions. Hopefully that will drill some sense into people.

Or maybe with those anti tobacco ads during movies, road safety ads should be mandated as well.
selfdrive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2018, 11:31   #86
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
It may be time for a popular movie (Dharma/ Yashraj?)to show an accident like this and the repercussions. Hopefully that will drill some sense into people.

Or maybe with those anti tobacco ads during movies, road safety ads should be mandated as well.
Absolutely! It need not be even long-drawn like those tobacco awareness. At least a few 10-15 seconds snippets on unsafe practices on road can have a huge impact.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2018, 12:05   #87
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
At least a few 10-15 seconds snippets on unsafe practices on road can have a huge impact.
A colleague was considering the WRV just for the Sunroof - said his kids liked it. I showed him the pictures of the sad and unfortunate accidents reported in this thread - and he was like - But manja is not used in Bangalore much, and kids can have some occasional fun - no issues.

No amount of videos can knock safety sense into our culture - where the age old helmet and seat belt rules are yet to be enforced.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th July 2018, 14:44   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
No amount of videos can knock safety sense into our culture - where the age old helmet and seat belt rules are yet to be enforced.
I am all against putting your head out of a running car's sunroof, however doesn't argument hold true for everything dangerous? Bikes, fast cars, Swords, Knifes

Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2018, 15:47   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
I am all against putting your head out of a running car's sunroof, however doesn't argument hold true for everything dangerous? Bikes, fast cars, Swords, Knifes

+1
I have the same feeling here while I do not support hanging out of car but what about the two wheeler in that case they are always in danger. I don't find any issues on stationary vehicle or empty roads for couple of seconds. This is still better than people hanging out from side windows which is damn scary.
Old 9th August 2018, 16:28   #90
BHPian

I found this pic of a movie star from Andhra Pradesh & a political party functionary standing on the car's seat and waving to the crowds through the sun roof. I can't confirm if the car was moving, but this seems a futile thing to do. You could very well wave from inside the car. These people are in the public eye and they should act responsibly. And she is not even a kid!

Dangerous Trend : Kids standing & sticking out of Sunroofs!-1533812251326.jpg
esoticoreventon is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks