Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2012, 12:32   #1
Senior - BHPian

How do you deal with a faulty traffic signal?

This morning I went to the Bangalore City railway station to pick up somebody. On the way, I noticed something strange. There was a traffic signal, which I believe was faulty.

The time was around 6 am. At this time, most of the traffic signals were blinking orange. But there was this one particular signal which was stuck at red.

I saw the red signal and waited for a while (even at 6 am). But after a while, I realised that the signal was red for traffic coming from all the directions.

Other vehicles started honking and moving. So I also moved on (after ensuring that there was no traffic coming from any other direction).

On my way back, I passed the same signal. And by now, it was almost 7:30 am. The traffic had started building by now. But again, the traffic signal was stuck at red for the traffic coming from all directions.

Again I waited for a while. But the vehicles behind me started getting impatient. So I again jumped the "red" signal.

I would like to know from other members whether you have faced a similar situation and how you dealt with it.

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2012, 12:42   #2
BHPian

Re: How do you deal with a faulty traffic signal ?

I had faced a similar problem few days back on Sony World Junction. I was coming from Koramangala Depot side towards Sarjapur Road and the signal was RED. It was Green for the traffic from Oasis towards Water Tank. I stood there waiting for it to go Green, around 3 minutes passed and there was no change. Soon it was 5 minutes and the Indicab behind me started to honk loudly and tried pushing me. No way I could have taken the risk to cross when the vehicles from other directions were zooming past. After repeatedly being honked, I asked him to look at the signal and gave him the way to cross. He immediately drove past me and blocked the traffic. This was when all others got their quota and started crossing. It was total chaos!
Am not sure what to be done, one moment I thought of getting down and with help of few others try managing manually (no cops in the vicinity), but i highly doubt if people would have tried understanding such efforts.
In such cases, just pray that you are not at the front row!
Old 22nd November 2012, 12:44   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post

Other vehicles started honking and moving. So I also moved on (after ensuring that there was no traffic coming from any other direction).
Quote:
I would like to know from other members whether you have faced a similar situation and how you dealt with it.
A very valid problem, and I completely relate with you on this issue. We are forced to sometimes move on even when the signal is red, and we later feel guilty for doing that.

The worst part is the other road users who think we are some kind of idiots to try and follow the rules (blocking the road) even when we can save time by easily jumping it and moving on.

In some such situations, I have seen the traffic policemen manually gesturing traffic to avoid getting confused and move on. Sometimes, there is no one to bother. We can wait till eternity, and finally give up and move on after say 4-5 minutes. There is nothing else one can do.

Last edited by KarthikK : 22nd November 2012 at 12:45.
Old 22nd November 2012, 12:52   #4
Senior - BHPian

I have once faced the opposite situation. It happened one day about 2-3 weeks back at around 9pm. I reached a signal near my home (Kakkanad signal near Collectorate) and the signal was "red" for me. I waited for it to turn "green" and when it did I started moving forward. To my surprise few cars from the opposite direction (who wanted to turn right) also started taking the turn. I was frustrated with people jumping the signal and moved forward when they made their turn and then a bike a attempted the same turn and came to a stop just beside my car. He then shouted at me, pointing to the signal in his direction, telling me it was "green" for him!! I pointed out my signal to him - "green" for me. We both smiled and continued.
Old 22nd November 2012, 13:16   #5
Senior - BHPian

What will you do if you see all three lights glowing?

Believe it or not, has happened with me in Chennai, quite often! Infact even the normal signal-jumpers (autos, cabs and MTC buses) were dumbstruck by this. and later was reported in the news papers that since CCTP has not paid dues to the maintenance company, the signals were not maintained and something went wrong in the circuits.
Old 22nd November 2012, 13:18   #6
BHPian

Re: How do you deal with a faulty traffic signal?

Quote:
I would like to know from other members whether you have faced a similar situation and how you dealt with it.Rohan
You can report it to the Traffic Police via their Facebook page. Saves you the trouble of having to call or visit them in person.
Attached Thumbnails
How do you deal with a faulty traffic signal?-untitled.jpg  

Last edited by vinu_h : 22nd November 2012 at 13:25.
vinu_h is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2012, 13:22   #7
Senior - BHPian

I would have called Yellow Pages, got the nearest police stations number and reported it. Have done it before, well they fixed the problem later during the day but ensured they had a traffic constable man the junction.
rjstyles69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2012, 13:34   #8
BHPian

In Mumbai, have never faced a problem where the RED light or all the three lights are glowing. If a signal is faulty, it is switched off.
Here in my locality, there is a chowky(a small police room) just next to which is a traffic signal that does not glow half the time in the year. Even if it glows, no one there follows it.
The times when it is faulty, I look around for traffic and then slowly make my way keeping an eye in all the directions.
Old 22nd November 2012, 13:52   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post
What will you do if you see all three lights glowing?

Something like this?
Seen in Bangalore (Old Madras road, near Indiranagar BDA complex.)
How do you deal with a faulty traffic signal?-30102012627.jpg
sanjaykk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2012, 13:54   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Here's a pic of a faulty signal that I took few months back. Vehicles were coming from all directions but luckily managed to find a cop trying to handle the situation.
Attached Thumbnails
How do you deal with a faulty traffic signal?-263979_10150217349080808_5274570_n.jpg  

naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2012, 13:56   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaykk View Post
Something like this?
Seen in Bangalore (Old Madras road, near Indiranagar BDA complex.)
Attachment 1017323
Exactly, add a right turn signal to it and imagine the chaos on a 6 laned road with a 4 side junction(free left)!
Edit: I see the pic by Naveen sir shows the situation.
OTOH, one can report to CCTP on their FB page, although I have not tried but I see that CCTP is quite active on FB, so as many here suggest, might help.

Last edited by AlphaKilo : 22nd November 2012 at 14:00.
Old 22nd November 2012, 14:39   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This morning I went to the Bangalore City railway station to pick up somebody.

Rohan
Have faced this situation a couple of occasions. I just waited for 2-3 minutes and went ahead on my way, but only after making sure no vehicle was coming from any of the crossroads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoNanu View Post
I had faced a similar problem few days back on Sony World Junction.
This Sony world junction has a Surveillance camera above the signal to catch offenders. Hope the Indica guy and others were caught.
But what you did was right. When other vehicles are honking madly behind you, there is nothing much we can do, except rue the fact that we are first in line or step aside.

I have noticed many times at the MG road Town Hall Junction, coming from Cauvery emporium side. With a Horizontal signal with four lamps, the right signal will be red, and the extreme left will be green. Does this mean its a stop for the Right/ U turn and a go ahead for straight moving traffic?

Last edited by hrman : 22nd November 2012 at 14:45.
Old 22nd November 2012, 16:08   #13
Senior - BHPian

Yup, when I first came back to Bangalore those red signals with a green arrow confused me too. Crazy logic involved, but it means you can only go straight and left, but you can't turn right.

I normally wait for a signal to turn green before I go irrespective of how long it takes. I try to follow the rules as much as possible. Why don't people here understand that if everybody follows the rules, everybody gets there faster.

If the lights are not working, I learnt to use the four way stop rule (driving in south Africa). First one in goes out and let it go round all four roads. Doesn't take more than a minute or two and there is never a jam because everyone is trying to go at the same time.
Old 22nd November 2012, 22:45   #14
BHPian

Hey, this happens many times in Mumbai especially after 11.30 pm where traffic density is less. In such a case, you just have to follow the orders of the vehicle honking behind you in order to escape some curses from them.
Old 23rd November 2012, 11:50   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
I would have called Yellow Pages, got the nearest police stations number and reported it. Have done it before, well they fixed the problem later during the day but ensured they had a traffic constable man the junction.
The right thing to do is call up police at 100 ph no. and info the same. At the same time switch off the signals to avoid confusion, this way the drivers can practice the drill of stop, look and go. The switch is placed at the base of one of the signals.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks