Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2012, 21:56   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Scary experience with rowdy & violent bikers. A-Star damaged

Wow. What an eye opener for me. I sometimes find these HONDA DIO gangs cutting across lanes aggressively in and around KP. I will ignore them from now on.

Calling 100 seems to be only solution. Thank you Sire !!

Would a butch SUV face the same situation ? A Fortuner or a Scorpio or a Safari would have helped ?

Last edited by F150 : 23rd November 2012 at 21:59.
Old 23rd November 2012, 23:47   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Would a butch SUV face the same situation ? A Fortuner or a Scorpio or a Safari would have helped ?
No a Fortuner would not help. But a Fortuner with 7 well built guys will help. A fortuner carrying 7 well built guys and a political flag will even make them scoot away before you know it.

Jokes apart it all boils down to show of strength in front of these guys. Alone none of these morons would have the guts to even ask you for a lift. In a group and seeing you alone they start acting tough.
Old 24th November 2012, 00:41   #33
BHPian

!.If you are scared, do not venture out alone.
2.If you can pretend not to be scared then it could be a learning experience.
3. There are lunatics on our roads and our equally retarded fellow road users would like to blame the bigger set of wheels. But once they have to choose from wallet to wheels its usually wallet.

its all complicated, simple solution, if your scared but have to ride at times alone, get a suv and fix a flag post. And in white. You dont have to have any flag.

If your more chicken than that, employ a driver for late drives or better still just take a cab from a local known operator.
Old 24th November 2012, 08:26   #34
Senior - BHPian

If one remains cool and doesn't panic,may be he can try and click pics of these rowdy's/ their bike number plates, surrounding his car using a phone, dial 100 (or atleast pretend like he is)and shout out that the cops will arrive soon.

May be that should make them disappear ?
Old 24th November 2012, 12:58   #35
MAS
Senior - BHPian

It is a sad incident and unfortunately such incidents are on the increase.

Mad bullies are everywhere. The way they "act" depends on how we "react" to the situation. If they feel that the person is strong, they will get away with just a stare, verbal abuse and some hand signals. If they sense that the person is scared, then they go all out, one competing the other to create maximum damage.

A pepper spray, tazer gun or any other defensive equipment will ONLY help if the person is not scared. If the person is scared, this may actually become worse. I am not saying that we should mow down the guys, but do not be submissive. If it is not your fault, stand by it. Asking "Sorry" for something you have not done will only show that the person is scared and these morons will be encouraged by it.

I have always stood my ground in some of similar incidents i have faced and the mischief makers have always bowed down. May be it is because of my height and built, but hey, i will not bow down unless it is my fault.

Drive Safe Guys.
Old 24th November 2012, 15:59   #36
BHPian

That is a scary incident to be in. When they are in a group it takes more time for them to calm their ego down.
Call the cops when things start getting out of hand in a matter of few mins.
Start clicking pictures of them and the bikes. They will run for cover.

Any small bump, brush, crash
First thing I do is pull out my phone camera.

Have a had an experience with an auto wala for splashing water onto his legs in 1 feet deep water on the roads when it was raining.
Cops where there in matter of 5 mins.

Crazy things happen.

I don't loose my cool anymore on the road.
I have many times in the past and repented later.
Trying to fight with someone or teach them the right way of driving is all pointless. Just move away or call the cops.
Dont waste one bit of your energy.
Stay putt locked inside your car.
Dont even bring the window down one bit or look at them.
Damages on the car is easier to repair.

IMHO- With the heat and mental pressure in Chennai, people are waiting for a moment to let out all the pent up anger. So I always watch out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
I have always stood my ground in some of similar incidents i have faced and the mischief makers have always bowed down.{
You must stop doing that. Just move away.
No point in trying to prove a point to an angry human = animal.
Visaster is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th November 2012, 16:07   #37
BHPian

I have had similar experiences living and driving in Delhi.

In one instance, I was driving on a colony road at a speed of 30-40 kph, and when I had to take a right turn, I gave my indicator, checked my wing mirror and then proceeded to take the turn, and suddenly a biker rammed into my car on my side, and fell down. I stopped, and went to him, helped him in getting up, lifted his bike, and in the meantime, some passersby gathered. The biker, admitted his mistake and was keen on leaving but the onlookers (one of them was known to him) created a drama and tried to talk him into asking me for money. However, the situation was resolved soon and I took him for first aid as he had some minor bruises. Finally, he thanked me and moved on. However, my car suffered a lot of damage as the driver side door, fender and ORVM had to be replaced completely.

In another instance, I was in my accent, on a red signal, waiting to go straight. When the signal turned green, I moved forward, and two bikers, one triple riding and one double, tried to go right by coming in front of me from the left and they scraped my front bumper. I lowered my window asked them to watch it, and they stopped and replied in abuses. At the first instance, I decided to let it go, but they followed the car and kept on abusing while driving side by side. Finally, I stopped, and me and 2 of my friends, who were not visible from outside due to tinted glasses, came out. i asked what there problem was. In the meanwhile, one of them lifted a brick Then, there was no looking back, the action had started. 3 of them just ran away after seeing our guts and 2 were easily over-powered and handed over to the police. The SHO, being known to me, gave them a very good treatment there and finally, released them after a lot of money and apologies from their parents.
SHANKY11 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th November 2012, 18:08   #38
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visaster View Post
You must stop doing that. Just move away.
No point in trying to prove a point to an angry human = animal.
Got your point.

I am not a street fighter or any sorts. I mostly move away from the place, but if someone wants to play mischief and if i am alone (not with family), then i give them back.
Old 25th November 2012, 12:05   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150
Wow. What an eye opener for me. I sometimes find these HONDA DIO gangs cutting across lanes aggressively in and around KP. I will ignore them from now on.

Calling 100 seems to be only solution. Thank you Sire !!

I have noticed that no one gets into too much trouble with bigger vehicles. Mostly its the hatch and sedan drivers who are targeted.
Old 25th November 2012, 16:42   #40
Senior - BHPian

BEWARE !

Tonight the roads are going to be infested with these kind of thugs and their gangs on bikes - specially the Bandra reclamation , Versova , Mahim Causeway area
Old 26th November 2012, 14:33   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post

OT - Would a in-car camera help in such cases, as to record whats goin on ahead of the car. i think in todays times, it can greatly help people who are involved in such issues.
Exactly what I was thinking for a few days. This is a common problem in almost all major cities - have seen this in Mumbai, and now in Pune and BLR. I am sure other cities are also facing same problem.

Can the camera fit in the car facing front and rear help here? Rear camera - can come in handy in case of accident as well.
If someone post a few details or start / direct us to approproate thread would be great help.
advaitlele is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2012, 18:18   #42
BANNED

Hmmm!
This is indeed the state in the large cities & metros of India today. The scene has become like this only in the past decade. In the 80s & 90s, there were certain shady areas in Bangalore where I used to run into hooligans/rowdies & we used to avoid those places. Now I face them in all parts of the city; not everyday, but atleast once a month. Looks like moral values & manners have dropped in cities & this also happens bcos of the floating population. I have faced hooligans & such trouble makers while moving around in my car or bike. Some solutions that work some of the time:
1. Just say "Sorry Guru" with a smile & keep moving. If it was an ego issue for the other guy, he'll go away.
2. If the people are hellbent on creating trouble & hitting your car or blocking your way, tell them that we can go to the nearby police station & decide the matter. Say that you are a lawyer and you have been living in that area since 10+ years.
3. Don't EVER agree to give a single rupee or even think about it. Those who intend to extort money will keep bugging you. Tell them upfront that they can beat you or your car, but u r not going to pay anything.
4. Call your friends (if u have any in that area) just to show that you have support, but not to quarrel with them.
5. There are crooks who move around in old autos/cabs/bikes & intentionally touch our cars & argue & then ask for money. I have encountered such guys & when I mentioned that we can go to the PS, they got discouraged & spat on my car/face & walked away.

When I visit smaller towns, even if I accidentally touched or blocked a vehicle, just an apology worked.
rampaps is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2012, 20:20   #43
BHPian

Phew! That was real close. Thankful that you did not have any limb or life damage. On the other hand somewhere on this forum one of our members who was karate champ just gave the moron biker his due and broke a few bones.

Take care and put the past behind you. Carry on with life . Cheers
Prasad
Dieseldunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2012, 17:12   #44
BHPian

I have been in Such situations myself.. Moronic bikers cutting you off. There has been several occasions when they stop their bikes and get down and come hurling at you. I have said sorry a couple of times but it works 50/50.. They either drag up the issue like a chewing gum and fail to reason. In such cases I don't give up either, I just get down from the car and ask them "WHAT NOW? Are you going to hit me? Come on Hit me!! I am here". This works 100%. No matter how many they are. The more you sulk away the more you will be tortured. Of course the issue gets dragged further but they do not dare touch you or your car.

I once saw a guy on a lancer take on 10 young bikers all alone.. He got down from his car and the bikers whimpered away!!

Last edited by yamaniac : 18th December 2012 at 17:15.
yamaniac is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2012, 15:44   #45
BHPian

These idiots are everywhere. They can be frequently spotted at Worli seaface or Marine Drive late night. What is shocking is that so much time, money and effort is spent on frivolous activities such as painting the dividers every few months or planting trees in the middle of the road and no effort is made to get rid of these maniac bikers!! Clearly, our priorities are not right.
In such as situation it is best to ignore them and keep calm. As soon as I see/hear these guys coming from behind, I let my foot off the throttle so that they don't nick my car (they cut in sharply after overtaking). As Rehaan pointed out, it is very important not to brake hard or swerve when these guys are approaching. Given the laws in our country, a driver of a 4 wheeler will be blamed even if its the fault of the 2 wheeler. So I try and maintain a good distance from 2 wheelers whenever possible.

Most Viewed